or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Comcast to purchase Time Warner Cable, future Apple TV partnership uncertain

Comcast to purchase Time Warner Cable, future Apple TV partnership uncertain - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Apple should bid for TWC.

IMO, Apple should should make a bid for TWX. ;)

$65 billion +/- should take it.

How to pay for it? Float a "small" bond offering, cut the dividend and cut back on the share repurchase - all for just a brief time. Cousin Carl will have a nervous breakdown. I don't get an XFR. And Tim Cook forgoes his bonus. But that's my idea of shared suffering for the greater good.

But however it plays out, if it comes to light that Cook has let the ball go over the middle of plate while he was staring into the distance, I will have lost what little, remaining faith I have in this guy.

If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
post #82 of 91
Why can't Apple make deals with the content providers directly? Google has done it with Google Fiber
post #83 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Lol, that same thinking is why Apple's competition keeps chasing their own tails. The idea is look to the future, not rehash something already capable. Using your words, let's think _hard_ about a few steps further: set top box... Wires... Now, I'll stop right there because that's all one really needs to consider in this case. Apple doesn't want a set top box nor wires anymore. They're already obsessed with Bluetooth and soon conductive charging. The content deals that are struck with TW & Comcast are too fragile to bet on if you've been paying attention to the last few years. This only makes sense if you're an analyst trying to get a "makes sense" rumor started. But it doesn't truly coincide with Apple's philosophy IMO.

I love the way you guys start off with such promise ( You know Apples plans!!) and then you end up with half baked bollocks which isn't really related to the discussion about content. Bluetooth. A wireless technology designed for low bandwidth and close proximity. That's going to replace cables and HDMI? Why? Apple TV's can airplay already. And not only, in general, can far more information be sent over a physical wire but it's much much less subject to interference. There will be wires. The interesting questions are about content, app stores, hardware and price.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #84 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Why can't Apple make deals with the content providers directly? Google has done it with Google Fiber

Google is building a network, Apple isn't.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #85 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Google is building a network, Apple isn't.

why could they not just do it on an internet?

post #86 of 91
Here it is Apple. Instead of dividends, why not invest those billions into bringing Internet to everyone?

Heck, be your own carrier.
post #87 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Here it is Apple. Instead of dividends, why not invest those billions into bringing Internet to everyone?

Heck, be your own carrier.

Not the kind of business they want to be in, evidently (and who could blame them).
Edited by SpamSandwich - 2/14/14 at 9:29am

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why could they not just do it on an internet?

ISPs which in many cases is the cable company won't allow it. I'll use this example again, would you build an apartment complex and allow someone else to rent out those apartments and collect the rent and expect you to pay for the upkeep and any repairs? No you wouldn't so why are you expecting the cable companies to allow essentially the same?

Google circumvented the cable companies by building their own network. The agreements Google has only benefit those on it's network, not everyone using a Google TV outside of it.
post #89 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not the kind of business they want to bi in, evidently (and who could blame them).

Funny how one race to the bottom gets ridiculed and another one gets applauded.
post #90 of 91
What we really need is more competition in devices connected to cable -- it needs to become more like cellular is with many different companies, operating systems and devices with various features. This will be mature when you can have a device like Apple TV be a complete replacement for a cable company provided set top box. A precursor to making this all happen efficiently is a wholesale transition to all IP by the cable companies...

Cable companies, much like cellular companies, should be more of the "dumb pipes", as opposed to providers of content. But who am I to say how they should run their companies?! 1wink.gif
post #91 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What we really need is more competition in devices connected to cable -- it needs to become more like cellular is with many different companies, operating systems and devices with various features. This will be mature when you can have a device like Apple TV be a complete replacement for a cable company provided set top box. A precursor to making this all happen efficiently is a wholesale transition to all IP by the cable companies...

Cable companies, much like cellular companies, should be more of the "dumb pipes", as opposed to providers of content. But who am I to say how they should run their companies?! 1wink.gif

You can't compare cellular to cable, every cell company built their network by leasing lines from the local telecom. Unless forced by the government cable companies are not going to allow another company onto their network.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Comcast to purchase Time Warner Cable, future Apple TV partnership uncertain