or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple, Inc. sold more computers than all of Microsoft's Windows PC partners in December quarter

Apple, Inc. sold more computers than all of Microsoft's Windows PC partners in December quarter

post #1 of 160
Seven years after entering the mobile computing market with iPhone, the Cupertino-based company has now reached a peak of building and selling more computers than all of Microsoft's Windows licensees put together.

As noted by leading market analyst Benedict Evans, Apple's combined production of Mac, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad devices peaked in the December quarter at a level slightly higher than all Windows PCs put together, or essentially equal with all PCs combined with all Windows Phone shipments.

Such sales volumes were unthinkable for Apple just a few years ago. While the company's Mac desktops and notebooks were growing significantly in the mid 2000s, they still remained in the realm of a million or two systems each year, in contrast to annual PC shipments well above 200 million.

Mac gets big by going small

In 2007, Apple began selling a new kind of Macintosh: a handheld device running the same core OS (it was even called "iPhone OS X" in the beginning) and using a mobile-optimized version of the Mac's NeXT-derived Cocoa app development frameworks. By the end of the year, Apple added iPod touch, it's first iPod based on Mac technology like the iPhone rather than a simple, imbedded OS.

Without phone features, iPod touch acted more like a general purpose computing system, attracting many users who were already committed to using their company's Blackberry or a simpler phone tied to a provider such as Verizon or NTT DoCoMo, and simply couldn't switch to an iPhone. That boosted the volumes of games and other app sales in the App Store, supporting iPhone growth and paving the way for a larger new table form factor.

In 2010, developers' enthusiasm surrounding Apple's rapidly expanding iOS platform was extended to iPad, which worked like a larger format iPod touch to broaden the reach and utility of Apple's platform that proved to be effortlessly easy to use, manage and deploy. iPad now enjoys a deployment rate above 91 percent in the enterprise, and is also

The most notable aspect of Apple's growth is that its Macs continue to maintain an premium Average Selling Price of $1300 and its iPhones remain above $650, in a PC market where Microsoft's PC makers struggle to find customers with PCs priced at an average of $311, and where Windows Phones sell at an ASP of just $301.

Apple flogs Android in profitability and premium sales

Apple's ability to surpass Microsoft's Windows sales volume via mobile growth can also be compared to Android. Like Windows, Google's Android platform (and the many variants of the software used by companies from Amazon to Chinese vendors unaffiliated with Google) is broadly used as an alternative to companies creating their own custom development platforms.

An an ingredient, Android lacks the platform strength of Windows, because Google is unable to exercise much control over its licensees, despite attempts to do so.

Google also earns very little from Android as a platform compared to Microsoft's Windows PC licensing, and essentially nothing compared to Apple's far more lucrative, hardware-driven profits from iOS. Samsung said it planned to ship 100 million higher-end Galaxy S and Note models within 2013; Apple sold 153.4 million iPhones alone in 2013.

Android's phone ASP has now dropped to $276 as the majority of "smartphones" using the system apply it in a feature phone role on extremely low end devices with no upgrade potential. Last year, Samsung said it planned to ship 100 million higher-end Galaxy S and Note models within 2013. Apple sold 153.4 million iPhones alone in 2013, without counting iPod touch, iPad mini or full size iPads.

Apple obviously earned more than Samsung in selling high end phones throughout 2013, but also earned far more (an order of magnitude more) on sales of Macs and iPads, a general computing market where Samsung fails to earn much money at all.

Add in every other Android maker's higher end phones and profit-to-volumes ratio falls even faster, as most Android licensees, including Google's own Motorola subsidiary, have been consistently losing money. Google's Motorola subsidiary reported losing $1.245 billion in 2013 alone, despite tech media predictions about how Moto X and its siblings would undercut Apple's iPhone and take over via volume sales to third world countries.

Particularly hysterical in retrospect is the August 2013 article by Steven Levy of Wired, which just months ago faithfully reiterated Google's talking points explaining how the phone would launch a new epoch of smartphones justifying the $12.5 billion price tag Google had paid for Motorola. Instead the device proved to be a dismal failure. Google is now spinning Motorola as "successful" divestiture.

Sales growth of smartphones and tablets is widely expected to slow in 2014, but Apple's high volume position in selling the most profitable smartphones, tablets, notebooks and desktop computers at ASPs that are two to four times as high as competing platforms means Apple has a lot more room to maneuver than its more poorly capitalized competitors who maintain far less user loyalty and satisfaction, and who lack the support of Apple's strong iTunes and App Store ecosystem.
post #2 of 160
Wait a minute. I thought Apple had a disappointing quarter. A terrible quarter. Oh, I forgot. That was what all the moronic hedge fund managers and stock analysts said. The idiots who make up their own numbers instead of focusing on what Apple actually achieved. Good for Apple. We shouldn't kill all the lawyers. We should kill all the analysts.
post #3 of 160
Not sure I'm comfortable with mobile phones being placed up against traditional PC's in this data. Adding iPads & Mac's together no problem but adding in iPhones...... You might as well start adding in my calculator wrist watch from the 80's, it's able to compute after all.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #4 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Not sure I'm comfortable with mobile phones being placed up against traditional PC's in this data. Adding iPads & Mac's together no problem but adding in iPhones...... You might as well start adding in my calculator wrist watch from the 80's, it's able to compute after all.

Phones are effectively PC's, and will more and more take over their role.

Anyhow, there's a big fat 'I told you so' to whoever I was arguing with on here when I predicted this day would come many years ago :) 

post #5 of 160
Quote:

Does your calculator from the 80s run Unix?
post #6 of 160
Totally true… So much foresight on behalf of Apple! I remember back in December 2008 when the analysts at the shareholders meeting were asking Steve Jobs why he doesn't do a netbook and he had the famous reply that Apple doesn't know how to do a laptop under $500 that's not crap, he also said something else… He said iPod touch was Apples alternative to netbooks at that date, &nobody saw it coming but iPod touch was really the computer in 2008 and precursor to the iPad behemoth
post #7 of 160
Quote:

Wha? Why not add iPhones? Whatever the iPad can do, the iPhone can do it as well
post #8 of 160
One point those pushing the idea of selling less expensive and even lower PC and smart phones don't think about is the potential for existing low-end product purchasers to migrate toward more expensive products later. This is a function of both the desire for a better quality product and of increasing affluence as consumers age and earn more.

Of course, not everyone will do that but enough will so do to enter the Apple product chain. And, when they do, history shows many will buy additional Apple products.

There will always be new low-level consumers. And there will always be new high-end and repeat purchasers looking to remain Apple loyal.
post #9 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Does your calculator from the 80s run Unix?

when did iOS become certified UNIX?
post #10 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Wha? Why not add iPhones? Whatever the iPad can do, the iPhone can do it as well

Then why make the iPad at all if it's a redundant piece of hardware?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #11 of 160
Quote:

jungmark is correct on this one. The Windows number includes worthless laptops and netbooks as well as their mobile devices that can't run anything more than what the iPhone can run. I like the comparison. To make matters worse for Microsoft, I'd like to know how many of those PCs are sitting in people's closets, store rooms, and recycling centers. Of course, Microsoft has to count all of them even if they aren't running.

post #12 of 160
Quote:

An iPhone costs as much or more than most crappy low end Windows PCs.

But I get your point. When the iPad came out people were complaining that it wasn't a real computer, but once they realized that people were buying them instead of a PC it sort of made sense. Calling an iPhone and an iPod Touch a computer it is bit of a stretch because people don't really buy iPhones and iPods instead of a computer.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #13 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I know you know the answer but I'll humor you. The iPad actually doesn't do everything the iPhone can do (no cellular calls, VoIP doesn't count) but it's larger and can be used in more ways than an iPhone. They both have their place.

post #14 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

An iPhone costs as much or more than most crappy low end Windows PCs.

But I get your point. When the iPad came out people were complaining that it wasn't a real computer, but once they realized that people were buying them instead of a PC it sort of made sense. Calling an iPhone and an iPod Touch a computer it is bit of a stretch because people don't really buy iPhones and iPods instead of a computer.

Your last statement isn't necessarily correct, at least not for everyone. My wife uses an iPad for just about everything she does. This leaves the Mac for me. :-) The iPad is a whole lot more of a computer than PCs of a few years ago. Just because it doesn't have a USB port or run Microsoft Office doesn't mean it isn't a computer. It's actually a very nice computer, a whole lot better than a lot of those garbage netbooks and ultra whatevers the PC crowd likes to try and say are computers.

post #15 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

when did iOS become certified UNIX?

Darwin is certified UNIX and iOS uses the same version of Darwin as OS X

post #16 of 160

Holy crap! Finally!

I have always maintained MS/Window claims of added productivity were always tainted due to the lost productivity of d**king around with a lame OS/SW. Ugh! :)

It's a crappy company that produces crappy products! 

Best.

post #17 of 160
Ip
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

jungmark is correct on this one. The Windows number includes worthless laptops and netbooks as well as their mobile devices that can't run anything more than what the iPhone can run. I like the comparison. To make matters worse for Microsoft, I'd like to know how many of those PCs are sitting in people's closets, store rooms, and recycling centers. Of course, Microsoft has to count all of them even if they aren't running.

iPhones and iPods are already added:

"As noted by leading market analyst Benedict Evans, Apple's combined production of Mac, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad devices peaked in the December quarter at a level slightly higher than all Windows PCs put together, or essentially equal with all PCs combined with all Windows Phone shipments."
post #18 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Darwin is certified UNIX and iOS uses the same version of Darwin as OS X

Perhaps similar, but it doesn't really matter because iOS is not certified UNIX.

You can read the dozens of requirements here:

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/testing/prodstds.htm

iOS doesn't conform to any of them.

I'm not seeing where Darwin is certified either, just Mountain Lion and Mavericks

post #19 of 160
Quote:

We are talking about a form of computing that has desktop class capabilities in terms of networking , apps , graphics and audio. iOS does have all that as it's a modern day mobile device operating system 1smile.gif.
post #20 of 160
Interesting, but I take issue with lumping in all Mac and iOS products to compare solely against windows PC's. Why not add in all windows phones and tablets sold?
post #21 of 160
Quote:

From the original article...

"A symbolic moment, this: in Q4 2013 the number of computers* sold by Apple was larger than the number of Windows PC sold globally. If you add Windows Phone to the mix they're more or less exactly equal. "

post #22 of 160

wait a minute you forgot to add in the Microsoft Surface RT and Pro to the Microsoft column.  that changes everything.     /s

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #23 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I know you know the answer but I'll humor you. The iPad actually doesn't do everything the iPhone can do (no cellular calls, VoIP doesn't count) but it's larger and can be used in more ways than an iPhone. They both have their place.

Lol yes I know the answer. I wanted to read jungmark's take on it.
post #24 of 160
Quote:

This is funny considering the iPad was dubbed just a giant iPhone (or iPod Touch) from the moment it was announced.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #25 of 160
If Steve Ballmer were still alive, he'd be screaming, sweating, and throwing chairs.
Microsoft is so much less fun without him.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #26 of 160
Good for Apple! This is a landmark achievement and a testament to Apple's quality products, business planning, and marketing strategies. Once again Apple has proved the pessimistic analysts wrong.
post #27 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is funny considering the iPad was dubbed just a giant iPhone (or iPod Touch) from the moment it was announced.

It's human nature to want to compare something different to something that's well known. People didn’t know what to make of it but the devs sure did, and with the great apps users saw that it was much more than just a big iPod/iPhone.
post #28 of 160
Another proof that Apple's stock is undervalued contrary to some analysts.
post #29 of 160

What a completely absurd and meaningless comparison.  How does it make sense to compare Apple's phones, tablets, PMPs and computers against PC sales?  If phones are now considered computers, as you seem to think, then why exclude Android phones, for example?  I know you've made this some silly Microsoft vs. Apple thing, as if we're back in the 90s, but the way you've drawn this comparison is just so arbitrary and pointless.  It's embarrassing, really.  

post #30 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Phones are effectively PC's, and will more and more take over their role.

Ok, then why is this silly comparison only including Apple phones and leaving out ALL other smart phones... such as those running Android?  

post #31 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by starxd View Post

Ok, then why is this silly comparison only including Apple phones and leaving out ALL other smart phones... such as those running Android?  

Because market analyst Benedict Evans wanted to see how the two big OS developers most of us grew up with are fairing against each other. Perhaps you are too young to remember (although that seems very odd) but neither Android nor Google has been around nearly as long as Apple and MS.

There have been plenty of studies that take all tablets and smartphones (and feature phones running Android) into account when determining market share, but this is about two specific companies, not the entire market.

post #32 of 160
So the only way Apple can say they outsold Windows OEM's is to combine ios devices into the computer category. Sorry that is a lame answer if you can't win on the product alone then don't play the game. Desktops/laptops vs desktops/laptops. Next they will count their iwatch as a computer and the appletv as well.
post #33 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps similar, but it doesn't really matter because iOS is not certified UNIX.

You can read the dozens of requirements here:

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/testing/prodstds.htm

iOS doesn't conform to any of them.

I'm not seeing where Darwin is certified either, just Mountain Lion and Mavericks

Now you're just splitting hairs.  Can we all agree an iPhone is a much more capable device than an 80's calculator watch or even an 80's PC?

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #34 of 160
Dan, I always enjoy your stories, but you must stop sending your articles through the official AppleInsider proofing machine. Sentences without ending, extra words added where they don't belong? You really should be embarrassed!
post #35 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Surely you can't be serious.
post #36 of 160
Quote:

Can you take your watch to a business meeting, connect to the wi-fi, and conduct a million dollar presentation on the flat-panel TV via AppleTV...? Can your watch wirelessly print out the handouts for the meeting in pdf, or docx format...? Can your watch take a large order from a GSA customer and send it to your home office for immediate shipment, track the order, and communicate with trafficing via phone, text or email...? Umm, I thought not.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #37 of 160
Quote:

Surely you can't be serious.

No I'm not, was curious on your take on it.
post #38 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

If Steve Ballmer were still alive, he'd be screaming, sweating, and throwing chairs.
Microsoft is so much less fun without him.

He may be yet pulling strings from his position on the board, but he's too much of an egomaniac to stop shilling for Microsoft from his new bully pulpit... I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Uncle Fester.. The media love to interview him too much to leave him alone.
post #39 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Now you're just splitting hairs.  Can we all agree an iPhone is a much more capable device than an 80's calculator watch or even an 80's PC?

Totally correct. An iPhone 5s would blow an IBM PC out of the water and an IBM XT ... and so on ... , hell they were only 8 bit not to mention the crappy OS they ran!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #40 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Can you take your watch to a business meeting, connect to the wi-fi, and conduct a million dollar presentation on the flat-panel TV via AppleTV...? Can your watch wirelessly print out the handouts for the meeting in pdf, or docx format...? Can your watch take a large order from a GSA customer and send it to your home office for immediate shipment, track the order, and communicate with trafficing via phone, text or email...? Umm, I thought not.

Well said. Mr, or perhaps Ms saarek seemingly doesn't own an iPhone or he/she would understand that!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
  • Apple, Inc. sold more computers than all of Microsoft's Windows PC partners in December quarter
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple, Inc. sold more computers than all of Microsoft's Windows PC partners in December quarter