or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AirPlay configuration files in iOS 7 hint at next-gen Apple TV hardware

AirPlay configuration files in iOS 7 hint at next-gen Apple TV hardware

post #1 of 51
As whispers of an impending Apple TV refresh grow louder, references to a fourth-generation hardware platform for the diminutive streamer are said to have been discovered inside iOS 7 configuration files.

Apple TV

The files reference a device identified as "AppleTV4,1" while the set-top box's current-generation hardware bears a model identifier of "AppleTV3,2." Developer Hamza Sood discovered the string, and the news was first published by 9to5Mac.

A jump in the first number following the product's name generally indicates a substantial hardware change, while Apple usually boosts the second number in the case of a minor spec bump. This was most recently seen when Apple released a slightly modified third-generation unit last January and incremented the model identifier from "AppleTV3,1" to "AppleTV3,2."

Multiple reports have indicated in recent weeks that an update to Apple's favorite hobby is imminent, with some suggesting it could come as soon as March. The claims were bolstered late last month when Apple promoted the Apple TV from accessory to its own top-level product category in the company's online store.

The content of the refresh is unknown, but speculation has centered around the addition of a third-party App Store and gaming support that would turn the box into a sort of iOS-based games console. Apple acquired Israeli computer vision startup PrimeSense, whose hardware powered Microsoft's first-generation Xbox Kinect, for $360 million late last year.

Apple has also been busy beefing up the Apple TV's content lineup, adding streaming channels like WatchESPN and WatchABC in recent months. The company is believed to be plotting the addition of live television content as well, negotiating directly with content providers like HBO in a bid to bypass traditional cable operators.
post #2 of 51
No shit, they are eventually going to update the Apple TV? Colour me shocked.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 51
Noone getting it ?

It looks like there will be an Apple event in late February/early March (I strongly prefer early March because Apple events were always but last year around that time) There will be iOS 7.1, a big introduction of iOS in the car, this software, maybe even hardware refresh to Apple TV and maybe even rumored Mac mini haswell refresh.

Enough stuf for an event 1wink.gif
post #4 of 51
Better late than never, I can't understand why it's taken as long as it has already to bring out an app/channel store
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #5 of 51
Bring it on, very excited for this device as I will need another Apple TV soon anyway.
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Better late than never, I can't understand why it's taken as long as it has already to bring out an app/channel store

Its taken a long time because, imo, its going to be a major upgrade. I have the feeling the new hardware will fit into one the new product categories.

I wish they would also start selling monitors with optionnal Apple TV plug-ins so they would launch a line of monitors for the minis and mac pro and TV's at the same time.

A monitor that would be able accept an AppleTV box on its back would basicly be an upgradable TV set.

Edited by herbapou - 2/10/14 at 12:45pm
post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Leaving buffering room for video content, the amount of built-in storage (8GB) in the aTV leaves very little room for "apps" as you'd imagine them downloaded onto the box, like your iPhone or iPad.  So if Apple is planning for apps like that then they'll need to add more flash storage to the hardware.  I think this is why they'd prefer people to use AirPlay to stream games from other iOS devices, if they can get the lag down to something gamers can accept.

Channels, on the other hand, are extremely light, and basically just a front end for content streamed or stored somewhere else- so those could work with existing aTVs, as we've seen from all the Channels added over the last year.

post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its taken a long time because, imo, its going to be a major upgrade. I have the feeling the new hardware will fit into one the new product categories.

I wish they would also start selling monitors with optionnal Apple TV plug-ins so they would launch a line of monitors for the minis and mac pro and TV's at the same time.

This is the "any reasonable person" malarky.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #9 of 51
march seems too soon. my guess is that a new platform announcement for AppleTV would be WWDC... because if doing TV right is what Apple is looking to accomplish, this will be a whole new platform for developers to write code against.
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

march seems too soon. my guess is that a new platform announcement for AppleTV would be WWDC... because if doing TV right is what Apple is looking to accomplish, this will be a whole new platform for developers to write code against.

It will probably run iOS 7. iOS 7 already has the API to handle this.
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It will probably run iOS 7. iOS 7 already has the API to handle this.

this?  this?  This is likely a completely new set of Hardware... a 75ohm connector, hdmi 1.4 controls (for stuff like turning the TV on/off, changing the channel with your apple remote), connectivity for inbound blu-ray (never say never), communications to a cable box.... etc.

an api already exists.... sheesh.

post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

There will be iOS 7.1, a big introduction of iOS in the car, this software, maybe even hardware refresh to Apple TV and maybe even rumored Mac mini haswell refresh.

