or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Advertisers criticize Apple for holding back customer targeting data in iAd campaigns

Advertisers criticize Apple for holding back customer targeting data in iAd campaigns - Page 3

post #81 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Good. Keep the ads value lower (not zero, just less) but keep my privacy too. Apple doesn't depend on selling personal info.
"aggregated, non-personally identifiable information" is pseudo-comforting language, carefully chosen to placate if you don't think too hard about it or follow the money.

Google is forming detailed profiles on you and every user they can. They may identify you with a number, username, email address and YouTube name, rather than your real name (which they probably also know) but it's still specifically tied to you. They don't just know that "some 27-year old male" searched for a divorce lawyer. They know that one specific one did--the same one that reviews his favorite restaurants on the west side of Chicago, and posts videos to YouTube from a California trip once a year, and has a given list of friends and family, and has a certain political leaning, and owes money on both a mortgage and a car loan, and fits the statistical profile of someone at risk for gambling problems.

That's on a whole different scale than what Apple collects, and is worth a ton of monetary value. And then Google shares more of that with advertisers than Apple does. And makes it less easy to opt out. In fact, Google has been caught intentionally bypassing people's opt out (Safari cookies).

When I'm using a web site and Google-served ads are showing me things based on searches I did two weeks ago, while iAds are not.... yes, I hope Google tolerators see the light more and accept less of that kind of tracking. (I point the same finger at Facebook.) That's to say nothing of cases where your data is shared OUTSIDE the official privacy policy: by bad employees or by hackers, for example. An unavoidable side effect if deep tracking is where your income comes from. Privacy is the enemy to Google's business model.

I'm much more comfortable being the customer who pays for something, instead of the product being sold.

Good post. I've been using Yahoo search for a couple of years now, having used Google all the time before. It's fine; I've never struggled finding things.
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 2/19/14 at 4:42am
post #82 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I mean, $250M is what?  A few hours of revenue for Apple overall?  Google's activities are different because they are an advertising company.  Apple could lose all that $250M per year of revenue, and barely notice.  Advertising revenue for Google, OTOH, represents 90% of their total.

EDIT: Just to put this in perspective, Apple's revenue for 2013 was $55.60 billion.

You're $100,000,000,000 or so out on your revenue figure.
post #83 of 90

Here's an obvious question that for some reason hasn't seem to be asked on this site. Can anyone here who has actually used Google ads tell us what kind of customer data they get access to? 

post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You act like Google is the only one. Don't you get mailings for pre - approved credit cards, or for better insurance rates? Your info is being sold all the time and way before Google ever existed. I applaud Apple for their privacy standards, but they're the exception not the norm.

While true, Googs has access to a lot more info than these mailers.
post #85 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

While true, Googs has access to a lot more info than these mailers.

I'm pretty sure Google doesn't have my full name, address, financial records, and my insurance information.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #86 of 90
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Google doesn't have my full name, address, financial records, and my insurance information.
Do they have the contents of your email? Your search history? A list of your friends? Your likes? Your map history? Your starting point for directions? Your wifi data?
post #87 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Do they have the contents of your email? Your search history? A list of your friends? Your likes? Your map history? Your starting point for directions? Your wifi data?

No but all that is secondary compared to my real life data. I can hide my tracks online.
post #88 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're $100,000,000,000 or so out on your revenue figure.

Oh man, I was tired when I posted that.  The $55.6B was profits.

You're right of course.  I really need to pay more attention when I post. :)  Thanks.

post #89 of 90
Quote:

No but all that is secondary compared to my real life data. I can hide my tracks online.

This isn't a criticism at all, just an observation.  This is the sort of thing I see all the time time on tech sites.  You can do that, yes.  I can.  Most of us can.  But how many people who, say, need the Finder explained to them in extreme detail, or have "123456" or "password" as their password can?

I think a lot of us on tech sites tend to project onto the general population.  It's like, "Well, that's no problem.  Just root your phone, d/l Cynagenmod, do x, then y, restart the phone, do z and you're all set."

post #90 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

This isn't a criticism at all, just an observation.  This is the sort of thing I see all the time time on tech sites.  You can do that, yes.  I can.  Most of us can.  But how many people who, say, need the Finder explained to them in extreme detail, or have "123456" or "password" as their password can?

I think a lot of us on tech sites tend to project onto the general population.  It's like, "Well, that's no problem.  Just root your phone, d/l Cynagenmod, do x, then y, restart the phone, do z and you're all set."

I agree. Lately it seems that our password keepers (websites) are getting hacked with increased frequency, which renders the most secure password useless.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Advertisers criticize Apple for holding back customer targeting data in iAd campaigns