or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs to be commemorated with collectible USPS stamp in 2015

Steve Jobs to be commemorated with collectible USPS stamp in 2015

post #1 of 28
The U.S. Postal Service has given the go-ahead to design a collectible stamp that will feature Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, with the commemorative piece slated for release in 2015.

Jobs Stamp
Source: USPS via The Washington Post

A "secret" list of upcoming collectible stamps from the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee (CSAC) reveals Jobs to be one of the featured subjects of an upcoming collectible set to debut in 2015, reports The Washington Post. Jobs is joined by other other pop culture icons like Johnny Carson and the comic strip Peanuts.

According to its charter, the CSAC was established in 1957 to portray the American experience to a world audience through postage stamps and postal stationery. Every year, thousands of letters proposing new stamp ideas are sent to USPS, the CSAC's job is to evaluate the merits of each on behalf of the Postmaster General.

While not assigned to any specific series, such as "Music Icons" or "Legends of Hollywood," the Jobs stamp is said to be in the design development stage. Following completion of the design, the stamp must then be approved before it hits USPS outlets nationwide.

The list is not final, however, as USPS executive director for stamp services and corporate licensing Susan McGowan notes, saying the options "are subject to change" at any time. With work already being done on the Jobs' stamp, however, the chances of it becoming an actual product are somewhat higher compared to those not yet in the design phase.

Along with the usual USPS hallmark series portraying historical figures and sites, the Postal Service will continuing a slightly controversial initiative of featuring more modern subjects in a bid to garner interest from younger philatelists.
post #2 of 28
It%u2019s really sad that the Apple hater%u2019s blindness won%u2019t allow them to accept the importance of Steve Jobs to American culture and business. Everybody else does, apparently.

update: I can’t believe how screwed up this forum software is. AI should be ashamed of itself.
Edited by lkrupp - 2/20/14 at 6:05pm
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's really sad that the Apple hater's blindness won't allow them to accept the importance of Steve Jobs to American culture and business. Everybody else does, apparently.

FTFY

post #4 of 28
Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011.

Steve Job's Legacy 1955 -
post #5 of 28
Quote:

It%u2019s really sad that the Apple hater%u2019s blindness won%u2019t allow them to accept the importance of Steve Jobs to American culture and business. Everybody else does, apparently.

Hate begets hate. Instead of being congratulatory, and happy for such a honor your attention can't be diverted from being hateful. That's quite sad. I on the other hand applaud the USPS for honoring a true American genius.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #6 of 28

USPS does itself proud.

post #7 of 28
Steve never like looking back...this is a laugh..I can hear him..what's a stamp for.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011.

Steve Job's Legacy 1955 -

Steve Jobs. R.I.P.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #9 of 28

I hope it will be a Forever stamp.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #10 of 28

As a tribute to Steve, this stamp should cost 30% more than other stamps and the post office should be forced to give that 30% extra to Apple. 

I kid, I kid!   Steve absolutely deserves his own stamp, but the post office must be issuing it with some chagrin...  

"Thanks for making such a popular phone Steve, so now people can just immediately message each other even easier than emailing without having to, you know, write a letter that requires a *stamp*   Thanks for helping kill our business, here's to you."

I don't know why it took me by surprise, but really psyched to see Johnny Carson on the list.

post #11 of 28

awesome!!  Maybe a collectors item some day?  Like in about 50 years?

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #12 of 28

It would be fitting if the Steve Jobs stamp was a 'Forever Stamp' because of the impact on society his vision has had.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

post #13 of 28
I want one and live in the UK so have to pay double i'll be happy to do so . How would I go about getting Americans stamp ? Any beautiful Americans Who could send me hey Steve jobs stamp .? it will be very collectable
post #14 of 28
"Those bozos can't even get the color right"
post #15 of 28

Could be less than 50 years.

post #16 of 28

As a tech geek I am glad to see him get a stamp.

post #17 of 28
Quote:

update: I can’t believe how screwed up this forum software is. AI should be ashamed of itself.

Correction: With the exception of losers at google and samsung, the whole world has accepted the important of Steve Jobs.

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Hate begets hate. Instead of being congratulatory, and happy for such a honor your attention can't be diverted from being hateful. That's quite sad. I on the other hand applaud the USPS for honoring a true American genius.

That should apply to everyone, even the people here.  Blind hatred shouldn't get in the way of acknowledging the successful and positive things that guys like Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, and Scott McNealy have done. 

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

awesome!!  Maybe a collectors item some day?  Like in about 50 years?

I'd expect ALL stamps to be collectors items in 50 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comley View Post

I want one and live in the UK so have to pay double i'll be happy to do so . How would I go about getting Americans stamp ? Any beautiful Americans Who could send me hey Steve jobs stamp .? it will be very collectable
I've never done it, but I'd expect you could just order them from www.usps.com
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

As a tribute to Steve, this stamp should cost 30% more than other stamps and the post office should be forced to give that 30% extra to Apple. 

I kid, I kid!   Steve absolutely deserves his own stamp, but the post office must be issuing it with some chagrin...  

"Thanks for making such a popular phone Steve, so now people can just immediately message each other even easier than emailing without having to, you know, write a letter that requires a *stamp*   Thanks for helping kill our business, here's to you."

I don't know why it took me by surprise, but really psyched to see Johnny Carson on the list.

It is true that email has taken away a lot of USPS business over the years. However, the iPhone has made it possible for a lot of impulse purchases to be made on the fly. And that stuff has to be shipped (often through USPS). When buyer's remorse kicks in, the stuff can be shipped back (again through USPS).

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post

Steve never like looking back...this is a laugh..I can hear him..what's a stamp for.

Excellent point. At least it's not a stylus.

post #22 of 28
when quoting trolls, use the spoiler html tag... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Code:
[spoiler] ...and it ends like... lol[/spoiler]
that way the troll will not automatically see their post... (or just don't respond... but that can be hard because some of these trolls make your blood boil!...)

on topic... will apple buy a truck load of these stamps (the self-stick kind) so when they have to sent out offfers of employment etc...(or special "routine stuff ) use the stamp, instead of a postal machine... yes it would increase the time required to mail a letter, if you have hundreds to do...
Edited by haar - 2/21/14 at 10:06am
post #23 of 28
Originally Posted by haar View Post
when quoting trolls, use the spoiler html tag…that way the troll will not automatically see their post... (or just don't respond... but that can be hard because some of these trolls make your blood boil!...)

Ooh, I like that idea. As good a stopgap as we have until the Huddler team figures out how to do Coventry like in vBulletin.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #24 of 28

While one could make the argument that Steve wouldn't like a stamp because just about everything Apple did was to replace paper snail-mail, I like the idea because I think children need heroes other than athletes and badly behaving music stars and actors.

It's makes a statement that, "this guy was important".   

I wonder how many couples would use a Steve Jobs stamp to send their wedding invitations.   

I hope this is a commemorative, where you can buy plate blocks, rather than just a plain-old single stamp sold on sheets. 

post #25 of 28
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

…I think children need heroes other than athletes and badly behaving music stars and actors.

Darn tootin’.

I wonder how many couples would use a Steve Jobs stamp to send their wedding invitations.   

Black leather envelopes, anodized aluminum invitation cards…

I hope this is a commemorative, where you can buy plate blocks, rather than just a plain-old single stamp sold on sheets. 

Well, let’s see. The title says commemorated” and the image says “collectable”. I hope it’s one of those oversized stamps. :p 

post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'd expect ALL stamps to be collectors items in 50 years.
I've never done it, but I'd expect you could just order them from www.usps.com
thank you very much
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

when quoting trolls, use the spoiler html tag...

Quoting someone often means you're replying to them.  I find it best to just ignore trolls instead of feeding them.

post #28 of 28

Time to get ready to make a custom stamp pen...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs to be commemorated with collectible USPS stamp in 2015