or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor

Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor - Page 2

post #41 of 235

now that's innovation!    /s   :rolleyes:

:lol: sorry, I couldn't help it.

IBL

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

post #42 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The excitement for Samsung flagship releases probably peaked with the S3. The hardware has made merely iterative improvements while the Touchwiz skin has gotten no less bloated. 

I have to use an S3 at work sometimes when testing. It's crap. Feels bad. Feels cheap. Scrolls horribly. The screen isn't all that. Touch wiz has all kind of stupid distractions.

Embarrassing. The HTCs look good.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #43 of 235
It's got my favorite Android feature of all time: the way so many of them wobble when you try to use them on a surface, because the camera sticks out! Obnoxious. THe 3G was bad enough for that, but a little "peg" is worse--and makes the phone sit with one side higher even when you're not trying to tap. Like when watching a video. Just an awkward and lazy design for a camera--why put it behind the screen where it has to add thickness??
post #44 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

The Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AC) is more powerful than the Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974).

Max CPU frequency:  2.26GHz --> 2.45GHz

Max GPU frequency: 450MHz --> 578MHz

ISP frequency: 320MHz --> 465MHz

Memory interface:  LPDDR3-1600 --> LPDDR3-1866

eMMC interface: 4.5 --> 5.0

I'm pretty shocked they didn't cobble together a 64-bit processor (or is this one?)

Seems like the sort of thing they would blatantly copy after banging on about how pointless it is if Apple do it.

post #45 of 235

Geez the S5 is going head-to-head with the 5s, that’s going to be hard to avoid mixups!

"...you know that S5 fingerthingy si not as good a that from the i5s’s... and those photos the S5sG takes are soooo much better than this S-Hi5-ses’s ones... and don’t get me started on the iG-S5, or is it Si-G5 #@%*?..."

For sanity’s sake Apple, we need the iPhone 6 to make things clear ASAP!

post #46 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

The Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AC) is more powerful than the Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974).

Max CPU frequency:  2.26GHz --> 2.45GHz

Max GPU frequency: 450MHz --> 578MHz

ISP frequency: 320MHz --> 465MHz

Memory interface:  LPDDR3-1600 --> LPDDR3-1866

eMMC interface: 4.5 --> 5.0

But Touchwiz is also considerably heavier than the stock android running on the N5, so it's not clear whether the hardware bump will translate to better real-world performance.

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 2/24/14 at 12:45pm
post #47 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...and the device also has a built-in heart rate monitor that can be used to measure a user's pulse.

But who's gonna read that flatliner after a new owner simply drops dead from finding out how truly crap this phone turned out to be?
Quote:
To that end, Samsung has also announced a separate wearable device dubbed the Gear Fit, a smaller wrist-worn accessory that connects with the company's ecosystem of devices.

Quote:
As for camera specifications, the Galaxy S5 has a 16-megapixel shooter

Right, because more pixels create better pictures¡
Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is set to launch around the world in April.

First day of the month, I presume.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #48 of 235

16MP in a camera phone is useful?  I'm still waiting on Nikon's latest pro full frame DSLR the D4s.  Wanna guess how many MP that is? 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #49 of 235

Seriously, the iPhone 5s bitchslaps this in every possible metric.

besides having a pathetically small (great quality, at least) screen.

post #50 of 235
Fun with AC WiFi.
Do you think Samsung have addressed the slow NAND Flash in today phones? You are lucky to get 10Mbyte/80Mbit speed on them.

Fun stuff like that when people wants 150Mbit LTE, 1.3Gbps WiFi, USB3 and so on and the Flash memory is to slow.

One of the main reasons why Apple bought Anobit was to create their own Flash controller. Maybe for iOS. That could lead to a performance breakthrough.

Today it takes upward 30 seconds to load a game on iPadAir. Its the Flash memory that is slow.
With fast NAND Apple can even implement compressed memory like OSX.
post #51 of 235
Is this Samsunginsider of Appleinsider? I could care less about Samcrap products.
post #52 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It's very nice to see Samsung avoiding new software gimmicks.  Everything they added this year appears to be useful.
Assuming they work. The Verge didn't have great things to say about the fingerprint scanner. And they said its near impossible to do one handed. That would be a deal breaker for me. What I love about the 5S is I can easily unlock my phone with one hand. Placing my thumb on the home button feels totally natural.

What is brilliant about Apple's approach is that after a while you forget that your home button push action is what is actually unlocking the phone. 

This swipe fingerprint scanner sounds like what they had on some PC laptops years ago. That was a PITA.

Not sure what is worse.  To copy someone else's idea, or to try to copy and fail doing it in it's execution.

post #53 of 235

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #54 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Water resistance is one thing I'd like to see Apple jump on board with. I lost a 3GS to the perils of the bathroom.

You're not one of those people that use the urinal while playing with your phone, are you?
post #55 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You're not one of those people that use the urinal while playing with your phone, are you?

I once saw an old bloke drop his pipe into the urinal while he was taking a piss.

I was somewhat appalled when he picked it out, put it straight back into his mouth and continued smoking away.

There's worse things to drop in the urinal than your phone!

post #56 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Is this Samsunginsider of Appleinsider? I could care less about Samcrap products.

Then don't read the article.  There are lots of articles I simply have no interest in and don't read.   What's your motivation? 

Doctor, it hurts when I read this..  Then don't read that.

post #57 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

What is brilliant about Apple's approach is that after a while you forget that your home button push action is what is actually unlocking the phone. 
This swipe fingerprint scanner sounds like what they had on some PC laptops years ago. That was a PITA.

Not sure what is worse.  To copy someone else's idea, or to try to copy and fail doing it in it's execution.
Exactly! When I show it to people they're completely underwhelmed. And I tell them that's the point! As Jony Ive would say, it designing something that almost feels undesigned because it's so natural and intuitive.
post #58 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Fun with AC WiFi.
Do you think Samsung have addressed the slow NAND Flash in today phones? You are lucky to get 10Mbyte/80Mbit speed on them.

Fun stuff like that when people wants 150Mbit LTE, 1.3Gbps WiFi, USB3 and so on and the Flash memory is to slow.

One of the main reasons why Apple bought Anobit was to create their own Flash controller. Maybe for iOS. That could lead to a performance breakthrough.

Today it takes upward 30 seconds to load a game on iPadAir. Its the Flash memory that is slow.
With fast NAND Apple can even implement compressed memory like OSX.

and here I was thinking NAND's issues are bad blocks and write speed.   We are saying NAND has slow read speeds?  If it's 80Mbit speed for read, it'd say it probably a bit more complicated then simply saying NAND technology is slow.  It probably means they are too cheap to use good HW interfaces, saving pennies where they can. 

Edited by snova - 2/24/14 at 1:10pm
post #59 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm pretty shocked they didn't cobble together a 64-bit processor (or is this one?)

Seems like the sort of thing they would blatantly copy after banging on about how pointless it is if Apple do it.

Samsung has yet to unveil their "Exynos Infinity" SoC which they teased for MWC 2014, that could potentially be using Cortex A53 cores (but I doubt it).   

Qualcomm's, NVIDIA's, and MediaTek's 64-bit SoCs will only be coming to market in the second half of the year.

The only other 64-bit option currently available is Intel's 22nm Merrifield SoC, which uses a Silvermont CPU (2 cores @ 2.13GHz) and a PowerVR G6400 GPU (4 cores @ 533MHz).

post #60 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They are not happy on Android forums either. Bad day for the big S.

I think you'd be very surprised at the hatred there is for Samsung on those forums as well.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #61 of 235
Yay! a pulse sensor built into the camera, Oh thats right i already have - Heart Rate by Azimo and if your into a pulse app that doesn't even need touch, Cardio from the guys at MIT. I actually thought this was magic, then i wised up. Please Samsung find your own bandwagon and some others might jump on.
post #62 of 235
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's next-generation flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S5, was officially announced by the company at the Mobile World Congress trade show on Monday, and the handset will compete head-to-head with Apple's iPhone 5s ...

And it looks like an entire year (and counting) will pass before Samsung / Google even attempt 64-bit computing.

I wonder how Samsung's ad agency will spin that unfortunate little fact.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #63 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I won't even start with the "Pleather" case design, or better yet... the "Plaster" band-aid design from a prior post, because the S5 is exactly that, an open wound for Samsung.

Fixed that for you.

"Pleather." Love it, that's a keeper !

post #64 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And it looks like an entire year (and counting) will pass before Samsung / Google even attempt 64-bit computing.

Maybe hire Anand Chandrasekher as their marketing guru. I'm sure his looking for a new job by now.

post #65 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatcaesar View Post

Samsung is avoiding gimmicks?? Lol what the hell do you need a random pulse tracker for?? So it gave me my pulse then what??

That's Samsung being thoughtful on their part.  You know, when you try to unlock their phone using their new fingerprint sensor, over and over again and your blood starts boiling and your heart beats faster as you get more aggravated, the pulse tracker lets you know it's time to step away from the Samsung Galaxy S5 and go into some 'Zen' mode!  Especially valuable for people with heart conditions!

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #66 of 235
Quote:

16MP in a camera phone is useful?  I'm still waiting on Nikon's latest pro full frame DSLR the D4s.  Wanna guess how many MP that is? 

6,000,000,000? :)

post #67 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I won't even start with the "Pleather" case design, or better yet... the "Plaster" band-aid design from a prior post, because the S5 is exactly that, an open wound for Samsung.

Fixed that for you.

"Pleather." Love it, that's a keeper !

its a Pleather Phablet

post #68 of 235

Specs are the fodder of the Windows/Android crew. Does the fracking thing work? Mmmm love that android lag, gives me time to think about how much i hate IOS

post #69 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Quote:

6,000,000,000? :)

no the upcoming Nikon D4s Pro Full Frame DSLR is also 16MP.

post #70 of 235
Quote:

no the upcoming Pro Full Frame DSLR is also 16MP.

The MP thing is just one of those things that people can easily grasp without understanding what it means.  Of course, a 16MP camera with great lenses and a 16MP camera in a phone are two different things.

No, I get what you were getting at. 

post #71 of 235
Reminds me of the difference between an AK-47 (shoot a billion bullets in that general vicinity, you might hit something, you might not) and an M-16A2 (conserve bullets, more precision, one shot-one kill).

Guess which one's Samsung?
post #72 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatcaesar View Post

Samsung is avoiding gimmicks?? Lol what the hell do you need a random pulse tracker for?? So it gave me my pulse then what??

That's Samsung being thoughtful on their part.  You know, when you try to unlock their phone using their new fingerprint sensor, over and over again and your blood starts boiling and your heart beats faster as you get more aggravated, the pulse tracker lets you know it's time to step away from the Samsung Galaxy S5 and go into some 'Zen' mode!  Especially valuable for people with heart conditions!

/

/

You may be on to something here.  They might have better luck unlocking it with the heart monitor. 

post #73 of 235

I've got 16Mp, i'm gona be on the front page of Reditt in a heartbeat with my shit picture of some spastic cat. Yayyy!!!! Samsung wins!!! Android/Windows bloatware business model will rule the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #74 of 235

I haven't read all the posts to this article... so forgive me if I repeat someone else's question.... but....

Doesn't it seem of late that Samsung is setting its product roadmap to the voices of the Apple rumour mill?

post #75 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

By upping the RAM to more than 4GB and crapping on about how the Note 4 or S6 is using 64bit properly.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #76 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandino View Post

I've got 16Mp, i'm gona be on the front page of Reditt in a heartbeat with my shit picture of some spastic cat. Yayyy!!!! Samsung wins!!! Android/Windows bloatware business model will rule the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey!  Don't be dissing "spastic cat" pictures! 

post #77 of 235

LTE+WiFi sounds clever, but only makes sense if you have an unlimited data plan.  It'll stick with "slow" unboosted (but "free") WiFi when I'm at home thanks.

post #78 of 235

S5? Bad name. Shoulda called it the tackE.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #79 of 235
No mention of their new wrist-worn device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

S5? Bad name. Shoulda called it the tackE.
It's the 5S backwards. Perhaps they should have just called it the S5 enohPi.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #80 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I haven't read all the posts to this article... so forgive me if I repeat someone else's question.... but....

Doesn't it seem of late that Samsung is setting its product roadmap to the voices of the Apple rumour mill?

Welcome to 2010.

You been living under a rock or sumthink?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor