or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs statue unveiled ahead of installation at Apple's Cupertino HQ

Steve Jobs statue unveiled ahead of installation at Apple's Cupertino HQ

post #1 of 107
Fittingly revealed on his birthday, a bust of Apple cofounder Steve Jobs was unveiled in Belgrade on Monday, with the art piece bound for the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

Source: Netokracija

A scaled down model of the final obelisk design was unveiled on Monday by famed sculptor Dragan Radenovic, reports Netokracija.

The work, which was selected in a contest with over 10,000 entries, incorporates a bust of Jobs' head mounted on a pillar. Sprouting from the sides of the pillar feature are Cyrillic letters and the numbers 1 and 0, representing the binary numeral system. According to Radenovic, Apple management appreciated the imperfections of the piece over more computer-centric design entries.

The scale model sculpture will be sent to Apple in California for final inspection and, upon approval, Radenovic will craft the final version. Completed, the art piece will stand between three to five meters tall and is to be installed at an unknown location on Apple's Cupertino campus.

Earlier on Monday, Apple CEO Tim Cook posted a pair of tweets containing quotes from Jobs in remembrance of the company cofounder.

Jobs was born on Feb. 24, 1955, in San Francisco, Calif. He passed away in October 2011 after a long fight with cancer.
post #2 of 107
What is dat.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 107
I think that's hideous.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 107
Wow. Many apologies, but that really looks creepy.
Reminds me of a scene from "The Thing," 1982.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #5 of 107
Certainly this is a joke.
post #6 of 107
Um.
post #7 of 107
I agree, that's just awful. Having his bust attached to the abstract "pillar" is odd and doesn't capture the man or his legacy at all. Really dumb. I'd prefer to see just a simple, life size bronze sculpture of his likeness placed under a tree somewhere; but what do I know.
post #8 of 107

OMG was never so appropriate.

I'm old fashioned. A bronze statue of a young Steve Jobs sitting cross-legged with a 128k Mac (like the iconic photo) is more to my liking. Or perhaps an aluminum statue of an older Steve Jobs sitting cross-legged with a 128k Mac, iPod, iPad, and iPhone.

Edited by waybacmac - 2/25/14 at 2:05am

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #9 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

famed sculptor Dragan Radenovic

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #10 of 107
I wonder if this meant to be a computer "stack". Binary at the bottom, human language in the middle, and its visionary at the top.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #11 of 107
That looks like the terminator T1000, I don't think Steve would've approved!
post #12 of 107

Hide it behind the potted plants.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 107

The head is cool and I get the 1 and 0. I can also grok the rustic theme. But the pillar and two weird characters..... seems like he had a lot more to work with than a pillar. What about some hints about an apple, icons, fonts, etc.

post #14 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Wow. Many apologies, but that really looks creepy.
Reminds me of a scene from "The Thing," 1982.

{Ditto} on every point.

post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What is dat.

It's "art".

It's a bit strange but you can't say it's not interesting.  I like it.  Better interesting and weird than boring and passé.  Jobs was an interesting and complex person.

So kudos to management for not being too conservative on this for a change.

post #16 of 107
A slab of black granite shape as an iPhone with Steve jobs portrayed in the middle of it would be better than that creepy thing.
post #17 of 107

Something for kids to climb. Cool.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #18 of 107
Freddy Kruger called? Buttugly.
post #19 of 107

Whatever it is, it's weird and pissed off.

post #20 of 107
asawa_san_francisco_fountain.jpg
post #21 of 107
Reading all the thinking behind the statue, for me that's spot on and creative, but the interpretation scares me.
post #22 of 107
You guys need to be a little more respectable now that Steve's got his own Pez Dispenser.

Edited by GTR - 2/24/14 at 3:51pm
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
post #23 of 107

Actually, that reminds of the Human Reaper at the end of Mass Effect 2. Just.....ugh....

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

post #24 of 107
Yikes. This might give me nightmares.

To make matters worse (as though that's possible) does the lettering look like a creepy 'love'!?

Hope this is not the esthetic of the group driving future Apple product designs.
post #25 of 107
Steve has a big one.
post #26 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think that's hideous.

Maybe they should swap it out with the SF fountain

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

It's "art".

It's a bit strange but you can't say it's not interesting.

It's not interesting. And why did you put the word art in quotes?

'What people think is art and what is art is the same and different to the same and different.'

That's art.
post #28 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe they should swap it out with the SF fountain

I like the fountain a lot more.

post #29 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

LOL
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Reading all the thinking behind the statue, for me that's spot on and creative, but the interpretation scares me.

The Levi's wall is creative. That is butt ugly. it looks like the afterbirth of Han Solo's frozen state.

post #31 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Velasquez View Post

That looks like the terminator T1000, I don't think Steve would've approved!

I agree.
post #32 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I like the fountain a lot more.

I don't get the Cyrillic letters. The whole thing is just deformed and grotesque. I can't see how this could be the best design out of 10,000 submissions.

If you took away all the crap sprouting from the sides, the rustic look could be cool but in its current form I find it very disturbing especially since Steve is so idolized, it just doesn't seem at all congruous with his personality. I wonder what Laurene thinks about it. Perhaps only she could put a stop to this nonsense.

Edited by mstone - 2/24/14 at 4:51pm

post #33 of 107
Quote:

I don't get the Cyrillic letters. The whole thing is just deformed and grotesque. I can't see how this could be the best design out of 10,000 submissions.

I don't get the meaning of the Cyrillic letters.

PS: I hate to invoke the meme but… If Steve Jobs were alive this crap would have never been made.

post #34 of 107
That's horrible
post #35 of 107
I've seen a lot better
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #36 of 107
When I saw this the first thing I thought was:

http://moviemadnessblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/fly.html
post #37 of 107

Do we have any proof that this is an Apple approved and commissioned work and not some lunatic in Belgrade trying for 15 minutes of fame?

post #38 of 107

If they ever do install that thing on the campus they will need a 24/7 armed security team to prevent it from being removed by SJ devotees.

post #39 of 107
yikes. my first thought was that it was the beginnings of the thing from hellraiser 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOUsx0stBpA#t=48
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #40 of 107
Quote:

If they ever do install that thing on the campus they will need a 24/7 armed security team to prevent it from being removed by SJ devotees.

You mean NeXT and Apple Alumni? Yes.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs statue unveiled ahead of installation at Apple's Cupertino HQ