or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple design chief Jony Ive temporarily disappears from executive leadership directory [u]

Apple design chief Jony Ive temporarily disappears from executive leadership directory [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 78

Why did AI post this article *after* his photo had already been put back up on the web page?  Odd.  If you were looking to drive down stock prices so you could buy more stock on the cheap, you're out of luck as the markets are closed today.

post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

The chief designer has not made major changes to the design of the iPhone since iPhone 4, what do you expect? The lack of creativity has allowed the competition to increase the lead.

I assume you have an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5s in front of you to compare them. Or did you forget the /s tag?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #43 of 78
Quote:

The chief designer has not made major changes to the design of the iPhone since iPhone 4, what do you expect?

Apart from the weight, thickness, length, material, the entire back plate, antenna, headphone position, speaker grille, sync/charge connector, and probably more besides.

Yeah, you're right, they're all minor right?  Major would be... what?  Making the phone spherical?

censored

censored

post #44 of 78
LOL at Apple PR saying this was "not a big deal ". Seriously? One of your most valuable employees goes missing from your executive leadership page and it's not a big deal? In what universe?
post #45 of 78
Quote:

The chief designer has not made major changes to the design of the iPhone since iPhone 4, what do you expect? The lack of creativity has allowed the competition to increase the lead.

It does look pretty much the same from a distance with incremental improvements like faster/lighter, but there was some "non incremetal" improvements like the Retina screen and the touch ID. 

In terms of screen size, I would like a bigger screen too, but its not ground breaking innovation, but at least other devices wont have that "edge" anymore.

post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think the middle one is 'Bono'? from U2. Dunno who the one on the left is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

-WHOOSH-
I guess if you don't know Jony or Bono or Marc, you don't know Jack.

"Blessed Are the Clueless, for They Shall Inherit the Thread." 1biggrin.gif

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #47 of 78
AI needs to either pull this item completely or relegate it to a clearly disproven footnote under a huge correction. Thank god markets are closed today. Complete runs on a stock are made from such irresponsible reporting.
post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And what design changes has the competition made besides making the screen bigger? How difficult is that?

Agree. To some, design change is to make screen bigger. The truth is that some iPhone competitors made small phones like iPhone and these worked like $hit, so they had to increase the phone size to upgrade hardware for it to work better. 

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

post #49 of 78
It must have been a mistake somehow. Apple should make a statement to clarify and kill these speculations.
post #50 of 78
Hmm...interesting...Apple just happened to post 5 new job reqs for the Human Interface Group today. I remember reading that the HIG group was around ~20 or so employees. Unless most of them left after Forstall, that group has nearly doubled based on the number of job reqs posted in the last year or so.

wm08xy.jpg
post #51 of 78
I don't hold ill will to the guy, but I kinda hoped that it might be a sign that he's been taken away from having any GUI design leadership...
post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

It must have been a mistake somehow. Apple should make a statement to clarify and kill these speculations.

I don't think they need to. They'll end up responding to every tiny bit of moronic speculation that hits the web or Twitter.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #53 of 78
How is this news? You are better than this...
post #54 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I guess if you don't know Jony or Bono or Marc, you don't know Jack.

"Blessed Are the Clueless, for They Shall Inherit the Thread." 1biggrin.gif

I now know that the man on the left is called Marc and, judging from your comment, I don't need to know anything more about him.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

I don't hold ill will to the guy, but I kinda hoped that it might be a sign that he's been taken away from having any GUI design leadership...
so he gets one shot at non-hardware design and that's it?
post #56 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I now know that the man on the left is called Marc and, judging from your comment, I don't need to know anything more about him.

:lol:

post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Yeah but you don't trial and error update the production website of a Fortune 500 company.  Changes should go to a staging website, approved by an editor, approved by a QA team, then pushed to production.

I also never understood why the entire store needs to be taken completely down for hours just to update products.  
I really wonder if they do that simply for the drama of it. Anytime the store goes offline it garners attention.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #58 of 78
Easily explained. Ive is clearly hinting at a new ultra-minimal design paradigm for iOS 8.
So simple, so intuitive that you don't even see it. Nearly invisible, in fact.
Of course, you tell a web designer to do that to your executive profile and they'll just comment things out.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Yeah but you don't trial and error update the production website of a Fortune 500 company.  Changes should go to a staging website, approved by an editor, approved by a QA team, then pushed to production.

I also never understood why the entire store needs to be taken completely down for hours just to update products.  

It's called anticipation and is brilliant. What other web store can afford to shut down their website for a few hours.
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

He's English.
We don't smile into a camera unless we are drunk.
Quote:

Ok, then take a picture of him when he's drunk. 1biggrin.gif

That's what he looks like in the group shot... Drunk.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #61 of 78
Quote:

LOL at Apple PR saying this was "not a big deal ". Seriously? One of your most valuable employees goes missing from your executive leadership page and it's not a big deal? In what universe?

They really don't understand what it's like out here, with the constant nervous gibbering, do they?
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

They really don't understand what it's like out here, with the constant nervous gibbering, do they?
Ithink it is a big deal. My twitter feed was full of people freaking out and those who didn't know it as a holiday in the US wondering what it where the stock would open if he had resigned or been let go. I mean we're not talking about :smokey:Joe Schmo in the marketing department at Microsoft that nobody has ever heard of before. lol.gif Plus it appears the photo didn't go back up until after Apple was contacted about it.
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

I assume you have an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5s in front of you to compare them. Or did you forget the /s tag?

Nah, looks like the only thing he forgot was an '/idiotic post' tag.

post #64 of 78
This only confirms what I have long suspected.

Jony Ive is a ninja.

This makes him one of the few individuals ever to achieve knight-ninja status.
post #65 of 78
He was just having a "Wonderful Life" moment and getting to see how Apple and the world would be without him. Fortunately he came to his senses and stopped asking for that raise before Tim sent a new contract to Frog Designs.
post #66 of 78

In the one where he stays off the page, is all.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #67 of 78
Is the byline "AppleInsider Staff" because the author is too embarrassed to admit to being such a busybody?
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Is the byline "AppleInsider Staff" because the author is too embarrassed to admit to being such a busybody?

One of DED's many guises.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

So, this is what passes for Apple news.  Wow.  It's all over the internet so I guess a lot of people think it's important.

It's concerning that it is but it's a result of making Ive the most important figure at Apple. The same happened with Steve Jobs. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

On the one hand it's nice to see the face behind the products but when we know that face is gone, it brings in an uncertainty that the company can keep doing the same things. You very rarely see the same people at Sony, Samsung, Microsoft etc and even if you see them, they aren't built up to be irreplaceable.

That's why I think that in choosing to have public faces, they should have more faces because one day (even if it's in 20 years), Ive will leave or retire and people won't know or trust the next generation. Steve made sure to do that but it was done late and the handover to Tim Cook was done at very short notice and we'd hardly ever seen Tim Cook before.

Thing is though, nobody would bother if it was say Eddy Cue or Dan Riccio. Phil yes, Jony yes, Craig yes, Tim yes but the others don't have much of a public identity. A solution would be to give more importance to the others or less to the main four but I don't think it's something that's easily controlled.

Anyway, what I'm more interested in is who Jony Ive has been unfollowing on twitter. Anything newsworthy there?
post #70 of 78

Perhaps he joined Paul McCartney in Heaven.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's concerning that it is but it's a result of making Ive the most important figure at Apple. The same happened with Steve Jobs. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

On the one hand it's nice to see the face behind the products but when we know that face is gone, it brings in an uncertainty that the company can keep doing the same things. You very rarely see the same people at Sony, Samsung, Microsoft etc and even if you see them, they aren't built up to be irreplaceable.

That's why I think that in choosing to have public faces, they should have more faces because one day (even if it's in 20 years), Ive will leave or retire and people won't know or trust the next generation. Steve made sure to do that but it was done late and the handover to Tim Cook was done at very short notice and we'd hardly ever seen Tim Cook before.

Thing is though, nobody would bother if it was say Eddy Cue or Dan Riccio. Phil yes, Jony yes, Craig yes, Tim yes but the others don't have much of a public identity. A solution would be to give more importance to the others or less to the main four but I don't think it's something that's easily controlled.

Anyway, what I'm more interested in is who Jony Ive has been unfollowing on twitter. Anything newsworthy there?

At this point I would appreciate a normalization of executive turnover. Put a focus on Apple design, not Forstall design or Ive design.
post #72 of 78
Where is Angela Ahrendts?
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

In bed.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Still working for Burberry.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Still working for Burberry.

Yep. When she's not in bed.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Mark Gurman for sure. 1biggrin.gif
post #77 of 78

Who is Mark Gurman?

post #78 of 78
Quote:

Ok, then take a picture of him when he's drunk. 1biggrin.gif

He does look a bit wobbly...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple design chief Jony Ive temporarily disappears from executive leadership directory [u]