Don't forget the iPod Shuffle with Retina Display, the Apple TV Stand, the iPhone Air, and the Mac Pro Mini.
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
post #13 of 51
Quote:

this?  this?  This is likely a completely new set of Hardware... a 75ohm connector, hdmi 1.4 controls (for stuff like turning the TV on/off, changing the channel with your apple remote), connectivity for inbound blu-ray (never say never), communications to a cable box.... etc.

Yes the API already exists. I know this because.

1) if it didn't the new Apple TV would debut in September, after the WWDC introduces the new API and after it is beta tested.
2) the API is there already. The Game Controller classes, Sprite Kit and Open GL. That's all you need.

All the other crap you mentioned will be handled by the OS. App devs don't need to know any of it.
post #14 of 51
Interesting comments. I would like to see apple stream ALL content including games to eliminate heavy local storage. If they could master this it could change the need for more advance hardware specs in some of their devices...making the pricing more competitive while retaining high quality builds...crazy yes but could work.
post #15 of 51
Quote:

And what....make ACTUAL iOS development take a back seat? No.

WWDC attendees don't give a $%^& about AppleTV. They're a little more interested in the hundreds of millions they can make selling iPhone and iPad Apps.

AppleTV development has a long way to go before its worthy of time and attention at WWDC.

post #16 of 51
Quote:

Bluray? Nope.

post #17 of 51
blu-ray (never say never)

How about saying always? As in “Blu-ray support on an Apple product will always be a ludicrous dream in the minds of a few smaller than the xMac crowd.” :p

…communications to a cable box

Yeah, that’s the way to revolutionize¡

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #18 of 51
The AppleTV is due for a refresh, even without adding new capabilities. It's pretty easy to see them adding HDMI 2.0 for 4K, 802.11ac wireless, and a faster processor just to keep up. Those would be competitive, but unimpressive.

To really start changing the market, they need to do something new and out front. Like HEVC decoding, offering direct channel subscriptions, gaming improvements, or work with fitness/iWatch/bluetooth devices directly.

Or a 64 bit processor with enough local memory and storage to directly run games. It would hit an interesting spot in the market if it were a "console lite", analogous to IOS' casual games versus PS4 style high end games. Several parts of IOS 7.0 are a step in this direction.
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well, never know with Apple.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoinAPhrase View Post

The AppleTV is due for a refresh, even without adding new capabilities. It's pretty easy to see them adding HDMI 2.0 for 4K, 802.11ac wireless,… Or a 64 bit processor with enough local memory and storage to directly run games.

Almost exactly what I was thinking though I feel pretty confident that Apple will put in an A7 chip or modified version of one. 64-bit in any case. Support for 4K screens is also a sure thing (IMHO). As for screens, I remain very skeptical about anything other than an Apple 4K Thunderbolt display kicked up to 30-32 inches. Apple is not going to make their own TV's. The Apple TV is Apple's TV.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Noone getting it ?

It looks like there will be an Apple event in late February/early March (I strongly prefer early March because Apple events were always but last year around that time) There will be iOS 7.1, a big introduction of iOS in the car, this software, maybe even hardware refresh to Apple TV and maybe even rumored Mac mini haswell refresh.

Enough stuf for an event 1wink.gif

Works for me.... new Apple TV box that is. Actually I like the idea Google had,  cable signal overlay idea, but just threw too much into it. Should have kept it simpler to use.

post #22 of 51
I think Apple TV supports "1080P HD". By no means do I have a perfect record in predicting Apple products but it certainly seems like time to introduce a 4K-capable model of Apple TV and hopefully also start selling a 4K monitor for a reasonable price. I think Dell now sells a 4K for $699 but it has a 30 Hz refresh rate which is considered slow. Perhaps Apple plans to announce a $999 (or no worse than $1299) 4K monitor with a better refresh rate.

Does anyone know if there are any Internet-based content providers that provide online video at 4K? Could Apple start selling some iTunes movies at a 4K resolution? Are there any movies that were filmed in 4K? I just did some web research and found that a 4K movie takes 40 GB to transfer, which means very few people would be able to download a 4K movie. So I don't think this is a likely scenario for popular use until the average person gets a data cap of at least 200 GB/month. I just can't see how 4K movies can viably be sold online yet. I can't see how Apple would allow multiple downloads of a 40 GB movie.
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Bluray? Nope.

You'd swear that you guys see the words BluRay and Apple in a sentence,and you go Pavlovianlngly direct to "Never gonna happen?"

Sigh...  you don't see the beauty of using HDMI control channels to build out a 'entertainment center' the size of an AirportExtreme?

Not an Apple bluRay SKU, but an internal framework to allowing an app to control it.  Again, Apple isn't selling it, they are just creating an intelligent HDMI-IN port on their box.   It's the HDMI IN with programmable controls that's revolutionary.  This isn't dumb pass thru of a DVD players controls... this is iDVD on AppleTV... as an app. 

But developing that framework now put apple not into the TV market, but the Home Theater market.  Let' replace that $800 Denon receiver for... $99.

And 7.x API's aren't gonna just solve that in SW.

And integrating your apps into the 'control' system that integrates all your 'sources' into one searchable nav system, that you use either onscreen with your 6 button apple remote, or with your Apple Remote App on your iPad mini.

Add controls for controlling a Cable Settop box and you're golden.

The problem that Apple is not going to solve is how to get content on the internet and off of cable... the problem is to make all content be controlled by the appleTV box between all the sources and your TV, and make it easy enough for a 3 year old to navigate it ("I want to watch TeleTubbies")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, that’s the way to revolutionize¡

TS, How revolutionary was  it of apple to join ATT which, by my take, in the end will turn wireless mobile phone companies into commodity pipes instead of companies that controls the features you got on your mobile device?  (in 5 years, you went from buying minutes to buying GBs... the minutes, the messaging, etc, are free).   In 5 more years, the concept of iMessage and FaceTime will be the standard modes of communication.

In 5 years, Apps on AppleTV will be hot... ONLY if you can still watch your cable... but AppleTV makes it actually easy, and almost impossible to tell where the cable ends and the apps begin (again iPhone... where is the 'phone' in iPhone...  it's an app)

To take over the content delivery from cable companies... Apple has to be the face of the delivery... so Like maps, or iMessage, the underlying delivery can change, but the user sees nothing different.   So... When The Real housewives of Hoboken lose their cable feed, they build an app, and sell directly to their following... and if on AppleTV, it looks no different than when they were on AMC-HD.

That will be revolutionary.

post #24 of 51

Whatever they do hardware-wise, let's hope for a new interface.

The current one has evolved to a mess.

post #25 of 51
TS, How revolutionary was  it of apple to join ATT

This is completely different and you know it.

In 5 more years, the concept of iMessage and FaceTime will be the standard modes of communication.

Unless you’ve heard that the telecoms are all going bankrupt at once within the next five years, I don’t see how this optimism can ever work out.

In 5 years, Apps on AppleTV will be hot... ONLY if you can still watch your cable...

And that’s not how to revolutionize television.

So... When The Real housewives of Hoboken lose their cable feed, they build an app, and sell directly to their following... and if on AppleTV, it looks no different than when they were on AMC-HD.

See, that’s the opposite of what you said above. :???:

post #26 of 51
This is stupid. We all know what they're going to make. They're going to open up the platform for gaming. They may even have it run a full iOS 7 release so that developers could finally develop for it.
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Aluminum...!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

I think Apple TV supports "1080P HD". By no means do I have a perfect record in predicting Apple products but it certainly seems like time to introduce a 4K-capable model of Apple TV and hopefully also start selling a 4K monitor for a reasonable price. I think Dell now sells a 4K for $699 but it has a 30 Hz refresh rate which is considered slow. Perhaps Apple plans to announce a $999 (or no worse than $1299) 4K monitor with a better refresh rate.

Does anyone know if there are any Internet-based content providers that provide online video at 4K? Could Apple start selling some iTunes movies at a 4K resolution? Are there any movies that were filmed in 4K? I just did some web research and found that a 4K movie takes 40 GB to transfer, which means very few people would be able to download a 4K movie. So I don't think this is a likely scenario for popular use until the average person gets a data cap of at least 200 GB/month. I just can't see how 4K movies can viably be sold online yet. I can't see how Apple would allow multiple downloads of a 40 GB movie.

Consumer 4K is still a mostly an unsolved problem. The film industry has had access to 4K (or higher) digital formats, so there is plenty of recent content.

Sony and others are upping the capacity of Blu-Ray for 4K. Sony has a $800 4K streaming appliance that (AFIAK) only supports Sony 4K TVs. So dead-end format. Netflix promises 4K streaming (yeah right, we'll see how 4K it is when Comcast and Time Warner start to throttle your bandwidth in violation of Net Neutrality rules). YouTube claims to offer some 2160p (UHD) content, but when I play video from the built-in YouTube app that ships with Korean "smart" UHDTVs, there is no way to select the resolution, and from what I saw, it would use regular HD. I think the only way to display 4K YouTube content is to connect a 4K display to a PC (or recent Mac/MacBook Pro) and manually choose the 2160p version of the video.

If Apple wanted to raise the specs of AppleTV to 4K, and start selling or renting 4K movies on iTunes, they would be in a position to clean up the 4K content market before Microsoft and Sony get something together. I hope that's the case.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #29 of 51

It's all about the content. The idea of integrated monitors is intriguing, but I can't imagine AAPL want to compete with the race to the bottom HDTV market. Screens are great, getting better, and prices dropping. APPL has no experience in that market.

But...they do in content. And when they can show the content providers a huge market for their wares - all mobile stuff that...plugs into a box anyone can hand on their already owned HDTV...it starts to look attractive. It all works with iOS7, sdks etc etc....it's a huge marketing incentive. All without having to compete in a dead marketspace.

Genius. I so want to cut the cable. But that damn cable box, for all it's shortcomings...does work.

post #30 of 51
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Aluminum...!

Wi-Fi reception…

post #31 of 51
Quote:

You'd swear that you guys see the words BluRay and Apple in a sentence,and you go Pavlovianlngly direct to "Never gonna happen?"

Sigh...  you don't see the beauty of using HDMI control channels to build out a 'entertainment center' the size of an AirportExtreme?

Not an Apple bluRay SKU, but an internal framework to allowing an app to control it.  Again, Apple isn't selling it, they are just creating an intelligent HDMI-IN port on their box.   It's the HDMI IN with programmable controls that's revolutionary.  This isn't dumb pass thru of a DVD players controls... this is iDVD on AppleTV... as an app. 

But developing that framework now put apple not into the TV market, but the Home Theater market.  Let' replace that $800 Denon receiver for... $99.

And integrating your apps into the 'control' system that integrates all your 'sources' into one searchable nav system, that you use either onscreen with your 6 button apple remote, or with your Apple Remote App on your iPad mini.

The problem that Apple is not going to solve is how to get content on the internet and off of cable... the problem is to make all content be controlled by the appleTV box between all the sources and your TV, and make it easy enough for a 3 year old to navigate it ("I want to watch TeleTubbies")

TS, How revolutionary was  it of apple to join ATT which, by my take, in the end will turn wireless mobile phone companies into commodity pipes instead of companies that controls the features you got on your mobile device?  (in 5 years, you went from buying minutes to buying GBs... the minutes, the messaging, etc, are free).   In 5 more years, the concept of iMessage and FaceTime will be the standard modes of communication.

In 5 years, Apps on AppleTV will be hot... ONLY if you can still watch your cable... but AppleTV makes it actually easy, and almost impossible to tell where the cable ends and the apps begin (again iPhone... where is the 'phone' in iPhone...  it's an app)

To take over the content delivery from cable companies... Apple has to be the face of the delivery... so Like maps, or iMessage, the underlying delivery can change, but the user sees nothing different.   So... When The Real housewives of Hoboken lose their cable feed, they build an app, and sell directly to their following... and if on AppleTV, it looks no different than when they were on AMC-HD.

I think you have some good ideas. There is such a mess of stuff out there when it comes to TV. The main ones:

OTA (Over The Air -- antenna)

STB (cable or satellite Set Top Box)

OTT (Over The Top -- streamers like ATV or Roku)

BluRay/DVD

Some people pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars installing control systems like AMX or Crestron to put a relatively easy to use interface on all this. Although many cut the cord and go completely OTT, you end up with less. For some, less is best, but STB and yes, even Disc formats (which may well be around longer as a relatively low-cost/high quality method of 4K distribution) will likely be part of the TV landscape for the foreseeable future. And OTA's ability to provide signal with a simple antenna connected to a TV running on battery or generator is a tremendous benefit during widespread power outages when Internet and often even cellular service gets disrupted (plus, it's free). These distribution mechanisms provide choices desired by many that should not be ignored.

I like the idea of putting an OTT device like the Apple TV in between the STB or other HDMI sources and the TV (an HDMI "sink"). Control via HDMI/CEC to control the sources and the TV (including switching the TV to OTA when desired) using an ATV remote or the Remote iOS app, with a searchable and easily customizable interface would be awesome. In this case, the ATV should act as the "sink" to the sources, then as a source to the TV to deal with HDCP (not repeater mode like AV receivers do) thereby allowing for fast switching, like commercial HDMI switches do. As channels/apps (games?) get added directly within ATV, and 4K capability (HEVC H.265), so much the better.

Well, we can dream, can't we?

A lot of the above involves integration of legacy devices, something Apple doesn't usually do. But if they do, I would say they "finally cracked it."

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

post #32 of 51
Quote:

Aluminum...!

Aluminium!

post #33 of 51
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Aluminium!

You’d trust a newspaper over the guy who actually came up with the real name (who, as it happens, was British in the first place)? :p

post #34 of 51
Quote:

Not an Apple bluRay SKU, but an internal framework to allowing an app to control it.  Again, Apple isn't selling it, they are just creating an intelligent HDMI-IN port on their box.   It's the HDMI IN with programmable controls 
that's revolutionary.  This isn't dumb pass thru of a DVD players controls... this is iDVD on AppleTV... as an app. 

Thank You for saving me the time to write thie above myself. I pointed this out months ago here on another thread.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #35 of 51
If the AppleTV gets an SDK and peripheral support on the level of other iPhone devices then Blu-ray support could come from a third party developer and Blu-ray player manufacturer.

Alternatively, Apple could support HDMI-in and pass through the signal from any other HDMI device.

Either are realistic, since iOS can already accomplish the former, and the latter is a reasonable solution (Xbox One).

censored

censored

post #36 of 51
A7 processor, stuff a hard drive back in as in the first gen - or a larger SSD...

Saved my mind this morning when DirecTV had a problem streaming Bloomberg's Surveillance. Fortunately, AppleTV added Bloomberg a few weeks back and I just switched over and watched the show live.

Which was great - with Ken Burns as a guest for the second hour discussing the new Ken Burns/PBS history series app.

And the AppleTV stream is the same as the iPad app stream - no commercials.
post #37 of 51
Quote:

I think he was correct.  iOS 7 contains everything needed for apps on aTV.  You don't need CEC/HEC access on the first API cut since Apple will want to establish their own way of doing device control and internally add specific CEC/HEC drivers/configurations from CE manufacturers that wish to integrate.

They don't want a Denon or LG app to do special Denon or LG things.  They want a unified control system and the best way to do that is to NOT provide access to the CEC and HEC functions.

The first set of apps will likely be just games and maybe some iLife stuff.

And unless they are building in good audio capability they aren't going to replace my Denon receiver.

Quote:

Despite protestations that they'd love an Apple STB I don't really think that cable operators are all that keen on letting Apple control the gateway the way Apple would insist on controlling the gateway to the viewers.  They didn't make cable card an immense pain in the ass for so many years because they want to let other folks get between them and their customers.

If the Cable STB is a HDMI CEC compliant device where you can set the channel and it's not dog slow so folks can actually surf as fast as with the native cable remote then perhaps it would work with a good EPG and UI.

post #38 of 51

I think Apple should just buy DTV and get all their content PLUS the NFL ticket and a bunch of physical satellites all in one swoop.

From Wiki:

"DirecTV is also the exclusive U.S. rights holder to sports package NFL Sunday Ticket. DirecTV also exclusively carries the "DirecTV Experience", which includes bonus coverage of Men's Majors Golf Tournaments and Grand Slam Tennis Tournaments, including live feeds not available on other networks such as CBSNBCESPNGolf Channel and Tennis Channel, that cover the events. DirecTV was also the exclusive provider of defunct sports packages NASCAR Hot Pass andMega March Madness."

DTV has all the infrastructure and content in place and could probably be bought for 50-60B in cash & AAPL stock.

I think having Apple behind DTV would boost DTV membership significantly and set Apple up with all the content (including the exclusive "LIVE" coverage ) they could hope for virtually overnight.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post
And the AppleTV stream is the same as the iPad app stream - no commercials.

When I stream from the various canadien channels using there ipad apps there are commercials.  I like commercials, I dont want to pay for every single show I watch and be force to buy them all.

In fact, streaming could be a solution for PVR commercials bypass, if the PVR is moved into the cloud, they could force the commercials on playback just like channels TV apps do.

post #40 of 51
Quote:
If Apple wanted to raise the specs of AppleTV to 4K, and start selling or renting 4K movies on iTunes, they would be in a position to clean up the 4K content market before Microsoft and Sony get something together. I hope that's the case.

problem with that is bandwidth, you need a lot of it or an unlimited package to stream a lot of content. The better solution would be for Apple to make agreements with cable operators so they could have Apple TV apps and be able to feed you channels that dont used any internet bandwidht.  But for the looks of it, the cable operators need to die first, because they dont want to do it.

imo if cable doesnt do anything, they will become internet pipes over time and lose there TV business.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AirPlay configuration files in iOS 7 hint at next-gen Apple TV hardware