or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Highly suspect photos claim to show 'iPhone 6' chassis [u x2]

Highly suspect photos claim to show 'iPhone 6' chassis [u x2]

post #1 of 137
A trio of "blurry cam" photos purportedly showing Apple's next-generation "iPhone 6" chassis have made their way to the Web, with the part sporting rounded corners and a thin design matching the current-generation iPad lineup.

Update: Further analysis of the images indicates they are three-dimensional renders, rather than photographs of leaked parts. Some textures used -- including the fingerprint smudges on the display -- match those applied by well-known concept artist Martin Hajek, while other textures are repeated in multiple places on the images. Hajek indicated on Twitter that the textures were his, but that he is not the model's creator.

Sonny Dickson has posted a few higher resolution photos to his website, one of which is embedded below. The overall look of the machined part is more than reminiscent of the iPad mini, with rounded edges and softer corners. Gone are the radio-transparent windows on the rear of the housing and there appears to be no sign of gap antennas. It is possible that Apple is planning to incorporate a new technology to enhance signal strength, though at this point such claims are merely speculation.

As stated below, the chassis itself looks to be slightly wider than the current iPhone 5s, hinting at a larger and possibly bezel-less display.

Part
Purported 'iPhone 6' chassis. | Source: Sonny Dickson

In a series of tweets, Sonny Dickson posted three "teaser" images of what he suggests is Apple's "iPhone 6."

Due to the poor image quality and highly speculative nature of the photos, AppleInsider cannot confirm the veracity of Dickson's claims and presents the following for purposes of discussion only.

Part

Not much can be seen in the incredibly blurry and highly cropped photo set, but from what little is shown, it appears the part boasts a large hole presumably for a rear-facing camera. Next to the camera port is a pill-shaped cutout that could potentially house a flash akin to the iPhone 5s' dual-LED True Tone module. A slit in between the camera and flash holes could be used for a rear-facing microphone.

Part

Moving on to the inside of the supposed iPhone housing, a number of anchor points can be seen for what will presumably be a logic board and supporting circuitry. CNC machining marks stand out, hinting that the chassis material is a metal alloy. To one side of the housing is a SIM card slot, which is actually quite large in comparison to the rest of the structure.

Part

The edges and corners of the housing look to be inline with Apple's iPad mini with Retina display, possibly suggesting the company will carry over that design language to its smartphone lineup as well. Compositing a rough overlay of the current iPhone 5s, the rumored iPhone 6 part is about 4 millimeters wider, with the added real estate coming from the side opposite the camera. Finally, a spacer and requisite electromagnetic shielding can be seen on the top and bottom of the part.

The blurry cam quality, odd dimensions and suspect image cropping place this photo set squarely in the "rumor" category, though it does make for some interesting guess work as to what Apple might be planning.
post #2 of 137
So... is it larger than the current iPhone?

That's what I wanna know.
post #3 of 137
Nice 1smile.gif

Can some one figure out the size?
post #4 of 137
Wait, where are RF transparent windows?
post #5 of 137

If it is highly suspect and completely unsubstantiated, how in the world does it give any insight at all into what Apple is planning? 

post #6 of 137

iPhablet!

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #7 of 137
Uncropped versions of what appears to be the same item over at MacRumors:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/12/alleged-iphone-6-prototype/
post #8 of 137

Head over to 9to5mac and they have the photo relayed with an iPhone 5

post #9 of 137
And the antennas are where exactly? I kind of doubt Apple invented a way for radio signals to penetrate aluminum.
post #10 of 137
Bigfoot is real. These photos prove it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 137
At first I thought someone might be trolling using pictures of an iPod Touch. But the camera appears more in line with an iphone 5s, and Touches feature a plastic window for the Wi-Fi, missing in this photo.

I doubt any factory would be producing them so soon though. Unless they're prototyping some assembly processes or something. But you'd think they could produce a few units without someone whipping out their camera phone.
post #12 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

Well they have bought up the supply of LiquidMetal, which is amorphous and can therefore be configured for electromagnetic transparency.

Though they sure as heck don't have the means to produce 50 million units each quarter.
post #13 of 137
Sonny Dickson has a pretty reliable history and I would be tempted to believe it, even if it could just be good CGI. But if it's true, how can the FCC logo already be there? Coming out soon? I actually wouldn't be surprised.
post #14 of 137

One of the pictures, from 9to5 Mac.
post #15 of 137
All the pictures :

post #16 of 137

So is the back going to be flush or will the camera stick out like on the iPod touch?

post #17 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Well they have bought up the supply of LiquidMetal, which is amorphous and can therefore be configured for electromagnetic transparency.

Though they sure as heck don't have the means to produce 50 million units each quarter.

Based on patent filings they can mass produce it the same way plastic housings are made from a template and injections. The company that they are licensing the technology on how to make the metal also has some but for small objects such as the iPhone 3G/3GS sim eject tool that Apple made from Liquid Metal. 

post #18 of 137

Its too early for those kind of leaks, this may point to a launch sooner than fall.

Edited by herbapou - 2/12/14 at 4:09pm
post #19 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And the antennas are where exactly? I kind of doubt Apple invented a way for radio signals to penetrate aluminum.

Liquidmetal alloys demonstrate a different molecular structure than traditional metals which makes it stronger and allows for the radio penetration and can also act as the antenna. Apple did not invent this, a company called Liquidmetal Technologies did. This has been around for a few years and Apple signed an agreement with them back in 2008 to make the sim eject tool for the iPhone 3G and on. The technology at the time was not ready for main stream because they could not produce large objects correctly with the metal. Apple has now been granted in the past 4 years patents on how to manufacture liquidmetal housings in similar ways that plastic housing are made 

post #20 of 137

A bigger phone, I wonder what made them think of that?  Innovation running wild.

post #21 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This is too early for those kind of leaks, this may point to a launch sooner than fall.

Well only time will tell. If they have an announcement in early spring such as March or April for iOS like they have done in the past then they will announce the iPhone at WWDC, if they do not and they announce iOS 8 at WWDC they will be releasing the iPhone in the September time frame. I highly doubt they will release this sooner than the fall. With the way the technology is moving and if they are going to put an A8 processor in the phone they will need until the fall to do so. 

post #22 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

A bigger phone, I wonder what made them think of that?  Innovation running wild.

They probably got the idea from looking at their other product lines.

Multiple sizes of iMacs, MacBooks and iPads.
post #23 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

Now that I've seen size comparison  I'm kinda hoping that they are fake.

post #24 of 137
Well,I don't like this design.
post #25 of 137

I won't say that these are 'not' suspect, but I don't know why AI posted only the worst ones, and seem to have even distorted the ones they did post a little (?)

I've seen all this kind of "leaked" stuff, and mock-ups, etc, etc. for as long as they've been around, but I found these (on the web sites that are actually posting the full actual photos) to be some of the most convincing I've seen.

None the less, i take them still, with a decent dose of salt.

post #26 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So is the back going to be flush or will the camera stick out like on the iPod touch?

Will the antigravity field generators on the new mothership be flush or stick out like the Roswell saucer?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Yeah, cuz making things bigger is innovation all right.

post #28 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Well,I don't like this design.

Six months later: "OMG, this is the best iPhone yet! Got my pre-order in!"
post #29 of 137
Looks pretty convincing and pretty good stuff. For those of us who like the bigger phones. Hopeful they will continue to offer a 5S size with same internals for the one handed fanatics.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #30 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I've seen all this kind of "leaked" stuff, and mock-ups, etc, etc. for as long as they've been around, but I found these (on the web sites that are actually posting the full actual photos) to be some of the most convincing I've seen.

On what do you base your measure of credibility? The blurriness of the images? Seems like every modern auto-focus camera is sharp as a tack EXCEPT when trying to take a picture of the next iPhone, ghosts, or Sasquatch. Then, mysteriously, the camera can't focus for shit, even if these parts have been obviously laid out for photographs.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 137
Originally Posted by acatomic View Post

Wait, where are RF transparent windows?

Maybe the back is plastic.

(Just kidding.  Sorry.)

I'm wondering if it's possible to formulate Liquidmetal in a way that:

1. makes it easily recyclable and / or relatively inexpensive,

2. makes it RF-transparent, and

3. allows it to be colored (gray, silver, gold etc.)

If so, Apple could kill off most of the and lightweight scratch-proof 3rd party iPhone cases out there.

I'd love to see that.  Liquidmetal can apparently be extremely durable and scratch-resistant.

Combine that with a synthetic sapphire-laminated touchscreen and boom, goodbye case market.

I hate putting a case on my iPhone.  I just use a leather slip-cover.  Cases destroy thinness.

Edited by SockRolid - 2/12/14 at 4:37pm

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #32 of 137

Perhaps the antenna signals will be routed through the Apple logo on the back?  Isn't that how they do it on the non-LTE iPads?

post #33 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

On what do you base your measure of credibility? The blurriness of the images? Seems like every modern auto-focus camera is sharp as a tack EXCEPT when trying to take a picture of the next iPhone, ghosts, or Sasquatch. Then, mysteriously, the camera can't focus for shit, even if these parts have been obviously laid out for photographs.

Sonny Dickson was VERY accurate last year. The only thing that doesn't seem legit is the asymmetrical front bezels. Not sure Apple would do that. Looks too Samsung.

post #34 of 137
Ditch the iPod touch already and go with 5.5" iPad nano-wifi and cellular.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #35 of 137

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the size. Then again, I love the size of the iPhone 5/5s. But the overall design is almost exactly what I was hoping for from Apple. The iPad Mini and iPad Air are the perfect devices to base the iPhone design off of, and I hope that whatever they end up going with at least bears a strong resemblance to that design.

But at least it's nice to see something tangible. Here's hoping for a steady stream of leaks and images of increasing reliability.

(When did the first iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s chassis images come out? I don't remember. But I feel like it wasn't nearly this early in the year. I thought we mostly got internal components leaks for the first few months.)

post #36 of 137

Why do you keep going on and on and on about the image quality of the pictures?  So what if they're "blurry cam?"  Why does that make them any less believable than if they were pristine quality?  If anything, I would believe them more, because they were apparently captured in haste, without taking time to light or even focus properly.  

Similarly, why are you fixated on the fact that the photos are "highly cropped?"  Some are cropped, to draw attention to certain areas, but there are many that aren't cropped at all.  What is your point?  Is cropping a sure sign of a faked photo?  Why?

Finally, how does a slightly wider chassis hint at a bezel-less display?  I see absolutely no connection between the two whatsoever.  Could the chassis not be wider and there still be a bezel?  This is just faulty logic.  

post #37 of 137
An article from CultOfMac from 2010 suggests they could be using liquid metal for the antenna.

http://www.cultofmac.com/54827/liquidmetal-inventor-exotic-alloy-may-make-new-iphone-antenna-exclusive/
post #38 of 137
This means the entire case could be the antenna
post #39 of 137

The lack of symmetry and all that space wasted on the bottom bezel makes this prototype uber ugly.

post #40 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The lack of symmetry and all that space wasted on the bottom bezel makes this prototype uber ugly.
Um, where does the home button go? Apple isn't going to add Touch ID to the home button only to replace it one year later.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Highly suspect photos claim to show 'iPhone 6' chassis [u x2]