or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple - Page 6

post #201 of 299
Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post

Apple refuses to release products to compete in emerging markets.

Siri is gret, but it’s a parlor trick. Apple doesn’t make money from its use…

Google DOES have an 80 percent share of the mobile market

Apples… …business has become largely uninnovative…

Companies like Samsung have taken Apples formula and improved upon it

 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

 

A laugh is always the best way to start the day.

 
And for the record, I have nothing against Apple or their products.

 

Rule #4.

 
I just have a problem with misleading articles that are based on incorrect information. 

 

Ah, irony.

 

Originally Posted by iamstopper View Post
The old days of not caring how much the phone costs are gone, people now pay monthly or upfront the entire cost of the phone

 

Not for smartphones, they don’t.

 
…the higher the price the more expensive their monthly phone bill.

 

That sounds like the opposite of what actually happens. The more you pay up front the lower your bill would be. That is, if telecoms actually cared about customers.

 
Once people get out of their contract and get a great phone for not a lot of money Apple will be forced to dramatically lower their prices which will cut into the massive profit margins they have been enjoying. 

 

I’m sure that after six years of saying this it will finally be true once¡

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #202 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

'GUI' refers to the User Interface—it's what the OS looks like.

Early Android was designed to copy Blackberry, but when the iPhone came out, they quickly realised they would have to copy Apple, so they did. As Google is a company with no ethics, stealing doesn't matter to them. To most people, stealing is very wrong, which is why Google is deservedly hated by several people who write on these forums.

As you know all this, I conclude that you condone theft.

Got a good view up on that horse? Stealing happens all the time. If you live in the US you're living on stolen land, we had a president that stole an election. Companies copy all the time, Philips comes out with a flat panel TV and now every single TV manufacturer makes a flat panel.

Google was smart enough to realize the paradigm shift Apple created and quickly altered their game plan, those that acted slowly are dead (Palm) or dying (BB). Now you might argue that Android hasn't made anyone money except for Samsung, but Motorola, LG, HTC, etc are surviving, and as long as they're alive they have a fighting chance to turn things around. For any of them to make yet another platform is not the answer.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #203 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 

Re. being an Apple competitor, I'm talking about the market they were targetting.  BlackBerry were on top of the enterprise, with some minor encroachment on the consumer market, and I believe Android was conceived of as a rival to BlackBerry for that space.  When Apple announced the iPhone, and it was clearly consumer-facing (albeit high end) then the target for Android was shifted to also being the consumer market.

 

I don't think either of these things are in any way illegal or questionable copying, but they're what got Steve Jobs so wound up.  Android was refactored from a Microsoft and RIM rival for businesses, to a direct iPhone competitor and copied its touch paradigm.

I don't really disagree with anything you say here, I guess meanings just got mixed. I did find that there was an early full touch-screen prototype but that's not really unexpected either considering the Windows Mobile devices around at the time. One of the notable improvements Apple made was multi-touch although finding accurate information on that is rather difficult, and I think it's clear that modern smartphones have adopted (or 'copied' I guess but that raises the question of significance) this rather widely.

post #204 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Not for smartphones, they don’t.

People don't pay the cost of the smartphone off as part of their monthly bill?  I think you misread what you quoted.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

That sounds like the opposite of what actually happens. The more you pay up front the lower your bill would be. That is, if telecoms actually cared about customers.

That's not what he was talking about, he said the monthly bill was higher if the cost of the phone was higher, which it noticeably is with the iPhone.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #205 of 299
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Stealing happens all the time.

 

Therefore it’s okay¡

 
Companies copy all the time, Philips comes out with a flat panel TV and now every single TV manufacturer makes a flat panel.

 

That's so impossibly pathetic.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #206 of 299

I think is Apple can another search engine like Yahoo or Bring can work together and begin showing a trend away from Google then wall street will have to stand up and take notice. As long as google shows some amount of improvement and they can spin a story they they growing into new and exciting markets then wall street loves them. But as soon as their numbers start going down and a competitor grows what how fast they tank google.

 

Lastly, it does not surprise me that people using Google Glasses are getting headache no on should be surprise at that. Google said they work with eye doctors to make sure it work right and it is the person fault they are getting headache since they may not be wearing the glass properly. They should have been working with neurologist to understand how the brain works and how visual input can affect the brain. Just another example that google has not idea what they are doing. We all can hope they will end up like Steve Martin in the jerk paying everyone $1 at time until they are broke.

 

I was going to post the clip from the movie "The Jerk" from the news conference where it was revealed they glasses caused problems, interesting enough youtude has number of The Jerk clips except this one, i could only find it here, wonder is google is censoring it.

 

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-jerk/opti-grab-news-piece/


Edited by Maestro64 - 2/17/14 at 9:44am
post #207 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstopper View Post

The chart showing the constant lowering of phone prices should scare the hell out of Apple. The old days of not caring how much the phone costs are gone, people now pay monthly or upfront the entire cost of the phone, and the higher the price the more expensive their monthly phone bill. All you have to do is look at the Moto G which is a very nice phone with last years technology and all it costs is $179. Once people get out of their contract and get a great phone for not a lot of money Apple will be forced to dramatically lower their prices which will cut into the massive profit margins they have been enjoying.

Did Apple worry when the prices of computers went considerably down? While their growth will eventually slow down it won't go backwards.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #208 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

and same can be said of you or anyone else posting in this thread.

That's most certainly true. 

 

However, on the topic of whether Jobs was one among a handful of the greatest corporate leaders of the last hundred years -- anywhere in the world -- I was simply pointing out that many more substantive minds than yours (or mine) have rendered a fairly uniform judgment.

 

Nothing personal.

post #209 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Therefore it’s okay¡

You’re so impossibly pathetic.

I didn't say it's okay, but don't act like it's never happened before.

How is my example wrong? Is anyone making 4:3 CRTs anymore?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #210 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Got a good view up on that horse? Stealing happens all the time. If you live in the US you're living on stolen land, we had a president that stole an election. Companies copy all the time, Philips comes out with a flat panel TV and now every single TV manufacturer makes a flat panel.

Google was smart enough to realize the paradigm shift Apple created and quickly altered their game plan, those that acted slowly are dead (Palm) or dying (BB). Now you might argue that Android hasn't made anyone money except for Samsung, but Motorola, LG, HTC, etc are surviving, and as long as they're alive they have a fighting chance to turn things around. For any of them to make yet another platform is not the answer.

So if anything happens all the time, it's okay. Got it.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #211 of 299

I'm not so sure about that, the company still makes most of its money from the iphone and that profit margin simply cannot hold. And the computer market was never priced in a way to hide the true cost in a monthly access fee. I'm not suggesting that Apple will collapse, but without the new "killer product" the inevitable lower profits from Ipads and Iphones won't be enough to continue the Apple juggernaut.

post #212 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

So if anything happens all the time, it's okay. Got it.

Again it's not okay but don't act shocked like its never happened before. Apple isn't the first company that's been copied nor will it be the last. Belly aching about it helps no one, nor changes anything.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #213 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstopper View Post

I'm not so sure about that, the company still makes most of its money from the iphone and that profit margin simply cannot hold. And the computer market was never priced in a way to hide the true cost in a monthly access fee. I'm not suggesting that Apple will collapse, but without the new "killer product" the inevitable lower profits from Ipads and Iphones won't be enough to continue the Apple juggernaut.

1) Don't conflate lower profit margins with lower profits. If they saturate the upper tiers of the market even more and branch into the next lower tier to sell double the number of devices with a third reduction in their profit margin they are still then increasing their profit.

2) If you think Apple is unbalanced then Google is much worse with pretty much all their profit coming from ad revenue which has had reduced ad APR whilst at the same time Apple's iPhone has seen a rise in its average price.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #214 of 299
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Belly aching about it helps no one, nor changes anything.

 

YEAH. I’m sure that not complaining about theft of intellectual property will stop the theft of intellectual property¡

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #215 of 299
He didn't say that, nor was it implied.

Cases of IP infringement are stopped/remedied by authorities, not by rants or sarcasm on the AppleInsider forum.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #216 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

YEAH. I’m sure that not complaining about theft of intellectual property will stop the theft of intellectual property¡

Your belly aching won't. If your input means squat then why do it? Complain about something you can actually change. It's like complaining about the weather; shut up, dress appropriately, suck it up, and go do what you have to do.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #217 of 299
Part of the issue is that Apple is very boring, like Tim Cook, as of late. When you are boring, no one cares, even when you churn out gobs of money. Every Apple product looks like every other boring Apple product, a white slab inside of a boring colored bumper. It's the 1984 commercial, 30 years later, only now, Apple is what IBM of that day was. Google is vibrant, wacky, and entertaining to watch. The investors take note and drive up the share price, even it does seem bizarre.
post #218 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Again it's not okay but don't act shocked like its never happened before. Apple isn't the first company that's been copied nor will it be the last. Belly aching about it helps no one, nor changes anything.

So you equate standing up for principles as getting on your high horse and belly aching. Why bother having any principles?
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #219 of 299
Mr. Dilger—such a great article!

Not only do you hone in like a laser on the truth, but you make it entertaining too.

What I appreciate about your analysis is that you look up and down; you observe the big picture but also the detail. Which I think is telling, because it is Apple's attention to detail which is a large part of the secret of their success. It is only through a rigorous focus on detail that you can achieve simplicity. And the truth is in the detail.

AppleInsider has many strengths, and, for me, your contributions are the crowning glory.
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 2/17/14 at 11:59am
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #220 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashail View Post

Wow this article is super-biased. Google may be able to fool investors but you can't fool your customers. If 80% of phones being shipped are android it's because people like it. Most of these users are people who have used android phones in the past and are happy with it. Some are switching from the iPhone (for good reason) and maybe a handful are completely new to smartphones but have been recommended by friends/family. If anything, I think it's Apple who has been trying to fool customers by selling products for double their android-equivalent prices based purely on the "it's cool" factor. But the shift to android shows that you can only fool people for so long.

Comparing their growth to Sun/Adobe is a silly comparison. In the smartphone-era android figures are unparalleled. That's not to say that android will always be the dominant OS. Sooner or later they too will join Nokia and Apple in the once-was list. But for now, they are inarguably the no.1 player. And personally I feel as a software Android 4.4 is leagues ahead of iOS7.

 

Most Android phones sold are cheap pieces of junk that barely function as feature phones, let alone smartphones.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #221 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

So you equate standing up for principles as getting on your high horse and belly aching. Why bother having any principles?

We've all stolen something, a pencil, gotten too much change back, or didn't get charged enough and didn't say anything, gotten to work late, or left early, etc, etc.. Ideas get stolen all the time, that's how we get music genres, and fashion trends. Standing up for principles isn't being on a high horse, acting as if you've never done anything wrong is.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #222 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

 

A laugh is always the best way to start the day.

 

Rule #4.

 

Ah, irony.

 

 

Not for smartphones, they don’t.

 

That sounds like the opposite of what actually happens. The more you pay up front the lower your bill would be. That is, if telecoms actually cared about customers.

 

I’m sure that after six years of saying this it will finally be true once¡

You mock what I say but make no attempt to make any intelligent response to them.  You find error in my statements?  What specifically?  And what is rule #4?

post #223 of 299
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Your belly aching won't. If your input means squat then why do it? Complain about something you can actually change. It's like complaining about the weather; shut up, dress appropriately, suck it up, and go do what you have to do.

 

Sure thing. Those are all correct statements¡

 

Apathy is death.

 

Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post
You find error in my statements?  What specifically?

 

Quoted the ones that were wrong.

 

Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post
I gave very specific examples why I felt the article was wrong.

 

And your content quoted… was wrong.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #224 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

All iOS phones are sold as expensive pieces of junk that barely function as feature phones, let alone smartphones.

Troll response for a troll comment.

The problem is your comment is patently false where hill60's comment is correct.

Amazon has only a small sampling of these devices and there are a lot.

Now you might want to argue that Samsung sells millions of higher-end devices that are very good Android-based phones (and I'd agree) and you may want to then argue that these clearly cheap, crap-Droid phones are don't sell in any decent volume so that 1000 different models might not equal the unit sales of a single Samsung Galaxy S3 (and you might be right), but note that hill60 merely used the word "most" so his comment could easily be construed as referring to models, not units, which becomes very difficult (if not impossible) for you to argue against.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #225 of 299
Thank you for a small dose of reality. The credibility of the media is at an all time low, according to many polls. The media has become less about reporting and more about propaganda propagation, across the entire spectrum of our culture. Self censorship of truth and blatant misrepresentations of reality, are the new norm.
post #226 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apathy is death.

It's called intelligence, knowing when complaining will yield results, anything else is futile and a waste of time and energy.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #227 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Sure thing. Those are all correct statements¡

 

Apathy is death.

 

 

Quoted the ones that were wrong.

 

 

And your content quoted… was wrong.

It takes no intelligence at all to say someone is wrong.  What takes intelligence to actually backing up your statements with reasons and facts.  Toss me a knowledge bone here, if I'm wrong, tell me why.  I happen to disagree with you.

post #228 of 299

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post
 


 
Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility was about the acquisition of patents, plain and simple.  They weren't looking to enhance Google TV with Motorola's STB business, or stave off Motorola making Windows Phone devices.  Google has no need to fear Windows Phone devices because the platform is no threat to them, it only accounts for 3% of all mobile sales.  Google's hardware partners and Google themselves have been attacked in courts of late by many companies, including Apple, over patent issues, and they were trying to bolster their patent portfolio.  The importance of patents in today's patent-troll era cannot be overvalued.  Would Google have liked to see Motorola succeed more?  Absolutely.  But ultimately, Google isn't in the hardware business, they're in the services business.  The Nexus lineup, the Google Play Experience device lineup, and the Moto X/G experiments were exactly that, experiments.  They were never meant to bring in huge profits.  Google also maintained Motorola's Advanced Research division when they sold Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, because there are some more experiments in the pipeline that Google is highly interested in, such as Project Ara.  But don't be mistaken, ultimately, Google sells ads and uses that profit to try their hand at other things.  They don't always succeed, as is obvious if you just look at their other offerings.  For every Gmail and Google Maps, there are things like Google Buzz and Google Wave.  Google can afford to lose money on projects like that because they have a sound business with their AdSense.

I could comment on all your other points, however, I will focus on this one since I know this subject the best. 

 

Google originally went after Motorola as plan B to their screw up on the Nortel patent acquisition and Motorola was in fact in conversation with M$ again since they were afraid of the position Android was putting them with Apple. Motorola and M$ has a long relationship prior them dumping everything for Android.  Apple and Motorola were involved in a battle of the patent themselves, and Motorola attempt to blackmail Apple in to licensing all there iphone non-essential to get access to the Motorola essential standard based patents. This came to light during the due process on the acquisition approval by the EU and FTC. When the EU and FTC found out what Motorola was attempting to do they bared Google from suing competitors with the Motorola patents. This requirement alone rendered most of the patents worthless. At this point Google was in the hardware business they had to make a go of it. To this day Motorola is the only cell phone manufacture which Apple has not paid the FRAND fees for the patents becuase Motorola and Google could not back down from the position on cost of their license.
 

They were in fact interested in the Motorola Home business, since it was the largest supplier to the video market place. They had a gem here and it played right into what they wanted to do. They we so interested in that business they spend more time with that business than they did with phone business prior to the acquisition being approved. Well this was short lived because the Cable industry step in and told the EU and FTC they saw google as competitor and did not want their largest hardware and software manufacturer being control by Google. As soon as the deal was done, google immediately went looking for a buyer for the home business they were not allow to touch it.

 

Back to Motorola, google wanted and need Motorola to be a success since Samsung was gaining too much power and originally what want to compete against Apple on the high end since Motorola in fact had success in that space before. But they realize too late they could not break back in , so they went for the middle ground since business tend to buy in the middle of cheap and expensive phone. Well this was not working either since Apple was picking up what RIM was losing. As a last ditch effort they attempt the lost leader idea of just getting volumes of product out there and hopes to gain revenue from adds on these phones. Samsung was treating to go with their own OS on future product and looking to dip in to the ad revenue space cutting google out.

 

Yes google some part of the Motorola stuff, but they will not capitalize on it their tract record on this subject it poor. Yes Google as come up with some neat stuff like street view (the mapping cars) and google earth this people like using and it helps them sell more ads. But form an overall technology stand point they are just really improving on what others have done before them. They definitely do it better when is comes to their service but all the money they put in to hardware has not returned a penny to the bottom line, they can not even claim to spin of ideas the let them grow by themselves.

 

I highly doubt your 19% revenue from mobile for Google, I am not going to chance the number number but it is low than that, and 80% to 90% of that was coming form IOS devices and is declining as people move away from the google ad products. There is plenty of article on this fact alone. I will also say PC are dead, yes companies are still buying them to replace what they have, but I can tell more and more people are using their Iphone and Ipads at work verse the PC. Most PC at work are not used to surf the internet and look at ads. As a whole, PC industry is declining and unless google can some how capture the mobile ad market they are going to be in serious hurt.

 

So to you point, Yes Google is not in the hardware business, they claim to fame is ads and service, but they seem to spend more money on hardware and fail miserably at it, but Wall Street seem to like this since they taking risks to grow.

post #229 of 299
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
It's called intelligence, knowing when complaining will yield results, anything else is futile and a waste of time and energy.

 

And you’re wasting time and energy not complaining.

 

Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post
It takes no intelligence at all to say someone is wrong.

 

Takes even less to be wrong.

 
…if I’m wrong, tell me why.

 

You already know, but ‘kay.

 
Apple refuses to release products to compete in emerging markets.

 

And you call the $0 on contract iPhone what, exactly? You call the iPhone 4 in India what, exactly?

 
Siri is gret, but it’s a parlor trick.

 

Disproves itself.

 
Google DOES have an 80 percent share of the mobile market…

 

They have a 40% use share of phones and 10% use share of tablets.

 
Apple’s… …business has become largely uninnovative…

 

Disproves itself.

 
Companies like Samsung have taken Apple’s formula and improved upon it… 

 

Worse reliability, worse customer service, worse customer satisfaction, worse software performance, worse hardware performance..

 

Yeah, they’re doing spectacular.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #230 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Takes even less to be wrong.

 

You already know, but ‘kay.

 

And you call the $0 on contract iPhone what, exactly? You call the iPhone 4 in India what, exactly?

 

Disproves itself.

 

They have a 40% use share of phones and 10% use share of tablets.

 

Disproves itself.

 

Worse reliability, worse customer service, worse customer satisfaction, worse software performance, worse hardware performance..

 

Yeah, they’re doing spectacular.

You sound really arrogant for someone who hasn't really answered anything.

 

The $0 on contract phone has NOTHING to do with Apple.  Apple still makes 100% of the cost of the phone.  That is the carrier deciding to offer the deal, recouping the costs based on subsidies.  That's why it's "on contract", it's not a contract with Apple.

 

Wow, offering up a 4 year old phone at $350 USD, that's taking a real risk.

"Disproves itself" means nothing.

According to this two-day-old article, Android accounts for 78% of global smartphone sales: http://bit.ly/1oJq2UF  So yeah, I'm pretty sure my numbers are right.

 

You are 100% right, Apple's customer service and satisfaction are industry leading, I never said otherwise.  I said they became uninnovative.  The last few iPhones have all be iterative improvements.  Samsung has at least tried adding a ton of features, and I admit many of them are gimmicks, but at least they're trying new things.  Some of them are great, like the S Pen functionality of the Note 3.

post #231 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


The problem is your comment is patently false where hill60's comment is correct.

Amazon has only a small sampling of these devices and there are a lot.

Now you might want to argue that Samsung sells millions of higher-end devices that are very good Android-based phones (and I'd agree) and you may want to then argue that these clearly cheap, crap-Droid phones are don't sell in any decent volume so that 1000 different models might not equal the unit sales of a single Samsung Galaxy S3 (and you might be right), but note that hill60 merely used the word "most" so his comment could easily be construed as referring to models, not units, which becomes very difficult (if not impossible) for you to argue against.

Nope the problem is you believe hill60's comments are correct. 

post #232 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Nope the problem is you believe hill60's comments are correct. 

Can you show that most Android-based phone models are quality smartphones on par with the iPhone?

Admittedly it's pretty fuzzy where smartphone ends and feature-phone begins but if you can't look at the list I provided and see nothing but smartphones on par with the iPhone for a comparative yearly release simply because it has Android in some form installed then I don't think you're being honest with yourself.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/17/14 at 3:32pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #233 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post
 

According to this two-day-old article, Android accounts for 78% of global smartphone sales: http://bit.ly/1oJq2UF  So yeah, I'm pretty sure my numbers are right.

 

Here’s what’s wrong with your thinking about Android’s "~80% share" of shipments as reported by Gartner & IDC: 

 

The same sources point out that Apple is selling iPhones with a ASP of $650. Those Android shipments average around $210. The fact that there are lots of premium Android phones that cost as much as an iPhone means that the majority of Android shipments are even lower than $200. Two thirds of these "smartphones" are barely functional, which explains why the Android app market is such a wasteland of trash and features very little original, exclusive content that anyone will pay any money for. It’s all placeholder junk, just like Symbian and Mobile Java app stores were not so long ago whey they claimed the same kind of "dominant market share" that Android does today. 

 

It’s a foolish set of statistics created by market research groups to flatter Android, and that fact that you’re falling for it shows how powerful this garbage data is for fooling people who can’t think for themselves. 

 

Everything else you wrote also conveys that you are quite easily fooled by bogus facts, such as your confidence that Apple Maps are some terrible mistake. If that were the case, Google’s chairman wouldn’t be pleading with the public to push Apple to restore Google Maps. 

 

But the bottom line is that Google has failed to translate its arrogant claims about Android into money. And that’s what corporations are supposed to do. Google is failing in mobile hardware in a spectacular way, and the evidence is only becoming clearer. Plummeting ASPs are a bad sign for Android, the same as plummeting ASPs for PCs were a bad sign for Microsoft. 

post #234 of 299
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
If you two are going to fight at least crack some jokes while you're doing it so the rest of us can be entertained

 

I’ll get right on that.

 

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Btw I did not expect to get stuck with 'naysayer extraordinaire' lol.gif

 

That’s pretty ironic. :lol: 

 

Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post

The $0 on contract phone has NOTHING to do with Apple.

 

Yeah, they sure don’t tell the telecoms what they can sell the phone for! Oh, wait.

 
Apple still makes 100% of the cost of the phone.

 

… And that has what to do with the price for which they’re sold to consumers?

 

Wow, offering up a 4 year old phone at $350 USD, that's taking a real risk.

 

Not as much a risk as losing money on every unit sold. 

 
"Disproves itself" means nothing.

 

Do you know what words are?

 
According to this two-day-old article, Android accounts for 78% of global smartphone sales: http://bit.ly/1oJq2UF  So yeah, I'm pretty sure my numbers are right.
 

 

There hasn’t been any data loss between your source of numbers and your presentation of numbers. How do you know the number itself is correct? Why do you think the number means anything?

 
I said they became uninnovative.

 

Which they haven’t.

 
The last few iPhones have all be iterative improvements.

 

So… coma, then?

 
Samsung has at least tried adding a ton of features, and I admit many of them are gimmicks, but at least they're trying new things.

 

Yep, coma.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 2/17/14 at 3:44pm

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #235 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post
 

 

Here’s what’s wrong with your thinking about Android’s "~80% share" of shipments as reported by Gartner & IDC: 

 

The same sources point out that Apple is selling iPhones with a ASP of $650. Those Android shipments average around $210. The fact that there are lots of premium Android phones that cost as much as an iPhone means that the majority of Android shipments are even lower than $200. Two thirds of these "smartphones" are barely functional, which explains why the Android app market is such a wasteland of trash and features very little original, exclusive content that anyone will pay any money for. It’s all placeholder junk, just like Symbian and Mobile Java app stores were not so long ago whey they claimed the same kind of "dominant market share" that Android does today. 

 

It’s a foolish set of statistics created by market research groups to flatter Android, and that fact that you’re falling for it shows how powerful this garbage data is for fooling people who can’t think for themselves. 

 

Everything else you wrote also conveys that you are quite easily fooled by bogus facts, such as your confidence that Apple Maps are some terrible mistake. If that were the case, Google’s chairman wouldn’t be pleading with the public to push Apple to restore Google Maps. 

 

But the bottom line is that Google has failed to translate its arrogant claims about Android into money. And that’s what corporations are supposed to do. Google is failing in mobile hardware in a spectacular way, and the evidence is only becoming clearer. Plummeting ASPs are a bad sign for Android, the same as plummeting ASPs for PCs were a bad sign for Microsoft. 

That sounds more to me like sour grapes than a valid point.  ~80% is ~80%, you can justify it to yourself however you want, but it's a fact.  Apple can be happy marketing only to the elite class, but Google's operating system is being marketed to the masses and they're buying it.  Dunno what else to say about it.

post #236 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post
 

 

I do not condone theft and I would still like you to point out what exactly is copied. This is the first Android phone as far as I know and I don't see much in the way of similarities:

 

 

 

The similarities were removed at Steve Jobs' insistence. According to author Fred Vogelstein, Jobs demanded that Google remove UI elements that mimicked the UI of the iPhone from the initial version of Android, such as pinch-to-zoom and swipe-to-unlock. This reportedly angered Rubin, who felt Google had caved to Jobs. The story indicates that the Android that Andy Rubin wanted to ship (post iPhone) was very much a recreation of the iPhone, rather than something original that Rubin was trying to come up with himself.

 

The fact that the early Android versions (like the one that shipped on the G1) didn't look much like iPhone can't be taken as proof that copying didn't occur--we know anecdotally that it did--it just didn't ship that way.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #237 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you two are going to fight at least crack some jokes while you're doing it so the rest of us can be entertained 1biggrin.gif

Oh good. I'm not the only one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post

 I said they became uninnovative.  The last few iPhones have all be iterative improvements.  Samsung has at least tried adding a ton of features, and I admit many of them are gimmicks, but at least they're trying new things.  Some of them are great, like the S Pen functionality of the Note 3.

So whatever Apple does is iterative but whatever Sammy does is game-changing. Got it. You are so wrong. I'm not going to list all the innovations because that has been done by numerous posters on numerous threads already.
post #238 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post

That sounds more to me like sour grapes than a valid point.  ~80% is ~80%, you can justify it to yourself however you want, but it's a fact.  Apple can be happy marketing only to the elite class, but Google's operating system is being marketed to the masses and they're buying it.  Dunno what else to say about it.

Do you think Apple has a negative attitude toward the handset market because they've chosen not to make cheap, dumb handsets? You need to consider that Apple didn't have to make a high quality smartphone or make one so coveted that they hold their value. They could have started with a dumb phone at a fraction of the price to appeal to a lot more buyers so why didn't they? Have you considered that Apple only cares about the share of the market only if profits aren't going to suffer as a result? Furthermore, have you considered why Apple doesn't simply license their OSes for free so they could gain a higher OS marketshare? Of course not or you wouldn't have made the comments you're making.

BTW, Android isn't marketed to the masses unless you mean to nearly every other HW vendor. Remember that you're not Android's customer, you're Android's product. The HW vendors are Google's customers because they only get paid when they purchase their services for Android.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/17/14 at 4:11pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #239 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Oh good. I'm not the only one.
So whatever Apple does is iterative but whatever Sammy does is game-changing. Got it. You are so wrong. I'm not going to list all the innovations because that has been done by numerous posters on numerous threads already.

I am not trying to make an argument I'm trying to have a discussion.  I haven't seen much that was innovative from Apple lately barring a few things.  And Samsung is far from perfect either, but they're at least trying.  Apple has had a few feathers in their cap over the last say 4 iPhones, but that's a long time to have only a couple really unique features considering what they have done in the past with iPods, iPhones and iPads.  I guess my problem is I expect more from them because they're historically been the best of the best.  There was a time I badly longed for an iPhone because it was so unique and ahead of the curve.  I just haven't felt that way in a while.  Touch ID, Siri, that's really the best they've offered for a while and neither of them really scream "I need that!" to me.

post #240 of 299
Is anyone else surprised at the non-participation of GootorGuy in all this?

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple