or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple working on 4.7", 5.6" iPhones for release in Q3 2014

Rumor: Apple working on 4.7", 5.6" iPhones for release in Q3 2014 - Page 3

post #81 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananafoot View Post

You miss my point. I personally will not be buying another iPhone if they do not increase the screen size. Apple will obviously continue to have success. I have a work computer (Macbook Pro) and I have an iPhone. I cannot justify buying an iPad when I feel I should be able to do everything I could do on it on my phone. I want a phone big enough to sit and play games and browse the web and watch videos without having to lug around my work computer or spend even more money on an iPad. Squinting at a 4" screen or constantly having to use two fingers to zoom in and out on every article is annoying as hell.(so much for one handed use) I literally do not use my iPhone unless I absolutely have to, because it's such an annoyance. This is my own personal experience, but I don't think it's unique. I prefer Apple's UI but I want the big screen more than I want a pretty presentation.

I am exactly the same and I suspect there are millions more just like us. I know a lot of people with iPhones and not once when this topic was discussed have I ever heard anyone say they were happy with the small display. In fact only on AI do these people seem to exist. On other Mac websites there is overwhelming support for larger displays. 

post #82 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am exactly the same and I suspect there are millions more just like us. I know a lot of people with iPhones and not once when this topic was discussed have I ever heard anyone say they were happy with the small display. In fact only on AI do these people seem to exist. On other Mac websites there is overwhelming support for larger displays. 

And yet the iPhone is #1 on the US big 4.
post #83 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I'd guess that a 4.7" iPhone would outsell it. (Keyword "guess")
melior diabolus quem scies
post #84 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd guess that a 4.7" iPhone would outsell it. (Keyword "guess")

A new one would always outsell the old one. I hope Apple still releases a 4" if they do release a 4.7" ish one. With the same specs of course. We'll see who "wins" then.
post #85 of 153
Quote:

A new one would always outsell the old one. I hope Apple still releases a 4" if they do release a 4.7" ish one. With the same specs of course. We'll see who "wins" then.

Thats' kinda what I was getting at. I'd guess that if Apple were to release a 4.7" iPhone and still offer a 4" alongside it the larger display would be the better seller.
post #86 of 153
Quote:

Which means nothing since you have no idea how many of these are disgruntled and want a larger display but opted for an iPhone because of their desire to stay with iOS or other factors. Eventually if Apple doesn't offer a larger display people will decide to stop waiting and give Android a shot. We will see who was correct once a 4" iPhone has to compete with a 4.8"ish iPhone. I would be beyond shocked if the larger one doesn't blow the teensy tiny one away in sales. The one possibility that might lower sales is pricing for a larger one. If Apple prices the larger one far higher that would certainly lower demand. Once I have my next upgrade available my 5s will go on Ebay that same day and I will get a larger iPhone if one exist and if not go with one with at least a 5" screen as I should have done instead of suffering with the 5s pathetically small display these last few months. I will never ever buy any phone with a display smaller than 4.7" again. 

post #87 of 153
Quote:

Which means nothing since you have no idea how many of these are disgruntled and want a larger display but opted for an iPhone because of their desire to stay with iOS or other factors. Eventually if Apple doesn't offer a larger display people will decide to stop waiting and give Android a shot. We will see who was correct once a 4" iPhone has to compete with a 4.8"ish iPhone. I would be beyond shocked if the larger one doesn't blow the teensy tiny one away in sales. The one possibility that might lower sales is pricing for a larger one. If Apple prices the larger one far higher that would certainly lower demand. Once I have my next upgrade available my 5s will go on Ebay that same day and I will get a larger iPhone if one exist and if not go with one with at least a 5" screen as I should have done instead of suffering with the 5s pathetically small display these last few months. I will never ever buy any phone with a display smaller than 4.7" again. 

How long have other vendors have larger phones than the iPhone? I never heard of a disgruntled purchase before. If size is so important, go get it elsewhere. The avg consumer doesn't care too much.
post #88 of 153
Quote:

How long have other vendors have larger phones than the iPhone? I never heard of a disgruntled purchase before. If size is so important, go get it elsewhere. The avg consumer doesn't care too much.

In a few months we will see who was right. 

post #89 of 153
Quote:

In a few months we will see who was right. 

No, no you won't because your premise doesn't allow for any testing that can be verified to support your position.

You stated, "Which means nothing since you have no idea how many of these are disgruntled and want a larger display but opted for an iPhone because of their desire to stay with iOS or other factors. Eventually if Apple doesn't offer a larger display people will decide to stop waiting and give Android a shot."

You clearly admit that customers are choosing iOS but you created a hypothetical that they are disgruntled because they do want a larger display. Perhaps they are disgruntled but perhaps they aren't disgruntled but would also like to have a larger display option. You don't count that as a possibility even thought that seems to be the most common desire I've read by posters on AI.

Regardless, all that sounds reasonable (enough) until you then make some leap that people will decide to jump to Android even though you've stated they are disgruntled and still buying the iPhone since Android-based vendors started making huge phones to house the batteries needed to support the first gen LTE chips.

So how exactly do you rationalize that iOS moving from the 3.5" or 4" iPhone to a larger iPhone means these iOS users would instead have jumped to Android had Apple not introduced a larger size iPhone display?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #90 of 153

I really was hoping for a smaller iPhone - "iPhone mini."

Maybe something in the 2.5" to 3" range. I think going larger gets close to intersecting with iPad.

Perhaps using the light function to project a keyboard on an external flat surface.

A sleeker, lower profile iPhone would be a big hit.

Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #91 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

I really was hoping for a smaller iPhone - "iPhone mini."

Maybe something in the 2.5" to 3" range. I think going larger gets close to intersecting with iPad.

Perhaps using the light function to project a keyboard on an external flat surface.

A sleeker, lower profile iPhone would be a big hit.

It's funny, most phones in the world have smaller displays than the iPhone but I only hear about marketshare numbers when it comes to Android and then seemingly get misattributed to large Android phones which don't appear to be the most commonly ones sold even if they are the flagship models from vendors.

post #92 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's funny, most phones in the world have smaller displays than the iPhone but I only hear about marketshare numbers when it comes to Android and then seemingly get misattributed to large Android phones which don't appear to be the most commonly ones sold even if they are the flagship models from vendors.

US screensize distribution according to Kantar:
http://www.statista.com/topics/840/smartphones/chart/1396/android-phone-sales-by-screen-size/
"According to data provided by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, only 16% of Android smartphones sold in the United States between April and June this year were equipped with screens smaller than 4 inches in diagonal. More importantly, 55 percent of Android phones sold sported significantly larger screens of 4.5 inches or more."

...and this one adds fuel to the rumors that Apple is coming out with bigger display iPhones.
"Apple’s entry, once confirmed, means the electronics giant will join other smartphone original equipment manufacturers (OEM) in pursuing larger displays for new smartphones, a segment that will see worldwide volume quadruple this year. Global shipments of smartphone displays bigger than 4.5 inches diagonally are expected to reach nearly 431 million units by year-end, up from about 99 million units 2012."
http://www.isuppli.com/Display-Materials-and-Systems/MarketWatch/Pages/Apple-Joining-Rapidly-Expanding-Market-for-Larger-Sized-Smartphones.aspx
post #93 of 153
Quote:

http://www.statista.com/topics/840/smartphones/chart/1396/android-phone-sales-by-screen-size/
"According to data provided by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, only 16% of Android smartphones sold in the United States between April and June this year were equipped with screens smaller than 4 inches in diagonal. More importantly, 55 percent of Android phones sold sported significantly larger screens of 4.5 inches or more."

...and this one adds fuel to the rumors that Apple is coming out with bigger display iPhones.
"Apple’s entry, once confirmed, means the electronics giant will join other smartphone original equipment manufacturers (OEM) in pursuing larger displays for new smartphones, a segment that will see worldwide volume quadruple this year. Global shipments of smartphone displays bigger than 4.5 inches diagonally are expected to reach nearly 431 million units by year-end, up from about 99 million units 2012."
http://www.isuppli.com/Display-Materials-and-Systems/MarketWatch/Pages/Apple-Joining-Rapidly-Expanding-Market-for-Larger-Sized-Smartphones.aspx

In the US, sure, but the US has a high adoption rate of smartphones and higher-end Samsung devices dominate the Android-based market. But what about the rest of the world? This is where having anything that is technically running Android can hurt Google's numbers because all those devices that should be counted as smartphones are now counted as smartphones.

post #94 of 153
Quote:

This is for the US where Apple has 40% MS, I believe. So let's say Android has the remaining 60%. So 55% of that is only 33% of the total US "smartphone" market.
And of course I won't harp on the shipments/ sold issue. And of course no one is ever wrong on predicting future tech trends.
post #95 of 153
Quote:

Exactly. And the last thing I want to see is a ginormous LCD screen on an iPhone, making it as uncomfortable to carry in a pocket as that Android crap.

Why follow Android? Let's move in our own direction.

An iPhone Mini would have a great market IMHO. Personally, I think the iPhone is too large now. Think sleeker & more low profile.

Years ago it used to be that the smaller the phone, the cooler it was. I owned one of these A100's from Panasonic & it was the most convenient cell phone I ever toted around.

I would buy several iPhone 6 Mini's....

post #96 of 153
Quote:

Exactly. And the last thing I want to see is a ginormous LCD screen on an iPhone...

I welcome the option.

Even though the anti-Apple crowd said the iPhone was too big back in 2007 and then changed their position (probably not in an honest manner) when the large screen Android-based devices hit the market, I do believe that the culture has changed that a larger display is appealing to a growing majority.

I think this actual, cultural change — not those that support whatever Apple isn't doing — happened after the 2010 release of the iPad. I think people are no longer seeing these devices as simply phones or as PMPs with phones, but actual replacements for the majority of their computing needs. For that reason I think the larger display is a benefit for the increased utility they offer.

I do think Apple is nearing the release larger display on an iPhone but I wonder about a few things. What is the ideal size? What is too big for a pocketable device? Note these questions are not answered by answered by referring to the display size on the diagonal but rather the physical dimensions and weigh of the device itself. I think Apple's solution will offer a larger display without making the device much larger. You can look at the iPhone 4S v iPhone 5 to see how Apple was able to evolve to a larger display without making it lighter and use less volume. Only one axis was longer and that's the one that didn't affect the ability to slide in and out of a pocket.

Unfortunately, even if Apple can work miracles to make it smaller than even the iPhone 5S in volume they will still get deemed copycats and misquoted comments from Jobs will riddle threaten to bring down the internet.

post #97 of 153
Quote:

In the US, sure, but the US has a high adoption rate of smartphones and higher-end Samsung devices dominate the Android-based market. But what about the rest of the world? This is where having anything that is technically running Android can hurt Google's numbers because all those devices that should be counted as smartphones are now counted as smartphones.

Heck, how many iPhones did Apple ship last year in total? If I'm correct it was around 150M. That's roughly just a third of the estimated 430M smartphone displays larger than 4.5" shipped last year.
post #98 of 153
Quote:

How many iPhones did Apple ship outside of the US? Heck, how many in total last year for that matter? How does that number compare to the estimated 430M smartphone displays larger than 4.5" shipped last year?

1) We know the majority of iPhones are sold out the US.

2) Only 430 million phones with displays larger than 4.5" were sold in 2013? That low? How does that compare to Android activations were there in 2013?

post #99 of 153
Quote:

How many iPhones did Apple ship outside of the US? Heck, how many in total last year for that matter? How does that number compare to the estimated 430M smartphone displays larger than 4.5" shipped last year?

One thing we learned being Apple developers is that Apple doesn't care what the competition is doing. They don't care.

They didn't care when they had a 4% market share, and they don't care now.

Their goal is to invent & lead, not follow. So, we learned to stop worrying about such stuff & think in different terms.

post #100 of 153
Quote:

1) We know the majority of iPhones are sold out the US.

2) Only 430 million phones with displays larger than 4.5" were sold in 2013? That low? How does that compare to Android activations were there in 2013?

At midyear Google was touting 1.5 million per day. So maybe 600-700M? Dunno what they are claiming for 2013 numbers in total as I don't see anywhere they've stated one.
post #101 of 153
Quote:

One thing we learned being Apple developers is that Apple doesn't care what the competition is doing. They don't care.

They didn't care when they had a 4% market share, and they don't care now.

Their goal is to invent & lead, not follow. So, we learned to stop worrying about such stuff & think in different terms.

LOL...
Of course Apple cares.
If they didn't care then Apple execs wouldn't try to belittle them IMHO.

If they didn't care they wouldn't be doing internal studies on why people choose an Android phone over the iPhone.

If they didn't care they wouldn't be so aggressive in patenting anything and everything and using those patents against other smartphone manufacturers they consider competitors. Too, if a manufacturer isn't competing with Apple all that much they're probably safe from Apple infringement suits.
Edited by Gatorguy - 2/21/14 at 10:23am
post #102 of 153
Quote:

Apple doesn't really even compete in the sub $200 market. Heck they don't really even compete in the sub $400 market much either. But for phones that sell over $400 there is a clear trend towards larger displays. In fact are there any Android phones selling for more than $400 with a screen smaller than 4.5"? It is also not like all those poor people in the 3rd world want a 3.2" Android either, it is just that is all they can afford. Once larger displays drop in price they will likely disappear completely. The small iPhone was fine when most of what you did was talk and text but once people started spending more time using apps and staring at the display for an extended time that display became an annoyance. 

I don't think that there is such a thing as a perfect phone nor will there ever be. Regardless of what you buy you will have to make compromises and sacrifice one feature or another that perhaps another phone offers or does better than the one you chose. Buying a phone is just a matter of adding up all the plusses and minuses and choosing the one with more pluses. For me I thought that Apple quality, iOS, certain iOS only apps, the easy backup and syncing with my Mac all added up to more plusses than minuses when compared to choices which at the time were the Samsung S4 or HTC One. My biggest complaint has been the small screen which makes it far harder to use. I don't regret the decision because I made the right call at that time. But things have changed since then. Kit lat looks very appealing. Apps that I use quite a lot did not offer an Android version at that time or if they did would not allow you to transfer your account to the Android version. This is no longer the case. I could now switch to Android and be able to use all the apps I enjoy now for the very first time. Suddenly the plusses and minuses are pretty much balanced. Don't get me wrong I love Apple and iOS and I couldn't be happier with my iPad. But I will not suffer through another year with a display that makes it far too hard to read fixed type fonts in games and other apps that cannot be zoomed out easily or makes reading websites very tedious since the display shows so little of the page.  Luckily for me it seems I will be able to eat my cake and icing since Apple will release a larger display this year. All my other complaints like lack of other keyboard options are minor quibbles I can live with. But the size of the display is non-negotiable for me the next time around. If Apple makes a larger one they will continue to have my business and if not then it is off to an Android phone for me. 

post #103 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananafoot View Post

You miss my point. I personally will not be buying another iPhone if they do not increase the screen size. Apple will obviously continue to have success. I have a work computer (Macbook Pro) and I have an iPhone. I cannot justify buying an iPad when I feel I should be able to do everything I could do on it on my phone. I want a phone big enough to sit and play games and browse the web and watch videos without having to lug around my work computer or spend even more money on an iPad. Squinting at a 4" screen or constantly having to use two fingers to zoom in and out on every article is annoying as hell.(so much for one handed use) I literally do not use my iPhone unless I absolutely have to, because it's such an annoyance. This is my own personal experience, but I don't think it's unique. I prefer Apple's UI but I want the big screen more than I want a pretty presentation.

I didn't miss a thing.  I see people like you here every day.  "I love Apple, but ...."

Here's a hint:  If you have to qualify something like that, the statement itself is worthless.  And honestly, if you're squinting at an iPhone screen, then you need to see an optometrist.  I mean, I have 20/10 vision, so maybe I'm not a perfect example.  But still, you really need help if you can't see what's on an iPhone screen.

post #104 of 153
Quote:

LOL...
Of course Apple cares.

If they didn't care they wouldn't be doing internal studies on why people choose an Android phone over the iPhone.

If they didn't care they wouldn't be so aggressive in patenting anything and everything and using those patents against other smartphone manufacturers they consider competitors. Too, if a manufacturer isn't competing with Apple all that much they're probably safe from Apple infringement suits.

You have a copy of these internal studies? The only time Apple is "worried" about others is when they infringe on Apple's IP.
post #105 of 153
Quote:

You have a copy of these internal studies? The only time Apple is "worried" about others is when they infringe on Apple's IP.

Well of course I do. Just because they don't advertise it doesn't mean they don't do 'em.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57492264-37/apple-study-android-buyers-wanted-to-stand-by-their-carrier/
post #106 of 153
Quote:

At midyear Google was touting 1.5 million per day. So maybe 600-700M? Dunno what they are claiming for 2013 numbers in total as I don't see anywhere they've stated one.

430 million of 600-700 million Android-based devices being over 4.5" seems extremely high to me. I could see if 70% of higher-end Android-based devices are 4.5" but not all devices using Android.

post #107 of 153
Quote:

430 million of 600-700 million Android-based devices being over 4.5" seems extremely high to me. I could see if 70% of higher-end Android-based devices are 4.5" but not all devices using Android.

That est. 430M didn't claim to be only Android phones. There would have been a few million Nokia's as well as no-name chinese phones among others. In any event 430M 4.5" plus smartphone display's is pretty significant.
post #108 of 153
Quote:

That est. 430M didn't claim to be only Android phones. There would have been a few million Nokia's as well as no-name chinese phones among others. In any event 430M 4.5" plus smartphone display's is pretty significant.

Yes it is and how many current iPhone owners would choose a larger iPhone if that were an option. Not to mention people that already defected to Android or won't consider an iPhone now because it is too small.  I am guessing a very sizable number assuming Apple doesn't price it far more expensive which is a strong possibility. A 4" iPhone would likely sell in far lower numbers than a 4.8" iPhone if they had the same specs and price. 

post #109 of 153
Quote:

Anecdotally it doesn't seem like the majority of devices classified as cellphones are 4.5" or greater. As I stated earlier I think the culture has changed and I think technology finally allows for larger displays without having a significantly larger device so I think it's highly likely Apple will release a larger 16:9 iPhone, but so far the only 4.5" devices seem to be the higher-end non-Apple smartphones which don't appear to come close to being the majority of units being sold.

post #110 of 153
Quote:

LOL...
Of course Apple cares.

Of course they don't. We sat around a conference room table stunned when they told us POINT BLANK they didn't care. We wanted to build a product, and they wouldn't allow us to interface, and our engineer said "So-and-so's doing this with blankety-blank phones, and we want to offer it, too." Whereupon the Apple manager told us, "We don't care what the competition is doing. This is how it's going to be."

post #111 of 153
Quote:

your premise doesn't allow for any testing that can be verified to support your position.

How about this then:

I skipped the 4S, the 5, and the 5S because I keep waiting for an iPhone with a bigger screen. I won't pay $900 for something that isn't what I want.

So, if I finally buy a new iPhone this fall, you will have verifiable evidence that the larger screen is more desirable than the smaller one, that the existence of the larger screen has increased sales (by one), and that buyer is flocking in drove to the new form factor.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #112 of 153
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

if I finally buy a new iPhone this fall, you will have verifiable evidence that the larger screen is more desirable than the smaller one

:lol:

…the existence of the larger screen has increased sales…

:lol::lol:

…buyer is flocking in drove…

Now that’s just funny because of the tense; I love doing that.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #113 of 153
Quote:

Of course they don't. We sat around a conference room table stunned when they told us POINT BLANK they didn't care. We wanted to build a product, and they wouldn't allow us to interface, and our engineer said "So-and-so's doing this with blankety-blank phones, and we want to offer it, too." Whereupon the Apple manager told us, "We don't care what the competition is doing. This is how it's going to be."

Oh, well since a manager once said it ta few years ago that pretty much seals it then. Must be a rogue group that did (does) the market research.
post #114 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

And honestly, if you're squinting at an iPhone screen, then you need to see an optometrist.  I mean, I have 20/10 vision, so maybe I'm not a perfect example.  But still, you really need help if you can't see what's on an iPhone screen.

Set that post aside and read it again when you're 50. If you can. By then the type might be too small! :)

Aside from age really beating the hell out of one's eyesight, the issue isn't so much that the screen is illegible, it's that it's awkward and inconvenient. That was completely acceptable in the early days of the smartphone because we were just amazed that a pocket device could access a web page AT ALL! Now that pocket devices are often functioning as computer substitutes, we want a better experience. Thanks to companies like Samsung and HTC we know that we can trade pocket space for reduced scrolling and zooming. THAT is what many of us are saying we want.

Of course I CAN visit a web site with my iPhone 4, but it sure is a lot less annoying on my daughter's Samsung with the big screen, and to me it doesn't seem any more daunting to handle and carry than the iPhone.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #115 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

if I finally buy a new iPhone this fall, you will have verifiable evidence that the larger screen is more desirable than the smaller one

:lol:

…the existence of the larger screen has increased sales…

:lol::lol:

…buyer is flocking in drove…

Now that’s just funny because of the tense; I love doing that.

It's all true! It proves that the bigger phone is more desirable. To me. Because there will be a sale to me where there wasn't one before! :)

Availability of a larger model will also demonstrably and verifiably increase sales. By one. To me.

See?

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #116 of 153
Quote:

Sure they care, even if it's to learn what not to do.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #117 of 153

Availability of a larger model will also demonstrably and verifiably increase sales. By one. To me.

But that can’t matter until we factor in the verifiable decrease in sales and see if they don’t even out.

post #118 of 153
Quote:

It's all true! It proves that the bigger phone is more desirable. To me. Because there will be a sale to me where there wasn't one before! 1smile.gif

See?

There are increased sales all the time, so how would you attest a increase in sales because of a size increase? So no it wouldn't be that easy to 'see'.
post #119 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Sure they care, even if it's to learn what not to do.

Nope, they don't. They're going to do exactly what their plans and goals are regardless. We've all learned this about Apple over the years but for some reason, people refuse to believe or acknowledge it. Analysts talk of market share and what the industry's doing, and Apple pays absolutely no attention to them. They may give them lip service if it's good for the stock price but in regards to product development, they could not give a rat's ass what Samsung is up to.

post #120 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

It's all true! It proves that the bigger phone is more desirable. To me. Because there will be a sale to me where there wasn't one before! 1smile.gif

See?

There are increased sales all the time, so how would you attest a increase in sales because of a size increase? So no it wouldn't be that easy to 'see'.

Yes, it would. The sale is verifiable because I'm the one buying it, and I can verify that I have skipped three generations of iPhone because of screen size and will finally buy one if, and ONLY if, the screen is big enough to make me happy. I can measure the increase in sales based on my own consumption: One.

Is it possible that you just kinda skimmed my earlier post and weren't really paying attention? Read it again.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple working on 4.7", 5.6" iPhones for release in Q3 2014