or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot

Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot

post #1 of 185
South Korean electronics giant Samsung has once again focused its marketing resources on mocking Apple, this time promoting the new Galaxy Tab Pro with a spoof of the "Pencil" ad used to introduce the iPad Air.

The ad, posted to Samsung's YouTube page on Wednesday, opens by slowly zooming on a pencil described as "extremely pointy." The camera then rises to reveal an iPad Air hiding behind the writing instrument as the voiceover expresses mild incredulity at the tablet's discovery.

As the camera moves beyond the iPad, Samsung's latest slate comes into focus. "Ah, the even thinner Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1," the voiceover exclaims before marveling at the Galaxy Tab Pro's profile, which is some eight one-thousandths of an inch more svelte than the iPad.

Other features like the Samsung tablet's 2,560-pixel-by-1,600-pixel screen -- "for more robo beatdown action" -- and Samsung's proprietary multitasking system are also called out, before the commercial's narrator elects to take both the Galaxy Tab Pro and the pencil.

Samsung's marketing team has made something of a habit out of poking fun at Apple's products, users, and advertising in recent years. A series of ads in 2012 ad took aim at Apple customers waiting in line to purchase the newest iPhone, while a subsequent set in 2013 called into question the iPhone's "cool factor" and its international language support.

Seoul-based Samsung also took a not-insignificant amount of heat for the commercial it used to launch its Galaxy Gear smartwatch last October. The spot was a near shot-for-shot recreation of Apple's original 2007 iPhone ad, even going so far as to use a aimilar clip from animated series The Flintstones.
post #2 of 185
Rule #1 in the battle to win the #2 spot in the market: Compare yourself to the #1 product.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 185

I must say, a multitasking feature on the iPad would be a big plus. On several occasions I wanted to access my email or look something up during a FaceTime session and I was quite annoyed that I couldn't without being kicked out of my session.

I still cannot believe that I cannot check my list of voicemails on my iPhone without hanging up first.

I do find the iPhone's narrow portrait screen useless for browsing the web, yes I'd love a larger screen. I browsed the internet on a SG5 and loved it, sorry but that's the truth.

The stylus would be nice for designers on the iPad, but I feel it would be no more more than a gimmick on a phone.

bb
bb
post #4 of 185
whatever
post #5 of 185

Jesus, they can't even think of their own marketing campaign.  They had to rip off the pencil from iPadAir ad. Disgusting.

The stupidest thing is that the iPadAir commerical was not simply about how thin it was compared to the pencil.  Its that like the pencil was hundreds of years ago, the ipad is a simple and elegent tool that can change the world.  yet Samsung is too stupid to figure that out.

post #6 of 185
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I still cannot believe that I cannot check my list of voicemails on my iPhone without hanging up first.

On what phone can you do that?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #7 of 185
Yes great samsung ! Take your tab and your pencil, left the Air for me !
post #8 of 185
Quote:

I must say, a multitasking feature on the iPad would be a big plus. On several occasions I wanted to access my email or look something up during a FaceTime session and I was quite annoyed that I couldn't without being kicked out of my session.

I do find the iPhone's narrow portrait screen useless for browsing the web, yes I'd love a larger screen. I browsed the internet on a SG5 and loved it, sorry but that's the truth.

The stylus would be nice for designers on the iPad, but I feel it would be no more more than a gimmick on a phone.

Why is it that I can be on FaceTime and switch to my email or any other app and return to my FaceTime call? I don't think Your're correct about this. But maybe I am missing something.
post #9 of 185

Have you ever watched something and been absolutely embarrassed for the people that made it? This is one of those times.

post #10 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On what phone can you do that?

Before I had an iPhone I used to do it on my flip-phone. There had been several occasions where I wanted to tell someone that someone else called at a certain time and his number is such and such

bb
bb
post #11 of 185

They forgot to mention that although it will last half as long on a full battery charge, that should never be a problem for real Summy users who always have a spare battery with them.

post #12 of 185
Quote:

You can switch out of the FaceTime app without being "kicked out" of your session. Audio communication continues while your video is paused...

post #13 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Rule #1 in the battle to win the #2 spot in the market: Compare yourself to the #1 product.

Weak
post #14 of 185

Poor Samsung!  Even their ads live in Apple's shadows.  How sad it must be to work for a company that compares itself to the bar set by others rather than setting the bar.

post #15 of 185
The pencil commercial is too obscure for a good parody.

Who dreams of cutting out Lebron and pasting him into the clouds ? Nobody!

Why take the pencil at the end? In case your galaxy gear runs out of battery and you need a pencil?
post #16 of 185
Quote:

This tactic is perfectly fine if the goal is to be #1 among among those vying for the #2 spot. This probably makes this a shoo-in sale for those looking for a non-Apple tablet they can tell iPad owners is better than their overpriced Crapple iCrap.

Quote:

Is that ad even truthful regarding "two things on screen at once?" You can have more than two things on the screen at once, you just can't have side-by-side apps that aren't part of the iOS system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

They forgot to mention that although it will last half as long on a full battery charge, that should never be a problem for real Summy users who always have a spare battery with them.

No fair¡ You're getting info an informed discussion about the utility of the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Why take the pencil at the end? In case your galaxy gear runs out of battery and you need a pencil?

I think taking the pencil is to imply that even a cheap Number 2 pencil is more desirable than the iPad Air.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #17 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballrob99 View Post

You can switch out of the FaceTime app without being "kicked out" of your session. Audio communication continues while your video is paused...

I see, I'll have to try that next time... It would be nice to share the screen between two apps, like Mail and Safari.

bb
bb
post #18 of 185
Quote:

That's an ignorant statement.

Hell, Samsung has a pint with these ads. It's time we have better multitasking (browsing and taking notes, for example) and the iPhone screen is pathetically small, despite destroying the note on everything else.

post #19 of 185

Did we all expect anything different, when you can not stand on your own you bash the competition, not like apple didn't do that in the past and make it work for themselves.

But who pencil thing goes back to the mac days, 

post #20 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that ad even truthful regarding "two things on screen at once?" You can have more than two things on the screen at once, you just can't have side-by-side apps that aren't part of the iOS system.

I agree that iOS is a super multitasking OS, with many background tasks running simultaneously, but running multiple front-end apps side by side will be a nice feature to have. It will be a tough decision for Apple to make since they may be perceived by some as trailing behind Windows 8 and Android in features.

bb
bb
post #21 of 185
So Sammy proves again it has no original ideas in product design or advertising. So sad.
post #22 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzare View Post

Weak

Quite the opposite. It works. That's how Pepsi became number two. They compared themselves to Coke, fabricating a fictional dichotomy in a market that was actually full of sodas.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This tactic is perfectly fine if the goal is to be #1 among among those vying for the #2 spot.

I though that is what I said. It's a race to win the #2 spot. Samsung wants to be the #1 choice of Apple haters.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 185
Quote:

I though that is what I said. It's a race to win the #2 spot. Samsung wants to be the #1 choice of Apple haters.

Me culpa. I read your comment wrong.

post #25 of 185

Actually, I think this is quite a nice ad...

I wouldn't buy the product, but the ad made me smile.

Has the same 'tone' of some of those Mac vs PC ads... Maybe Apple should revive the format they perfected...?

"Hi! I'm iPad. And this is Galaxy... Hey, Galaxy! Wake up!..."

"Wha...? Sorry. I'm recharging."
"Isn't that, like, the third time today?"
"Yep! All that multi-tasking sure eats up the juice."
"But what if you need to do something important?"
"Well, you just...."
"Oh... He's asleep again. I guess we can talk when he's back up and running. Maybe in half an hour or so..."

A.

post #26 of 185
Quote:

Battery life will not be an issue after Samsung squires Tesla so users can just pull into a Supercharger station and refuel every few hours.
post #27 of 185
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

"Hi! I'm iPad. And this is Galaxy... Hey, Galaxy! Wake up!..."

"Wha...? Sorry. I'm recharging."
"Isn't that, like, the third time today?"
"Yep! All that multi-tasking sure eats up the juice."

Weird. Mine doesn’t. What if you need to do something important?"
"Well, you just...."
"Oh... He's asleep again. I guess we can talk when he's back up and running. Maybe in half an hour or so..."

Little change, but I like it.

post #28 of 185
Quote:

I agree that iOS is a super multitasking OS, with many background tasks running simultaneously, but running multiple front-end apps side by side will be a nice feature to have. It will be a tough decision for Apple to make since they may be perceived by some as trailing behind Windows 8 and Android in features.

This is violating the original design of iOS.  Both iPad Air and iPad mini with retina display has a resolution of 2048-by-1536.  iPhone has a resolution of 1136-by-640.  Every app is written with these resolutions in mind.  Can you do the math how an app will look if it is fit into half of the screen? 

post #29 of 185
Is no one going to touch the LeBron James ad for Samsung?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 185
Quote:

You can leave the FaceTime app at any time and it will be completely unaffected. Multiple times I have used it and browsed the web to double-check things.

You can check the voicemails. I have just reproduced it to confirm. I tapped the 5th tab, voicemail, it dialled, I clicked the loud-speaker button so I could still hear it, and clicked the home button to leave the phone app. Voicemail continued.

The iPhone's screen size is completely irrelevant to this article, and to any post made previous in this thread.

Design's do not need a stylus, they have their finger. Check out a video of Kyle, an old friend of mine, painting Morgan Freeman on an iPad with just his finger, you may have even seen this video already. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdRLlqdgA4

EDIT: I misread #2. You must have Visual Voicemail. In the UK, only o2 provides that, so I have to dial for voicemail anyway, which obviously isn't supported whilst already on a call.

Edited by MazeCookie - 2/19/14 at 11:38am
post #31 of 185

FYI, it is unintuitive and not multitasking by any means, but you can see recent calls by clicking the "add call" button while in a call.

post #32 of 185
Quote:

I see, I'll have to try that next time... It would be nice to share the screen between two apps, like Mail and Safari.

I think what you're looking for is called a "computer." There are many to choose from.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #33 of 185
Quote:

Quite the opposite. It works. That's how Pepsi became number two. They compared themselves to Coke, fabricating a fictional dichotomy in a market that was actually full of sodas.

I guess you're right, they have nothing to offer that is unique, I suppose there aim is to be number 2. It sad but I thing it is engrained in their corporate culture. Remember recently they offered Olympians a samsung smart phone for free but they could not use their apple products in public.
post #34 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballrob99 View Post

Really?  So FaceTime can be used as replacement for phone call? 

post #35 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This is violating the original design of iOS.  Both iPad Air and iPad mini with retina display has a resolution of 2048-by-1536.  iPhone has a resolution of 1136-by-640.  Every app is written with these resolutions in mind.  Can you do the math how an app will look if it is fit into half of the screen? 

This is actually not really true.

It is correct, that for a very long time iOS apps have been designed with a specific resolution in mind. This was very bad practise, it was lazy on developers' part but it worked and made a lot of things easier, especially around iOS 5 and 6 when almost no new app came along using standard interface components but hand drawn stuff. Apple only fuelled this bad practise by preserving resolution and aspect ratio (just think of those black bars when the iPhone 5 came out). However, I do agree with Apple preserving compatibility like that.

Either way, it was possible to code resolution independently ever since. It just means a bit of extra work. Even hand crafted artwork can be integrated in a scaling manner without any issues whatsoever. And while the Apple ecosystem always had a big plus over all those varying screen sizes, simply because you could really lay out your app pixel perfect, especially if you knew most of the content being displayed. Thus, on iOS it was rare to have half a screen filled and the rest simply empty because of screen size; and we saw that a lot on Android.

Nevertheless, it is and always was possible to code without catering for a specific resolution. Apple's interface components always worked that way anyway. Now, when taking a look at what changed in iOS 7, there are clearly many more signs of incoming resolution/screen size changes, because there's so much happening in terms of making it easier and to encourage developers not to hard code any values anymore.

In fact, most apps should just work finde filling only half the screen. This is not that much different over catering for a background call or other system wide behaviour which reduces the app's screen estate temporarily. The thing is just that there are a load of crappy apps out there, which never considered these things.

post #36 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

Quote:

Why is it that I can be on FaceTime and switch to my email or any other app and return to my FaceTime call? I don't think Your're correct about this. But maybe I am missing something.

As there is no SG5 out, I'm guessing he left off the /s.
post #37 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Have you ever watched something and been absolutely embarrassed for the people that made it? This is one of those times.

Every Youtube video from Microsoft comes to mind.
post #38 of 185

Multitasking is definitely a feature I would use and appreciate on an iPad.That is certainly something I would love to see come to iOS. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #39 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

That's an ignorant statement.

Hell, Samsung has a pint with these ads. It's time we have better multitasking (browsing and taking notes, for example) and the iPhone screen is pathetically small, despite destroying the note on everything else.

You're sample size is a bit small (basing the market demand on a sample size of 'you')... 90% of humans can't grok multi-tasking on technology.   Focus on the who you want buying your tablet (Apple doesn't see the iPad as the 'next computer' for a 10X programmer... They see it for the 65 year old who 'wants to see their granddaughter's FaceSpace').  

As for size, with the retirement of the iPad 2 and original mini, and dropping of support of the 3GS, There is room in iOS for introducing a new form factor.   You must not think in weeks or months, when Apple thinks in years and decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzare View Post

Weak

The coke pepsi argument is valid here, as is the hertz avis argument...  As is.. Mac vs 'PC'  (Apple learned not to fight microsoft, and not even to fight HP or Dell... they fought the concept of OEM HW with a nameless OS on top of it).

Getting the customer to go into BestBuy with a "Samsung vs Apple" compare in their heads eliminates Microsoft, LG, Motorola, HTC, Lenovo...   And the fact that Samsung has the look alike Samsung Table across the Aisle at BBY from the Apple Table is not lost upon this campaign.   If Apple wins 70% of the time against high end Android Tablets, you don't want to be fighting against 4 others for a slice of the remainder. 

post #40 of 185
Quote:

Before I had an iPhone I used to do it on my flip-phone. There had been several occasions where I wanted to tell someone that someone else called at a certain time and his number is such and such

Isn't that on the Recents tab?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot