or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook met with Samsung CEO in failed attempt to resolve patent dispute

Apple's Tim Cook met with Samsung CEO in failed attempt to resolve patent dispute

post #1 of 36
Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung mobile chief Shin Jong-Kyun met in the U.S. last week but were unable to hammer out an agreement that would end their long-running intellectual property battle, Korean media reported on Friday.

Apple v Samsung

Samsung would not confirm the outcome of the meeting or if it actually took place, according to ZDNet Korea. A U.S. court had ordered the two parties to meet and discuss a settlement in advance of a new trial set to start next month.

Lawyers from both sides met Jan. 6 to work out a framework for the mediation session. Under that agreement, the session was to take place by Feb. 19 while each party's CEO and three to four in-house counsel were to be in attendance.

This would not be the first time executives from two of the world's largest electronics companies met but failed to make peace. Cook previously met with Shin and Samsung Vice Chairman Choi Gee-sung in July of 2012 in advance of the landmark Apple v. Samsung case which resulted in an award of nearly $1 billion after Samsung was found to infringe on Apple's intellectual property.

The new trial, set to begin March 31, looks to build on the previous case as the companies will argue over newer products like Apple's iPhone 4S and Samsung's Galaxy Nexus III. Apple marketing vice president Phil Schiller and former iOS chief Scott Forstall are both once again slated to stand as witnesses alongside outside experts and various other executives from both companies.
post #2 of 36
Wasn't apples new terms really simple? Stop copying us?

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #3 of 36
Samsung did not want that clause in the settlement agreement.
post #4 of 36

SameDung loves to lose.  Go Tim!

post #5 of 36

Samdung: drop all charges and we won't copy for 2 years.

post #6 of 36

I can't even imagine what the two of them actually talked about being in the same room.  I'd be surprised if they actually tried to have a constructive discussion.

It was probably just both of them chatting about trivial stuff or ignoring each other.

post #7 of 36
Tim: Pay what you owe us, or you're heading for a world of hurt.

The Other Guy: No.

Meeting adjourned.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 36
Don't be surprised if Sammy's CEO copies Tim's look.
post #9 of 36

~~This would not be the first time executives from one of the world's largest electronic company called Apple, and the other, one of the world's largest electronic copyist company called Samsung ...

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Don't be surprised if Sammy's CEO copies Tim's look.

I guess you missed the pictures TS posted of a Samsung exec wearing the same suit/shirt/tie combo as Tim Cook. I literally laughed out loud.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

They can't agree to those terms, that's cutting off the hand that feeds you your 'original designs'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

~~This would not be the first time executives from one of the world's largest electronic company called Apple, and the other, one of the world's largest electronic copyist company called Samsung ...

..so Samsung called Apple, and Google called Samsung?

Courts have already ruled mostly for Apple in these cases, so if a resolution wasn't reached, Apple was either asking for too much, or Samsung is just going to factor in these these $1B rulings as part of the expense to build phones. Unless the courts start to ban products in a timely manner, Samsung mobile will still make multi-billions every quarter

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I can't even imagine what the two of them actually talked about being in the same room.  I'd be surprised if they actually tried to have a constructive discussion.

It was probably just both of them chatting about trivial stuff or ignoring each other.

i was thinking the same thing, when they said they both sides would have inside legal counsel there. It was probably more of the lawyers whispering things in their ears.

I would like to believe if Steve was still around, he would have told the lawyers to leave the room and Steve would have just explain how he was going to use his $160B to burn them.

post #13 of 36
Headline says they meet, then you keep on reeding and it says they havent confirmed the meeting?
post #14 of 36

Tim: You need to stop copying our designs.

Shin: We ain't that kinda life

post #15 of 36
Quote:

And look what they did: they did something contrary to what Apple wants; they didn't want to resolve the patent dispute¡ Quite original.
post #16 of 36

It's easy for simpleminded folks in the peanut gallery to cheer and jeer. But is this really so simple anymore? How do you define copying and not copying in a world where every smartphone looks similar from 10 ft away? There must be more to an agreement than "don't copy". Details, details, details ...

post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I would like to believe if Steve was still around, he would have told the lawyers to leave the room and Steve would have just explain how he was going to use his $160B to burn them.

By doing what, exactly? Taking away all their orders? That wouldn't even make a dent in their revenue. I can't dream up what you expect Steve to do, hypothetically.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I guess you missed the pictures TS posted of a Samsung exec wearing the same suit/shirt/tie combo as Tim Cook. I literally laughed out loud.

I remember it now. Haha. What will Sammy copy next?
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

It's easy for simpleminded folks in the peanut gallery to cheer and jeer. But is this really so simple anymore? How do you define copying and not copying in a world where every smartphone looks similar from 10 ft away? There must be more to an agreement than "don't copy". Details, details, details ...

They look similar because they've copied the leader...Apple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

By doing what, exactly? Taking away all their orders? That wouldn't even make a dent in their revenue. I can't dream up what you expect Steve to do, hypothetically.

instead of buying Apple shares, they can buy samsung shares which are a lot cheaper, gain controlling interest, get a board position and make puppet out of them. Or give the money to Icahn and let me works his miracles on Samsung.

post #21 of 36
Quote:

instead of buying Apple shares, they can buy samsung shares which are a lot cheaper, gain controlling interest, get a board position and make puppet out of them. Or give the money to Icahn and let me works his miracles on Samsung.

'kay. If you think that'll work, cool.
post #22 of 36
Quote:

Yes, but Samsung can't lose face. Admitting to copying is something they cannot do. They cannot just move on. So they play the FRAND/SEP abuse game. Badly.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, but Samsung can't lose face. Admitting to copying is something they cannot do. They cannot just move on. So they play the FRAND/SEP abuse game. Badly.

Did you forget that they did admit to copying?
post #24 of 36
Quote:

We are beyond saving face.  Samsung already admitted they copied the designs.

post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you forget that they did admit to copying?

I can't keep track of all the history rewriting Samsung does. Do they have a list of their current forum meme/talking points published somewhere? You know, for their fans to reiterate on the Web?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #26 of 36
Quote:

I can't keep track of all the history rewriting Samsung does. Do they have a list of their current forum meme/talking points published somewhere? You know, for their fans to reiterate on the Web?

I don't know of any but there should be one. Their lawyer admitted to the copying during the last damages hearing. It was a very interesting thread to say the very least.
post #27 of 36
I honestly wish this matter would be over already.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

I honestly wish this matter would be over already.

To which "matter" are you specifically referring to?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung mobile chief Shin Jong-Kyun met in the U.S. last week but were unable to hammer out an agreement…

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #30 of 36
Quote:

To which "matter" are you specifically referring to?

It's "mind over matter"... If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 36
Quote:

i was thinking the same thing, when they said they both sides would have inside legal counsel there. It was probably more of the lawyers whispering things in their ears.

He lost the right to do that sort of thing when it became a publicly traded company. I didn't see him as the type to make empty threats, so I don't think it would have gone down that way.

Quote:

Do companies in general ever admit anything? I don't see this as unique to any of them. The actual trials were quantified though. I don't know that an agreement not to design too similarly would fix everything.

post #32 of 36

Hmm...

I wonder if the reason why we see so few new products from Apple is because Samsung blatantly copies Apple, and Apple has very little protection from the courts in the U.S. (and around the world) that would ban any Samsung product that infringes Apple's IP.

Which may be the reason why Apple wants an anti-cloning clause that would prevent Samsung from cloning anything Apple produces.

post #33 of 36
Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

I wonder if the reason why we see so few new products from Apple is because Samsung blatantly copies Apple

No, Apple rejects ideas that don’t work.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Hmm...

I wonder if the reason why we see so few new products from Apple is because Samsung blatantly copies Apple, and Apple has very little protection from the courts in the U.S. (and around the world) that would ban any Samsung product that infringes Apple's IP.

I don't think this is the case at all. They complain about it, yet their sales have grown immensely in spite of this. They are in arguably better off today than they would have been if none of the idevices had ever existed.

Quote:
Which may be the reason why Apple wants an anti-cloning clause that would prevent Samsung from cloning anything Apple produces.

Anti-cloning is kind of a colloquial term there. If it was something written into a contract, the actual stipulations would be quantified in far greater detail.

post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, Apple rejects ideas that don’t work.

I think it's more than that. If the technology needed to make something work right is not there, then Apple is willing to wait until they, or someone else, develops that technology. Look at Microsoft with tablets. They failed because the technology for tablets wasn't "ripe" enough. Apple waited and worked on the technology until they got it right. With Samsung and the "smart" watch, they just hobbled something together for the bragging rights of being one of the first. Whatever the iWatch turns out to be, I'm betting Apple will have another game-changer.

post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I think it's more than that. If the technology needed to make something work right is not there, then Apple is willing to wait until they, or someone else, develops that technology. Look at Microsoft with tablets. They failed because the technology for tablets wasn't "ripe" enough. Apple waited and worked on the technology until they got it right. With Samsung and the "smart" watch, they just hobbled something together for the bragging rights of being one of the first. Whatever the iWatch turns out to be, I'm betting Apple will have another game-changer.

The technology needed is almost always there, the big hurdle is can it be used and still keep the product affordable. Lead can be turned to gold but the process costs much more than the amount of gold one can make.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook met with Samsung CEO in failed attempt to resolve patent dispute