or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview

Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview - Page 5

post #161 of 242
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
Fix your F'ing software.

Stop being a fool and reinstall. Software: fixed.

Been an Apple follower since the 70s. 

And I'm educated with a masters degree.

Got it: you flunked your GED and don’t even own a Mac. ;)

For some reason, I can't use Calendar App on MacBook. WHY?  Says "Access to account not permitted."

Either you have your credentials for the linked web-based calendar incorrect or damage has been done to the local Calendar application file itself.

But I need to vent my frustration.

Why not fix your problem instead? Reinstall the OS. Someone with a Master’s degree such as yourself should be intelligent enough to know that an inability to access an application on your computer isn’t standard behavior, much less is happening to everyone.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 2/10/14 at 7:09am

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #162 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

Spewgle is not even a real company!

The losers that got sucked into this shill ponzy scheme won't know what hit them when the bubble finally bursts.

Any stock that goes up $48 one day and down $26 the next is an obviously manipulated bubble-stock.

Goopgle only licenses (steals) and/or acquires what it wants and sloughs it off as innovation.

It's only source of revenue is friggin' ADVERTISING (and back-end spam), and advertising is on it's way out.

The whole Spewgle scheme is one big NSA back-door lie.

It's only a matter of time until the investment community catches on to the Gewgle lie.

p.s. try opting out of any Gewgle ads in your browser, and see how BLANK the website becomes!

Off our lithium today, are we?

post #163 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Off our lithium today, are we?

No drugs here.

My mind is perfectly clear. ;)

Spewgle is a sham. 

Just a matter of time before people catch on.

post #164 of 242
Nice interview. Apple executives show remarkable restraint in their interview responses, especially in crafting them in a way that doesn't reveal too much about their future plans, but definitely wets the appetite. We all just need to stay tuned.
post #165 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

Nice interview. Apple executives show remarkable restraint in their interview responses, especially in crafting them in a way that doesn't reveal too much about their future plans, but definitely wets the appetite. We all just need to stay tuned.

1. I disagree. Cook has been saying "I can't tell you what we have planned, but it's really exciting" for years now, and people generally get tired of this -- it is sort of pointless and insulting (in its condescension). Why say anything, if that's all you are going to say?

2. WHET the appetite.

post #166 of 242
You'll love some of the product hints from this twitter user:
https://twitter.com/hamzasood
melior diabolus quem scies
post #167 of 242

1. I disagree. Cook has been saying "I can't tell you what we have planned, but it's really exciting" for years now, and people generally get tired of this -- it is sort of pointless and insulting (in its condescension). Why say anything, if that's all you are going to say?

Because Steve said exactly the same thing and people didn’t whine for his fifteen years.

post #168 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Clearly we should be taking our financial advice from someone who makes up names like a 7-year-old and doesn't understand the use of apostrophes. I'd explain how absolute $$ changes for GOOG are about half as significant as the same price change for APPL, but it would go over your head.

He even spelled Ponzi Scheme wrong so perhaps all his attempts at spelling Google is just his atrocious orthography.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #169 of 242
Quote:

Then, out of nowhere 64bit, but that doesn't really count because blah, blah, blah!
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #170 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Then, out of nowhere 64bit, but that doesn't really count because blah, blah, blah!

Blah, blah, blah being: it makes ZERO difference to the user experience (certainly to my user experience, but I have never heard anyone say different).  Yes, it will in a couple of years, but we can discuss it then. Of course, by that time I suspect Apple will not be the only 64bit vendor.

post #171 of 242

Blah, blah, blah being: it makes ZERO difference to the user experience

A faster, more energy efficient user experience is ZERO difference, huh? 

Just stop talking. You’ve invalidated everything you say.

post #172 of 242
Quote:

Blah, blah, blah + more blah, blah, blah.

Why did you add more blah, blah, blah, when I already had it covered?
post #173 of 242
Quote:

Why did you add more blah, blah, blah, when I already had it covered?

Your original post said (I translate): no matter what you say, I have decided that 64 bit was great advance, facts be damned. Your last post says: dude! I TOLD you I don't care about the facts! I actually know that, but I am guessing there are a couple of people here who don't live in NeverNeverLand.

post #174 of 242
Quote:

Your original post said (I translate): no matter what you say, I have decided that 64 bit was great advance, facts be damned. Your last post says: dude! I TOLD you I don't care about the facts! I actually know that, but I am guessing there are a couple of people here who don't live in NeverNeverLand.

Which it was, in spite of all the negative drivel from those suffering from sour grapes.

I don't need some crappy quad core processor overloaded with RAM, requiring a huge battery hiding behind an oversized screen to have one of the most powerful smartphones on Earth, I have an iPhone 5s.
post #175 of 242
Quote:

Which it was, in spite of all the negative drivel from those suffering from sour grapes.

I don't need some crappy quad core processor overloaded with RAM, requiring a huge battery hiding behind an oversized screen to have one of the most powerful smartphones on Earth, I have an iPhone 5s.

Sour grapes? I have a 5s, 5, 4s, and 4 (I used to have a 3gs, don't know what happened to it). 5s is a nice phone, and TouchID is pleasant, but none of the applications either of us use either needs or uses 64 bit processing (I take it back, apparently Sing! Karaoke does). Read this piece on why 64 bit processors are (or will be)  useful for phones. Short version: to address more than 4GB. Which your 5s does not have.

post #176 of 242
Quote:

Clearly we should be taking our financial advice from someone who makes up names like a 7-year-old and doesn't understand the use of apostrophes. I'd explain how absolute $$ changes for GOOG are about half as significant as the same price change for APPL, but it would go over your head.

Clearly you're not understanding what I'm trying to say, and have opted to talk down to me.  Good for you.

If you're such an elite investor, you should try to enlighten us mere mortals rather than be such a jerk.

It won't be over my head that's for sure.

I estimate GOOG has five years in it's current incarnation before all licensing, leasing, acquiring dries up.

Been tracking GEWGLE since before it existed (having worked in the industry, and now retired).

AAPL will go through it's own transition in the next few years as well, but has a much longer trajectory.

post #177 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He even spelled Ponzi Scheme wrong so perhaps all his attempts at spelling Google is just his atrocious orthography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

post #178 of 242
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

There is no need for you to further prove my point. Everyone else but you already knows it's spelled Ponzi, not pony. But I am glad that you were able to look it up so perhaps next time you won't spell it incorrectly.

post #179 of 242

You're still doing it.

No context.  No discussion.  Just make fun of someone that has an opinion about a stock or company

No substance.

I sleep well at night, thank you.  (Retired at 53).

post #180 of 242
Quote:

"rottersockets."

You shouldn't use the "R" word.

post #181 of 242
Quote:

Short version: to address more than 4GB. Which your 5s does not have.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #182 of 242
Your original post said (I translate): no matter what you say, I have decided that 64 bit was great advance, facts be damned.

It’s okay if he thinks that as long as the facts back him up. Right? I mean, if he believes what the facts show, the transitive property says it doesn’t matter that he doesn’t believe the facts.

And as it turns out, the facts back him up.

post #183 of 242
Quote:

You're still doing it.

No context.  No discussion.  Just make fun of someone that has an opinion about a stock or company

No substance.

I sleep well at night, thank you.  (Retired at 53).

Fine. I'll translate into grown-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

Spewgle is not even a real company! False:  

com·pa·ny
ˈkəmpənē/
noun

1. 1.
    a commercial business.

The losers that got sucked into this shill ponzy scheme won't know what hit them when the bubble finally bursts.

You can PM me and gloat when this happens. I'll buy you a $50 iTunes gift card.

Any stock that goes up $48 one day and down $26 the next is an obviously manipulated bubble-stock.

You mean like how APPL gained $22 then lost $17 Jan 13-17? Scaled up to GOOG prices, that's about $44 up and $34 down.

Goopgle only licenses (steals) and/or acquires what it wants and sloughs it off as innovation.

You've been following since before computers existed, so maybe you've heard of PageRank. That's probably how you found this web site. Aside from other software originating in house, what's wrong with acquiring technology? All the big tech companies do it.

Any citations where Google "sloughs it off as innovation?"

It's only source of revenue is friggin' ADVERTISING (and back-end spam), and advertising is on it's way out.

False: Google has several enterprise products, they sell storage to consumers, and make money off of Play apps.

The whole Spewgle scheme is one big NSA back-door lie.

You need to adjust your tin foil hat.

It's only a matter of time until the investment community catches on to the Gewgle lie.

Care to summarize the lie for clarification? 

p.s. try opting out of any Gewgle ads in your browser, and see how BLANK the website becomes!

Wait, you're telling me that when you block ads, fewer ads show up? Get. Out. You know, this might also be a demonstration of one of Google's continuing successes. Hmm.

post #184 of 242
I honest to goodness did not realize at first glance that the OP intended Spewgle to be Google. 1oyvey.gif

I've never understood how middle school taunting and efforts at made-up derogatory nicknames are supposed to make a poster sound more authoritative and intelligent.
post #185 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I honest to goodness did not realize at first glance that the OP intended Spewgle to be Google. 1oyvey.gif

I've never understood how middle school taunting and efforts at made-up derogatory nicknames are supposed to make a poster sound more authoritative and intelligent. Are there really that many teenagers on AI?

I've spoken up about that plenty of times in defense of all companies, include Samsung. It hurts any valid argument one might actually have.

What's even more weird about this guy is he says he retired at age 53. Not that maturity and age necessarily go hand in hand but I could have at least excused it (to a point) if it was someone in their teens.

post #186 of 242
Quote:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

What, you mean your 5s DOES have more than 4GB of RAM? 

post #187 of 242
Quote:

Sour grapes? I have a 5s, 5, 4s, and 4 (I used to have a 3gs, don't know what happened to it). 5s is a nice phone, and TouchID is pleasant, but none of the applications either of us use either needs or uses 64 bit processing (I take it back, apparently Sing! Karaoke does). Read this piece on why 64 bit processors are (or will be)  useful for phones. Short version: to address more than 4GB. Which your 5s does not have.

I don't know how The Economist has become an authority on computer engineering. Maybe IEEE Spectrum will become a source of information on macro economics.

I suppose you'll insist that more registers, wider registers, and other ISA changes have nothing to do with anything.
post #188 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know how The Economist has become an authority on computer engineering. Maybe IEEE Spectrum will become a source of information on macro economics.

I suppose you'll insist that more registers, wider registers, and other ISA changes have nothing to do with anything.

Are you saying that newer hardware is faster than older hardware? I agree. Apple introducing 64bits is wise, since they are planning for the near future, but I would not describe this as particularly innovative, not to mention revolutionary

post #189 of 242
Quote:

Are you saying that newer hardware is faster than older hardware? I agree. Apple introducing 64bits is wise, since they are planning for the near future, but I would not describe this as particularly innovative, not to mention revolutionary

You've previously suggested that 64 bit was pointless on the 5s, it's not, it does more than just extend memory addressing. That's my complaint on what you said. Now, it seems you're saying otherwise.

64 bit wasn't revolutionary when it hit personal computers either. That's not always the point in changing technologies. The point is to make improvements. Expecting revolutionary on every product iteration is wholly unrealistic.
Edited by JeffDM - 2/11/14 at 8:23am
post #190 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Google does not have unlimited growth. If the smartphone market has reached saturation point so has the number of smartphone users that Google can push their advertisements to. Plus the second largest phone market, China, will not let google in.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/the-2014-google-tracker-everything-we-know-google-is-working-on-this-year/
post #191 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You've previously suggested that 64 bit was pointless on the 5s, it's not, and that's part of my complaint on your commenting. Now, it seems you're saying otherwise.

64 bit wasn't revolutionary when it hit personal computers either. That's not always the point in changing technologies. The point is to make improvements. Expecting revolutionary on every product iteration is wholly unrealistic.

(a) I never said it was pointless, merely that it did not improve the user experience materially IN THE SHORT TERM. Find my original post if you don't believe me.

(b) This whole 64bit discussion was initiated by one hill60 who gave 64bit as an example of a revolutionary change.

So, we don't actually disagree.

post #192 of 242

Strawmen should result in a three day ban.

Shut up and reply to what has been said ONLY or don’t bother posting at all.

post #193 of 242
Quote:

The amount of RAM is irrelevant, the first 64bit PC I built had 512MB of RAM which in 2003 was too expensive for average users, it didn't stop AMD from releasing the Athlon 64.

Efficiency and speed is the major benefit, reading more RAM is only one of the things 64 bit allows.

10fps in burst mode with the camera, the only limit being the amount of storage, an example of what 64 bit data throughput allows.

Edited by hill60 - 2/11/14 at 11:52am
post #194 of 242
Quote:

(b) This whole 64bit discussion was initiated by one hill60 who gave 64bit as an example of a revolutionary change.

...as an example of revolutionary change which caught the industry by surprise, requiring the simultaneous release of custom hardware and software as it did.

Which Apple has NOW and others are yet to catch up.

Off course I expected you to minimise this achievement which is why I set the trap.

post #195 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I doubt Tim's story of the origins of the name Europe and I doubt that Americans are as stupid as he's implying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14

This is a bit taken from an Australian show. 

post #196 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14

This is a bit taken from an Australian show. 

Much like the posters citing references like The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, reality television and daily talk shows, your link only shows ignorance on your part if you think that's an accurate representation of Americans.

post #197 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Much like the posters citing references like The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, reality television and daily talk shows, your link only shows ignorance on your part if you think that's an accurate representation of Americans.

While it's true that all of these TV bits edit out the smart people and only show the dumb ones, because people who actually know the answers aren't very funny, it's also true that Americans are notoriously ill-informed about things that matter.    That's not to say that there aren't plenty of idiots in every country in the world, but we're supposed to be the "most powerful nation on earth".    I've posted this before, but:

In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to 1000 Americans and 38% failed.   29% couldn't name the Vice-President.   (I pray none of these people vote.)

Other "highlights": 

88% could not name one writer of the Federalist papers.

80% could not name the President during World War I (Wilson)

40% could not correctly name who we fought in WWII.  (Japan, Germany and Italy)

73% could not correctly name "Communism" as our main concern during the Cold War.

81% could not name a power of the Federal Government.  

43% did not know that the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution are called the Bill of Rights.

70% did not know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

Ask people what happened to Justin Bieber recently and I bet 90% know the answer to that.  Ask them to name the House Majority Leader and I bet not more than 20% know that answer.    But it doesn't just have to be about Government or politics:  ask people to name five elements on the periodic table, to name three classic American authors, to name the approximate years of the Civil War or even Word War II, to solve 3x + 4 = 13 or whether the earth is billions or 5000 years old, or even how many feet there are in a mile and see what kind of answers you get.    And you don't get much better results asking college grads than you do asking less formally educated people.      

It shouldn't be surprising when we live in a society where we judge success only by financial parameters, where sports dominate,  where much of the country is comprised almost entirely of strip malls, banks and gas stations and where intelligence is frowned upon unless it makes one money.   We care almost nothing about history, architecture or culture.  

This is why it's not surprising that in 2012, a poll claimed that 17% of registered voters thought Obama is a Muslim who was born outside of the United States.   

post #198 of 242
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to 1000 Americans and 38% failed.   29% couldn't name the Vice-President.   (I pray none of these people vote.)

Other "highlights": 

73% could not correctly name "Communism" as our main concern during the Cold War.

43% did not know that the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution are called the Bill of Rights.

This is why it's not surprising that in 2012, a poll claimed that 17% of registered voters thought Obama is a Muslim who was born outside of the United States.   

See, I question every aspect of this kind of thing. All studies of this nature show the same results, consistently, everywhere.

Not that I approve of most of the utter nonsense that passes for “culture” or “general intrigue” these days, myself.

post #199 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Other "highlights": 

1) I could only remember Madison as writing the Federalist Papers and even looking up the answer I remembered Alexander Hamilton but seem to have zero recollection of the name John Jay associated with them.

2) The US President during WWI escaped me as well. It's simply not something I need so despite having learned it and aced one or more quizzes and tests on the subject many years it's now shelved somewhere in my brain and will liklet be forgotten again soon after I finish writing this post.

3) WWII Allies and Axis powers I do readily recall. Not many people seem to know China was an Allied Power but I also wouldn't expect most to know that.

4) Now we're up through the 1980s with the Cold War. If you were born in the 70's or earlier it's likely hard to forget the broad strokes, but If they interviewed someone today who is 21yo that means they were born in either 1992 or 1993. I could completely see them not remembering.

5) I'm not certain what is meant by power but I assume they mean branches of the federal government. Not what I'd call a clean question if that is how it was worded but if they did ask which branch I would hope most would know them all if they had to choose from a list.

6) The first 10 amendments being called the Bill of Rights seems like a hard one to forget but perhaps that's just my bias in readily remembering the term. I think I can only name about half of the amendments to their proper bill.
Let's see…
  1. Congress shall make no law blah blah freedom of speech.
  2. An object in motion must stay in motion unless acted upon by another object so long as it's not a communist object.
  3. No solider is allowed to play quarters with civilians in their home or do keg stands.
  4. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  5. As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Yep. I know five of them.

7) The Supreme Law of the Land always sounded clumsy to me. I bet if they asked people, "If there are conflicting laws between federal and state, which one automatically wins in accordance with the supremacy clause? Where is this supremacy clause written?" I think more would answer correctly.

Something to consider is if naming a proper noun off the top of your head when put on the spot is part of the issue. People get anxious because they don't want to look stupid which can ultimately them look stupid. This doesn't mean they are stupid.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/13/14 at 11:28pm

post #200 of 242
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Let's see…
  1. Congress shall make no law blah blah freedom of speech.
  2. An object in motion must stay in motion unless acted upon by another object so long as it's not a communist object.
  3. No solider is allowed to play quarters with civilians in their home or do keg stands.
  4. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  5. As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Signatures are limited to a certain number of pixels. Darn.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview