or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Blockchain CEO calls Apple 'gatekeeper to innovation,' says Bitcoin app removal signals payments push
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blockchain CEO calls Apple 'gatekeeper to innovation,' says Bitcoin app removal signals payments... - Page 3

post #81 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post
 

 

A 'troll' is not someone who just disagrees with you. You are also completely misrepresenting my argument, I believe maliciously.

 

Bitcoin is not illegal. It is accepted by shops and businesses across the US (see coinmap.org).

 

These other payment systems are not engaging in 'nefarious activities'. Where did I say this? What I did say is that these are all doing the same as bitcoin apps - enabling electronic transfer of value between individuals and businesses. So why are these allowed when bitcoin apps aren't? 

Although soon it will only be accepted at low-bob cigarette shops and other low life sundry's since it will only be on android.

And we all know how little $$ the droid dorks have.

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #82 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

A 'troll' is not someone who just disagrees with you. You are also completely misrepresenting my argument, I believe maliciously.

Bitcoin is not illegal. It is accepted by shops and businesses across the US (see coinmap.org).

These other payment systems are not engaging in 'nefarious activities'. Where did I say this? What I did say is that these are all doing the same as bitcoin apps - enabling electronic transfer of value between individuals and businesses. So why are these allowed when bitcoin apps aren't? 

A troll is someone that is purposely being obtuse to derail a thread but I'll give you one last chance to prove you are not. If bitcoin is a legal tender in the US and fully allowed by law or recognized by a legal system to be valid for meeting a financial obligation where is written as such? Why would the US government support an untraceable, unaccountable form of currency at all, much less that is so new? Bonus question: If I take the heroin molecule and slightly convert its structure slightly to be something new but still offer the same effects of heroin does that mean I can see this new drug without any fear of penalty simply because it's not defined as being an illegal substance since I just created it?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #83 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

What a horrible person you must be.

You are the one that sounds like a horrible person but if you really want an unregistered form of currency that is accepted by financial institutions per government regulations you should trade in bearer bonds.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #84 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

if money laundering is considered legal then Apple should definitely allow these kind of apps.


Yeah, and they should outlaw any other kind of app that uses US dollars also, since 99% of money laundering uses US currency.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If bitcoin is a legal tender in the US and fully allowed by law or recognized by a legal system to be valid for meeting a financial obligation where is written as such? Why would the US government support an untraceable, unaccountable form of currency at all, much less that is so new? Bonus question: If I take the heroin molecule and slightly convert its structure slightly to be something new but still offer the same effects of heroin does that mean I can see this new drug without any fear of penalty simply because it's not defined as being an illegal substance since I just created it?

I don't know what your obsession with legal tender is, and I don't see why it matters at all.   Legal tender just means that people have an obligation to accept it as payment, other "non-legal tender" forms of payment are fine too.   The opposite of "legal tender" is not "illegal tender", and bit coin is fully allowed by law.

The US government already supports an untraceable, accountable form of currency - physical $100 bills.

Edited by e1618978 - 2/9/14 at 6:57am
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #85 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post


Yeah, and they should outlaw any other kind of app that uses US dollars also, since 99% of money laundering uses US currency.

If only there was a way to make banknotes and electronic transfers traceable using a nation's legal currency¡

Quote:
I don't know what your obsession with legal tender is, and I don't see why it matters at all. Legal tender just means that people have an obligation to accept it as payment, other "non-legal tender" forms of payment are fine too. The opposite of "legal tender" is not "illegal tender", and bit coin is fully allowed by law.

Nope! It's not. There are several countries that have deemed it illegal. Do you honestly think otters won't follow. Bath Salts weren't illegal at first either and there are still counties that haven't outlawed it so I guess that means you can smoke it and then go eat someone's face.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #86 of 204
deleted
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #87 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Just to address 3 of your points:

Can you interview the inventor of banks or credit cards, cars or even boats? Does that make them less useful?

Heard of overstock.com, scan.co.uk, tigerdirect, Virgin Galactic, Tesla motors? Are they 'selling illegal goods and services without being tracked'?

70 individuals have more money than 50% OF THE REST OF THE WORLD - does that make money less useful?

Bitcoin is open source software (seriously, go to https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin) - there are no kill switches, there's no way for 'the owners' to take control of everyone's bitcoins.

Educate yourself about it before you start just making shit up.

There were interviews with the inventor of the credit card. And he did not try to hid his identity.
http://inventors.about.com/od/cstartinventions/a/credit_cards.htm

Carlos slim is the riches man in the world at $78B. That's a drop compared to the world stock market worth $55 trillion.
In contrast Satoshi and his pals own over 30% of the entire bitcoin. With such a huge stake they can easily manipulate bit coin value and they have. If bit coin is legit and safe why the F does Satoshi have 150,000 separate accounts? And he buys and sells between these accounts thousands of times a day.

The kill switch is when the 7 guys at the top of the pyramid cash out. When this happens bit coin will drop to pennies.

Your greed is blinding you from the reality of bitcoin- it's a scam pyramid scheme that will come crashing down once the 7 founders sell their 30% stake.
post #88 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post


Personal attacks are against the terms of service for the site, I believe.   And also an indication that you have little to say of value and are resorting to bottom of the barrel tactics.

Learn to read. I didn't say you're stupid or ask you not to be stupid. I clearly requested that your comments not be stupid. The very fact that I made the request to you to stop making stupid comments indicates that I believe you are capable of not making stupid comments, otherwise my sentiment would be wasted.

PS: Please stop making stupid comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The kill switch is when the 7 guys at the top of the pyramid cash out. When this happens bit coin will drop to pennies.

You make it sound like a modern day pyramid scheme.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/9/14 at 7:14am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #89 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
PS: Please stop making stupid comments.


It wasn't a stupid comment, $100 bills are actually less accountable than bit coin since bit coin isn't really anonymous.   And you must still be out of good arguments.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #90 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post


It wasn't a stupid comment, $100 bills are actually less accountable than bit coin since bit coin isn't really anonymous.   And you must still be out of good arguments.

Now your argument is that banknotes don't have any info about the issuing body or a unique serial that can be traced or used to verify it's authenticity?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #91 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Now your argument is that banknotes don't have any info about the issuing body or a unique serial that can be traced or used to verify it's authenticity?
 


The notes have serial numbers, but they are still less traceable and accountable than bit coin.   If you care enough, you can figure out who bought what with bitcoin, and most of the time you can't with cash.

Any argument that says we should ban bit coins because they are "untraceable" and used for black market transactions can be used even more effectively as an argument to say that we should ban physical cash.   There is a reason that almost all black market transactions are done in $100 bills.

And if you ban cash and bitcoin both?  Then some other thing will take its place, probably gold and silver coins, followed by any number of other things.   Unlocked iPhones are a unit of black market exchange in South America right now.

The government will ban bit coin and try to kill it eventually, but saying that it is because of its semi-anoymous nature or its use in black market transactions is totally missing the point.  Nobody (but you apparently) cares about those things, because the government is powerless to stop black market transactions no matter how many units of exchange it bans.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #92 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post


The notes have serial numbers, but they are still less traceable and accountable than bit coin.   If you care enough, you can figure out who bought what with bitcoin, and most of the time you can't with cash.


Any argument that says we should ban bit coins because they are "untraceable" and used for black market transactions can be used even more effectively as an argument to say that we should ban physical cash.   There is a reason that almost all black market transactions are done in $100 bills.


And if you ban cash and bitcoin both?  Then some other thing will take its place, probably gold and silver coins, followed by any number of other things.   Unlocked iPhones are a unit of black market exchange in South America right now.


The government will ban bit coin and try to kill it eventually, but saying that it is because of its semi-anoymous nature or its use in black market transactions is totally missing the point.  Nobody (but you apparently) cares about those things, because the government is powerless to stop black market transactions no matter how many units of exchange it bans.

So when Walter White bought a car wash to launder all that money he illegally earned it was a pointless endeavor?

And now it's impossible for individual bills to be tracked by the government when they get processed by financial institutions?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #93 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So when Walter White bought a car wash to launder all that money he illegally earned it was a pointless endeavor?

And now it's impossible for individual bills to be tracked by the government when they get processed by financial institutions?


Its true that it is difficult to launder black market cash inside the US because of deposit limits and reporting, but that does not matter because most black market cash gets deposited in Mexico or Afghanistan.

And obviously, now we need to ban small businesses like car washes, because they can be used to launder money just like bitcoin can.  8-)

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #94 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleworks View Post
 

It's amazing and terrifying how people on this web site will defend Apple no matter what.  This is simple anti-competitive behavior. 

 

 

Don't be naive.  That means they would have to ban US currency too.  Also, virtually every other currency in existence.  Also PayPal. 

 

Don't you people get that, by allowing Apple (or Google) to ban/approve apps and content,  you no longer have control over your own personal lives. 

