or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung breaks from Android with redesigned, Tizen-powered Gear 2 smartwatches

Samsung breaks from Android with redesigned, Tizen-powered Gear 2 smartwatches - Page 4

post #121 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Its a shame that iTunes is a complete abortion of a bloated, system killing pile of turd on Windows. If anything I'd say it helped turn many people off from buying a Mac

Doesn't that say more about Windows?
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #122 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

People think Apple might bring out a smartwatch, so they're looking at other companies' efforts in the meantime to try and second guess what Apple might come out with.

Thank you

post #123 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Thank you

Not at all.
post #124 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The Sammy watch is of interest to many here, because it is potentially a competitor to an Apple product ...

On several occasions, Tim has stated that Apple is quite interested in "wearables".

As an Apple customer and aapl shareholder, I, for one, care very much about activity in this space ...

Including things like this:

Dick, Edison concerns me far more than anything that scamsung is up to with Tizen or independently in hardware. Intel has the interest and expertise to pull Apple down, in light of Apple moving away with continued development of ARM chips. I listened to your video with only half-interest until Wolfram was mentioned. I have written here before that I think Apple and Wolfram should work closely together. Steve Jobs and Stephen Wolfram were friends and the Mac has always been a Mathematica host. However, with SJ's passing I am concerned about Wolfram moving away. Interesting that Mathematica is mentioned in the video. I feel quite strongly that at any juncture, today's technical computing shapes tomorrow's CE, including at any time over the past 30 years or more. In the late 1990's I was granted a provisional patent on a system that ran Linux (Red Hat) and incorporated low-level sensors and I/O. This is exactly what all smartphones and tablets do today when talking to accelerometers, gyroscopes and other devices. My employer rejected an offer for the rights from a very big US industrial company and eventually, others flew past.

I believe that ultimately, Wolfram Research (http://www.wolfram.com/company/background.html) will be more important to modern computing than Google or scamsung and hope beyond hope that Apple is intimately familiar with developments, in a working capacity. Tim should nurture a relationship with Wolfram. Mathematica will run on Edison, it should run on the iPhone and iPad too. Algorithm and code development occur so quickly under Mathematica due to its fully symbolic capability. No other application offers the sheer power of Mathematica. Peruse http://mathematica.stackexchange.com to witness the capacity and rigour of Mathematica aficionados. Apple needs these minds working with their hardware.

With the iPad, Apple executed a brilliant end-run around the whole notion and industry of personal computing, obviating for many, many people the need even to own a PC. Others are fully aware of this, not the least Intel. scamsung attempted the same by pinching every possible design idea incorporated into the iPhone and using its industrial capability in an attempt to out-manufacture Apple. The pace of innovation is such that Apple could be sidelined very quickly if SJ-like vision is lost. Google, scamsung and Amazon won't be the culprits though but a new democratised, distributed, popular movement that recognises the power of low-level hardware running high-level applications such as Mathematica. I hope Apple is 'on the ball'.

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #125 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmanPak View Post

It looks like pretty much any watch

Like any watch?  What watches are you looking at!?

ETA:  Here's Macy's "Watches" page, for instance.

post #126 of 162
That Edison stuff is remarkable. Scary how fast that space is moving. That said I can't see intel as a consumer branch.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #127 of 162
I would be outraged if I had paid $300 for a device that was replaced/enhanced less than 6 months later. Now it appears they are coming out with black, white, and gold gs5's with fingerprint sensor. Are they just building stuff on the fly? Why not just buy iphones from apple and put their names on them?
post #128 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumormill View Post

I would be outraged if I had paid $300 for a device that was replaced/enhanced less than 6 months later.

I don't see how anyone can reasonably be upset by new products being released unless the old product stops working as a result. The only reason to care is the irrational and prideful desire to say you have the latest model.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #129 of 162
Samsung: Shitty shitty Scam! Scam!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #130 of 162
I would never want to wear a bulky watch like this.

Buying a Samsung product, any Samsung product, is difficult for me. I really think this company has built it's business on technology theft. Their scandalous ripoff of Apple's iPhone and iPad designs is really disgusting. It is a company that operates like the Mafia.
post #131 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see how anyone can reasonably be upset by new products being released unless the old product stops working as a result. The only reason to care is the irrational and prideful desire to say you have the latest model.

While I agree with you in principle, most products -- even personal electronics -- have some sort of [i]nearly[/i] set revision rate.  

post #132 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

SOT:

Lately, it seems that AI is slow to cover breaking stories such as this.

Edit: as I write this, ARS has more than a four hour lead

It probably took them a few minutes to receive the email saying that 1 of the other sites has changed and then 3.5 hours to write their own version of the article. AI hasn't done any original reporting for a long time. It's just slow copies of other sites, barrel scraping and opinions by DED.

AI is the catch-up TV of all the other sites like BGR, Macrumors, 9to5mac etc.

post #133 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

All that SameDung does is copy everything from Apple.  I for one am sick of it.  Apple cannot be the R and D lab for an entire industry!

Since Apple does not have a wearable device of any kind, I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying Samsung is copying FUTURE Apple products. Pretty cool, if true.

post #134 of 162
Quote:

I find the idea of a camera in a watch bizarre and ridiculous. It sounds exotic, like a spy gadget, but the reality of trying to use it?

Samsung is flailing in the dark with these updates. The design is so chunky and outdated. A black and white screen!

I'm not at all convinced that Apple are going to bring out a smartwatch or some such thing. I hope they do, though. I think they would need two sizes for men and women. The hiring of Angela wotshername might have been a nod to the fashion element of a watch.

But Tim Cook himself said that not many young people wear watches these days. A bracelet? Can't see too many guys wearing them. Maybe it'll be something integrated into wireless headphones—Apple like to combine things.

Cook has teased that it's a ring; it would be quite funny if it were!

OK, don't buy one then. A camera in a watch is very cool.

post #135 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Delusional. Samsung is only 'good' at copying. They don't have the means to develop something competitive with the PlayStore or AppStore. They can't support developers as Google does, update their OS as Google does. They don't have the level of service Google has. Anyone who thinks they can needs a reality check. Samsung is nothing without Google.

Yes, those TVs, tractors, ultra books -- all Google!

post #136 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

I don't want to be insulting, but do you really believe that 'Shamesung' reads as a devastating indictment of Samsung? It just reads as a childish insult to me. I really wish people would avoid it because it devalues their point.

I also think it's pretty hard to accuse Samsung of copying Apple products that don't exist. Almost every possible product has been rumoured from Apple including cars. You can't exactly decide well ok anyone who makes an electric car is copying off the Apple/Tesla rumours now can you?

I think you DO want to be insulting. I know I do.

post #137 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... and a heart-rate sensor. Oh and a gyroscope. OOPS, and a IR-LED sensor. Dang, you forgot about that camera too. But other than all those things your're right, it's kinda, sorta along the lines of an iPod nano. . . . if it was a rumored iWatch.

Although actually, iPod nano was rather late to the game -- except for some missing features, this is DAMN close to a TI LED watch from 1975!

post #138 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Better looking than the first.

But still- who wants or wears a wristwatch anymore? P Diddy w  a Rolex?

I'll take my pocket watch iPhone or iPod Nano any day over that. I'd prefer an iRing even better. 

Have you walked down the street lately? Around 95% of the adult populace wears a watch.

post #139 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

I would never want to wear a bulky watch like this.

Buying a Samsung product, any Samsung product, is difficult for me. I really think this company has built it's business on technology theft. Their scandalous ripoff of Apple's iPhone and iPad designs is really disgusting. It is a company that operates like the Mafia.

The Mafia ripped off iPhone and iPad designs? I did NOT know that.

post #140 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Dick, Edison concerns me far more than anything that scamsung is up to with Tizen or independently in hardware. Intel has the interest and expertise to pull Apple down, in light of Apple moving away with continued development of ARM chips. I listened to your video with only half-interest until Wolfram was mentioned. I have written here before that I think Apple and Wolfram should work closely together. Steve Jobs and Stephen Wolfram were friends and the Mac has always been a Mathematica host. However, with SJ's passing I am concerned about Wolfram moving away. Interesting that Mathematica is mentioned in the video. I feel quite strongly that at any juncture, today's technical computing shapes tomorrow's CE, including at any time over the past 30 years or more. In the late 1990's I was granted a provisional patent on a system that ran Linux (Red Hat) and incorporated low-level sensors and I/O. This is exactly what all smartphones and tablets do today when talking to accelerometers, gyroscopes and other devices. My employer rejected an offer for the rights from a very big US industrial company and eventually, others flew past.

I believe that ultimately, Wolfram Research (http://www.wolfram.com/company/background.html) will be more important to modern computing than Google or scamsung and hope beyond hope that Apple is intimately familiar with developments, in a working capacity. Tim should nurture a relationship with Wolfram. Mathematica will run on Edison, it should run on the iPhone and iPad too. Algorithm and code development occur so quickly under Mathematica due to its fully symbolic capability. No other application offers the sheer power of Mathematica. Peruse http://mathematica.stackexchange.com to witness the capacity and rigour of Mathematica aficionados. Apple needs these minds working with their hardware.

With the iPad, Apple executed a brilliant end-run around the whole notion and industry of personal computing, obviating for many, many people the need even to own a PC. Others are fully aware of this, not the least Intel. scamsung attempted the same by pinching every possible design idea incorporated into the iPhone and using its industrial capability in an attempt to out-manufacture Apple. The pace of innovation is such that Apple could be sidelined very quickly if SJ-like vision is lost. Google, scamsung and Amazon won't be the culprits though but a new democratised, distributed, popular movement that recognises the power of low-level hardware running high-level applications such as Mathematica. I hope Apple is 'on the ball'.

All the best.

Stephen, is that you?

post #141 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The trouble with being a fanboy, getting all your sustenance from the effluent Bilger disgorges periodically, is that you become incapable of independent thought or critical thinking.

Before Samsung developed Tizen, they developed another phone OS called Bada.  I think most people on this forum would actually be astonished by how good it is.  It had multiple features which made it a better OS at the time it was introduced than I think iOS was in it's first iteration and had several features Which iOS didn't adopt for some time.  Samsung developed Bada with a small army of software engineers in India - more than 2000 of them, and that was back in 2010.  I suspect they employ considerably more currently.  Bada had several updates before being abandoned in favour of the development of Tizen.  Samsung have an App store, they can produce and distribute OS updates, they supported developers who produced apps for Bada. Certainly Samsung don't have Google's scale, but I think they would be quite capable of developing the infrastructure - if they haven't already - to support Tizen robustly.

I am quite disgusted with the fanboyism, but in the interest of fairness, I had a Bada phone two years ago, and it really and truly sucked.

post #142 of 162
Quote:

I find the idea of a camera in a watch bizarre and ridiculous. It sounds exotic, like a spy gadget, but the reality of trying to use it?

Samsung is flailing in the dark with these updates. The design is so chunky and outdated. A black and white screen!

I'm not at all convinced that Apple are going to bring out a smartwatch or some such thing. I hope they do, though. I think they would need two sizes for men and women. The hiring of Angela wotshername might have been a nod to the fashion element of a watch.

But Tim Cook himself said that not many young people wear watches these days. A bracelet? Can't see too many guys wearing them. Maybe it'll be something integrated into wireless headphones—Apple like to combine things.

Cook has teased that it's a ring; it would be quite funny if it were!

One ring to rule them all.

post #143 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

No.

10 mm = 1 cm = ~0.39 inches

1 mm = 0.1 cm = ~0.039 inches

No way???!!!!

See where I'm from?

I meant that they didn't cut one centimeter from the watch, but one millimeter.
If them removing one centimeter from a watch that barely measures one and a half doesn't shock you, you need to work on your orders of magnitude.
post #144 of 162
Quote:

Agreed. But this is just coming out after 5 months! And no update will be made for the first gen!
post #145 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Agreed. But this is just coming out after 5 months! And no update will be made for the first gen!

A lack of updates are* always a risk but that can happen regardless of the time between HW revisions. Just look at the 7 months between the iPad 3 and iPad 4's as a positive example.

* It seems like 'is' sounds better since I'm referring to updates as a single object even though it's plural.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/23/14 at 11:18pm

post #146 of 162
Quote:

[grammar tidbit]

"Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit”
post #147 of 162

It has electrolytes it's what plants crave

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #148 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

I'm actually starting to get concerned about the battery life of all those wearables.

It is already annoying having to charge the phone and tablet on a daily basis. Last thing I need is having to charge glasses and watches as well. What a mess that'd be. 1smile.gif
What about wireless charging? You take off and place it on the charging tray before bed: problem solved. My problem with smartwatch is the benefit and the look: it's useless cuz it does only 1% of smartphone features and looks so ugly to wear. Who wants to wear this pos whole day long? How the f people currently wearing regular watch use this?
post #149 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What about wireless charging? You take off and place it on the charging tray before bed: problem solved. My problem with smartwatch is the benefit and the look: it's useless cuz it does only 1% of smartphone features and looks so ugly to wear. Who wants to wear this pos whole day long? How the f people currently wearing regular watch use this?

I wouldn't focus on what a smartwatch can do that your smartphone can, but instead focus on features that are not possible on a smartphone.

post #150 of 162
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumormill View Post

I would be outraged if I had paid $300 for a device that was replaced/enhanced less than 6 months later.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

That means that the first Gen won't have support, accessories, etc. But then again, those that bought one aren't exactly bright people.

post #151 of 162
It's shocking how ugly these watches are...I'd rather wear my Pulsar from the 70's...
post #152 of 162
Quote:

A lack of updates are* always a risk but that can happen regardless of the time between HW revisions. Just look at the 7 months between the iPad 3 and iPad 4's as a positive example.

* It seems like 'is' sounds better since I'm referring to updates as a single object even though it's plural.

"Is" is correct as "of updates" is a preposition. "Lack" is the real star of the sentence.
post #153 of 162
Quote:

I wouldn't focus on what a smartwatch can do that your smartphone can, but instead focus on features that are not possible on a smartphone.

Speaking of smartphones, Nokia just announced 3 models that run 'Nokia X Software Platform' which is a forked version of Android.

http://bgr.com/2014/02/24/nokia-x-android-microsoft-response/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28BGR+%7C+Boy+Genius+Report%29

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/24/nokia-announces-three-android-powered-phones-you-wont-care-about/
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #154 of 162

No doubt Microsoft is happy to see Nokia being innovative. 1biggrin.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
post #155 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Speaking of smartphones, Nokia just announced 3 models that run 'Nokia X Software Platform' which is a forked version of Android.

http://bgr.com/2014/02/24/nokia-x-android-microsoft-response/

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/24/nokia-announces-three-android-powered-phones-you-wont-care-about/

Do you think this will help Nokia?

post #156 of 162
Depends what you mean by "help Nokia". Microsoft are still going to buy them out...

censored

censored

post #157 of 162
Quote:

Do you think this will help Nokia?

2 out of the 3 are low spec'd. They're meant to compete with Samsung in emerging markets, but to answer your question, I don't think it will help Nokia.
post #158 of 162
Interesting how instead of the usual garish icons Samsung are now using outlined icons at typeset at exactly the same visual weight as the text. I can't possibly imagine where they appropriated that idea.
post #159 of 162
They call that a smart watch? It looks like the cheesy old digital watches that have been floating around for 30 years and worn by only the nerdiest of nerds and old goobers. Samsung won't know how to design a smart watch until Apple puts one out and they can steal the design.
post #160 of 162
There's a KEYBOARD available for these!?

ROFTL!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung breaks from Android with redesigned, Tizen-powered Gear 2 smartwatches