or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's holiday Mac shipments outpaced PC growth by largest margin in 5 years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's holiday Mac shipments outpaced PC growth by largest margin in 5 years - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Analysts are like donuts - fat with a hole in the middle.

They think that Apple will ditch the Mac in favor of iPads. How then, dear analysts, do you think that any iPad or iPhone apps would be developed ?? Would Apple license OS X to run, say, on Dell or HP machines ??

Get a clue, people.

Rule #1: start brain before putting mouth in gear.

Rule #2: remove foot from said mouth.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 
However, on the client side, Mac Mail + Contacts + Calendar can interact with the Exchange server just fine for the vast majority of people.

 

Honestly? Because they don't interact with each other worth a DAMN on my stand-alone machine. Calendar was not able to connect with Contacts to get an address for an appointment, and worse than just failing it made up a fictional address all its own. When I later discovered that the address was wrong, I entered the correct address in Maps which showed an incorrect location roughly thirty miles away and in the wrong direction. I have since given up on Apple apps working together and on Maps working at all (yesterday it told me the address for an appointment in the heart of Vancouver, BC could not be found).

 

Are you saying these issues are solved (or at least mitigated) when connected to an Exchange server?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

Are you saying these issues are solved (or at least mitigated) when connected to an Exchange server?

 

I use both iCloud for syncing personal contacts/calendars/email and Exchange for syncing work contacts/calendars/email, and everything works flawlessly for me.

 

I remember having issues back when I manually managed syncing between my iPhone and my Macs (many duplicates of contacts, appointments, etc), and there were certainly a fair number of issues when I first started using iCloud (my wife and I couldn't get a shared calendar to work properly for the longest time), but these seem to have been sorted out now.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 
I use both iCloud for syncing personal contacts/calendars/email and Exchange for syncing work contacts/calendars/email, and everything works flawlessly for me.

 

iCloud sync of data like contacts between devices works fine for me, too. What DOESN'T work worth a damn is apps sharing data between themselves on the same machine. Expanding on my earlier example:

 

I had an appointment at 2:15 pm on February 20 with Dr. Duck at 888 West 8 Avenue, Vancouver BC.

 

I began by entering the Doctor's name, address and telephone number into Contacts.

 

Then I entered an appointment into Calendar. I hoped that entering the Doctor's name might bring up a prompt to automatically pour in the contact info but it didn't so I deleted it and tried dragging the Doctor's address over myself. That worked except that it made up an imaginary address. I tried entering the correct address manually, but it kept switching back to the imaginary one.

 

I deleted the contact info I'd dragged into Calendar and re-entered it manually. On the day of the appointment I right clicked on the address and asked it to Show Map. It came up with two possible locations in Calgary, a city roughly 600 miles away. When I tried just typing the address into Maps directly it said the address can't be found.

 

Clearly (a) these apps don't share data well, and (b) these apps are insect habitats in their own right.


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 2/24/14 at 9:55am

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post


I had an appointment at 2:15 pm on February 20 with Dr. Duck at 888 West 8 Avenue, Vancouver BC.

Real name? Sounds like a quack.
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

Clearly (a) these apps don't share data well, and (b) these apps are insect habitats in their own right.

 

Well, I could go on a similar tirade based on the fact that Outlook is just sitting and spinning on the splash screen with the message "Loading Profile" on my PC right now.  I can't even create an appointment or contact until I wipe out and recreate my profile data.  This actually happens every few months, so I've gotten to know what to do.  Thankfully I don't rely on Outlook for much anymore.

 

As for your issue, I agree that address autofill doesn't work too well on Mac.  I tend to be very brief when creating personal appointments: I'll just put the name of the place I need to go and look up the address directly from my contacts (or wherever else) when it comes time to leave, so it's not much of a bother in my workflow.  For work appointments, it's mostly a matter of booking a resource (meeting room, voice bridge, or similar) so addresses don't matter.

 

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are many ways from A to B.  Not that it's an excuse for Apple's poor autofill capabilities in your case, but I find a lot of people who have issues with using a Mac (hotkeys, UI behaviours) are trying to force it to work the way they've become accustomed to in other software rather than learning the way it's been designed to work. 

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #47 of 51

I just tested what you said by trying to create an appointment with my doctor using Calendar, and you're right, it put in the wrong address (wrong street).  What's weird is that, when it showed the mini-preview of the address in the search list as I was typing the doctor's name, it was correct (so it did pull the address from my contacts correctly).  It's only when I actually chose the item from the list that it filled in the wrong street name.  Very strange bug!

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are many ways from A to B.  Not that it's an excuse for Apple's poor autofill capabilities in your case, but I find a lot of people who have issues with using a Mac (hotkeys, UI behaviours) are trying to force it to work the way they've become accustomed to in other software rather than learning the way it's been designed to work. 

 

If you can figure out "the way it's been designed to work," you're a smarter man than me! :)

 

Honestly, it's getting bad. The reason I'm here is that I had to take a break from the media management I was doing or risk putting my Mac through a window. I put a video I created onto the mini in the living room that acts as a pseudo server. I dragged the video into iTunes on the mini, entered all the metadata and attached the cover art. I then went to my laptop and dragged the same file into iTunes. No metadata. No artwork. Oh well, I'll just enter it again. Nope. As soon as I closed the Get Info window, all the metadata and artwork was flushed again. Open the same file on my wife's machine and everything is fine.

 

Mac killed my inner child.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

If you can figure out "the way it's been designed to work," you're a smarter man than me! :)

 

I did post afterwards about the same autofill failure.  It's a bug, period.  The workaround is to either copy and paste the address information from Contacts to Calendar (not use autofill), or not bother with addresses in your Calendar events and use Contacts for the address when you need it.  Again, many ways from A to B.

 

Quote:

I dragged the video into iTunes on the mini, entered all the metadata and attached the cover art. I then went to my laptop and dragged the same file into iTunes. No metadata. No artwork. Oh well, I'll just enter it again. Nope. As soon as I closed the Get Info window, all the metadata and artwork was flushed again. Open the same file on my wife's machine and everything is fine.

 

Sounds like iTunes is set to make a copy of all media files you add to it rather than referencing the original files.  So you were editing the metadata on iTunes' copy of the file (not the original).  To change that behaviour:

 

iTunes menu -> Preferences... -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" (don't forget to take a few deep breaths) :)

 

This is the first thing I change in iTunes because I keep all of my media files on a NAS.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I did post afterwards about the same autofill failure.  It's a bug, period.  The workaround is to either copy and paste the address information from Contacts to Calendar (not use autofill), or not bother with addresses in your Calendar events and use Contacts for the address when you need it.  Again, many ways from A to B.

Sounds like iTunes is set to make a copy of all media files you add to it rather than referencing the original files.  So you were editing the metadata on iTunes' copy of the file (not the original).  To change that behaviour:

iTunes menu -> Preferences... -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" (don't forget to take a few deep breaths) 1smile.gif

This is the first thing I change in iTunes because I keep all of my media files on a NAS.

Lorin: Jesse Hollington has written a book, available in iBooks, that goes
Into the minutiae of storing iTunes on a NAS and associated matters. In the interests of correct form, I won't link to it, but you may find it helpful.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 
Sounds like iTunes is set to make a copy of all media files you add to it rather than referencing the original files. [...]

 

Not a settings issue. I understand the differences. It was iTunes farting. Restarting the machine corrected the problem. In the end the fix was not complicated but still a PITA.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Lorin: Jesse Hollington has written a book, available in iBooks, that goes
Into the minutiae of storing iTunes on a NAS and associated matters. In the interests of correct form, I won't link to it, but you may find it helpful.

 

Thanks Benjamin! I'll look into it!

 

(For the record, and in the interest of accuracy, I don't actually have my files on a NAS per se. It's just a RAID hanging off a Mac mini in the Living Room. I access the drive via the Mac mini with File Sharing and Screen Sharing. The outcome is the same but the path is not. For whatever it's worth....)

 

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's holiday Mac shipments outpaced PC growth by largest margin in 5 years