 

Get a clue dude.  Apple can get sued and has been sued for not removing apps that support criminal activities quickly enough.

 

BitCoin cannot be compared with other legal currencies.  

There are local and international laws that apply to globally accepted currencies, there are none for BitCoin.

BitCoin is not legal and will likely be shutdown.  

I may likely linger around in an underground world that no legal corporation would want to be associated with.

...Let the drug dealers kill themselves over it when they run into disputes.

 

From Wikipedia...

Legal issues and status

Criminal activity linked to Bitcoin has largely centered around theft of the currency, the use of botnets for mining, and the illicit use of bitcoins in exchange for illegal items or services. Certain nation states may feel that its use in circumventing capital controls is also undesirable.[10] While some governments have taken a hands-off approach, others have moved to regulate Bitcoin and similar, private currencies. Critics have accused Bitcoin of being a Ponzi scheme.[91] A case study report by the European Central Bank observes that the Bitcoin currency system shares some characteristics with Ponzi schemes, but also has characteristics that are distinct from the common aspects of such schemes.[92]


Edited by AppleSauce007 - 2/9/14 at 8:25am
post #95 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Get a clue dude.  Apple can get sued and has been sued for not removing apps that support criminal activities quickly enough.

BitCoin cannot be compared with other legal currencies.  

There are local and international laws that apply to globally accepted currencies, there are none for BitCoin.
BitCoin is not legal and will likely be shutdown.  
I may likely linger around in an underground world that no legal corporation would want to be associated with.

...Let the drug dealers kill themselves over it when they run into disputes.

It should be compared to an unregulated and unsecured derivatives, not put on par with a nation's system of money.

You have to question any currency where the users are ultimately cashing it in for real money.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #96 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Get a clue dude.  Apple can get sued and has been sued for not removing apps that support criminal activities quickly enough.

BitCoin cannot be compared with other legal currencies.  

There are local and international laws that apply to globally accepted currencies, there are none for BitCoin.
BitCoin is not legal and will likely be shutdown.  
I may likely linger around in an underground world that no legal corporation would want to be associated with.

...Let the drug dealers kill themselves over it when they run into disputes.

Exactly. The risk vs reward is just not worth it for Apple. It is estimate that only 200,000 individuals have bitcoins. Why would Apple risk there 450,000,000,000 company to benefit such a small market? As a shareholder I am very happy they are not supporting bit coin. Until bit coin is legal AND regulated I don't want Apple to touch it. pERIOD. Apple in no way shape or form is obligated to support a system that is run by unknown individuals that hide their identity.

Since bit coin is not regulated Satoshi could write a program to steal everyone's bitcoin. And no one will be able to do anything about since Satoshi is anonymous and no government recognizes bit coin as legal currency. It would be like trying to recover damages from someone who stole Monopoly money from you. The court will decide the Monopoly money is worth the price of the paper it's printed on: basically zero. If Satoshi steals your bit coin and you take him to court you will get NOTHING. First off you won't be able to find him. Second the court will award you damages equaling the value of the bitcoin NOT the amount you paid for it. So how much is a few electrons in a computer worth? Five cents? Or they will reward you the market price which would be close to zero once all the big dogs sell their coins.

Next in line to be sued would be the parties that handled the transaction. And yes that would be Apple. F this. No way in hell Apple will risk their neck for this.

Also remember that Satoshi is a mathematical genius. He wrote the program and can rewrite it to his own benefit. How the F did he and his friends end up with 30% of all the coins? Cause he's the architect and a genius. You want to try to out smart him? You will fail and lose a ton of money.
post #97 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
BitCoin is not legal

 

huh?  Do you have a reference for this?

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #98 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

huh?  Do you have a reference for this?

Russia, Iceland, and Thailand have all have made it illegal, which is pretty damn fast for something that is so new and still such an insignificant blip. Even new drugs that kill children take longer to become controlled substances.

Do you think that as it gets more attention that it will somehow gain legitimacy? Apple removed all apps because of where it's not going, not inspire of. I see this as the beginning of the end for bitcoin.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/9/14 at 9:01am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #99 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A troll is someone that is purposely being obtuse to derail a thread but I'll give you one last chance to prove you are not. If bitcoin is a legal tender in the US and fully allowed by law or recognized by a legal system to be valid for meeting a financial obligation where is written as such? Why would the US government support an untraceable, unaccountable form of currency at all, much less that is so new? Bonus question: If I take the heroin molecule and slightly convert its structure slightly to be something new but still offer the same effects of heroin does that mean I can see this new drug without any fear of penalty simply because it's not defined as being an illegal substance since I just created it?

Charlie Shrem was arrested and charged with operating an unlicensed money transmitting business by the US govt, so that means that they at the very least acknowledge it as 'money'.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #100 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Charlie Shrem was arrested and charged with operating an unlicensed money transmitting business by the US govt, so that means that they at the very least acknowledge it as 'money'.

Do the charges specifically use the term money without any further qualification or alternative terminologies to include any medium of exchange, or is that just a website's reporting on the arrest?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #101 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post
 

 

huh?  Do you have a reference for this?

 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/09/us-russia-bitcoin-idUSBREA1806620140209

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/russian-authorities-say-bitcoin-illegal?ocid=newssocial

 

Just because everyone abusing it is not going to jail does not mean it is legal.

post #102 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Russia, Iceland, and Thailand have all have made it illegal, which is pretty damn fast for something that is so new and still such an insignificant blip. Even new drugs that kill children take longer to become scheduled substances.

Do you think that as it gets more attention that it will somehow gain legitimacy? Apple removed all apps because of where it's not going, not inspire of. I see this as the beginning of the end for bitcoin.

Did you mean controlled substance?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #103 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
 

 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/09/us-russia-bitcoin-idUSBREA1806620140209

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/russian-authorities-say-bitcoin-illegal?ocid=newssocial

 

Just because everyone abusing it is not going to jail does not mean it is legal.


Ah, illegal in Russia, but so are a lot of things (homosexuality, for example - so Apple blocks the gay dating apps in Russia).   Apple has to follow the laws of each country, they already have infrastructure in place to block things on a per-country basis.

Having something be illegal in some other country is not a good reason to block it in the US.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #104 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you mean controlled substance?

Yes. My bath salts much be wearing off.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #105 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Having something be illegal in some other country is not a good reason to block it in the US.

You stated it wasn't illegal. It being illegal in one place proves that it is illegal and in no way means it's not legal in at least one other place.

In regards to Apple are you now saying they don't have the right to protect their business and should only stop allowing bitcoin apps when the Supreme Court makes them or Congress passes a bill? Really?! Do you not think companies have the right to protect themselves? Do you really not see where this going?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #106 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


You stated it wasn't illegal. It being illegal in one place proves that it is illegal and in no way means it's not legal in at least one other place.

In regards to Apple are you now saying they don't have the right to protect their business and should only stop allowing bitcoin apps when the Supreme Court makes them or Congress passes a bill? Really?! Do you not think companies have the right to protect themselves? Do you really not see where this going?

 

If you say "bit coin is illegal" without qualification, it is natural to assume you mean "illegal in the US".  So the original statement is misleading.

I don't think that Apple is doing this to protect themselves, I think that they are going to buy PayPal eventually and they want to clear out any possible competition to their eventual payment system dominance.   I realize that you don't agree, but I don't think your arguments have any merit.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #107 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do the charges specifically use the term money without any further qualification or alternative terminologies to include any medium of exchange, or is that just a website's reporting on the arrest?

He was also hit with a 'money laundering' charge, so it would give bitcoin some legitimacy as money or legal tender.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/01/27/feds-charge-bitcoin-start-up-founder-with-money-laundering/
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #108 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

If you say "bit coin is illegal" without qualification, it is natural to assume you mean "illegal in the US".  So the original statement is misleading.


I don't think that Apple is doing this to protect themselves, I think that they are going to buy PayPal eventually and they want to clear out any possible competition to their eventual payment system dominance.   I realize that you don't agree, but I don't think your arguments have any merit.

1) I agree that it should be qualified which I did in my first response to you with the use of legal tender, which is what Apple accepts as payments for each country it runs its iTS.

2) You don't think Apple is protecting themselves but then in that very same sentence you create a scenario where Apple would be protecting themselves.

3) You created a scenario that you can't prove and have nothing to even make a halfway decent hypothesis so you've then manipulated it to mean that Apple is being anticompetitive. You haven't even made an argument as to why you think Apple needs PayPal, how PayPal competes with bitcoin, or how Apple buying PayPal (which I think is very unlikely and unnecessary) would mean they can't allow other apps. PayPal has legitimate competitors and yet all those service are still on the App Store. The only reasonable answer is the one you are choosing to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

He was also hit with a 'money laundering' charge, so it would give bitcoin some legitimacy as money or legal tender.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/01/27/feds-charge-bitcoin-start-up-founder-with-money-laundering/

How does laundering money legitimize it? It's the same as using uncut diamonds to launder money. It's simply a means to an end.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #109 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) You don't think Apple is protecting themselves but then in that very same sentence you create a scenario where Apple would be protecting themselves.


Protecting themselves from competition in exactly the same way as Microsoft did when they bundled IE with Windows...

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #110 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post


Protecting themselves from competition in exactly the same way as Microsoft did when they bundled IE with Windows...

1) This was debunked already as being a foolish analogy.

2) Again, your argument is plain wrong that even calling it specious would be going it too much credit. Let me know what Apple removes all apps that allow one to transfer funds to someone else, not just bitcoin apps, and you'll have a position you can finally defend.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #111 of 204

I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post
 

I don't think that Apple is doing this to protect themselves, I think that they are going to buy PayPal eventually and they want to clear out any possible competition to their eventual payment system dominance.   

 


And you followed up with this:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) You don't think Apple is protecting themselves but then in that very same sentence you create a scenario where Apple would be protecting themselves.
 

When you said "Apple is protecting themselves" in that context, the only possible meaning is "protection from competition".

 

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #112 of 204
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Oh, ok, left is right and up is down.

 

I’ll just wait until you read the post again.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #113 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How does laundering money legitimize it? It's the same as using uncut diamonds to launder money. It's simply a means to an end.

You're correct, I didn't see it from that POV.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #114 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I said this:


And you followed up with this:

When you said "Apple is protecting themselves" in that context, the only possible meaning is "protection from competition".

protecting is defined as to "keep safe from harm or injury" which is the status quo for business. What you're suggesting isn't protection but an offensive measure that is illegal. That's a very different thing.

Again, let me know what Apple bans all apps that allow for payments to be transferred unless they go through Apple's server, which include my Starbucks app.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #115 of 204

I think this argument is coming to an end. We have a group of people who don't understand bitcoin and refuse to educate themselves on it, using hypocritical arguments to justify Apple's equally hypocritical decision and ad hominems against anyone who disagrees.

post #116 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

huh?  Do you have a reference for this?

Bit coin is not recognized by the US government.
Monopoly money is not illegal to use but it is also not recognized by the us government.

Again tell me exactly what benefit Apple gets by allowing bitcoin apps?
IMO the risks far out weigh the benefits.
It is not Apples responsibility to ensure that bit coin becomes mainstream.

I compare it to a stranger coming to your home and asking you to hold a package.
Is it illegal to hold the package?
You really have no idea.
But what is the benefit of holding the package? Very little.
But what is the risk? How about jail time for hiding illegal items or how about getting your life threatened by someone else looking for the package. Bottom line is the risk far outweighs the benefit. The same thing is happening with Apple. Why would they want to hold the package that could or could not be illegal. Why take on this risk where there is very little benefit.

Again tell me one reason Apple should take on this risk.
Edited by sog35 - 2/9/14 at 10:43am
post #117 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I think this argument is coming to an end. We have a group of people who don't understand bitcoin and refuse to educate themselves on it, using hypocritical arguments to justify Apple's equally hypocritical decision and ad hominems against anyone who disagrees.

Explain to me how apple benefits from having bit coin apps.
The risks are as plain as day.

Convince me that the benefits to apple outweigh the risk......

Apple is in the business to make money. It is not their responsibility to make sure bitcoin suceedes
post #118 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Explain to me how apple benefits from having bit coin apps.
The risks are as plain as day.

Convince me that the benefits to apple outweigh the risk......

Apple is in the business to make money. It is not their responsibility to make sure bitcoin suceedes

I guess I can understand how anti-government types with an Androidian love for the term open can ignore these obvious risks to major corporations, but I what I don't get is how Apple's obvious reasoning is then transmogrified into some nefarious, anti-competitive scheme that now equates to removing all payment methods from the App Store and some plot to buy PayPal.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #119 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post


Explain to me how apple benefits from having bit coin apps.
The risks are as plain as day.

Convince me that the benefits to apple outweigh the risk......

Apple is in the business to make money. It is not their responsibility to make sure bitcoin suceedes

 

What risks? Seriously - It's. not. illegal. How many other ways can I say it?

 

Explain to me how apple benefits from having personal banking apps.

The risks for fiat currency are as plain as day.

post #120 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post


Protecting themselves from competition in exactly the same way as Microsoft did when they bundled IE with Windows...

You do realize Windows had 90% of the market. iOS doesn't have even half of that (or so the media says)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Blockchain CEO calls Apple 'gatekeeper to innovation,' says Bitcoin app removal signals payments push