or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple hires yet another medical sensor expert as 'iWatch' hype grows

Apple hires yet another medical sensor expert as 'iWatch' hype grows

post #1 of 50
Apple continues to bolster its team by hiring medical sensor experts, with the latest grab being former chief technology officer of a company that specialized in noninvasive monitoring technologies -- yet another hire that will help fuel speculation that the company is working on a so-called "iWatch" with biometric sensing capabilities.

Hire
The Masimo rainbow fingerprint sensor. Photo via Wikipedia.

Marcelo Malini Lamego, a Stanford University graduate, was CTO of Cercacor for 8 years, until this January when he began working on a research and development team at Apple, according to his LinkedIn page. The new Apple hire was first discovered by NetworkWorld on Thursday.

Lamego is credited with more than 70 patent applications and granted patents related to a number of categories, including sensors and patient monitoring technologies. His profile also notes that he's authored more than 30 peer-reviewed articles relating to topics such as neural networks, power electronics, and adaptive systems.

In particular, Lamego was the lead scientist developing Masimo's "Rainbow Technology" platform, which is a noninvasive monitoring tool that assesses "multiple blood constituents and physiologic parameters that previously required invasive or complicated procedures."

When placed on a user's fingertip, the Masimo Rainbow can measure total hemoglobin, oxygen content, carboxyhemoglobin, methemoglobin, and much more. It uses more than seven wavelengths of light to acquire blood constituent data based on light absorption.

Lamego isn't the first hire related to Masimo, either. That company's former chief medical officer and executive vice president of medical affairs, Michael O'Reilly, was recently added to Apple's payroll.

Hire
"iWatch" concept render by Martin Hajek.

The latest hiring is of particular interest because Apple is rumored to be working on a new wrist-worn accessory that would allow users to easily track fitness and health data. It's expected to be a peripheral that would connect to Apple's existing ecosystem of devices, and potentially utilize a dedicated iPhone application for user feedback.

Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities was first to report last May that Apple's so-called "iWatch" would focus on biometric feedback and deep integration with existing iOS devices. He also believes the device will sport a "secure user identification mechanism."

Apple has been on something of a hiring spree lately with talent related to fitness and health. Those new personnel have only helped to fuel the growing "iWatch" speculation through the start of 2014.
post #2 of 50
I'm waiting for the rumor that it isn't iWatch they are working on, rather iDoctor! 1biggrin.gif
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm waiting for the rumor that it isn't iWatch they are working on, rather iDoctor! 1biggrin.gif

Pretty much one and the same, me thinks. or maybe iNurse? iCoach? iMum. or all of the above.

post #4 of 50
Samsung will launch iHospital soon
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

When your iWatch tells you to "Turn your head and cough" - you'll be using the iHernia app! 1biggrin.gif

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Pretty much one and the same, me thinks. or maybe iNurse? iCoach? iMum. or all of the above.

Funny! :)

I don't know what the name of the watch will be...but I think Apple will make the SW part of the iLife suite and not just a lot of single use little apps....which btw can be a little tedious. 

E.g. To go running, I have to check the weather app, open the flash light app (Apple's flashlight doesn't blink) open the podcast app, open the Nike running app and set for a run, open heart rate app to check heart rate. I know it's a first world problem but only Apple can fix it! :)

Best.

post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Re my iDoctor Post: Sorry I should have expressed my thoughts more clearly, I was (comically I should add) mentally imagining a robot from Apple with the voice of Siri ... as a complete shocker to Wall Street 1biggrin.gif (must be all the Google /Boston Dynamics/Cylon stuff going round in my head).
post #8 of 50
". . . as iWatch hype grows."

AI, this is an abuse of the word "hype." Unless you're referring to your own hype, which is possible I suppose.

The word always implies that someone, usually the source, is inflating news of the product or event or whatever.

Apple is not hyping the rumored iWatch.

You've been advised about this misuse before.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

AI, this is an abuse of the word "hype." Unless you're referring to your own hype, which is possible I suppose.

The word always implies that someone, usually the source, is inflating news of the product or event or whatever.

To me 'Hype' is a cute Application for generating HTML5 ... 1wink.gif
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hire
The Masimo rainbow fingerprint sensor. Photo via Wikipedia.

Fingerprint sensor?  Why would a hospital monitor the patient's fingerprints?  Do they have some relationship to overall health?  Will this replace the fingerprint sensor in future iPhones?
post #11 of 50
Wow, really, I'm so disturbed by that bad iPhone 6 design that a real iWatch news is what I need to feel better.
post #12 of 50
Quote:

I think they meant hype as in excitement for the product...?
post #13 of 50

I heard Apple employees talking about the watch at BJs in Cupertino. Its coming soon!

post #14 of 50
Meet Apple's latest hire, Leonard H. McCoy, M.D.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 50
lets not forget the purchase of primesense.. i think thet will have a lot to do with the next wave of products that we get.

IMO that new iphone design is clean and elegant.. i think its extraordinarily nice.
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Wow, really, I'm so disturbed by that bad iPhone 6 design that a real iWatch news is what I need to feel better.

What iPhone 6 design?

(Oops. Just saw the other story).

post #17 of 50
Originally Posted by appleempl View Post
I heard Apple employees talking about the watch at BJs in Cupertino. Its coming soon!

Wow, this takes me back. To the early naughties when people said this kind of crap and actually expected to be listened to.

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Meet Apple's latest hire, Leonard H. McCoy, M.D.

“He’s dead, Tim.”

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“He’s dead, Tim.”

OMG Apple might be working on The Genesis Device ....
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

To go running, I have to check the weather app, open the flash light app (Apple's flashlight doesn't blink) open the podcast app, open the Nike running app and set for a run, open heart rate app to check heart rate. I know it's a first world problem but only Apple can fix it! 1smile.gif

Best.

Wow, sounds like your iPhone does most of the running¡
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“He’s dead, Tim.”

No no, "It's life Tim, but not as we know it"
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #20 of 50
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
No no, "It's life Tim, but not as we know it"

“It’s television, Tim, but not as we know it.”

post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I think they meant hype as in excitement for the product...?

Yeah, they do, but that's an abuse of the word, a watering down. It originally meant fake excitement generated by PR or advertising. We still need that word, more than ever, in fact.

Using hype to mean genuine excitement pulls the teeth out of the word. Typical of these shallow times. Not speaking of you, of course, but of those who use words to make a living.
post #22 of 50

I find it interesting that all of the uses are medical or physical activities.  How about having the iWatch check your blood alcohol level and telling your car not to start. 

post #23 of 50

Puh-leeez stop posting mock-ups and artist's renditions.

It's not news. It's not part of the news. It comes from a different, unrelated source. At best it is a misleading waste of time and space.

post #24 of 50

Wow. Apple is been adding people with some serious credentials in medical monitoring to their team. Obviously Apple is working on something, but like the Authentec purchase we won't see how they integrate the technology until they decide to announce a product that uses it.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #25 of 50
Quote:

I don't know what the name of the watch will be...but I think Apple will make the SW part of the iLife suite and not just a lot of single use little apps....which btw can be a little tedious. 

E.g. To go running, I have to check the weather app, open the flash light app (Apple's flashlight doesn't blink) open the podcast app, open the Nike running app and set for a run, open heart rate app to check heart rate. I know it's a first world problem but only Apple can fix it! 1smile.gif

Best.

Why do you need a flashlight to run? Are you running at night?
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post

Why do you need a flashlight to run? Are you running at night?

Yep, not always. But to get a run in, sometimes have to get up early or go out late....Try to run trails, mostly. No cars or fumes. But when on the road like to have light blinking all the time. 

Best.

Edited by christopher126 - 2/13/14 at 9:45am
post #27 of 50
Quote:

Wow, sounds like your iPhone does most of the running¡

Haha, Phil! :)

18 mile run end Jan., Bro! 

post #28 of 50
Quote:

18 mile run end Jan., Bro! 

Luv' that Nike+ app. I presume all with a low HR (which is a different kind of 'running' altogether). Props 2 U

Happy trails Christopher
post #29 of 50
Quote:

Luv' that Nike+ app. I presume all with a low HR (which is a different kind of 'running' altogether). Props 2 U

Happy trails Christopher

Exactly, Phil. Using the "180 rule." 

180-age = Zone 2 (Fat burning zone) Heart Rate number.

When first started in Oct. last year, Zone 2 meant 17'-18'/mile. Pretty damn slow.

But in ~3 mo's shaved off 5'/mile and still at Zone 2 HR.

Goal is 9'/mile-probably a year away.

The thing I like about it is no "bonking" (low blood sugar), no injuries, quicker recovery-which means more days to run. 

Anyway, thx for the compliment/encouragement, Phil.

Best Regards.

Edited by christopher126 - 2/13/14 at 10:19am
post #30 of 50
Quote:

^ post

You're doing it the sensible way. I'm just running off like I'm running away from something. Or someone. Anyway, not good. I did get injured at the beginning, because I was liking it so much (the running) that I didn't mind it so much (the injuries).

I know better now: I do short (<10km) runs one day and the next day a longer run. Not necessarily running every day. I also have some cycling and swimming to do. The swimming part is laying dormant, which is not good. I really need guidance on that matter.

Gees, a total OT post. Hmm, I know: why doesn't Apple hire some more medical experts to we can monitor our heath easier and more precise? Ah. they are? Pfew, OT again!
post #31 of 50

9to5Mac likes to delete my comments that lambast this ridiculous over-emphasis on a "fitness focus" for the iWatch.

They don't seem to understand that nothing could be less interesting of an initiative from Apple. I give them credit for wanting to do some good in the world, but people do not look to Apple to improve their fitness any more than their education.

post #32 of 50
Quote:

Yeah, they do, but that's an abuse of the word, a watering down. It originally meant fake excitement generated by PR or advertising. We still need that word, more than ever, in fact.

Apple hasn't announced a new product category yet, which is something haters keep complaining about. The hype is generated by the rumor mill, which includes misinformation echo-chambers like this site.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Puh-leeez stop posting mock-ups and artist's renditions.

It's not news. It's not part of the news. It comes from a different, unrelated source. At best it is a misleading waste of time and space.

Every time they post Marco Arment's iPhone 6 mockup, a troll gets its wings.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 50

The caption on the top photo is incorrect. The Masimo sensor is NOT a fingerPRINT sensor. Using the company's trademarked Ranbow technology, it can measure:

> Pulse CO-Oximetry
> Total Hemoglobin (SpHb)
> Carboxyhemoglobin (SpCO)
> Methemoglobin (SpMet)
> Oxygen Content (SpOC)
> Pleth Variability Index (PVI®) - Helps clinicians assess fluid responsiveness in mechanically ventilated patients, aiding fluid management.

Most previous sensors only measured pulse and oxygen percentage. These sensors have nothing to do with fingerprints.

post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

The caption on the top photo is incorrect. The Masimo sensor is NOT a fingerPRINT sensor.

Actually it is a fingerprint sensor. It is used to identify the user as a citizen of Elysium and unlock medical care. 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 50
Quote:

You're doing it the sensible way. I'm just running off like I'm running away from something. Or someone. Anyway, not good. I did get injured at the beginning, because I was liking it so much (the running) that I didn't mind it so much (the injuries).

I know better now: I do short (<10km) runs one day and the next day a longer run. Not necessarily running every day. I also have some cycling and swimming to do. The swimming part is laying dormant, which is not good. I really need guidance on that matter.

Gees, a total OT post. Hmm, I know: why doesn't Apple hire some more medical experts to we can monitor our heath easier and more precise? Ah. they are? Pfew, OT again!

I just hope it doesn't have Siri say .. "Now, you have already had two gin and tonics, that's enough for today."
post #37 of 50

Soon they will develop a diagnostic device and call it the iProd.

post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

That's where you turn your head and cough.

post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Funny, MacTac! :)

post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

That's where you turn your head and cough.

I know KB, my proctologist has fingers like "sausages!" Ugh!

Edited by christopher126 - 2/13/14 at 4:03pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple hires yet another medical sensor expert as 'iWatch' hype grows