or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple secretly met with Tesla CEO Elon Musk; also working on tech to predict heart attacks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple secretly met with Tesla CEO Elon Musk; also working on tech to predict heart attacks

post #1 of 145
Thread Starter 
Apple over the past 18 months has been in aggressive pursuit of new technologies in potential growth markets that have reportedly seen the company orchestrate closed-door meetings with the nation's top electric car manufacturer while also trying its hand at developing technology that could help predict heart attacks.

Tesla


In a profile of Apple's mergers and acquisitions chief, Adrian Perica, and the company's 18-month acquisition spree, the San Francisco Cronical cites sources as saying that Perica met with Tesla CEO Elon Musk in Cupertino last spring around the same time that German analyst Adnaan Ahmad caused a stir by penning an open letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook that suggested he look into purchasing the electric automotive startup.

"I know this is radical and potentially 'transformative' but this would radically alter Apple's growth profile," Ahmad wrote at the time. "In Elon Musk, you could strike up a partnership and obtain a new iconic partner to lead Apple's innovation?drive."

It appears that Apple may have been a step ahead in the same direction:

Six months before Ahmad's letter, Musk met with Perica and probably Cook at Apple headquarters, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect business relationships. While a megadeal has yet to emerge (for all of its cash, Apple still plays hardball on valuation), such a high-level meeting between the two Silicon Valley giants involving their top dealmakers suggests Apple was very much interested in buying the electric car?pioneer.



Separately, the newspaper also claims to have discovered that Apple is heavily exploring medical devices, specifically sensor technology that can help predict heart attacks by studying the sound blood makes at it flows through?arteries.

This push has reportedly been led by Tomlinson Holman -- a renowned audio engineer who invented THX and 10.2 surround sound -- that Apple hired in 2011 to "provide audio direction."

Holman's role in Apple's medical ambitions is particularly intriguing because of his pioneering audio work in movies. As corporate technical director at Lucasfilm, Holman developed revolutionary THX technology that consistently reproduces high-quality sound in movie theaters and homes that most closely matches the original audio mix of?films.
...
But under Holman, Apple is exploring ways to measure noise "turbulence" as it applies to blood flow. The company wants to develop software and sensors that can predict heart attacks by identifying the sound blood makes as it tries to move through an artery clogged with plaque, the source?said.



Apple's interest in exploring opportunities in both the automotive and healthcare industries is believed to be part of a broader effort to re-ignite growth beyond the vision of late co-founder Steve Jobs.
post #2 of 145
As a Model S owner for slightly over a year I'd love to see Apple and Tesla work together in some capacity. The Model S is very Apple like in it's design and Tesla already has several ex-Apple employees anyways.
post #3 of 145
WORKING CLOSELY WITH MUSK =

GOAL TO PREVENT OR QUICKLY ADDRESS HEART ATTACKS

THIS IS A M A Z I N G DIRECTION - JOBS WOULD BE PROUD

MOST IMPORTANTLY - APPLE IS ON THE CUTTING EDGE CLEARLY - ALL OF THE "JUNK" COPYCATS ARE TOAST

APPLE DESERVES A MULTIPLE OF ABOUT 17 BASED ON THE INNOVATION AND PRODUCTS FORTHCOMING - FUTURE MUCH MORE VISIBLE - I EXPECT THAT WE WILL MOVE TO 15 MULTIPLE WITHIN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS AS THE "REPORTERS" CATCH UP TO WHAT WE SEE NOW
post #4 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

As a Model S owner for slightly over a year I'd love to see Apple and Tesla work together in some capacity. The Model S is very Apple like in it's design and Tesla already has several ex-Apple employees anyways.

Whatever Apple does, however it becomes involved with Tesla which would in my opinion be a very good move, Musk's fundamental involvement must be maintained. A partnership would be more productive than outright purchase. Tesla and Apple have very similar synergies and at some level would be a great fit. An aside, while I'd be more than happy to own a Model S, I think that the dashboard could use a little Apple redesign. (Guess I'm a fan of Musk, he is a genius though.)

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #5 of 145
Wait, they think that Cook possibly meeting with Musk was about BUYING Tesla? For real?

Do these idiots not know how Apple operates? I would imagine that Apple would have pushed for a strategic partnership, but it's not Apple's style to buy a company as a way of jumpstarting a new product category. That's Google's game.
post #6 of 145

A paper released not long ago (last year, year before - I'd have to search for it again if someone asked for a link) suggested that differential blood pressure, that is, the difference between blood pressure measured in two arms might be a much better predictor of heart condition than measurements made in a single limb. Might be oversimplifying to say, 'the greater the differential, the greater the risk', however, that was probably the thrust of the paper. The idea of using audio is simply fascinating though (to the uninitiated - me lol).

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #7 of 145

And, these 2 idiots

are working as hard to buy other companies

but still no clue what the f**k they should do with them ....

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #8 of 145

Hi.  I would like to buy the new iPhone.  "Yes Sir - would that be with or without the Tesla " ?

 

Sounds like a fit to me, and don't ever underestimate the vision(s) of Jobs and now Cook. I am sure their joint visions will have a major impact on the future of Apple. And getting Musk included would certainly be beneficial.

27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
Reply
27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
Reply
post #9 of 145

While the technology advances at Tesla are very interesting, they are never going to be a mass-market producer and the Market expects Apple to be a mass-market producer (for better or worse).   Tesla is more like Next - very high end, very esoteric, very expensive and few bought it.

 

I think if Apple bought Tesla, it would sink Apple's stock, in spite of the current hype over Tesla's stock.   (Or maybe I'm just envious because I'm never going to be able to afford a Tesla car and even if I did, have no place to recharge it anyway.)

 

On the other hand, although medical devices are also somewhat of a niche market (depending upon the device), I think that if Apple can get involved in this area in a sophisticated way (more than that accessory you stick into a Nike shoe), that's something that can pull Apple far away from Android and the other competitors.    But it has to be far more than predicting heart attacks because the primary market, relatively young people, don't think they're ever going to have a heart attack.     (A herpes sensor might be a great idea, though!)

 

I'm very interested in anything Tom Holman brings to the table.   I still have a 35 year-old Apt-Holman preamp and it still sounds better than any reasonably priced audio device out there today.   In some ways, it's very Apple-like:   a very sophisticated device that's very easy to use, but with even more flexibility than Apple normally builds into its products.   I'd love to see Holman working on ways to make the audio in Apple's devices sound much better - I think that's an area that's been ignored the last few years and again, it would give Apple a competitive advantage.   And if Apple is working on a television, Holman should design the audio capabilities.  

post #10 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuestateplanninglawyer View Post

WORKING CLOSELY WITH MUSK =

GOAL TO PREVENT OR QUICKLY ADDRESS HEART ATTACKS

THIS IS A M A Z I N G DIRECTION - JOBS WOULD BE PROUD

MOST IMPORTANTLY - APPLE IS ON THE CUTTING EDGE CLEARLY - ALL OF THE "JUNK" COPYCATS ARE TOAST

APPLE DESERVES A MULTIPLE OF ABOUT 17 BASED ON THE INNOVATION AND PRODUCTS FORTHCOMING - FUTURE MUCH MORE VISIBLE - I EXPECT THAT WE WILL MOVE TO 15 MULTIPLE WITHIN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS AS THE "REPORTERS" CATCH UP TO WHAT WE SEE NOW

You're a lawyer?

NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
post #11 of 145
There were at least three Teslas parked in the employee area of Apple's smallish parking lot in front of 1 Infinite Loop last summer. I am sure there must have been many more.

Despite its Android-based UI, there are clearly some Apple employees -- I am guessing senior management, since those seemed like prime parking slots -- that like the car.
post #12 of 145
It's Linux, not android, by the way.
post #13 of 145
Clearly the discussions with Tesla involve licensing tesla coils for use in wireless transmission.



/s
post #14 of 145
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverochs View Post

It's Linux, not android, by the way.

Yes, but compatible with Chrome, Android apps, and soon to have an Android emulator: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/tesla-model-s-to-get-app-support-and-chrome/
post #15 of 145

Yeah, here we go - a very L Ellison sounding quote -- Musk believes in the founder theory and Apple is done without Jobs... I hope Jobs biggest invention, Apple, lasts a long, long time.

 

"...saying that Apple will likely lose out to Google in the smartphone business "because (former Apple CEO Steve) Jobs is out of the picture."

He added that "it really makes a difference who runs the company. (Google CEO) Larry Page is quite good and probably in the long run will come out on top." - E Musk

post #16 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahlman View Post
 

You're a lawyer?

Careful, you're getting close to libel.  :-)

post #17 of 145

...Apple hired in 2011 to "provide audio direction."

 

I know the newspaper is moving forward with rumors about heart attack predictions, but it is the most incredible rumor NOT dealing with actual products (iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) nor dealing with rumored products (iWatch, TV) because it would be a MAJOR change in direction for Apple that could open new categories for the company!

 

On the Tomlinson Holman front, talk about using the man's audio background for something new. Monitoring the sound of blood flow! ABSOLUTELY ingenious!!

post #18 of 145
Quote:
Such a high-level meeting between the two Silicon Valley giants involving their top dealmakers suggests Apple was very much interested in buying the electric car pioneer.

I suspect market manipulation, because it doesn't suggest that at all, even if the meetings were actually proved to have happened.


Edited by Ireland - 2/16/14 at 9:03am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #19 of 145
There is so much speculation in this. Especially about the sound guy. Yeah he might have been working on this. He might have just be working on stuff to improve the sound in all Apple's stuff
post #20 of 145

Btw, heart disease, strokes and aneurysms may be caused by a lack of vitamin C. No joke. This is according to the only person to have won 2 unshared nobel prizes, Linus Pauling. After investigating this for some time and looking through years of research on the benefits of vitamin C Pauling theorised that it was actually a lack of L-ascorbic acid (otherwise known as vitamin C) in the body which caused the initial 'cut' to form inside the artery. And then subsequently it's just a matter of time while the body deliberate adds plaque to the injured area in an attempt to 'fix' the problem. The body mistakingly uses plaque to patch up the problem because it lacks the collagen to heal the tissue weakness. Guess what acid is used to make collagen? It's a very simple theory, and I'm going on the assumption that in the years to come it will be proven correct. Collagen strengthens skin, veins, arteries and other parts of the body. It's worth looking into.


Edited by Ireland - 2/16/14 at 9:28am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #21 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Whatever Apple does, however it becomes involved with Tesla which would in my opinion be a very good move, Musk's fundamental involvement must be maintained. A partnership would be more productive than outright purchase. Tesla and Apple have very similar synergies and at some level would be a great fit. An aside, while I'd be more than happy to own a Model S, I think that the dashboard could use a little Apple redesign. (Guess I'm a fan of Musk, he is a genius though.)

I'm content with the design of the dashboard, and that's coming from an avid iPad & iPhone user. The thing I'd like to see most is greater integration with Apple or Google maps and deeper integration when Slacker or another streaming music service.

I'm sure those updates will be coming soon. I love getting new firmware updates and new features in my car just like we do with our iPads and iPhones.
post #22 of 145
Incidentally, AI... "Cronical"? Is anyone there familiar with (A) Apple products with built-in spellcheck, or (B) English?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #23 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Yes, but compatible with Chrome, Android apps, and soon to have an Android emulator: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/tesla-model-s-to-get-app-support-and-chrome/

I can assure you, there is no App Store and no support for chrome.
post #24 of 145
Tesla is going mainstream soon. The price of the vehicle made for the masses will be in the $30,000 range. If the government keeps their tax credit, this vehicle will be affordable for 25-30% of the American families - maybe more.

If Tesla can keep the range in this vehicle above 100 miles, they will be selling them like hotcakes. I live in a town where Nissan Leaf is extremely popular - not sure why. I work from home, but every time I go for a short drive, I see 4 to 6 of t them within a 10 minute drive. Sometimes, they follow one another. So, the percentage of them is pretty high already, and they don't even go for longer than 80 miles.

This is the future, and the future is coming within a year or two.
post #25 of 145

I'm waiting with bated breath for the announcement tomorrow by Sammy that they're going to sell a new all-electric car, requiring only 32,000 AAA-size batteries.  (You can optionally use NiCd rechargeables!).  

 

Of course, delivery of the auto is yet-unscheduled, pending the design specs to be "borrowed" from Apple. 

/s.

 

ps: I note that TSLA has a market cap of only $42.3B.  Didn't Tim Cook recently say something about being willing to pay ten-figures to acquire the right company?  A 20% stake in Tesla Motors would likely be controlling interest, and would be within ten figures, so long as the first figure is an 8 or 9.  :)


Edited by TeaEarleGreyHot - 2/16/14 at 10:20am
post #26 of 145
Wow!
My best two companies in the world. I hope they forge some sort of cooperation.
post #27 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Btw, heart disease, strokes and aneurysms may be caused by a lack of vitamin C.

Oh no, they're meeting with the wrong company. They should be talking with http://www.orange.com not http://www.apple.com.

I like how the profile referenced asked 'what's in it for Tesla' for Apple to buy them. As per Tesla's latest annual filing (next one is in March):

"We have a history of losses and have to deliver significant cost reductions to achieve profitability in 2013 and long-term commercial success.

We incurred a net loss of $396.2 million for the year ended December 31, 2012. In addition, we have accumulated net losses of $1,065.6 million from our inception through December 31, 2012. We have had net losses in each quarter since our inception. Even if we are able to successfully maintain our current Model S production levels, there can be no assurance that it will be commercially successful.

In order to achieve profitability in 2013 as well as long-term commercial success, we must continue to achieve our planned cost reductions and control our operational costs while producing quality Model S vehicles at volume, maintain our Model S delivery rates to match our current and anticipated Model S production capacity, maintain strong demand for Model S, and achieve our planned cost reductions and control our operational costs. Failure to do one or more of these things could prevent us from reaching profitability."

No profit and a $24b market cap ( http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/89facf2a-3cec-11e3-a8c4-00144feab7de.html ). They reported a profit in a recent quarter but only under certain accounting rules:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/11/tesla-q3-2013/

The answer the profile gave for Tesla's benefit is that Apple has deep pockets to support the company. A $1b loss in Tesla's lifetime is not a big deal to Apple. But, could Apple's involvement turn it into a profitable company?

The key element of the Tesla is the power source. Once you have that figured out, it's a done deal - same with airline travel or other transport. Nobody has figured out how to generate enough electricity in a portable way using renewable energy so they have to build an infrastructure to efficiently and conveniently transfer energy. This means building charging stations and getting users to adopt the new procedures.

For electric cars to really take off, they need to overcome this hurdle. This means either figuring out how to build a portable generator or building a battery with a high enough energy density that you can carry it in your hand. That's not something you can rely on any brand name to come up with because of their history, it happens when it happens.
post #28 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Wow!
My best two companies in the world. I hope they forge some sort of cooperation.

 

And of course the auto they jointly market will be named the "Juice".  Not only as a colloquialism for electricity, but also as a sweet product of Apple that people can drink up!

post #29 of 145

Ironically, both Teslas and Apple products are infamous for catching fire XD

"And thus, the truth became known"
Reply
"And thus, the truth became known"
Reply
post #30 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There were at least three Teslas parked in the employee area of Apple's smallish parking lot in front of 1 Infinite Loop last summer. I am sure there must have been many more.

Despite its Android-based UI, there are clearly some Apple employees -- I am guessing senior management, since those seemed like prime parking slots -- that like the car.

Prime parking slots in Apple are for those who come earlier. V
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #31 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

 

And of course the auto they jointly market will be named the "Juice".  Not only as a colloquialism for electricity, but also as a sweet product of Apple that people can drink up!

I don't think so. Thanks to "Mr. Simpson" that nickname will always give "a negative return".    :devil: 

Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #32 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

And of course the auto they jointly market will be named the "Juice".  Not only as a colloquialism for electricity, but also as a sweet product of Apple that people can drink up!

Jean-Luc, you misspelt your username. There's one 'e' in Earl.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #33 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

Yeah, here we go - a very L Ellison sounding quote -- Musk believes in the founder theory and Apple is done without Jobs... I hope Jobs biggest invention, Apple, lasts a long, long time.

"...saying that Apple will likely lose out to Google in the smartphone business "because (former Apple CEO Steve) Jobs is out of the picture."

He added that "it really makes a difference who runs the company. (Google CEO) Larry Page is quite good and probably in the long run will come out on top." - E Musk



Nonsense. Apple thrived many times over since Steve Wozniak left. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #34 of 145
My opinion is that their meeting may have centered on batteries.

The Tesla uses the same type of battereis that we find in Apple devices.

In order to significant lower the cost of them, Musk already said that Tesla would probably build its own manufacturing plant for them. Now imagine that he could get Apple to partner on this endeavor (such as GT for sapphire) in order to have a very high production right from start to help utilize better the production capacity and reduce the batteries costs.

The 2 companies could even cooperate in order to improve the efficiency and capacity of them, before the plant starts de production, meaning exclusive technology that Tesla uses just for autos and Apple for computers, telecommunications and whereables, with no copycats possible without major lawsuits.

At least is what I would do.
post #35 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post


I'm content with the design of the dashboard, and that's coming from an avid iPad & iPhone user. The thing I'd like to see most is greater integration with Apple or Google maps and deeper integration when Slacker or another streaming music service.
 

Doesn't Tesla already use google maps for its navigation software? What sort of "greater integration" are you looking for?

post #36 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
 

Ironically, both Teslas and Apple products are infamous for catching fire XD

In the same way Earth is infamous for its planet-killing asteroids.  Happens very rarely, but some folks never forget.

post #37 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Jean-Luc, you misspelt your username. There's one 'e' in Earl.

 

No wonder you have 13,800+ posts. 

Leave me alone.

post #38 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

In the same way Earth is infamous for its planet-killing asteroids.  Happens very rarely, but some folks never forget.


Touché, though I never meant it as an offensive statement.

"And thus, the truth became known"
Reply
"And thus, the truth became known"
Reply
post #39 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXGPV View Post

My opinion is that their meeting may have centered on batteries.

The Tesla uses the same type of battereis that we find in Apple devices.

In order to significant lower the cost of them, Musk already said that Tesla would probably build its own manufacturing plant for them. Now imagine that he could get Apple to partner on this endeavor (such as GT for sapphire) in order to have a very high production right from start to help utilize better the production capacity and reduce the batteries costs.

The 2 companies could even cooperate in order to improve the efficiency and capacity of them, before the plant starts de production, meaning exclusive technology that Tesla uses just for autos and Apple for computers, telecommunications and whereables.

At least is what I would do.

Thank you! Your observation was my ah-ha moment. I could not think of a truly relevant reason whyApple would talk to Tesla. Batteries is a reason why Apple would talk to a Tesla!! Again, thank you!!!
post #40 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Jean-Luc, you misspelt your username. There's one 'e' in Earl.

 

No wonder you have 13,800+ posts. 

Leave me alone.

If you wish to be left alone, posting in a public forum is not the best idea. Just saying.

 

(I know, I have >12K posts.....some of us are old f4rts here, and the post count does build up. There is, unfortunately, no way to reset the count to zero and start afresh in AI. Let's see how many you have by 2021.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple secretly met with Tesla CEO Elon Musk; also working on tech to predict heart attacks