or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 299
Pretty good rebuttal nachoking. Though we come from different positions I can't see the eulogising of Cook on here. And the ditto heads here don't matter either, most people who buy iPhones have no animosity towards google or MS ( most have Windows machines as is clear by the relative sales of iPhones to Macs). I have only Apple products and I dispair at the "80% of the market doesn't count" nonsense. DED could pour out his overblown prose on this site here as Apple declined to 1% of the market, and everybody here would be dittoing that market share doesn't matter, as they would be part of the 1%, but it does matter. It does.

Apple would do better to have angrier fans, hopefully it has saner management.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #82 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Federighi and Cue don't do a bad job though!

QFT. I like Federighi! People should watch his presentations from the WWDC sessions. Funny as hell. He's got the panache of Steve.
Android seems to be an illiterate product, as they only have numbers to show for.
Reply
Android seems to be an illiterate product, as they only have numbers to show for.
Reply
post #83 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
 


Google don't have a monopoly on searching.  I have been using DuckDuckGo for years and would only try google for 1 in 50 where DDG didn't deliver.  About the only thing I would consistently use google for is image searches.

 

To be fair, a monopoly doesn't mean every single person uses Google, just that the majority do. Considering Google own the literal word used for searching (Everyone I know says 'Just google it') then it'll take a lot to de-throne them.

 

I disagree with most of this article, especially the insults against anyone who would repeat a market share claim, because this seems to be a no true scotsman. If you don't think the reported numbers are accurate, where is the more accurate source that gives accurate numbers? I haven't seen any backing for this.

 

Apple is a special company, but special does not mean undefeatable. We know from Apple's previous problems that they need to remain ahead of the market and personally I don't think a TV or Watch is the right product to go for. I haven't used an iPhone with AppleTV other than just to stream a video to it but I cannot imagine that it will open a whole new world of apps or interactivity any more than say a simple games console.

post #84 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash View Post

Apple fanboy blogs seem to love talking about
Google and what google does, yet google,
android fanboy blogs seem to not give a dam.
Sites like android central, Google os, literally
pretends apple doesn't exist and Apple blogs
seem to have this weird hatred for Google, its
weird.


LOL, I've also just noticed this. It's so weird, this Google hate Apple blogs have

And yet Android fans need to come onto an Apple site. Last time I went on an Android site even the threads that marked as being on fire had any new posts for months.
post #85 of 299
Tim Cook does a better job of defending Tim Cook than DED. He says the phone market is 3 fold.

1) smartphones
2) smartphones used as feature phones.
3) feature phones.

And he sees Apple as top of number 1) in most countries except parts of Europe. He said they track those metrics so they do care about share, he also said they weren't interested in 3) but saw people in 2) moving to 1). And Apple was looking into that. Apple would take share as people moved to real smartphones. He also said Android wasn't one market which is true.

Some of this is self serving, none of it it inevitable but neither is it dismissing market share to concentrate on profit share. Because as a market commodifies that's the dumbest thing you can do. As Steve Jobs pointed out with regards the Apple being run by salesmen in the early 90's.

If Cook ever gave a DED speech the stock would tank.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #86 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post


And yet Android fans need to come onto an Apple site. Last time I went on an Android site even the threads that marked as being on fire had any new posts for months.

 

There's no need for bias either way. I'm both an Apple and Android fan and I come on this site for the Apple portion of my news. There are Android sites that have existed since before Android existed when they serviced Windows Mobile, such as XDA-Developers. If you want rapid activity there's a lot of crap out there but the idea that Android forums are all dead is incorrect.

post #87 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That's a COO job.
So? A COO is pretty damn important and many COO's have become CEO's. Steve Jobs wasn't an engineer or a designer. One could argue his best skll was being a great salesman.
post #88 of 299
Some posts on this thread are missing the mark when they try to pigeonhole Apple as a hardware company. At present Apple makes its big profits from hardware, but at the root of it is that Apple is a USER EXPERIENCE company. Hardware enables the superior user experience. Ecosystem. iTunes. Apps. These and other user experiences that Apple provides have disrupted markets and destroyed the companies whose fortunes were wedded to them. Look at the list of has-beens: Palm. Sony. CDs. DVDs. Blockbuster. PCs. GPS makers. Still and video photography. And more.

When Cook talks about new categories, he's going way beyond the scope of physical products. New approaches to biometrics can profoundly disrupt the present costly universe of healthcare diagnosis and treatment protocols. They can help us better maintain our health and perhaps live longer. Assistive technologies may help people better compensate for handicaps and disabilities, enabling them to live richer lives and reduce dependency on others. Better educational methods have never been more promising. New categories that broaden, deepen and enrich the user experience will yield amazing new products, from which Apple will continue to prosper.

Addendum: This article appeared almost simultaneously with my post and is a prime example in the medical diagnostics category.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/16/apple-secretly-met-with-tesla-ceo-elon-musk-also-working-on-tech-to-predict-heart-attacks
Edited by Kibitzer - 2/16/14 at 7:00am

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #89 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So? A COO is pretty damn important and many COO's have become CEO's. Steve Jobs wasn't an engineer or a designer. One could argue his best skll was being a great salesman.

Yes. That and more. He had taste ( which is a form of design skills) and pushed people to work hard. He also hired the best, I mean really that was a huge skill. He probably let Tim do his thing, which was operations. Now we have an operations guy as CEO and he is as good now as he was then at operations. Clearly there has been no net gain, though because we already had his operations skill. What more has been added?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #90 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Federighi and Cue don't do a bad job though!
Federighi is great, Cue not so much. Some people want Ive on stage but if he was good at it he'd be up there. I think there's a reason we see him in nearly every product video but not on stage. Clearly he's not comfortable speaking in front of a large audience. If Angela Ahrendts is as good as people say I hope she gets up on stage. It should be about who works the crowd the best. Right now the only one that does is Federighi.
post #91 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes. That and more. He had taste ( which is a form of design skills) and pushed people to work hard. He also hired the best, I mean really that was a huge skill. He probably let Tim do his thing, which was operations. Now we have an operations guy as CEO and he is as good now as he was then at operations. Clearly there has been no net gain, though because we already had his operations skill. What more has been added?
So no one at Apple besides Steve has taste? Or pushes people to work hard? Clearly you're suggesting Tim has neither of those skills.
post #92 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So no one at Apple besides Steve has taste? Or pushes people to work hard? Clearly you're suggesting Tim has neither of those skills.

Yes he doesn't have steve jobs skills. It's a strange world where this has to be pointed out. The best we can hope for is that Apple as a whole has been inculcated by Steve Jobs' DNA rather than one person. Do you think everybody at Apple ( or maybe you mean the world?) is equivalent to Jobs? There is a large list of Apple CEOs, past and present, who are not as good as Jobs - pretty much all of them except Jobs.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #93 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Federighi is great, Cue not so much. Some people want Ive on stage but if he was good at it he'd be up there. I think there's a reason we see him in nearly every product video but not on stage. Clearly he's not comfortable speaking in front of a large audience. If Angela Ahrendts is as good as people say I hope she gets up on stage. It should be about who works the crowd the best. Right now the only one that does is Federighi.
All well and good, but Apple's success stems from something more than America's Got Talent. Otherwise Simon Cowell could be CEO.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #94 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Federighi is great, Cue not so much. Some people want Ive on stage but if he was good at it he'd be up there. I think there's a reason we see him in nearly every product video but not on stage. Clearly he's not comfortable speaking in front of a large audience. If Angela Ahrendts is as good as people say I hope she gets up on stage. It should be about who works the crowd the best. Right now the only one that does is Federighi.

I'd have him up there all the time. Hosting. ( Maybe a few words from Cook to begin). Still not as good as Jobs though.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #95 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

[/spoiler]
<... />
Google is in trouble in 2020 when their search patent has expired, when that happens expect their revenue to be one third it is today....
remember that Apple makes tangible items, whereas (to steal /paraphrase a line from "the crazy ones" "simon roberts was here" eps. 14 i believe). google takes a lie and makes it into an ad ... and apple takes a truth and makes it into a product...

Google's current search algorithms will be superseded well before 2020 and their advertising tricks are currently being challenged..  Google is aware of that and is not standing still.  They are trying to diversify into new fields but with limited success so far...

post #96 of 299

Yes, Apple's the guy and Google is failing miserably...

Anything else?

post #97 of 299
Thank you Daniel. People and media have been fooled into some kind of undeserved Google worship and it's a stark contrast of reality. Google has had absolutely no innovation since the introduction of search. Everything has been acquisition. It's a given that they cannot innovate internally.
post #98 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoKingP View Post
 

Google Wallet didn't succeed because all the partners who were invested in Isis, including three of the four major US mobile carriers, did everything within their power to restrict Wallet's key feature, which is mobile payment via NFC.  As a matter of fact, Verizon went as far as to restrict installation of the app entirely on their smartphones, even those that didn't even have NFC.  It was a power play to prevent the death of Isis before it was even launched, because Google had their product ready first.

 

Then how come ISIS itself has not taken off?  MasterCard PayPass?  Visa Wallet?

  • Ease of use problems with pass codes and to many steps?
  • Security risks with lost of phones?
  • No better than the existing credit cards?
  • Minimal to no support from Point Of Sale vendors?
post #99 of 299
I think you are missing a couple of significant historical points. Apple got their ass kicked through most of their history by making better products. You can think of android as windows 3.1. Steve Jobs was in charge of (a) creation of something new, and (b) mastering business models. Without the later apple is destined to be HP... Or Sonos.
post #100 of 299
Google does have
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


Google don't have a monopoly on searching.  I have been using DuckDuckGo for years and would only try google for 1 in 50 where DDG didn't deliver.  About the only thing I would consistently use google for is image searches.

Google does have a monopoly on search in Europe as it constitutes over 80% share of the search market in Europe, far higher than here in the states. Plus Android is being investigated for anti competitive behavior as other competing and sometimes superior products are locked out due to the bundling of Google services in Android. Much like MS was forced to unbundle IE in Windows in the EU I look for Google to be forced to give Android users the option of hangin built in search and other services in Android!!!!

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply
post #101 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Apple has publicly outlined plans to expand into automotive with iOS in the Car, a business it has incrementally expanded into successfully over the past decade with iPod and iPhone integration.
Apple also appears to be strategically investing in wearables, a space that has been dominated by iPods, iPhones and iPad for many years.

Google, in contrast, has been hyping glasses that cause headaches, touting robotics acquisitions that have no obvious business model, and floating an interest in chasing Apple into the automotive and wearable arenas after doing such a poor job of capitalizing its cloning of the iPhone and iPad.
  • Google's driverless cars: 2010 and earlier.
  • iOS in the Car: unveiled at WWDC 2013.
  • Open Automotive Alliance (Android in cars): announced January 2014.

 

Google were involved in the automotive arena before Apple, and expanding from driverless cars running Google software to cars augmented with Google software is a fairly logical progression. 

 

 

  • Google Glass: 2011
  • iWatch rumours: 2012 / 2013
  • Google smartwatch rumours: 2013
  • Google's glucose-sensing contact lens: 2014

 

'Wearable' does not mean just 'smart watches'. To some extent, Google's not even moving in the same direction as Apple - they're investigating the watch side of things, but Glass and other optical devices are completely different to anything we're hearing about from Apple.

post #102 of 299
I am not sure that you can schedule innovation. While Apple has hired and kept on staff some of the smartest and most innovative people in the tech industry, I don't see Cook as a guy with a whip lashing his workers to come up with the "next big thing" every six months just to please the tech press circus. Creativity doesn't work that way and neither does Apple.
post #103 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

I disagree with most of this article, especially the insults against anyone who would repeat a market share claim, because this seems to be a no true scotsman. If you don't think the reported numbers are accurate, where is the more accurate source that gives accurate numbers? I haven't seen any backing for this.

Android fans always take it out of context. Every financial quarter, there are marketshare reports and they report the ratio of device sales over a 3 month period. Android fans then say things like 'why does iOS get exclusive apps when 80% of people use Android devices'. Smartphones have been around for 7 years, you don't assess ownership ratio from a 3 month sales period.

Apple has sold 700 million iOS units, Android has 1 billion activations as of the end of last year. The ratio between them isn't 20:80 and it's not close to that. The 1 billion includes everything Android too, which isn't just the premium smartphones and tablets Apple sells.

The description used in the article that it's a pacifier is very apt because it's always the stat claimed in defense of something people are unhappy about. When a new game comes out on iOS first, they say 'this developer clearly doesn't like making money then because Android has 80% marketshare'. It's a delusion in the face of the fact that games typically make developers more money on iOS, which wouldn't be the case with such a large share. Same goes for the device usage stats, the ad revenue stats and so on.

For Android to reach 80% marketshare (as in total marketshare, not marketshare in a 3 month period), they need to convince Apple's 600 million+ customers to part with their devices or consume the rest of the market. There's only at most 3.5 billion people who can afford a smartphone, probably a good bit less. 1 billion have Android products already, 700 million have iOS, give or take some broken hardware and returns. This leaves less than 2 billion. Say that Apple's total marketshare doesn't grow at all and Google reaches 3 billion activations while iOS is at 700m, that's pretty much 80% marketshare but Apple isn't going to stop selling devices and like I say, I don't think the remaining market is that big.

I would estimate that Android ownership will reach 2:1 vs iOS and plateau e.g 30% iOS (1 billion), 60% Android (2 billion), 10% other (300m between Windows Phone, RIM etc, this is likely optimistic). Manufacturers of all products are experiencing slowed growth. I don't know when this plateau might happen as it's heavily dependent on the developing countries but probably 5 years. Apple might decide to bring out lower cost phones to accelerate unit growth but it's at the expense of profits and it won't be necessary.

Android fans do the same thing Windows fans did. It was all about units, software support, raw hardware spec for the price. Steve Jobs acknowledged that Windows won that war but notice he didn't say the hardware manufacturers won. Right now, the hardware companies are struggling to stay above water and Apple recently mentioned that they are the only hardware company that survived since the start. This time with mobile, they nailed it because they have significant unit volume, they have the software support, they are forefront with specs (nothing like PPC vs Intel) and they have the mindshare.

The same thing is going to happen with hardware. Companies can't survive forever with losses. There's only two companies making profit: Apple and Samsung. Samsung doesn't have any allegiance to Android. They account for over 60% of all Android devices. They already customize Android to separate themselves from their competition. Apple still tops them in profit despite Samsung selling 2-3x the units.

It will hurt to hear but whether people like it or not, Apple will stand the test of time and they will as long as they lead the direction of the technology industry. The hopes of Android are pinned to a follower: Samsung, nothing more than a plagiarist. When they veer away from their leader and go their own way with the likes of the S4 and smartwatch, the results speak for themselves - disappointing.
post #104 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes he doesn't have steve jobs skills. It's a strange world where this has to be pointed out. The best we can hope for is that Apple as a whole has been inculcated by Steve Jobs' DNA rather than one person. Do you think everybody at Apple ( or maybe you mean the world?) is equivalent to Jobs? There is a large list of Apple CEOs, past and present, who are not as good as Jobs - pretty much all of them except Jobs.
He doesn't have what skills of Jobs? Taste? Attention to detail? I never said eveyone at Apple is equivalent to Jobs. But I'm not a Jobs sycophant who thinks only he had vision, taste, a focus on quality, etc. And for me the only Jobs skill that Cook is lacking is in showmanship. Very few could match Steve on stage selling a product.
post #105 of 299
I'm using safari and have not crashed ever on this site. Reinstall your software if not the whole OS
post #106 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippinglou View Post

I'm using safari and have not crashed ever on this site. Reinstall your software if not the whole OS

It's always the fault of the user huh?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #107 of 299
Mr. Dilger:

Thank you very much for writing. I have been saying some of the same things online for a very long time. Google's many many flaws have been ignored for years. Apple fails to meet unrealistic estimates and it is the end of the world. Unfortunately none of the negativism directed at Apple is new. Having been a Mac user/shareholder etc. since 1989 it's the same story different authors. Apple can't do this. Apple can't do that. The Newton is a flop. Who needs colored computers? Apple doesn't know anything about phones. The iPad? what is that a female product, etc. etc.

Unfortunately you are preaching to the choir as the saying goes. Those of us who have followed Apple for sometime understand this article and appreciate the work required to produce it. Those in the other camp will not alter their thesis no matter how many facts you provide.

Good work. Thank you.
post #108 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He doesn't have what skills of Jobs? Taste? Attention to detail? I never said eveyone at Apple is equivalent to Jobs. But I'm not a Jobs sycophant who thinks only he had vision, taste, a focus on quality, etc. And for me the only Jobs skill that Cook is lacking is in showmanship. Very few could match Steve on stage selling a product.

What evidence do you have that he has Jobs' taste or attention to detail. Jobs took a company which was bleeding to death, righted the ship, released OS X - the basis of all their success - on time; then when Apple was stable produced new and ground breaking products. Cook has taken over that company and as yet has done nothing in terms of innovation, is far too beholden to Wall Street ( buy backs and dividends would never have happened under Jobs - he never tried to prop up the stock). Cook may come good yet, we'll see this year.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #109 of 299
Delete
Edited by dasanman69 - 2/16/14 at 9:19am
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #110 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's always the fault of the user huh?

Of course it's the user's fault, if they didn't use it then it wouldn't crash. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #111 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

Much like MS was forced to unbundle IE in Windows in the EU I look for Google to be forced to give Android users the option of hangin built in search and other services in Android!!!!

Yes, but much like MS was forced to unbundle IE in Windows, Apple could be forced to open the platform to other browser and even to show an ugly ballot screen.
post #112 of 299
Excellent and beyond. Thanks.

There are two parts to your analysis, the insane/inane writing regarding Apple is one part, the refusal to look at Google correctly is the second. Even Horace D. says he can't figure out Google. Google is an OTP, one-trick pony. I hope sometime to see your inner pit-bull go after Google.
post #113 of 299

Ok Marvin this is a huge post and I don't want to give you the impression I'm skipping some of your arguments, so I'm just going to quote the major parts first.

 

Quote:
Apple has sold 700 million iOS units...they need to convince Apple's 600 million+ customers to part with their devices

There's a false assumption here, that units sold is approximately equal to users. This is clearly not the case because as you can see from posts here, many users have owned every single iPhone or every other iPhone. This would reduce Apple's users to ~150-200m, which is still a ridiculously high number of course. The same would be true for Android but as usual the situation is more complex. The numbers you quoted only include Google Play activations afaik, so a significant fraction of the market is missed off there, all Amazon or Xaomi or 'Other' devices are also included there.

 

Quote:
Android fans do the same thing Windows fans did. It was all about units, software support, raw hardware spec for the price. Steve Jobs acknowledged that Windows won that war but notice he didn't say the hardware manufacturers won. Right now, the hardware companies are struggling to stay above water and Apple recently mentioned that they are the only hardware company that survived since the start

You have to understand that I am coming from the perspective of a consumer. Whatever stocks I own would never be able to bring me as much money as my work, and so to me what matters is a lot of diversity and strong competition in order to make more and more advanced devices for less money. I have no doubt Apple will survive Android just fine, but if LG (Nexus 5) goes bankrupt tomorrow then I still have a choice of a bunch of different manufacturers and soon potentially even Windows phones will run Android apps.

 

Quote:
The hopes of Android are pinned to a follower: Samsung, nothing more than a plagiarist. When they veer away from their leader and go their own way with the likes of the S4 and smartwatch, the results speak for themselves - disappointing.

Samsung is little more than a copycat, although it's hard to really take the position that any company is truly 'innocent' in this regard. However Android is certainly not tied to Samsung, it is tied to the consumer demand for phones that Apple won't make and features Apple will refuse. One could also argue that Google's ecosystem is a very strong tie. This is why Samsung probably won't be able to break off and go their own way. I certainly wouldn't call the S4 disappointing. The Developer Edition is very nice indeed, and it's mostly the horrible software they add on rather than inferior hardware IMO.

 

In summary, I don't disagree with you, Android certainly doesn't have a total 80% marketshare. However, I still disagree with the OP because if you are to discount 80% share of new sales then you have to provide some actual evidence. You've staked a claim and you've supported it well, but these same statistics show Apple selling ~750,000 devices per day alongside just Google Activations of 1.5m devices per day. I know your argument is that this is not going to be sustained, but that is a matter of opinion and I refuse to predict the future one way or another.

 

Thanks for the detailed and thorough reply.

post #114 of 299
Excellent and beyond. Thanks.

There are two parts to your analysis, the insane/inane writing regarding Apple is one part, the refusal to look at Google correctly is the second. Even Horace D. says he can't figure out Google. Google is an OTP, one-trick pony. I hope sometime to see your inner pit-bull go after Google.
post #115 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

So...1confused.gif

Exactly. 👴

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #116 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

What evidence do you have that he has Jobs' taste or attention to detail. Jobs took a company which was bleeding to death, righted the ship, released OS X - the basis of all their success - on time; then when Apple was stable produced new and ground breaking products. Cook has taken over that company and as yet has done nothing in terms of innovation, is far too beholden to Wall Street ( buy backs and dividends would never have happened under Jobs - he never tried to prop up the stock). Cook may come good yet, we'll see this year.
What evidence do you have he doesn't? Or that Apple hasn't done anything innovative on his watch? 64-bit SOCs, touch id, retina Macs, nMP, iWork in the cloud, etc. you don't consider any of that innovative?

You sound like a typical Jobs sycophant.
post #117 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippinglou View Post

I'm using safari and have not crashed ever on this site. Reinstall your software if not the whole OS
Safari is crash happy on the iPad Air. It's certainly not unique to me.
post #118 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
 


Sadly, what I do now is to write my posts using Textedit (or whatever separate editor) and when I'm ready I simply copy/paste it into the post before the site gets an opportunity to crash my browser.  It's sad, but it's what I do.

Weird that the site crashes on my MBA (late 2011) consistently, yet is rock-solid on my 2009 iMac.  Both running Mavericks.  Figure that.

FWIW, I've been blown out of Safari when using my iPad 4 running iOS7 to write a Reply. Not so, however, in Safari with an '09 iMac and a late '08 MacBook, both running Mavericks. I'm guessing that it happens when others who are online at the same time as me will hit the Submit button to post their comments, while I'm still writing mine. Like you, my solution is to write my comments offline (using Notes on my iPad), then copy and paste into AppleInsider, then post. I wonder of it has more to do with some quirk in the AI Reply box than it does with Safari.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #119 of 299

DED. So great. Always well researched and served with a big dollop of verve and nerve.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations." George Orwell.

Best to let go of the market/media take on Apple. They all pray at the church of monopolies and purported monopolies. Or it's magical thinking, wishing upon a star. Or an addiction, saying the same thing over and over, hoping it will be true this time.

Anywhoo, it's like trying to mind-read pumpkins. As a great teacher once said about undergraduates, "Way down deep, they are shallow people."

Apple is the great antimonopoly. Why? Perhaps Steve Jobs watched from his desert island and saw Microsoft in its huge, deep hulled ship built to hold slaves, half sunken with cargo and cannons, headed for the rocks. (Now rudderless.)

Thanks but no thanks, said Jobs.

Besides that, in the real world, Google fools nobody but itself and its bootlickers. I know no one who trusts people who keep handing out free things. People are not as stupid as Larry and Sergey think.

Every new Google "deal" erodes our trust.

Me? I wonder in awe about that brilliant moment coming up, when Apple has a billion customers under its wing. A billion self-selected, creditcard-carrying, buck-paying peeps. A billion ... 1,000,000,000.00.

How can Apple be always wrong and get it that right?


Edited by Stef - 2/16/14 at 11:43am
post #120 of 299
It's a good article but some credibility is lost with language like this.
Quote:
you can confidently assume the author is an idiot who only repeats numbers he or she does not comprehend and hasn't given the subject even cursory thought.

Personal insults aren't acceptable in the comments, nor should they be found in the articles.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple