or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to reportedly cut Windows pricing by 70% as Apple, Google eat PC marketshare

Microsoft to reportedly cut Windows pricing by 70% as Apple, Google eat PC marketshare - Page 4

post #121 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

A laptop using the weakest Intel hardware from late 2013 ~ early 2014 should handle Windows 8 just fine. 

Of course the potential problem for Microsoft is whether or not the consumer wants Windows 8, although this problem might be more persistent in the tablet/touch market, not as much the laptop market. 

That may be true, however, I just took a look at Best Buy for NEW Windows 8 laptops.  The cheapest device is $280.  If the OEMs save $35 with this program, it would still put the price above $250 and that is the absolute cheapest Windows 8 laptop sold at Best Buy.

The more I look at this, the more I'm convinced that this program is being done mainly for tablets, where Microsoft believes it can ride the huge growth being seen in Android tablets.

post #122 of 127
Hooray! More "race to the bottom" policies.

Still don't see how it's possible for manufacturers to make any money at those levels...
post #123 of 127
They need to encourage more people to purchase Windows licenses. OEMs, people with existing hardware, even mac users wanting to run bootcamp. The only way they can do that is to greatly reduce the cost, and get rid of the confusing home/pro/enterprise/ultimate nonsense. No more regular or upgrade versions either. Stop throwing up roadblocks for the user.

Windows 9 (get a new name while you're at it) should ship as a single, unified product with a retail price of no more than $50. All features short of Windows Server included. OEMs will get wholesale pricing, and they can price accordingly for academic site licenses.
post #124 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthNut View Post

Geez these sub-$250 computers will be built so horribly, I mean more so than usual.

I always thought Steve Jobs' statement about not being able to make a $500 computer that wasn't junk was hyperbole, but a $250 machine can't be anything BUT junk.  I shudder to think about the $249.95 laptops being flushed through Wal-Mart next Black Friday.  

post #125 of 127
They should simply give it away for free until the whole OS makes cohesive sense.
post #126 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Innovation brings prices up. Competition brings prices down. The balance is always shifting like a pendulum.

I think this is pretty good. Maybe would be stronger concept if you replace the word "prices" with "margin".  I don't think most companies care as much about ESP as they do margin. I guess there are some that might, if it's strategic to them, but thats a different thread. 
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #127 of 127

Having two *completely* separate OSes is inefficient, not the way to go. Too much duplication. But having one OS for all devices just results in a non-optimal user experience on all devices.

The correct approach is what Apple did: yes, merge the 2 OSes, but at the source code level, not the GUI level. OS X and iOS share 85% the same codebase. The same kernel, programming language, core classes and dev tools for all Apple products. And they all compile on ARM and Intel. Just the GUI toolkits differ, depending on the device: keyboard/mouse, touchscreen or TV remote. 

Microsoft does not need price cuts, they need better products. And that means optimising the software for the hardware it's running on. And that means a similar codebase/architecture approach as Apple. And they should reduce the role of .NET, make it a pure Enterprise app language, sell it to companies but no-one else. Declare the Windows API as their main platform, and C++ as their primary programming language, and modernise everything and bring it up to C++ '11.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to reportedly cut Windows pricing by 70% as Apple, Google eat PC marketshare