or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview

Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview - Page 4

post #121 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

But it is OK for Google to keep releasing Beta products?

??????????

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #122 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Google's argument is that it is OK because their products are generally free. Safari may be free, but it is really a (crucial) part of Apple's operating systems.

You actually answered that comment. Har!

Basically, the person that made that comment is saying Apple should be put on the same level as Google.

... and someone actually added to his reputation? Oh, boy...

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #123 of 242

I wonder if Apple is going to make their own search engine to get away from Bing...

post #124 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

I wonder if Apple is going to make their own search engine to get away from Bing...

I wonder if Apple will buy bing from Microsoft.   I'm hoping that the new Microsoft CEO breaks up the company - it would unlock a lot of value for shareholders since the PC market is dying and they have failed to break into mobile.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #125 of 242
Quote:

... and we're back to Apple getting into search.  8-)
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #126 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I wonder if Apple will buy bing from Microsoft.   I'm hoping that the new Microsoft CEO breaks up the company - it would unlock a lot of value for shareholders since the PC market is dying and they have failed to break into mobile.

I hope not. Microsoft needs Satori for Cortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and we're back to Apple getting into search. 8-)

Ah,  my mistake. I was too lazy to read trough all the pages

post #127 of 242
Quote:

Ah,  my mistake. I was too lazy to read trough all the pages

Who can blame you.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #128 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple's non professional software is free too. But that's not to excuse the Safari bug which needs to be fixed like yesterday.

I certainly agree, and I did NOT say that I buy the google excuse.

post #129 of 242
Quote:

I wonder if Apple is going to get into the cement mixer business, to not depend on those pesky construction equipment manufacturers for add-ons to the spaceship...

post #130 of 242
Quote:

Who can blame you.

Mmm let's not get into that ;)

post #131 of 242
Quote:

I wonder if Apple is going to get into the cement mixer business, to not depend on those pesky construction equipment manufacturers for add-ons to the spaceship...

Except Apple is not mortal enemies with any construction firms...

As far as I know

post #132 of 242

I doubt Apple is interested in search but stranger things have happened. Siri is sort of a step in that direction although they use companies like Wolfram Alpha for info. If Apple decided to go into search they would be better off to make a new type of search engine. Something better suited to answering questions along the lines of Siri. Buying Ask.com would be an interesting move. I know they have some baggage from years past about that malware browser extension but Apple could reinvent them pretty quickly. It could remain a separate brand and company from Apple but  with Apple working behind the scenes and possibly tying it in with Wolfram Alpha and other current partners Ask.com could evolve into a big revenue generator for Apple especially if it became the default for iOS and OS X. I do not for a second think this is likely but it is an interesting hypothetical. 

Or even better, since Apple owns Siri.com that would be a great address for an Apple search engine if they decide to go that route. They could have a microphone icon next to the search box as well where you could click it and ask your question by voice in addition to typing it.

Edited by gwmac - 2/9/14 at 8:32am
post #133 of 242
Quote:

As far as I know

Hmmm.... I don't know: http://www.secc.co.kr/eng/html/index.asp

post #134 of 242
Quote:

Couldn't think of a dumber analogy?

Quote:

As far as I know

That was a polite response an analogy so idiotic it revealed a lot about the person who made it.

post #135 of 242

Cook admitted growth in North America is essentially over.  They better find something else to get into if they want to grow revenue.  This is one of the biggest companies in the world, you would think coming up with a  new product every couple of years would be a reasonable expectation, but apparently it's asking too much.

post #136 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Couldn't think of a dumber analogy?

That was a polite response an analogy so idiotic it revealed a lot about the person who made it.

Let me get this straight: Anything you did not think of is idiotic, and insulting people you don't know anything about is smart.

post #137 of 242
Quote:

Cook admitted growth in North America is essentially over.  They better find something else to get into if they want to grow revenue.  This is one of the biggest companies in the world, you would think coming up with a  new product every couple of years would be a reasonable expectation, but apparently it's asking too much.

Well, Exxon has been stuck on the oil thing for a few decades, and VW has been making cars since the war. Slackers.

post #138 of 242
Quote:

Let me get this straight: Anything you did not think of is idiotic, and insulting people you don't know anything about is smart. Got it! Why don't you go hang out with your fellow geniuses at the bottom of a pond?

It's really not my opinion.  Empirically it's a stupid analogy since the concrete business has nothing to do with the tech industry.   Tell you what, run it by someone who is smart and not afraid of hurting your feelings and they will tell you it's a pretty stupid analogy.

Quote:

Well, Exxon has been stuck on the oil thing for a few decades, and VW has been making cars since the war. Slackers.

Yes, and they are "value" companies, not growth companies, point? 

post #139 of 242
Quote:

It's really not my opinion.  Empirically it's a stupid analogy since the concrete business has nothing to do with the tech industry.   Tell you what, run it by someone who is smart and not afraid of hurting your feelings and they will tell you it's a pretty stupid analogy.

Yes, and they are "value" companies, not growth companies, point? 

For the first, see anantskundaram's post. There is a good chance that the cement mixers which built Apple's HQ were made by Samsung (or Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, which are big in high tech, or LG, or?!) 

For the second, first, (a) they were growth companies for a long time, while concentrating on building better cars and extracting oil more efficiently. And (b) Apple has been moving to the value segment. You said "the biggest company in the world". Well, there is no contradiction. Exxon is second biggest, VW is probably in the top 10 or 20. Except for Google, most of the rest of the top 20 are not growth companies, for the simple reason that it is very hard to grow aggressively when you are that big. All of them had had a fast growth phase, but all things must end.

post #140 of 242
Quote:

Because of course we know Apple isn't working on other things. And if they don't have new products out on somebody's predetermined schedule (yours is every couple years) then that means they can no longer grow.
post #141 of 242
Quote:

For the first, see anantskundaram's post. There is a good chance that the cement mixers which built Apple's HQ were made by Samsung (or Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, which are big in high tech, or LG, or?!) 

For the second, first, (a) they were growth companies for a long time, while concentrating on building better cars and extracting oil more efficiently. And (b) Apple has been moving to the value segment. You said "the biggest company in the world". Well, there is no contradiction. Exxon is second biggest, VW is probably in the top 10 or 20. Except for Google, most of the rest of the top 20 are not growth companies, for the simple reason that it is very hard to grow aggressively when you are that big. All of them had had a fast growth phase, but all things must end.

Quote:

Is search tech or not?  Pretty sure I can do a search on my iPhone or iPad.  Cant remember the last time I mixed cement with one.  

Are cement mixers tech?  Hey, maybe they are.  Maybe they aren't in the manufacturing sector.  Of course Samsung puts tech and manufacturing  in completely different divisions in their company.  Cement mixers are in the "Engineering and Construction group."  I'm trying to find Apple's Engineering and Construction group division, can you help me out with that?

Same thing with VM and Exxon.  Different industries.  No one knows if Apple can maintain sales at the current levels because tech changes so fast.  Maybe Apple should diversify into manufacturing, gas and oil and other fields.  I certainly don't know about that.  But diversifying what they do in tech, things like search, shouldn't be ignored and comparing tech to manufacturing just because Samsung is in both is not a good comparison.

post #142 of 242
Quote:

Apple's revenues for FY 2013 were $170B. As you say, when you get that big it takes a lot to move the needle. So Apple may never grow the way it has in the past (what Cook called hyper growth) but that doesn't mean growth is over (which is how the stock is priced). Cook basically telegraphed mobile payments (touch id is about way more than unlocking your phone). All these hires certainly point to some sort of wearable device or foray into the health/fitness/medical device space. And then of course Apple TV. That wasn't updated last year so it's fairly certain we'll get something this year with rumors pointing to an updated device with SDK and AppStore. I'm still not counting out an Apple branded TV, especially if Apple is looking for something to move the needle on revenues . Also there is iOS in the car - we don't know where Apple is planning to take that. And the Mac Mini wasn't updated last year so very possible Apple is working on a new device, perhaps something like the a Mac Pro but geared towards prosumers, or consumers who something inbetween and iMac and Mac Pro. There have been rumors of an iPad Pro, but maybe Apple is working on the ultimate MacBook Air with retina display. And of course all the stuff Apple is working on that we have no idea about, no rumors around. Cook has said numerous times that Apple has no problem coming up with things they want to do. Personally I could care less that they're not doing things as fast as some people want. I'd rather have a quality product than something rushed to market just to show Apple can still innovate or just to feed Wall Street and the tech media's need for new, new new.
post #143 of 242
Quote:

Don forget Coke. What have they introduced recently?
post #144 of 242
Anyone can see that Apple needs to diversify as too much of their revenues and products come from one product - iPhone. I think Cook & Co. are very much aware of this. They might be moving to slow for some, but we all know the next big thing from Apple will be scrutinized like nothing before it. I'd rather have them take the time to get right and not rush something to market because Wall Street is impatient and the tech press has the attention span of a 3 year old. Samsung rushed the Galaxy Gear to market and it was crap. I don't want anything like that from Apple.
post #145 of 242
Quote:

... the tech press has the attention span of a 3 year old. 

I wish...

post #146 of 242

I want Cook to talk about adding Push-to-Talk in iPhone while adding a dedicated yet programmable button on the side, ala Nextel/iDEN phones!  

This is one niche which Apple could own, as IDEN is no more in the U.S....  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Digital_Enhanced_Network

post #147 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wish...
But they do. I mean the 5S had been out less than 2 months and there were already stories about what the iPhone 6 could be.
post #148 of 242
Quote:

But they do. I mean the 5S had been out less than 2 months and there were already stories about what the iPhone 6 could be.

Hmmm.... I was actually agreeing with you.

Anyhoo.....

post #149 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Meanwhile, Woz lets loose with some pie hole flatulence by stating that Apple should make an Android phone. Has the Woz finally jumped the shark?

I hadn't  heard that; oh my Woz is loosing it (the mind) very young! 

post #150 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Don forget Coke. What have they introduced recently?

New Coke? :)

post #151 of 242

Fix your F'ing software. Stop talking about how great you are. Really. What the F.

Been an Apple follower since the 70s. 

Stop talking and stop doing.

For some reason, I can't use Calendar App on MacBook. WHY? 

Says "Access to account not permitted."

Tim, STFU and start delivering. Apple software is sucking ass.

And I'm educated with a masters degree.

But I need to vent my frustration.

post #152 of 242
Tim isn't a coder y'know. Him being on stage isn't delaying any software updates.

censored

censored

post #153 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Fix your F'ing software. Stop talking about how great you are. Really. What the F.

Been an Apple follower since the 70s. 

Stop talking and stop doing.

For some reason, I can't use Calendar App on MacBook. WHY? 

Says "Access to account not permitted."

Tim, STFU and start delivering. Apple software is sucking ass.

And I'm educated with a masters degree.

But I need to vent my frustration.

If you have to state that you're educated ...

post #154 of 242
Quote:

Meanwhile, Woz lets loose with some pie hole flatulence by stating that Apple should make an Android phone. Has the Woz finally jumped the shark?

Woz has a frontal head injury. So he's a bit like Howard Hughes. Every time he opens his mouth he sounds like a weirdo. It would be good for him if he refrained from speaking. 1hmm.gif
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
post #155 of 242
Quote:

... and we're back to Apple getting into search. 8-)

Personally, I think Apple should concentrate on fixing the bugs in Safari before they get into Search....

post #156 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Personally, I think Apple should concentrate on fixing the bugs in Safari before they get into Search....

:lol:
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #157 of 242

Spewgle is not even a real company!

The losers that got sucked into this shill ponzy scheme won't know what hit them when the bubble finally bursts.

Any stock that goes up $48 one day and down $26 the next is an obviously manipulated bubble-stock.

Goopgle only licenses (steals) and/or acquires what it wants and sloughs it off as innovation.

It's only source of revenue is friggin' ADVERTISING (and back-end spam), and advertising is on it's way out.

The whole Spewgle scheme is one big NSA back-door lie.

It's only a matter of time until the investment community catches on to the Gewgle lie.

p.s. try opting out of any Gewgle ads in your browser, and see how BLANK the website becomes!

post #158 of 242
Quote:

Woz is the kind of person who is more interested in how something works rather than how it looks. Like who really knows what context he had in mind, he probably meant make an iPhone that can run NDK apps from iOS, to avoid Blackberry's fate (which was having a crappy OS that was overly reliant on a proprietary BBM.) iOS isn't BlackBerry, not by a long shot.

What you have to do is look at both Nokia and Blackberry. iOS ate the lions share of high-end PDA-like phones, while Android ate all the crappy feature phones that Nokia and Motorola put out. This was because even the cheapest Android phone is better than any feature phone, and iOS was better than everything at the time, even when it was lacking features like 3G, 4G, high-resolution cameras and removable storage. When the iPhone came out, Nokia's best phone as the N95, 7 years ago. Blackberry totally had a brain hemmorage http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/12/27/rim_thought_apple_was_lying_about_original_iphone_in_2007 when they heard about the iPhone. The best device they had in 2007 was what... the Blackberry curve? They didn't even have 3G, or GPS capabilities which the Nokia N95 had. It just goes to show that the market leader doesn't have to have the most bleeding edge hardware, but they do need to stay ahead of the game on their software which both Blackberry (going so far to buy QNX) and Nokia (dumping Symbian and Linux based OS's for completely-incompatible Windows Phone) failed to do and screwed up the end-game. I don't see Blackberry having a salvageable moment, they would have had to have bought QNX in 2005 to have had any way of keeping up with the iPhone. Nokia was in a slightly better position because Symbian was already an open source OS, and does pretty much everything iOS does (including running webkit, but lacking multitouch at the time) and pretty much everyone who switched to Android was previously on Symbian. Who knows if Symbian at the time would support a dual-core CPU.

Arguably Symbian was better Mobile OS than Android was, but the graphics systems in these feature phones were horrible. At least you could use C++ for the entire application unlike Android... still. Google knows this was a mistake using Java, but Android developers are stuck with this legacy. That leaves iOS as the only developer friendly mobile platform. So iOS is not going to suffer the fate of Blackberry unless Google abandons Android and releases something that developers actually would prefer to use. This won't happen on Android since there's fragmentation and wide hardware performance disparities between Android devices.

Hell, look at the game consoles. Ouya... flop, Pandora, flop, GP32, flop. Nobody wants these things except to play pirated software on. Developers do not flock to platforms because they are "open" they flock to them because there's money to be made. If it's too complicated to port a game to, then it's going to flop.
Edited by Misa - 2/10/14 at 3:59am
post #159 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I doubt Tim's story of the origins of the name Europe and I doubt that Americans are as stupid as he's implying.

There was a poll not many years ago, and a huge percentage (can't remember what it was, but it was really large) couldn't find Russia -- RUSSIA! -- on a world map.  Americans' lack of knowledge about the rest of the world -- heck lack of knowledge about America itself -- cannot be overestimated.

Heck, when Sarah Palin was being prepped for the debates in 2008 they had to explain to her where Germany was, that they were part of the Axis in WWII, etc.  Really scary.

This is from 2006, but if anything it's most likely gotten worse:

Quote:

Among the findings:

• One-third of respondents couldn’t pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi.
  • Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.
  • Two-thirds didn’t know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
  • Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.
  • While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.
  • While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.
  • Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.
  • Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

I mean, COME ON!  How can nearly half of Americans aged 18-24 not be able to find India?!  I mean, ooh, if it were like Montenegro or Andorra or something, even say Serbia, I could understand.  But not only is India a HUGE country, it is also very distinctive looking.  And not knowing where Louisiana is?  Give me a break.  You have to either live in your basement 24/7 doing nothing but playing Xbox or be partially retarded.

Did they conduct the test at the Tri-Delta House (Animal House)?

Dean Vernon Wormer: Mr. Blutarsky... zero... point... zero.

[Bluto shrugs]

[sees Bluto with a pair of pencils in his nostrils]

[Bluto shrugs]

D-Day: [to Bluto] Let it go. War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

post #160 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Did they conduct the test at the Tri-Delta House (Animal House)?

[Bluto shrugs]

[sees Bluto with a pair of pencils in his nostrils]

[Bluto shrugs]

D-Day: [to Bluto] Let it go. War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

One of my favorites, for sure. :)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview