or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Highly suspect photos claim to show 'iPhone 6' chassis [u x2]

Highly suspect photos claim to show 'iPhone 6' chassis [u x2] - Page 3

post #81 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Aside from asymmetrical bezels what makes it look like a Galaxy, or missing key Appleness? It's basically a larger iPod touch or a smaller iPad. Btw, I think the gold phone is fake; I don't think Apple will release a new phone with asymmetrical bezels.

The overall appearance of this render is very Galaxy-esque because of the curvature of the corners (it's a more broad curve like on Samsungs) and the roundness of the back cover at the edges, which is strongly reminiscent of the S3 and S4.  I don't think it'll turn out looking like these.  The day Apple uses a clearly asymmetric design on the front is the day it snows in Hell.

post #82 of 137
More evidence these might be fake.

Nope. That’s PROOF.

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Though I love every minute of this nonsense. So much fun. :lol:

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #83 of 137
Sonny Dickson basically admits the gold phone is fake.

29pqjdj.jpg
post #84 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Perhaps the antenna signals will be routed through the Apple logo on the back?  Isn't that how they do it on the non-LTE iPads?

That's one of the main reasons these look fake because the devices with a black Apple logo have the shape cut out of the metal and the plastic goes right through to allow the signal to pass and also to keep the plastic in place. It could be that the Apple logo and text are printed on the cellophane to give an idea of what a finished model would look like.

The front is all fake. The touch id is shown with an outer shadow on the ring but the real ring is sunk in, it's not raised up like that.

If there's something genuine in the images, it is only the silver back plate and not the text or front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 
At first I thought someone might be trolling using pictures of an iPod Touch.

If the back plate is genuine, I'd say it would be a new iPod Touch. The iPod sales have been dropping fast so something is going to replace it. It's not really due for an update as it was updated in September. A sim card can be useful for mobile data.

I'd like to see an iPod Touch as an entry phone with an external antenna. I figured the sim card would go in the external case but it makes more sense to put it internally. Without the antenna case, it's an iPod. That doesn't explain the wifi signal though. Potentially this is an iPod case before the wifi holes are cut out.

It also also doesn't look any bigger than the iPod Touch is now when you look at the size and location of the Lightning port.

Dude, go to Wikipedia and read what liquid metal is. There's no need for plastic or any other material for antennas.
post #85 of 137
So, they are fake. But a design similar to this with a 5" (more or less) would be fantastic for those of us who actually need a smartphone.
post #86 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The lack of symmetry and all that space wasted on the bottom bezel makes this prototype uber ugly.

Whereas I think the asymmetric layout actually looks BETTER than top and bottom being the same size.

Apparently it's just not possible to please everyone with just one style. Hopefully they will offer a variety the way they do with their other products.

post #87 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post

(Also, I hope I'm not the only one wishing that Apple would figure out a way to keep the 4" screen alive going forward, because I'm not ready to make room in my life for one of these clown phones.)

For the last two years, expressions here of desire for a larger screen have been met with "Then buy something else." Could these images signal a degree of poetic justice in those dismissive bumwipes now being in a position of having to choose between THEIR preferred design or another brand? Of having their preferences mocked and insulted they way the small-preferring set have until now, using terms like "moron" and "clown phone?" Wouldn't that be a hilarious turnaround?

But the better man instead hopes for diversity and variety so more users can be happy.

post #88 of 137
Quote:

Sonny Dickson basically admits the gold phone is fake.

[IMG]

What happened to the English language? "Yes, I no its fake". That could be interpreted as "Yes, I (moment of silence) no, it's fake"
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #89 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

So, they are fake. But a design similar to this with a 5" (more or less) would be fantastic for those of us who actually need a smartphone.

People who need a smartphone buy the real thing: an iPhone, whatever generation that might be. Why, iOS for one. 3.5" or 4" screen is another dead giveaway.
post #90 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

People who need a smartphone buy the real thing: an iPhone, whatever generation that might be

I don't think that's fair. I know a few really smart people who are doing great things with their Samsungs and Google accounts, including one colleague who made the switch from Apple to Android who seems happier. I prefer the iPhone for myself, but I'm not so unwilling to recognize the viability of alternatives. These aren't stupid people, so they must see something you and I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why, iOS for one.

True. Agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

3.5" or 4" screen is another dead giveaway.

But see, for some of us the purchase decision wasn't BECAUSE of the screen size but IN SPITE of it. I wanted a larger screen but I wasn't willing to change platforms to get it. Each of us has our own list of preferences and priority order that we use to build our own, unique acceptable compromise. So, for some (maybe even many?) the choice of an iPhone isn't an endorsement of the screen size, it's an accepted compromise.

post #91 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

^ post

Indeed, a Google or Samsung device can do all what some want to do. But Pedro was indicating that a smartphone with a screen smaller than 5" wasn't needed "for those of us who actually need a smartphone", which I think is total bullocks. And the sales numbers seem to indicate as well.

Like you wrote, "an accepted compromise"
post #92 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Ditch the iPod touch already and go with 5.5" iPad nano-wifi and cellular.

iPad nano Nice, i'm glad too see that i'm not only who thought of this product and i agree they should definitely ditch the iPod touch. Those are fake! its way to ugly to be an iPad or specially an iPhone 

post #93 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's one of the main reasons these look fake because the devices with a black Apple logo have the shape cut out of the metal and the plastic goes right through to allow the signal to pass and also to keep the plastic in place. It could be that the Apple logo and text are printed on the cellophane to give an idea of what a finished model would look like.

The front is all fake. The touch id is shown with an outer shadow on the ring but the real ring is sunk in, it's not raised up like that.

If there's something genuine in the images, it is only the silver back plate and not the text or front.
If the back plate is genuine, I'd say it would be a new iPod Touch. The iPod sales have been dropping fast so something is going to replace it. It's not really due for an update as it was updated in September. A sim card can be useful for mobile data.

I'd like to see an iPod Touch as an entry phone with an external antenna. I figured the sim card would go in the external case but it makes more sense to put it internally. Without the antenna case, it's an iPod. That doesn't explain the wifi signal though. Potentially this is an iPod case before the wifi holes are cut out.

It also also doesn't look any bigger than the iPod Touch is now when you look at the size and location of the Lightning port.

I agree it looks fake. The pictures have something reminiscent of the rendering by Martin Hajek.

And here it is :

http://www.martinhajek.com/iphone-6-air-maxi-pro/

post #94 of 137
I see, fake. Well spotted by whomever did the Sherlocking here. I liked it, but am happy with the 4" as well.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #95 of 137
Quote:

Quote:

^ post

Indeed, a Google or Samsung device can do all what some want to do. But Pedro was indicating that a smartphone with a screen smaller than 5" wasn't needed "for those of us who actually need a smartphone", which I think is total bullocks. And the sales numbers seem to indicate as well.

Like you wrote, "an accepted compromise"

iOS, the camera, build quality and innovation (SOC, fingerprint scanner) make the iPhone the best smartphone available today DESPITE the small screen.

Not acknowledging how much better a 5" screen (the LG G2 is a relatively small device, for example.), if equivalent (resolution, color reproduction, etc, just like the HTC one) is for everything a modern smartphone is used (web, apps, productivity, video, games, room for bigger batteries that clearly offset the screen size impact on battery life, etc.) without compromising basic functions like phone calls (despite a little bit difficult one handed operation, witch is irrelevant for most people I know) is being extremely ignorant or blindly faithful to stupid ideas.

So yeah, If Apple makes one the world will be at their feet, if they doesn't they do not understand what a modern smartphone really is, as a device, and will be rightfully seen as a random company in a sea of companies instead of "the" company, as they have been since 98.

Of course, not one is saying that they should stop making an equivalent 4" device. Millions enjoy it, fine.

post #96 of 137
Quote:

But Pedro was indicating that a smartphone with a screen smaller than 5" wasn't needed "for those of us who actually need a smartphone", which I think is total bullocks.

Sorry, I missed the context there. Understood now.

post #97 of 137
This is what Sonny Dickson says on his website re: the silver case.
Quote:
I’m not 100% sure this is the real back housing, but I’ll be updating it as I get more information regarding it.

Also he has no photos of that gold device on his website. Just three photos of the silver case.

http://sonnydickson.com/2014/02/13/could-this-be-apples-next-iphone-the-iphone-6/

Seems a bit odd that we see the back of the silver case (logo, iPhone name etc.) but not the gold one. Though I'm sure it would be easy to fake those too. It's almost like someone got a hold of these leaked photos and photoshopped in a fully assembled gold 'concept' render. As I've said before. I will be VERY surprised if Apple ships a phone with asymmetrical bezels.
Edited by Rogifan - 2/13/14 at 4:56am
post #98 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

http://www.martinhajek.com/iphone-6-air-maxi-pro/

Dear Apple:

Please hire Martin Hajek to design the next iPhone. His vision of what it could be looks awesome.

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

V5V

post #99 of 137

Fake.

post #100 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The overall appearance of this render is very Galaxy-esque because of the curvature of the corners (it's a more broad curve like on Samsungs) and the roundness of the back cover at the edges, which is strongly reminiscent of the S3 and S4.  I don't think it'll turn out looking like these.  The day Apple uses a clearly asymmetric design on the front is the day it snows in Hell.

Now that it's clear that it's fake, I'm really reassured.

What about people saying that I would buy this in a few months? Turns out, some of use Apple users don't blindly follow Apple.

post #101 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Fake.
his renders look too much like Samsung Galaxy devices. And i agree that hell will have frozen over if Apple uses asymmetrical bezels in the next iPhone.
post #102 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

A bigger phone, I wonder what made them think of that?  Innovation running wild.

Innovation is in its size and thicknes: it will stay same same as predecessor however screen size will increase dramatically, will be as thin as ligtning jack. At least based on these pics
post #103 of 137
Quote:

For the last two years, expressions here of desire for a larger screen have been met with "Then buy something else." Could these images signal a degree of poetic justice in those dismissive bumwipes now being in a position of having to choose between THEIR preferred design or another brand? Of having their preferences mocked and insulted they way the small-preferring set have until now, using terms like "moron" and "clown phone?" Wouldn't that be a hilarious turnaround?

But the better man instead hopes for diversity and variety so more users can be happy.

Dude, take a chill pill. I apologize if I offended you with my joke, but come on.

I've held the opinion for years that Apple should produce multiple sizes of phone to maximize customer choice, and therefore maximize purchases. Now, I don't agree that Apple should do as Samsung does and cater to every single niche of the market with a million different phones. But a large-screen phone and a small-screen phone, and one premium and one mid-tier model of each, should be available at all times. 

HOWEVER, I am still of the opinion that large-screen phones are ridiculous-looking, inelegant devices that are too large to function as effective/convenient phones and too small to be effective as tablets, and I have a very difficult time seeing myself owning one. That is my opinion. I am entitled to it. But it's only my opinion, and has no impact on whether or not a large-screen phone is the best device for you in your life. I am mocking the device, which I see as straddling the border into Tim Cook's fabled refrigerator-toaster territory. But I am not mocking you for wanting one, nor would I begrudge you getting one.

But calm down and don't take it personally. Geez.

post #104 of 137

Fingers crossed for LQMT.

I've been a patient (and thus far, disappointed) shareholder! :D

post #105 of 137
Dude, go to Wikipedia and read what liquid metal is. There's no need for plastic or any other material for antennas.

That’s true… depending on the alloy. Different alloys are attuned to different frequencies.

post #106 of 137
Quote:

HOWEVER, I am still of the opinion that large-screen phones are ridiculous-looking, inelegant devices that are too large to function as effective/convenient phones and too small to be effective as tablets, and I have a very difficult time seeing myself owning one. That is my opinion. I am entitled to it. But it's only my opinion

Your opinion is shared by many, including me.
post #107 of 137
Quote:

Your opinion is shared by many, including me.

However, the opposite is also true for many millions.

That's why it is insanely stupid to not make 2 different lines (screen size being the difference and maybe with the extra room they can give more room to the SOC (higher frequency) and a bigger battery), or being against the idea. It happens on every category (tablets, PCs, TVs). Let's not be annoyingly stubborn and blind to the mighty Apple (that also makes mistakes).

There's an whole half of the premium segment that it's not being addressed. That's the difference between growing net profits and 0 growth.

Agree?

post #108 of 137
Quote:

However, the opposite is also true for many millions.
That's why it is insanely stupid to not make 2 different lines (screen size being the difference and maybe with the extra room they can give more room to the SOC (higher frequency) and a bigger battery), or being against the idea. It happens on every category (tablets, PCs, TVs). Let's not be annoyingly stubborn and blind to the mighty Apple (that also makes mistakes).

There's an whole half of the premium segment that it's not being addressed. That's the difference between growing net profits and 0 growth.

Agree?

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd sell a ton of larger display iPhones if they'd make them. But I think there is something holding them back for a reason. Tim already said so, but without giving away any details. Maybe they would like an extra column with app icons, but don't want yet another big change for developers. Or perhaps they don't see any benefit to a larger display if all it does is scale up the screen.

Just look at the discontinuation of the 17" MBP; they released a screen with even more pixels in a smaller FF. This is what Apple is all about (well, not 'all', you know what I mean): they understand peoples wishes for the continuation of the 17" because people want to make use of the large display, having many pallets next you their main window or whatever. Yet they look at the 'problem' differently; they think that if they can still give users all the pixels they want / need, a smaller FF is better than a larger one. To which I agree; the screen on the rMBP is simply a better product than the older 17" screen.

As far as iPhones go, a larger display will sell. If their unit share sales will decline, people not buying an iPhone + iPad (mini?) but now a larger iPhone is uncertain. I simply can't make any educated guess here, as I'm not educated on the subject, merely posting my rambling.
post #109 of 137
Quote:

But calm down and don't take it personally. Geez.

Stupid text-based medium. You couldn't see the smart-assed smirk on my face as I wrote. No offence taken. Just jabbing back.

We good?

post #110 of 137
Quote:

Stupid text-based medium. You couldn't see the smart-assed smirk on my face as I wrote. No offence taken. Just jabbing back.

We good?

Okay. :lol: We're cool.

And I wasn't kidding when I say I agree that Apple needs to diversify the iPhone a little more.

post #111 of 137
Quote:

Just look at the discontinuation of the 17" MBP; they released a screen with even more pixels in a smaller FF. This is what Apple is all about (well, not 'all', you know what I mean): they understand peoples wishes for the continuation of the 17" because people want to make use of the large display, having many pallets next you their main window or whatever. Yet they look at the 'problem' differently; they think that if they can still give users all the pixels they want / need, a smaller FF is better than a larger one. To which I agree; the screen on the rMBP is simply a better product than the older 17" screen.

No, the higher density of the Retina does not address the size issue at all. The Retina display has more pixels, but they don't do me any good from a real-estate point of view. You don't get any more windows or palettes on the screen than you would with a non-Retina 15". The Retina is equivalent to the old 1440 15", just sharper. One can scale it to different resolutions, but that just results in text that's too small to read and blurrier than a non-Retina display.

The bottom line is that a 15" Retina is not a particularly good substitute for a 17" screen. That doesn't mean Apple is bad for discontinuing it, just that it is now a vacant category. It is not filled in with the rMBP.

post #112 of 137
Quote:

his renders look too much like Samsung Galaxy devices. And i agree that hell will have frozen over if Apple uses asymmetrical bezels in the next iPhone.

I've been discovered?

post #113 of 137

I would be stunned if the next iPhone will look this ugly. It looks like a bad attempt to respond to demand for bigger screen without throughout redesign the chassis and that I call LAZY design.

As you knew, Apple mentioned in the design patents against Samsung during the law suit that iPhone design has symmetrical screen spaced proportionally between top and the bottom. This purported iPhone 6 has screen shifted to the top to accommodate the extra screen estate which doesn't align with Apple design concept. So, I call this BS. Please give me a more realistically purported iPhone 6 pictures.

post #114 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I would be stunned if the next iPhone will look this ugly. It looks like a bad attempt to respond to demand for bigger screen without throughout redesign the chassis and that I call LAZY design.
As you knew, Apple mentioned in the design patents against Samsung during the law suit that iPhone design has symmetrical screen spaced proportionally between top and the bottom. This purported iPhone 6 has screen shifted to the top to accommodate the extra screen estate which doesn't align with Apple design concept. So, I call this BS. Please give me a more realistically purported iPhone 6 pictures.
I agree that the screen and asymmetrical bezels don't look right, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "throughout redesign the chassis". If the the new iPhone takes design cues from the iPod touch/iPad do you consider that lazy design?
post #115 of 137
Quote:

I agree that the screen and asymmetrical bezels don't look right, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "throughout redesign the chassis". If the the new iPhone takes design cues from the iPod touch/iPad do you consider that lazy design?

When I said lazy, I meant they used the same design in iPhone 5/5s and shift the screen up to make it bigger. That looks like the bandage design to respond to the demand, not thoroughly thought out. I know people will say about 4/4s to 5/5s designs...That's totally acceptable because the screen aspect changed, chassis changed and BOM also changed.

post #116 of 137
Quote:

Dear Apple:

Please hire Martin Hajek to design the next iPhone. His vision of what it could be looks awesome.

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

V5V

Dear Apple:

Please don't do that.  We need a real phone with real functionality, not a pipe dream that leaves the phone useless.  Please remember antennagate.

Sincerely,

zeromeus.

post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

It looks legitimate to me, at least for a design model. Especially after seeing it's dimensions overlaid with an iPhone 5S:

Some points:

Sunny Dickson has a recent track record

Component quality, fit and finish is similar to other Apple device leaks

The design improves significantly on the current model without introducing many tradeoffs (except for a small increase in height).

Maintaining the same width as the iPhone 5S avoids the main drawback of larger-screened phones.

Addressing screen size gives them another reason to revisiting pixel density. 1080p (FULL HD) or higher is a big marketing point. Only slightly higher and you're at 1280-by-2272 which would allow seamless support for legacy software similar to the transition from iPhone 4 > 4S.

Display allows exactly enough room for an additional (7th) row of application icons.

Really? What about symmetrical concept that Apple always followed? Do you think Apple needs big marketing point by adding useless pixels of 1080p which adds zero benefit but drain more battery. When did Apple ever do that? Apple paid developer to create apps compatible with new screen resolution, so they don't care about legacy software transition (4/4s - 5/5s is an example). I don't believe Apple will ever go beyond retina display, so my prediction is 4.5" for the next iPhone with 720p resolution or 326 dpi. Even if they go for 4.7/4.8" screen, it won't be more than 768 x 1366 which is still 326 dpi.

Edited by fallenjt - 2/13/14 at 4:12pm
post #118 of 137
Quote:

thoughtful design.

post #119 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

thoughtful design.
Example?
post #120 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

When I said lazy, I meant they used the same design in iPhone 5/5s and shift the screen up to make it bigger. That looks like the bandage design to respond to the demand, not thoroughly thought out. I know people will say about 4/4s to 5/5s designs...That's totally acceptable because the screen aspect changed, chassis changed and BOM also changed.
Who said Apple was using the same design as 5/5S? And what would you consider a thoroughly thought out design?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Highly suspect photos claim to show 'iPhone 6' chassis [u x2]