or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Office may come to iPad before Windows 8

Microsoft Office may come to iPad before Windows 8

post #1 of 99
A report on Friday claims Microsoft may actually take the wraps off an iPad version of its Office productivity suite before releasing a touch-able iteration on the company's own Windows 8 platform.

Office

Speculation that Microsoft is biding its time with an Office for iPad release gathered steam on Friday after Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Marketing Tami Reller said the company was taking a "thoughtful" approach to cross-platform models. A follow-up report from ZDNet, however, claims the industry-leading productivity suite may actually land on iPad well before Windows.

According to the publication's sources, the made-for-iPad iteration bears the codename "Miramar" and is likely to make it to market ahead of a touch-first Windows implementation codenamed "Gemini."

As ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley explains, Microsoft's last public statements concerning Miramar hinted it would land after Gemini later this year. This came after rumors pegging the Office for iPad project dead in the water.

Sources now say that late last year Microsoft higher ups like former CEO Steve Ballmer agreed with a suggestion from the Office team to push out the iPad iteration as soon as it was ready. Apparently the iPad version is in a more advanced stage of development compared to a Windows 8 solution, meaning it will likely debut first.

While the publication's sources do not know an exact release date, some are looking at a rollout sometime in the first half of 2014. The purchase structure is also unknown, though Foley has heard it will likely require a subscription through Microsoft Office 365, much like the existing iPhone product.
post #2 of 99
Oh who cares at this stage.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 99
I have been using the existing product out of necessity, hopefully the full product is nicer.
post #4 of 99

Can't believe it's taken them so long. Pathetic.

That said, it'll be nice to have Excel for iPad.

post #5 of 99
If this is possible, the geniuses at Microsoft might even get round to adding CalDav support this side of the next decade...
post #6 of 99
Mac Office releases are staggered from Windows Office releases, so not unprecedented. And apps like Microsoft Word were available on Mac before the original Windows versions (DOS doesn't count).

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 99
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Mac Office releases are staggered from Windows Office releases, so not unprecedented. And apps like Microsoft Word were available on Mac before the original Windows versions (DOS doesn't count).

Sure, but they haven’t been staggered with Apple first since… well, the beginning.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #8 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not for $99 a year it's not.
post #9 of 99
If true, what does this tell us about the robustness of the Windows Mobile OS and the developer APIs/Tools vis a vis iOS?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #10 of 99
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
If true, what does this tell us about the robustness

That it’s a 22A cup.

Oh, robustness…

post #11 of 99
Just when we thought we'd seen the limits of Microsoft's incompetence... They never cease to amaze...
post #12 of 99
The new guy has more business sense than Ballmer who is so intertwined with windows he wasn't capable of making business decisions, just emotional decisions. That's why they are where they are. Pathetic indeed.
post #13 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
If true, what does this tell us about the robustness

That it’s a 22A cup.

Oh, robustness…

LOL... You're as crazy as me!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #14 of 99
I can bet they won't want to access CalDAV for iCloud, DropBox or other cloud services, and will force a tie into their cloud services only.
post #15 of 99

Buy office 365 on china website is 82$ with current exchange rate, this is what I did.

never could work out why.

Better than UK website which is 80uk pounds. so 99$usd.

not sure how Microsoft calculate value in currency exchanges.

post #16 of 99

This would be the first sane decision to come out of Microsoft since iOS exists.

There is no point debating this. iOS is the clear usage (not to say market) leader, leader when it comes to monetisation and especially Enterprise adoption. Microsoft should've released a full fledged touch office for iOS much earlier. That would've made most sense from a business perspective.

Now, that they seem to have finally learned their lesson and hopefully realise that while they supply some major business software and solutions there is absolutely no point in using them as platform exclusives, trying to push a consumer product no one really wants.

Let's just hope we're getting a real, full Office experience here and nothing similarly useless (as in incapable) to the iPhone version. Otherwise I don't see much of a point in iOS Office. Took them long enough, many people actually moved on already. The market won't wait another 5 years for a functional and compatible Microsoft version.

post #17 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:

Not for $99 a year it's not.

Wow, a vague, oblique statement in a rumor-based article on a blog that says "...The purchase structure is also unknown, though Foley has heard it will likely require a subscription through Microsoft Office 365..." is enough for you to conclude that it'll cost "$99 per year."

Doesn't take much by way of actual data to get you to make categorical statements, does it?

post #18 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Just when we thought we'd seen the limits of Microsoft's incompetence... They never cease to amaze...

Rich with irony for sure...

...I couldn't believe Win 8 launched without any key MS Windows apps in the first place, at least Office, and, still lacking them years later, why there's any confusion about why Win 8 has been such a failure - for this reason alone.

"Hello, you billion plus Windows users. Migrate to our new platform now en masse.  Of course there's nothing you've been using Windows for that you can do with the whole "modern" part (btw, we screwed the pooch by teaching you to say "Metro without doing trademark research), but it's animated with moving tiles!

And touch friendly (if as less than probably 5% of you, you own a touch-capable Win device)! And there are a smattering of something resembling a few mobile apps that your workplace has no interest in or use for!

And oh, none have common API's, but the PC interface at least kinda looks like the phone interface and the RT (say what?) interface that all require separate development to have 'One Windows everywhere'."

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #19 of 99

Who cares. It will be slow, huge, difficult to use (same crappy UI especially for mobile?), expensive... It will only deserve as a direct comparison with iWork for iOS, so it will only increase iWork's value.

post #20 of 99
I use Excel for work and Numbers at home, and I hate excel honestly. Way too cluttered.... Ill stick with my Numbers, and export to an Excel spreadsheet if need be.
post #21 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I can bet they won't want to access CalDAV for iCloud, DropBox or other cloud services, and will force a tie into their cloud services only.

You may be right...MS will screw it up somehow. They will for sure if they make it touch aware the same way they did on the Surface... What a kluge...!!!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #22 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

If this is possible, the geniuses at Microsoft might even get round to adding CalDav support this side of the next decade...

Yeah, but it won't quite meet the CalDav standard. Something will be screwy and they'll never fix it.

post #23 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Rich with irony for sure...

...I couldn't believe Win 8 launched without any key MS Windows apps in the first place, at least Office, and, still lacking them years later, why there's any confusion about why Win 8 has been such a failure - for this reason alone.

"Hello, you billion plus Windows users. Migrate to our new platform now en masse.  Of course there's nothing you've been using Windows for that you can do with the whole "modern" part (btw, we screwed the pooch by teaching you to say "Metro without doing trademark research), but it's animated with moving tiles!

And touch friendly (if as less than probably 5% of you, you own a touch-capable Win device)! And there are a smattering of something resembling a few mobile apps that your workplace has no interest in or use for!

And oh, none have common API's, but the PC interface at least kinda looks like the phone interface and the RT (say what?) interface that all require separate development to have 'One Windows everywhere'."

I was wondering why they stopped calling it Metro. 

post #24 of 99
Mmm...

If MS brings Excel to iOS:
  • Wouldn't they need to provide Macro [Programming] capability?
  • Aren't Excel Macros written in VBA (Visual Basic)?
  • Isn't Visual Basic a programming language?
  • Would Apple allow an app that includes a programming language on iOS?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #25 of 99
I wouldn't want to bash MS just because, but they are so easy to bash.
I'm still shocked that of ALL the applications I've installed on my Mac, the Office suite is the ONLY ONE that doesn't follow the Apple philosophy. All apps manage to hide all their configuration files into a container, ALL, even those from very small developers. MS developers, well, they didn't care about that, so there's this big folder full of stuff that no user should see. It's baffling. They can't even follow a simple rule.
post #26 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I use Excel for work and Numbers at home, and I hate excel honestly. Way too cluttered.... Ill stick with my Numbers, and export to an Excel spreadsheet if need be.

Numbers is really really horrible for using with big spreadsheets. I don't do that myself, but I can't see anyone using for serious accountability work due to its inability to quickly manage big data.

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2013/10/27/numbers-13-performance/

They have to do something about it. The UI is great and it could be so much better.

post #27 of 99

Whether it's Office or iWork, the iPad has never struck me as a very good place to get much real work done.  I can work five times faster on a real laptop with keyboard and decent-sized screen.   As for spreadsheets on a 9" display (or Numbers for that matter), no thanks.  

post #28 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post

Whether it's Office or iWork, the iPad has never struck me as a very good place to get much real work done.  I can work five times faster on a real laptop with keyboard and decent-sized screen.   As for spreadsheets on a 9" display (or Numbers for that matter), no thanks.  

It's a complement, not a substitute for corporate-type work.

post #29 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post

I don't think anyone, here, expects to develop a major spreadsheet design, or do mass data input on an iPad.

However, it is very valuable to be able to access a spreadsheet created elsewhere and make minor updates and changes at will.

In some situations, having up-to-date data means everything.

Pipped by @anantksundaram who said it better
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #30 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Numbers is really really horrible for using with big spreadsheets. I don't do that myself, but I can't see anyone using for serious accountability work due to its inability to quickly manage big data.

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2013/10/27/numbers-13-performance/

They have to do something about it. The UI is great and it could be so much better.

Oh I can see why people would use Excel.

post #31 of 99
Quote:

Mmm...

No, they wouldn't.  Chances are Office for iPad won't have feature-parity with the desktop version in the same manner that iWork for iPad doesn't support AppleScript but iWork on OSX does.

post #32 of 99
Quote:

Mmm...

No
Yes
Yes
Maybe

censored

censored

post #33 of 99
Quote:

Don't expect it to be feature parity with the Windows desktop version.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #34 of 99
I used to hate Windows until I ran it on a Mac. Hopefully this will have the safe effect seeing as how they've finally admitted the PC era truly is going away as the go-to hardware. I need a true Word program for my ipad. These others just aren't compatible with today's yesterworld.
post #35 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, but they haven’t been staggered with Apple first since… well, the beginning.

Not true. When Jobs struck the five year Zoffice deal with Apple, Microsoft released at least one version first on the Mac.
post #36 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Don't expect it to be feature parity with the Windows desktop version.
And if it does it will be unusable. Excel is like the 'pro' version of Numbers, way too feature heavy to provide a good user experience on an iPad. Numbers is a good iPad spreadsheet but generally speaking, spreadsheets work so much better with a mouse and a larger screen. Excel for iPad will have very limited appeal I reckon, but will probably sell well on name alone.
post #37 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I wouldn't want to bash MS just because, but they are so easy to bash.
I'm still shocked that of ALL the applications I've installed on my Mac, the Office suite is the ONLY ONE that doesn't follow the Apple philosophy. All apps manage to hide all their configuration files into a container, ALL, even those from very small developers. MS developers, well, they didn't care about that, so there's this big folder full of stuff that no user should see. It's baffling. They can't even follow a simple rule.
So can I assume you've never installed any Adobe Suites or programs? No excuses, just saying that MS isn't the only one that gets away with App install murder.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #38 of 99
Quote:

I don't think anyone, here, expects to develop a major spreadsheet design, or do mass data input on an iPad.

However, it is very valuable to be able to access a spreadsheet created elsewhere and make minor updates and changes at will.

In some situations, having up-to-date data means everything.

Pipped by @anantksundaram who said it better
While true it is immensely advantagious to be able to update a spreadsheet, but you also brought up the problem of VB macros... I'm also curious how they're going to implement that. Strictly embedded possibly with no editing of the Macro?

I've also wondered how it is that a number crunching program and sheets with 50k to even a 1mil. cells can be so much slower than say, "number crunching pixels" such as in Photoshop or FCPX. I often have PS layered files over a gig, and can still work and edit rather smoothly and in real time, not to mention FCPX.

It's all just ones and zeros, so any ideas or insight on that?
post #39 of 99
Re: VB Script
It certainly is odd that MS with complete control and access to the underlying OS can't get this working on their own devices... and that it's still not feature compatible on mobile. With that said, even the power of iOS APIs and cloud parity seems to be taking time at Apple.

Re: Number Crunching
I'm only guessing here, but on any mobile device there must be a way to isolate subsets of cells or areas of a spreadsheet. Dropping the whole thing into RAM is not going to work so well for the biz users with mega sheets. I rarily work with Excel or Numbers, but in the pixel world, I'm visioning something similar to thumbnails or optimized PDFs for selection purposes... "Flattened Data Views" if you will. Any thoughts?
post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Quote:

Mmm...

No, they wouldn't.  Chances are Office for iPad won't have feature-parity with the desktop version in the same manner that iWork for iPad doesn't support AppleScript but iWork on OSX does.

Okay, then what's the advantage?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Office may come to iPad before Windows 8