or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Lisa mouse personally donated by Steve Jobs unearthed in Colorado time capsule

Apple Lisa mouse personally donated by Steve Jobs unearthed in Colorado time capsule

post #1 of 37
A mouse from an Apple Lisa computer used by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has been recovered from a time capsule buried by organizers of the 1983 Aspen International Design Conference.

Lisa Mouse

Jobs donated the mouse for the time capsule --?called the "Aspen Time Tube" --?after using it to give a presentation at the conference, according to CNET. The event's organizers wanted to reopen the 13-foot-long steel tube in 2000, but its location was lost thanks to new landscaping in the area where it was buried.

The capsule was rediscovered last September, and a crew from the National Geographic Channel show Diggers brought it to the surface. Show co-host George Wyant told the publication that the crew "went crazy" when they found the tube.

"We just freaked out," Wyant said. "We went crazy. Because I'd had a pit in my stomach all day, so it was like instant relief."

Jobs's mouse --?alongside other items like a Moody Blues tape and a Rubik's Cube --?was well-preserved, having been ensconced in plastic bags before the capsule's burial.

The capsule, mouse included, will be featured on the season premier of Diggers on Feb. 25 at 10 p.m. Eastern time.
post #2 of 37
They wouldn't have to dig too far into my basement to find my LISA mouse or in fact my whole LISA. I don't think that Steve Jobs used it though, but other Steves did, as well as Alexs, Chucks, Tanias, Bills, ... well you get the idea. It has a hard time firing up its hard drive anymore. I guess I'll have to take it to the Apple Store and see whats up with that.

Grumpy
post #3 of 37

Next a SIRI enabled iPhone.  When they remove it from the capsule it gets pissed and starts cussing in french.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

They wouldn't have to dig too far into my basement to find my LISA mouse or in fact my whole LISA. I don't think that Steve Jobs used it though, but other Steves did, as well as Alexs, Chucks, Tanias, Bills, ... well you get the idea. It has a hard time firing up its hard drive anymore. I guess I'll have to take it to the Apple Store and see whats up with that.

Grumpy

LMAO .... hey, post some pics and keep us updated. :)

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Inside Google! 

post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Next a SIRI enabled iPhone.  When they remove it from the capsule it gets pissed and starts cussing in french.

OK, this one made me go ROFLMAO just picturing the scenario!

Inside Google! 

Inside Google! 

post #6 of 37
Glad they didn't dug up a Lisa.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #7 of 37
They should've waited 100 years. That's not very long for a time capsule.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 37
Maybe I'm just getting old, but 30 years doesn't seem like a very long time to keep a time capsule buried. And they had wanted to open it after just 17 years?
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Maybe I'm just getting old, but 30 years doesn't seem like a very long time to keep a time capsule buried. And they had wanted to open it after just 17 years?

Totally lame. The steel tube looks as if it was buried yesterday. All the whooping and cheering in the world can make this seem like a significant archeological find.

post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

... And they had wanted to open it after just 17 years?

Makes them feel self important.  Time capsules should be opened by people who were not even alive when the thing was buried.  100+ years is a good time frame.

post #11 of 37
Quote:

Grumpy

That would be classic! Gotta make a friend make a video during it. Just make sure to make an appointment!

post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Makes them feel self important.  Time capsules should be opened by people who were not even alive when the thing was buried.  100+ years is a good time frame.

Sounds like a well-conceived plan, this steel time capsule. But without any real intent for follow-through, since they "lost" the capsule. I agree with ya'all: re-package the stuff and put it back in the ground for a couple hundred years.

post #13 of 37
Shoulda had Geraldo dig it up.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Totally lame. The steel tube looks as if it was buried yesterday. All the whooping and cheering in the world can make this seem like a significant archeological find.

30 years is kitsch.
100 years is fascinating
300 years is history
1000 years is archeology

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 37

What the 100+ time capsule people don't seem to realize is how easily lost these are.  Seventeen years seems like a short time- but they LOST it even in that short a time!  It has been found that the vast, vast majority of time capsules from the 20th century have been lost and totally forgotten. Usually they are only found during new construction.  The answer isn't to have 100 year time capsules but to understand the entire idea of a "time capsule" is totally stupid no matter what the circumstances!  We cannot foresee what will be rare or interesting in the future.  Obviously the Lisa mouse is a even a reach here, and imagine how much less so if Steve Jobs hadn't come back to Apple and raised it to the level it's at today, and then passed away.  Instead it would be an obsolete piece of computer junk from a defunct company, as many might even say that's all it is now.  Please people, stop burying time capsules altogether and spare yourselves the embarrassment and adding to what amounts to more landfill trash!

post #16 of 37
Originally Posted by CristobalD View Post
We cannot foresee what will be rare or interesting in the future.

Of course we can.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #17 of 37

That is one BIG ASS Time Capsule for one SMALL ASS mouse.

Guess the other crap in there is 100% garbage.

post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristobalD View Post

Please people, stop burying time capsules altogether and spare yourselves the embarrassment and adding to what amounts to more landfill trash!

A time capsule is really small compared to the enormity of land fills and it is a buried treasure not trash. It makes people happy so quit being a Debbie Downer.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 37
Its pretty ironic that the item dug up to celebrate Jobs is represented by the device (and thus Apple's historic failure to live up to promises made to those businesses that invested in the device) that led to the the PC's adoption and dominance in the business community. Should have done Jobs a favor and quietly slipped it back in the tube. Tell me there was also a Newton in there too.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There was a time in the 20th contrary that 30 years for a time capsule may have proven to be interesting when things were changing rapidly and we didn't have easy access to more recent, historical data. Considering I can hop on iTunes to listen to Moody Blues, or look up the entire Lisa or even run the original Apple OS in an web browser that is not today. Even 100 years might be long enough these days.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

From the looks of it, it was a PVC pipe not Steel that is why is look so good and was so easy to cut with a circular saw.

post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

From the looks of it, it was a PVC pipe not Steel that is why is look so good and was so easy to cut with a circular saw.

If it was steel it would have been easier to locate with a metal detector and may not become lost for 14 years.

post #23 of 37
I prefer time capsules that are above ground and called museums.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 37
When the people who buried it are still around it makes the whole concept of a time capsule ridiculous.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthelisa View Post

Its pretty ironic that the item dug up to celebrate Jobs is represented by the device (and thus Apple's historic failure to live up to promises made to those businesses that invested in the device) that led to the the PC's adoption and dominance in the business community. Should have done Jobs a favor and quietly slipped it back in the tube. Tell me there was also a Newton in there too.

If I recall correctly, nothing Apple sold back then was going to stop the PC's ascent. Not the Apple //, Apple ///, not the Lisa, not the Mac, or anything else. Until the iPad.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #26 of 37
Remember, this was part of a design conference. Perhaps the idea was to see how designs changed in a relatively short period of time. Of course now with the Web, Wikipedia, and search engines this idea of a physical time capsule seems quaint.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Remember, this was part of a design conference. Perhaps the idea was to see how designs changed in a relatively short period of time. Of course now with the Web, Wikipedia, and search engines this idea of a physical time capsule seems quaint.

Actually, just yesterday I tried to retrieve something I'd read 5 years ago on the web, and it was gone.  As was all internet memory of it.  So I think your comment about the web etc actually makes the physical time capsule even more intriguing!

post #28 of 37
Quote:

Grumpy

I loved the Lisa, I can remember my training session on it like it was yesterday. First part of lesson ... "This is a mouse ..." 1cool.gif

Does your Lisa still run fine?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There was a time in the 20th contrary that 30 years for a time capsule may have proven to be interesting when things were changing rapidly and we didn't have easy access to more recent, historical data. Considering I can hop on iTunes to listen to Moody Blues, or look up the entire Lisa or even run the original Apple OS in an web browser that is not today. Even 100 years might be long enough these days.

Plus time is definately running a hell of a lot faster now. 1biggrin.gif
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Isn't that 'dag' up? 1wink.gif
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Yes, you're right. Not sure why I thought it was a steel tube. I thought I heard them say so. Regardless, it was lame. Cheapo television.

post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Some are as short as 30 years however most are 50+ now 17 is just extreme,

For this it simply looks similar to a modern mouse and is not (totally) been replaced by new hardware.
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Isn't that 'dag' up? 1wink.gif

I'm digging that! (I shouldn't be trying to type blindly)
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #34 of 37
Quote:

I'm digging that! (I shouldn't be trying to type blindly)

In all seriousness, is English your second language? If so you write it better than most many cough, cough ... Americans ... or perhaps you are a Yank / Brit living over there?
post #35 of 37
Quote:

In all seriousness, is English your second language? If so you write it better than most many cough, cough ... Americans ... or perhaps you are a Yank / Brit living over there?

You'd never know English wasn't his first language.

On another note, I still can't conjugate simple Spanish sentences despite the hours I put into it.

Phil, when did you start learning English?

post #36 of 37
Quote:

^ post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

^ post

You're too kind. Indeed, second language. I guess I picked it up from TV. Of course I learned it in school when I turned 12, but never made it 'to a higher level'. I do read quite a handful of English on the web, and even think in English, often. I was in a relationship for 8 years where we talked English often, while she was Dutch as well. I don't know, I can even make a play of (English) words, like in this thread:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160795/apple-now-allowing-trade-ins-for-water-damaged-devices

Lame to point something out like this, but since it got pretty much unnoticed...It was a right play of words, correct?

Solip, keep on learning. It really benefits one to speak another language, and Spanish is the most widely used apart from English.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #37 of 37
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Lisa mouse personally donated by Steve Jobs unearthed in Colorado time capsule