or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview - Page 2

post #41 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

"That's one of the reasons, although not the only reason, why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy..."

I'd love to hear him say crappy.

30:00 here:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/13qpijbvpiqefjbgewrifhbvefqpihbdfv2/event/index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan 
What was Cook's reason for using the phrase "reasonable person"?

Not everyone thought the iPhone or iPad were new categories of product given the existence of tablets and smartphones before them. Those people would be unreasonable. If they reinvent the TV, similarly unreasonable people might not consider it a new category of device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan 
Apple need someone besides Tim Cook to do interviews. He's terrible at them.

He talks with confidence. There's quite a lot of marketing fluff and some of the off-the-cuff talk doesn't go well but I can't think of anyone public at Apple who would do a better job.
post #42 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Google does not have unlimited growth. If the smartphone market has reached saturation point so has the number of smartphone users that Google can push their advertisements to. Plus the second largest phone market, China, will not let google in.

Agree , but till the limit is known , Wall Street is still dreaming there is unlimited growth .
post #43 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Woz was a great engineer 35 years ago, but a very bad entrepreneur. Everything he says, not matter the direction, has 0 importance.

When I read what Wozniak had said, I wondered why he would promote Apple's self-destruction by producing Android smartphones. Where is Apple's best interest in producing Android smartphones? Any order for Apple to make itself stand out from the Android partners, Apple would have to fork Android then develop custom apps as Amazon does. So, what benefit would Woz's latest great idea be to Apple's long-term success?
post #44 of 242
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

- Apple’s search engine. Why doesn't Apple do something?

 

Because they couldn’t care less. End of story.

 
Apple has to do it.

 

No, Apple doesn’t have to turn its customers into whores.

post #45 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I see some very very stupid remarks in some of these posts, but this bit strikes me as something so obvious, so important (even more than another iphone line with a bigger screen):

- Apple's search engine.

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.
post #46 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

 

- Apple's search engine.

 

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

If you want to use an Apple search engine use Siri. Voice recognition might be slower than typing for something big like writing a book, but it's just perfect for short things like Internet queries.

 

And Siri doesn't just do speech recognition on what you say and submit it to Google, it tries to figure out what you're asking (e.g. weather, sports scores) and has special databases just for those. Google is just a last resort, which is what searching the general Internet should be anyway, because you will always get better results for the customer by searching a special purpose database, provided you can figure out what they talking about. Even in the general/unrecognizable case, Siri will often choose Wolfram Alpha over Google.

post #47 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Meanwhile, Woz lets loose with some pie hole flatulence by stating that Apple should make an Android phone. Has the Woz finally jumped the shark?
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post


Woz has brain damage from an airplane crash.

Ha! That was a long time ago. Woz is a DIY tech guy through and through, so I expect him to say stuff like that. It's what he would do. But Apple isn't the home-brew computer company he started in the Jobs family garage all those decades ago. All the design, UX and tight OS+hardware integration that the iPhone is known are uniquely Apple brand strengths. Adopting Android seems like a very un-Apple-like thing to do, and would be oblivious to all the strengths.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #48 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

There was a poll not many years ago, and a huge percentage (can't remember what it was, but it was really large) couldn't find Russia -- RUSSIA! -- on a world map.  Americans' lack of knowledge about the rest of the world -- heck lack of knowledge about America itself -- cannot be overestimated.

 

Heck, when Sarah Palin was being prepped for the debates in 2008 they had to explain to her where Germany was, that they were part of the Axis in WWII, etc.  Really scary.

 

This is from 2006, but if anything it's most likely gotten worse:

 

 

I mean, COME ON!  How can nearly half of Americans aged 18-24 not be able to find India?!  I mean, ooh, if it were like Montenegro or Andorra or something, even say Serbia, I could understand.  But not only is India a HUGE country, it is also very distinctive looking.  And not knowing where Louisiana is?  Give me a break.  You have to either live in your basement 24/7 doing nothing but playing Xbox or be partially retarded.

Are you kidding?   We're far dumber than not being able to find India on a map.

 

Aside from California, Texas, Florida and maybe New York, most Americans can't find a given state on a map and in surveys I've seen (and in a bit that Jay Leno once did), many don't know that there are 50 states.   

 

In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to 1000 Americans and 38% failed.   29% couldn't name the Vice-President.   (I pray none of these people vote.)

 

Other "highlights": 

88% could not name one writer of the Federalist papers.

80% could not name the President during World War I (Wilson)

40% could not correctly name who we fought in WWII.  (Japan, Germany and Italy)

73% could not correctly name "Communism" as our main concern during the Cold War.

81% could not name a power of the Federal Government.  

43% did not know that the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution are called the Bill of Rights.

70% did not know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

post #49 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.

 

If you can be more specific, send your thoughts over to: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #50 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

If you can be more specific, send your thoughts over to: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Cut the condescending crap. You think I (and many thousands of others) have not?

post #51 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

 

In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to 1000 Americans and 38% failed.   29% couldn't name the Vice-President.   (I pray none of these people vote.)

 

Other "highlights": 

88% could not name one writer of the Federalist papers.

80% could not name the President during World War I (Wilson)

40% could not correctly name who we fought in WWII.  (Japan, Germany and Italy)

73% could not correctly name "Communism" as our main concern during the Cold War.

81% could not name a power of the Federal Government.  

43% did not know that the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution are called the Bill of Rights.

70% did not know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

You think that is bad? Check out the Harris Poll on Americans' belief in God, Miracles, UFOs, etc: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1353/Default.aspx

post #52 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cut the condescending crap. You think I (and many thousands of others) have not?
He's not condescending. How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs? Are there not beta releases announced and delivered to developers? Or do you expect someone to contact you personally?
post #53 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
- Apple’s search engine. Why doesn't Apple do something?

Because they couldn’t care less. End of story.
Quote:
Apple has to do it.

No, Apple doesn’t have to turn its customers into whores.

So Apple doesn't have to turn it's costumers into whores. Fine, it's better to let Google turn Apple's costumers into whores, by having it as the search engine on Mac, Windows and iOS, no matter if they use safari or Chrome.

Heck, better yet. Let's do the right thing, and let Microsoft do it to Apple costumers with bing!

No one is telling that Apple should ape Google search and use it like that. Of course you are too limited for that, but I believe in Apple and the people working there.

Because of that, I think that Apple should make a better search engine alternative, use it as default, be open to their costumers (us) about it and of course integrate it better (spotlight, apps, etc) and create a fantastic experience.
post #54 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 
How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs? Are there not beta releases announced and delivered to developers? Or do you expect someone to contact you personally?

Gee, where did I say any of that?

post #55 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I see some very very stupid remarks in some of these posts, but this bit strikes me as something so obvious, so important (even more than another iphone line with a bigger screen):

- Apple's search engine.

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.

A different way to integrate search could even improve those services.

To the guy that mentioned it: Even in USA, Siri is not a substitute to the search engine. A search engine can have unlimited potential... Siri is for casual stuff in a very limited part of the world.

I bet Apple could do a perfect marriage of wolfram alpha and Google, plus some great things.
post #56 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.
I've heard 7.1 is rock solid. I hope so as I hate all the Safari crashes on iPad.
post #57 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

A different way to integrate search could even improve those services.

To the guy that mentioned it: Even in USA, Siri is not a substitute to the search engine. A search engine can have unlimited potential... Siri is for casual stuff in a very limited part of the world.

I bet Apple could do a perfect marriage of wolfram alpha and Google, plus some great things.
I don't know about search engine but if I was Tim Cook I'd be on the phone with Satya Nadella working out some exclusive deal for office on the iPad. Microsoft's future is not in selling hardware, it's not in Windows everywhere. It's cloud and apps. Apple's strength is not cloud or enterprise apps.

Apple should make Microsoft an offer they can't refuse to get Office on the iPad. And maybe there are other ways Apple and Microsoft could work together as a counterbalance to Google's dominance. The unfortunate thing is what Mark Penn has been doing with Microsoft's advertising, basically taking potshots at Apple. The lastest being sending iPhone owners an email with a picture of a decaying Apple asking them to switch to a Lumia. Hopefully Nadella will stop that nonsense.
post #58 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Gee, where did I say any of that?

You said:
I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.

And I replied:
How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs?

I should have added, to improve certain software/services.
post #59 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cut the condescending crap. You think I (and many thousands of others) have not?

It wasn't meant to be condescending. Stop taking it personally.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #60 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post


You said:
I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.

And I replied:
How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs?

I should have added, to improve certain software/services.

 

If Apple was actually "focused" on improving Safari then it wouldn't have had so many iOS problems/bugs. (... and please don't give me the silly little... "I've never had any problems"... in response.

 

So... a little more focus would be an improvement.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #61 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
 

I see some very very stupid remarks in some of these posts, but this bit strikes me as something so obvious, so important (even more than another iphone line with a bigger screen):

 

- Apple's search engine.

 

Why doesn't Apple do something? Why are they defending and defending until someone really hits them hard? That's so stupid. Search is so important and can do so much to integrate the experience between devices. Neither Google or MS should have a presence unless the user wanted it. Apple has to do it.

 

I disagree. Apple has credit card numbers, hundreds of millions of them. And iAd, which I believe is doing quite well. Any search engine they may make or buy (DuckDuckGo, anyone?) would be used to enhance the user experience on iOS or Mac OS X, and nothing else.

post #62 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't know about search engine but if I was Tim Cook I'd be on the phone with Satya Nadella working out some exclusive deal for office on the iPad. Microsoft's future is not in selling hardware, it's not in Windows everywhere. It's cloud and apps. Apple's strength is not cloud or enterprise apps.

Apple should make Microsoft an offer they can't refuse to get Office on the iPad. And maybe there are other ways Apple and Microsoft could work together as a counterbalance to Google's dominance. The unfortunate thing is what Mark Penn has been doing with Microsoft's advertising, basically taking potshots at Apple. The lastest being sending iPhone owners an email with a picture of a decaying Apple asking them to switch to a Lumia. Hopefully Nadella will stop that nonsense.

This is an interesting idea but caution and a remembrance of history is needed here. Introducing possible future hostage situations into the Apple ecosystem should not be done in my opinion. Microsoft would welcome an Apple exclusive on the iPad!

History shows all of us that Microsoft did not hesitate to embrace, extend and extinguish Office for Mac after gaining a leading market share in the office productivity space. Walking into an iPad exclusive version of Microsoft Office would not be good for Apple. Forcing Microsoft to adhere to the current App Store guidelines levels the playing field in this case. No company gets an unfair advantage since every company has to compete fairly. This allows a one person company to compete against Apple, Microsoft, Electronic Arts, etc. and win.

Countering Google's dominance on iOS has been done. Removing the built-in Google Maps and You Tube apps has forced Google to submit apps through the App Store AND upgrade the apps in a timely manner to stay ahead of Apple and other companies. Think about how many upgrades Google has provided in its Maps and You Tube apps since last year.
post #63 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It wasn't meant to be condescending. Stop taking it personally.

Do you really think that I do not know where/how to provide feedback to Apple? Really?

 

C'mon...

post #64 of 242

Back on topic, the interview also contained these gems that are worthy of note:

 

1) Apple’s performance on a constant-currency basis: “The dollar has gotten so strong that last quarter, our revenue growth in Japan was 11%. At constant currency from year before, it would have been 37%. When you lose 26 points on a currency conversion and it’s 9% (of the total), it takes off a couple of points on the macro-side.

 

2) Growth prospects for the Mac: “A lot of people are throwing in the towel right now on the PC. We’re still spending an enormous amount on really great talent and people on the Macs of the future. And we have some really cool things coming out there. Because we believe as people walk away from the PC, it becomes clear that the Mac is what you want if you want a PC.”

 

3) Product philosophy: “….we’re not going to make junk. We’re not going to put Apple’s brand on something someone else designed.”

 

4) Google jettisoning Motorola: “Google gets rid of something that’s losing money, something that they’re not committed to. I think it’s really hard to do hardware, software and services and to link all those things together. That’s what makes Apple so special. It’s really hard, so I’m not surprised that they are not going to do that.”

post #65 of 242
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

3) Product philosophy: “….we’re not going to make junk. We’re not going to put Apple’s brand on something someone else designed.”

 

New York Times headline: APPLE CALLS EVERYTHING ELSE MADE BY EVERYONE ELSE ‘JUNK’

post #66 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

This is an interesting idea but caution and a remembrance of history is needed here. Introducing possible future hostage situations into the Apple ecosystem should not be done in my opinion. Microsoft would welcome an Apple exclusive on the iPad!

History shows all of us that Microsoft did not hesitate to embrace, extend and extinguish Office for Mac after gaining a leading market share in the office productivity space. Walking into an iPad exclusive version of Microsoft Office would not be good for Apple. Forcing Microsoft to adhere to the current App Store guidelines levels the playing field in this case. No company gets an unfair advantage since every company has to compete fairly. This allows a one person company to compete against Apple, Microsoft, Electronic Arts, etc. and win.

Countering Google's dominance on iOS has been done. Removing the built-in Google Maps and You Tube apps has forced Google to submit apps through the App Store AND upgrade the apps in a timely manner to stay ahead of Apple and other companies. Think about how many upgrades Google has provided in its Maps and You Tube apps since last year.
Well there currently isn't office on iPad so I'm not sure how Microsoft would welcome it. Seems if anything their desire to protect Windows and get into devices with Surface is preventing them from doing it. But like I said Microsoft should focus on what they do best right now which is cloud and software. Stop making every decision based on Windows.
post #67 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Back on topic, the interview also contained these gems that are worthy of note:

3) Product philosophy: “….we’re not going to make junk. We’re not going to put Apple’s brand on something someone else designed.”
So basically Cook told Woz to pound sand. 1biggrin.gif
post #68 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

LOL 1smile.gif

Yeah, and like history, they don't teach anything about the rest of the world in most schools anymore.  And so many Americans lack any curiosity about anything at all outside of sports and the Kardashians.  It's really pretty scary, if you think about it, this near total lack of interest in anything.

I mean, imagine someone who can't recognize Russia on a world map, cannot recognize the WORLD'S LARGEST COUNTRY!  I mean, the thing's only 6.5M sq. miles and 9 times zones across. 1smile.gif  I also remember a survey of Americans during the Cold War (so obviously this was a while ago) where a MAJORITY of Americans believed that we fought *against* the Soviets in WWII.

It's all very, very sad and disturbing.

What's wrong with lacking curiosity? Why should Americans need to know where Russia is? I don't find it at all sad or disturbing.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #69 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Back on topic, the interview also contained these gems that are worthy of note:
4) Google jettisoning Motorola: “Google gets rid of something that’s losing money, something that they’re not committed to. I think it’s really hard to do hardware, software and services and to link all those things together. That’s what makes Apple so special. It’s really hard, so I’m not surprised that they are not going to do that.”
To use a crude analogy, Google basically raped Motorola Mobility for what it wanted (patents and advanced tech group) and then threw it away. I'm surprised so many are cheering this.
post #70 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

Meanwhile, Woz lets loose with some pie hole flatulence by stating that Apple should make an Android phone. Has the Woz finally jumped the shark?

Woz jumped the shark when he started playing Segway Polo.

post #71 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No it was a stupid comment. Europe is a name Americans came up with? Seriously Tim? Go over to Mac Rumors and you'll see comments like "if Android is Europe, then Apple is North Korea". Seriously dumb analogy. Apple need someone besides Tim Cook to do interviews. He's terrible at them.

Hey Rogifan, I usually agree with your posts, but not this one. For the English, Europe is another world. We don't feel European at all. And European countries are all very different, much more so than US states. Europe is mostly just a convenient label for lumping together countries that are close to each other.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #72 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not everyone thought the iPhone or iPad were new categories of product given the existence of tablets and smartphones before them. Those people would be unreasonable.
If they reinvent the TV, similarly unreasonable people might not consider it a new category of device.

 

I think it's unreasonable to call them new product categories, except maybe the iPad (I don't know whether there were tablets before the iPad, but I've heard there were).  The iPhone was a smartphone, which existed before.  It might even be categorized as a touchscreen smartphone, but that wasn't a new category either.  What set the iPhone apart was that it was the first good touchscreen smartphone, but "good touchscreen smartphones" isn't a product category.  When Apple reinvents the TV, it won't be a new category of device either.  TVs already exist, as do smart TVs.  What don't currently exist are good smart TVs.

post #73 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I think it's unreasonable to call them new product categories, except maybe the iPad (I don't know whether there were tablets before the iPad, but I've heard there were).  The iPhone was a smartphone, which existed before.  It might even be categorized as a touchscreen smartphone, but that wasn't a new category either.  What set the iPhone apart was that it was the first good touchscreen smartphone, but "good touchscreen smartphones" isn't a product category.  When Apple reinvents the TV, it won't be a new category of device either.  TVs already exist, as do smart TVs.  What don't currently exist are good smart TVs.
The point isn't whether Apple creates a category that doesn't currently exist, it's whether Apple enters a category that is new for them and brings in new revenue streams. A wearable device, TV or mobile payments system would be a new category for Apple.
post #74 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Hey Rogifan, I usually agree with your posts, but not this one. For the English, Europe is another world. We don't feel European at all. And European countries are all very different, much more so than US states. Europe is mostly just a convenient label for lumping together countries that are close to each other.
Fact is the name Europe is not a name created by Americans. It existed long before the United States did. So that comment was dumb and took away from his larger more accurate point.
post #75 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Well there currently isn't office on iPad so I'm not sure how Microsoft would welcome it. Seems if anything their desire to protect Windows and get into devices with Surface is preventing them from doing it. But like I said Microsoft should focus on what they do best right now which is cloud and software. Stop making every decision based on Windows.

You are confusing me!

 

You wrote, "I don't know about search engine but if I was Tim Cook I'd be on the phone with Satya Nadella working out some exclusive deal for office on the iPad."

 

Now you write, "I'm not sure how Microsoft would welcome it."

 

What are you thinking? :-)))

post #76 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


I'd rather that Apple focused on: (i) getting Safari right for iOS; (ii) getting its mail and iCloud right in both OSX and iOS.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Cut the condescending crap. You think I (and many thousands of others) have not?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post


He's not condescending. How do you know that Apple is not working to fix bugs? Are there not beta releases announced and delivered to developers? Or do you expect someone to contact you personally?

We do know for certain that they are not doing a good job of fixing these services. And it's not just a matter of fixing bugs. Beta releases of Mail, etc. delivered to developers? Do you know what you are taking about? What's released to developers are beta versions of iOS or Mac OS, not Mail on its own.

post #77 of 242

RE: Everyone posting about Europe.

 

There seems to be some confusion in this thread.

 

Europe is a continent.

 

Europe is not the EU, the EEC, all of Europe minus the United Kingdom, or a term invented for stupid Americans.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #78 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

RE: Everyone posting about Europe.

 

There seems to be some confusion in this thread.

 

Europe is a continent.

 

Europe is not the EU, the EEC, all of Europe minus the United Kingdom, or a term invented for stupid Americans.

I know I should resist but... Other than Europe being a continent, please share with us what you think Europe is.

post #79 of 242
Quote:
 As for a large-screen iPhone, the Apple chief was expectedly coy, saying such a product isn't out of the realm of possibility. Apple will only make the leap when the technology is ready.

I was hoping Apple would make an iPhone with a smaller screen, frankly. A lower profile would fit much better in a pocket, be lighter weight and have spectacular battery life.

Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
post #80 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


What's wrong with lacking curiosity? Why should Americans need to know where Russia is? I don't find it at all sad or disturbing.

 

Because if you lack curiosity you can never make yourself a better, fuller person.  Without a search for knowledge, to at least some degree, your existence is completely pointless (now, I have made the argument that our existence is pointless anyways, but that's a different discussion).  Do you really want to live your life like some lower life form -- eating, sleeping, reproducing, with absolutely no understanding or knowledge about the world around you?

 

As to why it's important that Americans know where Russia is (or have some understanding of their world) I can think of one really good reason: They get to vote.  Which means they get to effect what goes around me.  And I am fucking sick of ignorant, feces-flinging know-nothings having an effect on country and on my life.

 

Stupidity and ignorance are not positive qualities.  Actually, other than psychopathy and general evilness, they are two of the absolute WORST qualities in any so-called human being.  I'm not the smartest or knowledgeable person I know -- not by a long shot -- let alone in the world.  I don't claim to be.  But my blink-of-an-eye existence is at least made interesting and a bit richer by seeking out knowledge on a number of subjects.

 

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to truly, fully appreciate practically anything if you live in near complete ignorance?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook discusses bigger iPhones, Motorola sale, Android and more in interview