or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot

Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot - Page 4

post #121 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimple View Post

You got it all wrong. 
NOT exhibiting enough blind Apple-fanboism is what gets people banned here.
After all, this site is the Pravda of the (grandparents-)tech word.

I wish. Pravda spells correctly and isn't powered by amateur, crashy JavaScript. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #122 of 185

I guess Samsung's taking dead aim at the douchebag demo with their marketing.  Anyone talking like the narrator in the Samsung ad in real life is just begging for a fist between the eyes.

The ad reminds me of the online a-holes that try to prove they're the smartest-guy-on-the-board by bringing up obscure references that few people care about (e.g., non-mainstream music or movies that hardly anyone saw or obscure books, etc.).  In order to "get" what Samsung's getting at with this ad, you'd have to remember the iPad Air pencil ad to begin with, since it dates back to October and didn't run for very long.  While the Apple pencil ad was nice, it does not approach the more memorable "Misunderstood" holiday ad or current "Your Verse" ads.  Apple doesn't even have the pencil ad on their website or YouTube page anymore.

Just compare the "Your Verse" ad with the Samsung pencil parody. The "Your Verse" ad is about raising the bar, using a device to explore your interests in new ways.  Samsung is just pulling it all back to specs and feature checklists, and doing it with a rather juvenile and snarky delivery.  Beyond the usual fandroids who hate all things Apple or who live for the "my-screen/feature checklist/clockspeed-is-bigger-than-yours" nonsense, I just don't see how the ad increases the brand appeal for either Samsung or the Galaxy Tab line.

post #123 of 185
"hiding behind the iPad Air". That's all I heard.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #124 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Sure can, FaceTime audio, since iOS 7.

I tried it.  It works.  You are an expert.  I heard that one can do FaceTime with multiple person.  Is this true? 

post #125 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimple View Post

LOL, the SAMSUNG so-called Dyson copy is the first vacuum cleaner I would look forward to buy, too bad I don't really need a vacuum.

Is it because you already...
post #126 of 185
Quote:
Unbelievably another bullshitter pops out of the woodwork.

You're welcome to come over and I can show you in person.  Unfortunately for something like this I can't take a screenshot as proof (like I did for TS when he claimed I was lying about my contact list having availability statuses).

Quote:
So was it working when Android was first released as the other poster claimed "every Android handset"?

Someone claimed that every Android handset can do that?  Who did that?  Who has access to every Android handset?  I hope you're not referring to my post where I said "every Android phone I've had" because if that's the case then you're cutting short the quote to take what I said way out of context and I don't appreciate it.

Edited by DroidFTW - 2/19/14 at 10:36pm
post #127 of 185
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

You're welcome to come over and I can show you in person.  Unfortunately for something like this I can't take a screenshot as proof (like I did for TS when he claimed I was lying about my contact list having availability statuses).

I’ll take this opportunity to mention that I misread the original claim to not read ‘read’, and therefore operated under the assumption that a call could be put on hold while other voicemail was actively listened to, rather than just viewing the interface thereof. I apologize for the misreading.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #128 of 185
Quote:

Someone claimed that every Android handset can do that?  Who did that?  Who has access to every Android handset?  I hope you're not referring to my post where I said "every Android phone I've had" because if that's the case then you're cutting short the quote to take what I said way out of context and I don't appreciate it.

OK just a screenshot of your visual voicemail will do, slap your palm across the screen or whatever you have to do on your piece of crap droid f*ck the world (as was once common on jailhouse tattoos).

Droid being early Verizon Android based phones, so you own any or just like the name?

If you owned one tell us about the visual voicemail.

Now about that flip phone...
Edited by hill60 - 2/19/14 at 11:33pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #129 of 185

nvm, not worth it.

post #130 of 185
Nice ad....Put an ugly Samsung next to an iPad Air. Smart... Real Smart..
post #131 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This tactic is perfectly fine if the goal is to be #1 among among those vying for the #2 spot. This probably makes this a shoo-in sale for those looking for a non-Apple tablet they can tell iPad owners is better than their overpriced Crapple iCrap.
Is that ad even truthful regarding "two things on screen at once?" You can have more than two things on the screen at once, you just can't have side-by-side apps that aren't part of the iOS system.
No fair¡ You're getting info an informed discussion about the utility of the product.
I think taking the pencil is to imply that even a cheap Number 2 pencil is more desirable than the iPad Air.

I like it! A parody of a discruntled samsung user. It's so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox. Bravo! Very subtle
post #132 of 185

This "new" "multi-tasking" reminds me of the Xbox One "multi-tasking" where your movie keeps on running despite being blocked by something else or while you're looking at something else. If it's not blocked then it's reduced to tiny size, and you continue to miss your movie. Ridiculous.

If someone wants to watch a movie, they'll watch a movie. If they want to check their e-mail, they'll stop the movie and check it, otherwise they'll miss the movie. What an absurd advert promoting a ridiculous "feature". Yeah, keep your Galaxy and pencil. I'll stay with the iPad, a more serious tablet for whatever it is I'm doing.

Just pondering...

P.S. Notice there's no comment on the weight of the Galaxy Tab only that it's .0000000000000000000x thinner. The iPad Air looks beautiful. Thanks Samsung for making the iPad Air look so good.

post #133 of 185
I think it's a great testament to how good apple are. Why wouldn't Samsung want to improve on it...,the trouble is that the ad highlights that actually they are only as good as following apple and get a but messed up in the process. The fact they put the iPad in the ad demonstrates this. I think Samsung can be innovative but they should run they're own race. Noted they didn't touch the App Store lol and that's where there game changer really is. If the iPad had a crap display was bulky and slow then it might have had traction but why would you bother. Lazy ad agency or lack of creative at samsung...
post #134 of 185
Quote:

nvm, not worth it.

The Droid, a copyrighted name used by Verizon to describe their first Android phone, a Motorola accompanied by a one hundred million dollar advertising campaign, which due to the inadequacy of the CDMA network at the time, was incapable of connecting to the Internet to check the only thing remotely close to Apple's visual voicemail which part of Google voice whilst engaging in a voice call.

So is that one of the "every Android phone I've ever had" as you claimed or did you just misappropriate the name for other reasons?

post #135 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post

This "new" "multi-tasking" reminds me of the Xbox One "multi-tasking" where your movie keeps on running despite being blocked by something else or while you're looking at something else. If it's not blocked then it's reduced to tiny size, and you continue to miss your movie. Ridiculous.

If someone wants to watch a movie, they'll watch a movie. If they want to check their e-mail, they'll stop the movie and check it, otherwise they'll miss the movie. What an absurd advert promoting a ridiculous "feature". Yeah, keep your Galaxy and pencil. I'll stay with the iPad, a more serious tablet for whatever it is I'm doing.

Just pondering...

P.S. Notice there's no comment on the weight of the Galaxy Tab only that it's .0000000000000000000x thinner. The iPad Air looks beautiful. Thanks Samsung for making the iPad Air look so good.

My method of multitasking involves multiple devices, TV screen, MacBook screen, iPad screen, iPhone screen all working at once, all readily available depending on the circumstance and all synced together thanks to the Internet, iCloud and Apple TV.

Who wants two things on an iPad screen when I've got an iPhone right next to it?

post #136 of 185
Quote:

The Droid, a copyrighted name used by Verizon to describe their first Android phone, a Motorola accompanied by a one hundred million dollar advertising campaign, which due to the inadequacy of the CDMA network at the time, was incapable of connecting to the Internet ..

Uh, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that I had working CDMA Internet when I was in the USA at around that time.

post #137 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Uh, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that I had working CDMA Internet when I was in the USA at around that time.

...but you couldn't multitask like an iPhone on GSM i.e. use voice and data at the same time.

Verizon's CDMA network was incapable of simultaneous voice and data, that came later with 4G.

post #138 of 185
Quote:

...but you couldn't multitask like an iPhone on GSM i.e. use voice and data at the same time.

Verizon's CDMA network was incapable of simultaneous voice and data, that came later with 4G.

Ah I see, well having WiFi or similar would solve that, but I didn't consider that limitation. We're all GSM over here. Thanks for the clarification.

post #139 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I agree that iOS is a super multitasking OS, with many background tasks running simultaneously, but running multiple front-end apps side by side will be a nice feature to have. It will be a tough decision for Apple to make since they may be perceived by some as trailing behind Windows 8 and Android in features.

If you want multiple apps visible at once, get a laptop or a desktop computer.

If you're one of those people that wants two apps visible simultaneously then you would probably not be happy if Apple offered that and then Samsung offered three simultaneously. You'd then want three too or risk "being left behind". At which point the usual pointless feature comparison/techie madness would kick in and your phone would have to be running OS X's interface to handle it all.

Apple provide one app on screen at once and several simple multitasking / app switching shortcuts for just that reason.

post #140 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I must say, a multitasking feature on the iPad would be a big plus. ....
IOS 7 memory limitations means it crashes too much.
Its getting there, IOS 7 is certainly work in progress.

Has 7.1 fixed the memory bug or is everyone just adapting by dumbing down websites etc?
post #141 of 185
Quote:

You also can't use a 64bit drawing App.

Or the gorgeous 64-bit speed of the wonderfully beautiful Frax & Frax HD

post #142 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On what phone can you do that?

My Windows Phone (Lumia 925).

post #143 of 185
basically all I got from the ad is, 'if I'm an ass, then this Samsung copy tablet is for me.'
post #144 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Has 7.1 fixed the memory bug or is everyone just adapting by dumbing down websites etc?

I guess they are just getting rid of all the Flash.

post #145 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

The GS5 isn't even out yet. You can't possibly have used it unless.... You work for Samsung

I meant to say SG4, my bad.

bb
bb
post #146 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I didn't even realize I was unbanned. Thought I was banned for 6 months.. maybe it was 3.

3 days. There's only 3 day and 10 day bans. Huddler might not let you know the details but some people sign up with disposable email addresses and won't get notifications. That's a good and bad thing depending on who it is that was banned.
Quote:

I call trolls as I see them (as well as bigotry/racism/discrimination/lies/deceitfulness) which I've realized is frowned upon here. I'm still stunned and bewildered at the reason for my ban.

It's not frowned on to call things out, just to do it in certain ways. There were a few infractions but the one that led to the temporary ban was the rant against Spamsandwich, which had multiple personal attacks. Infractions are most commonly for personal attacks towards long-term members.

There's a block list that people can and should use to avoid repeatedly getting into arguments with long-term members as it hides all their posts and it's not appropriate to announce who you're putting on it during a thread as some people like to do.

If you think a post is inappropriate, there's a flag icon to mark it. Inappropriate doesn't mean expressing an opinion you disagree with or coming from a poster you don't like though.

The simplest and most important rule to remember is don't address attacks at people. Don't call someone stupid for making a post, explain why their post is stupid or simply ignore it. People who come here to annoy people do it for the attention (e.g MrSimple) and when they get it, they got what they came for regardless of what happens. They don't want to be corrected because they'll just cycle through the same arguments they've had for years so it just derails a thread into insults. A lot of the nuisance posters are the same ones coming back so they get wiped immediately.
post #147 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Do you know what else is thinner than a pencil? A Korean penis.
Lmfao
post #148 of 185
Quote:

Turn

it

sideways

PS what is an SG5?

Are you referring to the Samsung Galaxy S5, which Samsung will be announcing in Barcelona on the 24th?

Show us some (non-blurry cam) pics.

The iPhone screen is too shallow in landscape mode.

I meant to say SG4, my bad.

bb
bb
post #149 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Did we all expect anything different, when you can not stand on your own you bash the competition, not like apple didn't do that in the past and make it work for themselves.

But who pencil thing goes back to the mac days, 

Did everyone catch John Lassiter's name in the credits as Coach?

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #150 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Now if only you could do something useful with a Galaxy Tab Pro. As a musician, there are ONLY apps for iOS. Hardly anything is available on Android because it does not have realtime audio processing or MIDI.

This is why I look forward to the Galaxy Tab getting into the hands of real users, from geeks to newbies. That's when the fancy ads bump up against reality. Users discover what really can be done and what can't, whether it's the lack of an app, the stability of the system, the endurance of the battery, etc. The truth will out and users will vote with their wallets.

post #151 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’ll take this opportunity to mention that I misread the original claim to not read ‘read’, and therefore operated under the assumption that a call could be put on hold while other voicemail was actively listened to, rather than just viewing the interface thereof. I apologize for the misreading.

Wow, TS. An apology? Sweet.
post #152 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

This day shall go down in history

post #153 of 185
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
This day shall go down in history

Or, you know, you could just read any of the others I’ve posted instead of being an anti-Apple troll.

post #154 of 185
Quote:

Nothing special; he always does that if need be. Love him or hate him; he's as straightforward as one can get I think.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #155 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Hey, I don't hate Apple. I just think they're entirely overrated and they fool their biggest fans into believing that they're elite just because they have an Apple product. And personally, I just like underdogs *shrug*

Isn't Apple an underdog though since Android apparently has 80% MS.
post #156 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Now if only you could do something useful with a Galaxy Tab Pro. As a musician, there are ONLY apps for iOS. Hardly anything is available on Android because it does not have realtime audio processing or MIDI.

This is why I look forward to the Galaxy Tab getting into the hands of real users, from geeks to newbies. That's when the fancy ads bump up against reality. Users discover what really can be done and what can't, whether it's the lack of an app, the stability of the system, the endurance of the battery, etc. The truth will out and users will vote with their wallets.

My mother in law has a galaxy tab 2. It does everything she needs it to. Buy wool and yarn from specialist retailers, books from amazon (ebooks, audiobooks and real books). Surf the net without a problem.
The reality for the non techie, non fanboy (from everyside) is that tablets from Apple and Samsung et al are just the same.
The trick is get that first sale to drive future sales, get people locked into the ecosystem.
Make them think that they cant leave. Apple being the first mover in the category has had a massive lead and everyone wants a piece of that pie.
post #157 of 185
Quote:

Isn't Apple an underdog though since Android apparently has 80% MS.

They might be. If I didn't despise Google

But it's really just Apple's personality that puts them on top

post #158 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The Tab Pro has a display that's about 25% smaller than the iPad Air, yet it's only 0.2mm (2.7%) thinner? And what a waste for those extra pixels that humans can't normally see. It all just adds up to shorter battery life.
Sorry, Samesong, iPad Air remains best in class, considering hardware alone.

Quite, and notice how duplicitous Samsung are in their ad: when they show their tablet side to side with the iPad Air, they are both playing a film. This was done deliberately to make it look as though the Samsung tablet had a bigger screen than the Air. This illusion was created due to the black borders when watching a film. In fact, the side bezels on the Samsung tablet are substantially thicker than the Air's, and the screen size of the Samsung is substantially smaller than the Air.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #159 of 185
Quote:

I find these ads utterly pathetic, and utterly disgusting. What a massive contract from Apple's ads- which tend to be inspirational, positive, uplifting, beautiful, and emotive- and for those that show usage of the product, they focus on people using the products in believable real-life scenarios. 

Although Apple hasn't made an "us vs them" ad in many years (which is a good thing), obviously people will bring up the Mac VS PC ads. Those ads bear no resemblance to Samsung's anti-Apple  ads, because of the following:

1. The ads were in context of an industry where Apple was a massive underdog- Macs held a marketshare in the single digits. 
2. The ads were funny, witty, and creative. It's why the've gone down in the advertising history books as classics. They did not lazily use other's companies ads as templates, then throw the product in the end proclaiming "and ours is even better!"
3. Never once did the ads bash USERS of competing products, which Samsung's ads tend to do.  

Not only are these Samsung ads ridiculous, they're painfully creatively bankrupt. Size, really? Talk about beating a dead-horse. Stylus, really? I have YET to see a fucking person in real life using a stylus with their phone, even though I know MANY people with Samsung phones, including the Note. But yeah, I guess you need to attract the demographic that has nothing better to do than trace out a photo of Kobe Bryant and text it to people. Can't wait to see how they will spin the "our fingerprint reader is even better!" angle on their next phone.  

You're back! Love your posts.

It's such a snarky, dislikeable voiceover in the ad, designed to appeal to the most hardened Apple haters.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #160 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

I recently bought a Samsung refrigerator. It's a nice appliance but I must admit that I've been feeling guilty about it.

Samsung's business model is technology thievery. Their ripoff of the iPhone and iPad was so blatant that their CEO should go to jail for it. They've ripped off Dyson vacuum cleaners too.

It's what they do and it is who they are. A company that operates like the Mafia.

Glad you're feeling guilty about the fridge.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung parodies Apple's iPad Air 'Pencil' ad with new Galaxy Tab Pro spot