or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Amazon aiming to take on Apple TV with March launch of new set-top box

Amazon aiming to take on Apple TV with March launch of new set-top box - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Exactly.  Roku already has Amazon streaming so the only way the Amazon box will be successful is if it has something major that Roku and Apple TV does not.

That isn't how Amazon works - they will drive Roku out of business by pricing their box at zero margin, and Roku will lose money at that price point because Amazon will have greater clout with manufacturers and eventually higher volume.

But they are no threat to AppleTV at all.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post

Totally agree. A sizeable market was virtually handed to Apple, but they did nothing. Missed out on a big opportunity. It was a no-brainer decision. 

Guess you missed the part where Apple doesn't own the content rights. They have to have permission and sometimes those folks don't want to play ball. So apple can't do something if they have no rights to the items

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #43 of 45

There have already been several media devices created to "challenge" Apple and Amazon's will just be another on the pile. I am curious to see where Apple takes the set-top box though, lots of rumors going on.

My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
post #44 of 45
I'd buy one since ATV doesn't support it.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Guess you missed the part where Apple doesn't own the content rights. They have to have permission and sometimes those folks don't want to play ball. So apple can't do something if they have no rights to the items

Unfortunately I didn't indicate that I was referring to an Apple TV App Store with support for peripherals. Contents deals and channels that seems to be getting the focus means absolutely nothing to anyone outside of the US.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Amazon aiming to take on Apple TV with March launch of new set-top box