or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone upgraders leave nearly $13.5B in old hardware to collect dust

iPhone upgraders leave nearly $13.5B in old hardware to collect dust - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Then you BOTH missed the point of his post.
but how about we return to the original topic of the thread about people loving their devices so much that they regularly continue to use them?

Lovely, more irony from you GTR about missing the point.

The point of the article is about how much hardware isn't used but left to collect dust.

Pooch was pointing out how his experience is counter to the article's findings.

So, spare us your sanctimonious lectures about being civil, on topic and being anally-retentive.

post #42 of 79

One of the reasons for hoarding old iPhones could be the relatively low prices offered by the "buyback" companies.

The Apple approved reuse and recycling programme in the UK offers £27 for a pristine 32GB iPhone 3GS.

It's a struggle to buy any new phone with the features of even the old 3GS for £27.

Therefore if there's any chance of needing a spare handset, e.g. when travelling, it makes more sense to retain the iPhone than purchase a basic phone at a higher price.

post #43 of 79
I keep every iPhone model since 3GS but that is not mean they are collecting dust. They are being put on my bookcase 1smile.gif people collect all kind of things this is how economy keep on going.

There are trillion dollars worth of oil painting collecting dust everywhere, why not write about that?
post #44 of 79

We still have our old iPhones lying around, but in our case you can blame the @#$% carriers!

It occurred to me that an old iPhone would make a perfectly good iPod for my grandson and another could find renewed life as a point-and-shoot camera, but we'd have to pay the carrier $75 each to unlock them!

How the hell legislators continue to allow carriers to lock a device that belongs to the user completely mystifies me.

post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

As much as I like the 4S for its glassy solidity, I also look forward to a time when I can snap up a 5s cheap, mostly because of the camera, but also because of its weight and thinness. Minimum mass needed to get the job done is always the best engineering principle.

I had the 4s in fact still do as an iPod, and now my wife's cast off 5 as I got her the 5s for Christmas. I think it is the weight of the 4s I liked and that's what gives that feeling of solidity. The 5 seems too light in a strange way. Maybe it's a 'man' thing. 1wink.gif
Edited by digitalclips - 2/13/14 at 6:15am
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

We still have our old iPhones lying around, but in our case you can blame the @#$% carriers!

It occurred to me that an old iPhone would make a perfectly good iPod for my grandson and another could find renewed life as a point-and-shoot camera, but we'd have to pay the carrier $75 each to unlock them!

How the hell legislators continue to allow carriers to lock a device that belongs to the user completely mystifies me.

That's not true. Unlocking or giving them a new SIM card is not required if you don't wish to use them as cellular phones. The carriers you spoke to should have explained this.

You don't need cellular to have a perfectly good Wi-Fi enabled iPhone act as a perfectly good iPod. Just switch off cellular and you are good to go. I have every model iPhone since day one all working as Wi-Fi enabled iPods. Just realize they can't make calls! BUT ... they can use Face Time, access iTunes Match, the App Store, receive Mail, surf the web, use Maps... need I go on? You just need a Wi-Fi connection.

Edit: Ok, really old iPhones have a limited use since they can't run newer versions of iOS and hence iCloud features but they can do many things.
Edited by digitalclips - 2/13/14 at 6:30am
post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

I keep every iPhone model since 3GS but that is not mean they are collecting dust. They are being put on my bookcase 1smile.gif people collect all kind of things this is how economy keep on going.

There are trillion dollars worth of oil painting collecting dust everywhere, why not write about that?

LOL, so true, try charging up an old oil painting and using it by the pool to listen to iTunes Match!
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I had the 4s in fact still do as an iPod, and now my wife's cast off 5 as I got her the 5s for Christmas. I think it is the weight of the 4s I liked and that's what gives that feeling of solidity. The 5 seems too light in a strange way. Maybe it's a 'man' thing. 1wink.gif

Hey, watch it buddy. 1wink.gif

Actually, I haven't lived with one of those light 5-type phones, so I can't really compare. But the lighter-is-better idea also applies to the use of the phone as a camera. You can do some interesting video when you can put the acquisition device in strange places, like at the end of a long stick looking at the entrance of a wild bee nest, that sort of thing.
post #49 of 79

Wait, so planned obsolescence is wasteful somehow? Get. Out.

post #50 of 79
A spare device may cost less than Applecare.
post #51 of 79
Quote:

That's not true. Unlocking or giving them a new SIM card is not required if you don't wish to use them as cellular phones.

I don't remember the exact message anymore, but I when I powered it up all I could get was a screen telling me "It ain't gonna work without a SIM." 3G non-S.

post #52 of 79
I use my old 4S as a bike computer. GPS app pre downloads the maps via wifi. Front facing camera and mic don't work (washing machine... Do'h!) Works great though! Also, I can use to call if I have an emergency... even without a plan 1smile.gif
Perfect!
KRR
post #53 of 79

I gave my 3GS to my dad years ago, and he uses it to listen to podcasts.  After that, though, I sell each version to Gazelle, to fund my (now) yearly upgrade.

post #54 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Wait, so planned obsolescence is wasteful somehow? Get. Out.

What Apple does is not planned obsolescence. You can't float that idea here. Go over to MacRumors if that's how you want to make noise.
post #55 of 79
Quote:

What Apple does is not planned obsolescence. You can't float that idea here. Go over to MacRumors if that's how you want to make noise.

You're acting like 'planned obsolescence' is bad. I'd much rather know how long I can expect a device to receive updates and be supported than to be caught off guard.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #56 of 79
Quote:

Have you tried an iPhone 4 running iOS 7? See any downgrade path, or have those users been intentionally trapped by an upgrade path?

post #57 of 79

Have you tried an iPhone 4 running iOS 7? See any downgrade path, or have those users been intentionally trapped by an upgrade path?

And that’s anything but the opposite of planned obsolescence… how?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And that’s anything but the opposite of planned obsolescence… how?

Systemic obsolescence

"Planned systemic obsolescence is the deliberate attempt to make a product obsolete by altering the system in which it is used in such a way as to make its continued use difficult"

post #59 of 79
Systemic obsolescence

"Planned systemic obsolescence is the deliberate attempt to make a product obsolete by altering the system in which it is used in such a way as to make its continued use difficult"

YEAH. That sure fits the bill¡

And YEAH. You sure were forced to update¡

post #60 of 79
I know a guy that buys gadgets as they come out, always superseding one with the next, who ends up with piles of gadgets hanging around his living space.

I'm not remotely like that. I have no disposable income, so the only things that are disposable to me are tissues and toilet paper. I use things till they're unusable, recycle every material I can separate, and even take my electronics to electronics recyclers.
post #61 of 79
Planned obsolescence and systemic obsolescence are pretty much the same thing in the electronics world. There are pros and cons to making things not be backwards compatible, but it's definitely an environmental negative.
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

I know a guy that buys gadgets as they come out, always superseding one with the next, who ends up with piles of gadgets hanging around his living space.

I'm not remotely like that. I have no disposable income, so the only things that are disposable to me are tissues and toilet paper. I use things till they're unusable, recycle every material I can separate, and even take my electronics to electronics recyclers.

As I've said many times here, when I upgraded from the 5 to the 5S, for instance, Gazelle gave me $30 more for my 5 than I paid for it.  I was able to upgrade not only to the 5S, but also double storage from 32GB to 64GB for a grand total of $69.

If I would have stuck with 32GB, I would have actually MADE money in the transaction.  Well, that's not 100% true, since ATT charges you $35 (I think that's what it currently is) to upgrade early.  Essentially, it would have cost me nothing.

That's really the only reason I upgrade every year now.  It's more or less free, and I get a new phone! :)

post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And YEAH. You sure were forced to update¡

True, but there wasn't any indication given that it would significantly affect device performance either. One can't be said to have made ones' own bed by choosing to upgrade when one doesn't have the information necessary to make an informed choice.

Personally, I'm glad Apple afforded me the opportunity to find out for myself whether or not I like the new software on my old device. I just wish they had also given me the option to back out of it if I didn't.

FWIW, some of the performance hit I suffered after installing iOS7 has been remedied by wiping the phone and reinstalling everything from scratch. That was time consuming and a nuisance, but it did help.

post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Quote:

Guility as charged. I have every iPod, every iPhone and every iPad and many, many Macs in a cupboard. I am a incurable Appleholic.

This is the only thread where we can boast of how many Apple products we have and not be called trolls!

So here goes:

iPod 3rd Gen

iPod Photo

iMac 27" late-2009

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

iPhone 5

iPhone 5s

MacBook Pro 15" early-2011

Mac Mini 2006

2 Mac Minis 2013

MacBook Air 2012

Apple TV

iPad

iPad 2

iPad 3rd Gen.

iPad 4th Gen.

iPad Air

iPad Mini

Of course, not all of them are in use!!

No Macro?
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're acting like 'planned obsolescence' is bad. I'd much rather know how long I can expect a device to receive updates and be supported than to be caught off guard.

Yes, Virginia, planned obsolesence is bad. It means things wear out too soon or are changed only to make them look new and the old look old. Naughty capitalism.

Technical progress is good, and it is inevitable and predictable. Change not for the sake of change, but because things can be made better. Leads to natural, unavoidable obsolescence.
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

No Macro?

Guess you meant Mac Pro? No, I don't have one yet. The bank heist didn't work out...

post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My 3G and 4 are permenanrly plugged into cars as iPods, my 5, I gave to my wife, I use a 5s, my kids use my old Galaxy Nexus, a Nexus 4 and my Galaxy S4 is a spare.

That is child abuse; seriously. (No fun to be made about matters like that.)
Children are supposed to be our future - and onto yours you bestow your dark Android past?

No offense; but if you and your wife are on iOS - why are you fragmenting you family like that? How about FaceTime, or Find my Friends?
And if your kids are little and you think they wouldn't mind the difference or not appreciate an iPhone, even worse: Formative years don't make negative experiences any less bad. Quite the contrary.

If you can get a 5C for the subsidized price on your family plan, it's a no-brainer. I am in Europe and have to pay full retail; which including VAT is $821 for a 16GB iPhone 5C - and even then it is a no-brainer to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Older than that have been sent to India and Fiji via various contacts.

For that, I applaud you. 1smile.gif
post #68 of 79
Quote:

So no rebuttal. Good to know.

Tallest Skil is on to something here.

If you're subscribing to Katherine Rampell's view, she of the NY Times, that Apple deliberately cripples their older devices with their software updates so that you'll buy a new device, then I won't have much to say to you. The idea is absurd on its face, was widely howled at when it was published (see for example Gruber on the subject), and I have to say only attractive to someone with the sort of simple mind as Ms. Rampell exhibits.

You want to think like that, go ahead on.
post #69 of 79
Quote:

If you're subscribing to Katherine Rampell's view, she of the NY Times, that Apple deliberately cripples their older devices with their software updates so that you'll buy a new device, then I won't have much to say to you. The idea is absurd on its face, was widely howled at when it was published (see for example Gruber on the subject), and I have to say only attractive to someone with the sort of simple mind as Ms. Rampell exhibits.

You want to think like that, go ahead on.

This isn't about Apple, at all. Do you deny that the tech industry thrives on replacing devices that are fully functional if not for software? People replacing working devices is part of the plan for the industry. That's planned obsolescence. Period. I also happen to not mind it, being the well-funded consumer I am.

My initial point was that this high tech plan of replacing obsolete devices is materially wasteful, and that should be obvious. Then I get a couple zealots wearing blinders trying to dismiss statements that are indisputable with arguments that don't apply to the issue.

"You're wrong because I don't like a New York Times story that has nothing to do with your point." Good one.

post #70 of 79
Quote:

This isn't about Apple, at all. Do you deny that the tech industry thrives on replacing devices that are fully functional if not for software? People replacing working devices is part of the plan for the industry. That's planned obsolescence. Period. I also happen to not mind it, being the well-funded consumer I am.

My initial point was that this high tech plan of replacing obsolete devices is materially wasteful, and that should be obvious. Then I get a couple zealots wearing blinders trying to dismiss statements that are indisputable with arguments that don't apply to the issue.

"You're wrong because I don't like a New York Times story that has nothing to do with your point." Good one.

So, you're point is?

post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

So, you're point is?

My are point?

post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And then there are people that choose to keep them to reminisce. I have all of my old phones back to my Motorola RAZR and I power it up now and then.

Please don't mention Motorola in this thread; many thanks.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #73 of 79
Quote:

My are point?

My are point?  

Umm ....

post #74 of 79
Quote:

I don't deny that some of the tech industry is careless about the longevity, durability, sustained usability of their products.

I do assert that one of Apple's goals is to make their devices as durable as is reasonable for an expensive consumer device, and to sustain them with the best possible software within the limitations of the device.

My original iPad still works well after three years and thousands of hours, but is not eligible for iOS 6, wisely, since it is already RAM-challenged by present-day Web practice.

On the other hand, Apple overreaches and makes mistakes, in my opinion, and so I would never have bothered putting iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 or even on my 4S, which is still using iOS 6. The owner has some responsibility to curate the old technology. I mention this as someone who still uses a 1971 VW Bug as a daily driver.

VW is no longer the company it was once, dedicated to planned sustainability instead of obsolescence. They made the same car for 35 years. Now they don't or can't care so much. Companies are different, companies change.

Apple is dedicated to different goals than other consumer electronics companies. Relevant here is their goal to provide maximum delight and amazement over the lifetime of the device, so the longer the lifetime the better. I can't make you believe this, and if you don't see it plainly before your very eyes, then there's nothing more to discuss. And I am not a zealot. This stuff is obvious.

Edit: And you're right. Planned obsolescence is wasteful. I have hated it since it was perfected in the 1950s. I was there and saw it at work. Now Detroit is living out the consequences. Fools blame the Unions, I blame planned obsolescence and its wasteful spawn, the SUV.
Edited by Flaneur - 2/14/14 at 9:52am
post #75 of 79
Quote:

I don't deny that some of the tech industry is careless about the longevity, durability, sustained usability of their products.

I do assert that one of Apple's goals is to make their devices as durable as is reasonable for an expensive consumer device, and to sustain them with the best possible software within the limitations of the device.

My original iPad still works well after three years and thousands of hours, but is not eligible for iOS 6, wisely, since it is already RAM-challenged by present-day Web practice.

On the other hand, Apple overreaches and makes mistakes, in my opinion, and so I would never have bothered putting iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 or even on my 4S, which is still using iOS 6. The owner has some responsibility to curate the old technology. I mention this as someone who still uses a 1971 VW Bug as a daily driver.

VW is no longer the company it was once, dedicated to planned sustainability instead of obsolescence. They made the same car for 35 years. Now they don't or can't care so much. Companies are different, companies change.

Apple is dedicated to different goals than other consumer electronics companies. Relevant here is their goal to provide maximum delight and amazement over the lifetime of the device, so the longer the lifetime the better. I can't make you believe this, and if you don't see it plainly before your very eyes, then there's nothing more to discuss. And I am not a zealot. This stuff is obvious.

Edit: And you're right. Planned obsolescence is wasteful. I have hated it since it was perfected in the 1950s. I was there and saw it at work. Now Detroit is living out the consequences. Fools blame the Unions, I blame planned obsolescence and its wasteful spawn, the SUV.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. My original point is that it should be no surprise that there are drawers full of no-longer used, but otherwise functional iPhones, Androids, Razors, etc. etc. all around the developed world, and that is part of the plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

My are point?  

Umm ....

You said (expanding the contraction): "And you are point is?" And at this point, my point is trolling you b/c you have no argument.

post #76 of 79
Quote:

On the other hand, Apple overreaches and makes mistakes, in my opinion, and so I would never have bothered putting iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 or even on my 4S, which is still using iOS 6. The owner has some responsibility to curate the old technology.

My wife said I shouldn't upgrade and I responded that Apple has always restricted updates to only devices that can manage them, so if my device is on the "eligible" list I have nothing to worry about. I think this is the first time that hasn't been completely true, so THIS time I hold Apple responsible. NEXT time it's on me. Fool me once, etc. :)

I like the idea that Apple let me decide whether or not the new features are worth the trade-off in performance though. I hope that policy continues, just with the added component of a back-out procedure for those who decide it's not a good fit.

post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

My wife said I shouldn't upgrade and I responded that Apple has always restricted updates to only devices that can manage them, so if my device is on the "eligible" list I have nothing to worry about. I think this is the first time that hasn't been completely true, so THIS time I hold Apple responsible. NEXT time it's on me. Fool me once, etc. 1smile.gif

I like the idea that Apple let me decide whether or not the new features are worth the trade-off in performance though. I hope that policy continues, just with the added component of a back-out procedure for those who decide it's not a good fit.

And the ability to delete the unasked-for download taking up space in my 4s's memory that I never installed, and probably never will.
post #78 of 79
Quote:

You said (expanding the contraction): "And you are point is?" And at this point, my point is trolling you b/c you have no argument.

I'm trolling?  Really?  Wow.

post #79 of 79
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I'm trolling?  Really?  Wow.

Surprisingly, he said, “my point is trolling you,” which is apropos for every ‘point’ he has ever made, really. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone upgraders leave nearly $13.5B in old hardware to collect dust