or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Disney Movies Anywhere allows users to bypass Apple's store for iTunes content, comes with free movie

Disney Movies Anywhere allows users to bypass Apple's store for iTunes content, comes with free...

post #1 of 57
iOS device owners interested in keeping and viewing their catalog of digital Disney movies all in one place, as well as buying new titles through Apple without even needing to launch the iTunes Store, can download the new, free Disney Movies Anywhere application, which comes with a free digital copy of Pixar's "The Incredibles."

Disney

Disney Movies Anywhere debuted on the iOS App Store Tuesday morning, allowing users to stream Disney, Pixar and Movie digital movies at home or on the go. The application allows users to browse and buy from an extensive catalogue of titles under the umbrella of the Walt Disney Company.

The application is particularly noteworthy because it allows users to not only purchase, but also to view their iTunes Store content without actually needing to visit the iTunes Store, or use a native application for viewing content like Apple's Videos app.

Of course, even though Disney Movies Anywhere doesn't require users to launch the iTunes Store, the content is still being purchased through Apple, which means the company still receives its share of all content purchased through native applications on iOS devices.

Users must create a Disney account upon first launching the application. Once they are signed in, it will prompt them to connect their iTunes account to sync eligible Disney and Marvel movies. Agreeing to do so launches the iTunes Store with a "Connect Accounts" prompt that users must agree to by entering their iTunes password.

Disney

With Disney Movies Anywhere, users can choose from a library of hundreds of videos, with more titles promised soon. Disney digital copies that accompany physical disc purchases can also be redeemed through the application.

Users who download the application and link their iTunes account will receive a free copy of "The Incredibles," Pixar's critically acclaimed animated feature first released in 2004. That movie regularly sells for $19.99 in high definition on the iTunes Store.

Disney's new application also offers exclusive content, including original programming and never-before-seen videos. Users can also stream movies, or download them for offline viewing. And Disney Movie Rewards points are offered for every digital transaction.
post #2 of 57

The app isn't yet available in the UK app store

post #3 of 57
Apple buys Disney?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #4 of 57
I wonder if Disney content purchases can be authorized using Touch ID. If I remember correctly, Disney/ABC was one of the first (if not the first) movie studios to offer movies via iTunes then TV shows via iTunes. It would only fitting if Disney was the first business to use Touch ID via iTunes.
post #5 of 57

I wish Disney would sell there movies in bundles.  Would love a marvel bundle to get all iron man, Thor, captain America and avengers movies.

and I dont see this app in Canada.

post #6 of 57
Wish Disney could let you pay a certain amount for unlimited streaming on the site.
post #7 of 57
Movies as in-app purchases?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Apple buys Disney?

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but Apple doesn't have the cash to buy Disney.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #9 of 57
Actually Apple does have the money. Disneys market cap is 140 billion.
post #10 of 57
This would never have happened if Incrediboy was still alive...
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This would never have happened if Incrediboy was still alive...

Didn't listen to the age old rule of super hero costumes: No capes!
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but Apple doesn't have the cash to buy Disney.

Not that they's want to but thy probably could, for cash, so long as Disney didn't mind a good chunk of that cash being paid to them in Ireland. 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #13 of 57
Nice idea. So it's really a store within a store.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #14 of 57
So much for 'one world'

Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #15 of 57
Anyone else getting. 'Unable to connect accounts '?
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Mine went through ok. 

post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So much for 'one world'

Nope, just a 'small world' with obvious boundaries lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #18 of 57
Between this and the WWE app, we're seeing test pieces of AppleTv come together
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Between this and the WWE app, we're seeing test pieces of AppleTv come together

I agree. Maybe a March Apple TV that supports iTunes Extras.

Haven't seen it listed here, but wanted to provide some feedback.

I had stopped buying Disney BDs because the Digital Copies were SD. Sadly (ok, not really, but a "oh, boo" thought), that meant no more Disney Movie Rewards. You just didn't get any with iTunes purchases. Well, this app has done the following.

1. I bought Frozen in iTunes (pre-ordered) and it downloaded this morning, before I knew of this app.

2. Seconds after downloading this app, signing in with my Disney account, linking my iTunes account, I got an email stating 150 Rewards were added to my account for purchasing Frozen. Cool! Nice to have it back.

3. The several movies I had bought on BD that had the SD digital copies? I can delete them all from my iMac, go into iTunes Purchases, and now download the HD versions. All no charge. Sweet!

4. Incredibles is a great movie, but I only had a DVD rip of it, so glad to have it in HD now!

5. All your iCloud Disney/Marvel movies (bought in iTunes or digital copies from discs associated with iTunes) appear in both the Disney App, and in the Videos app on my iPad. Assuming they show as purchased on the Apple TV as well.

post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Not that they's want to but thy probably could, for cash, so long as Disney didn't mind a good chunk of that cash being paid to them in Ireland. 1biggrin.gif

Lest we forget:
Quote:
The Steven P. Jobs Trust reported ownership of 138 million common shares of Disney, valued at $4.6 billion at the close of trading yesterday [Nov 23, 2011], according to a 13G regulatory filing. The filing lists Powell Jobs as trustee. A 13G suggests the trust has no intent to influence control of Disney.

Jobs became the biggest shareholder of Burbank, California- based Disney with the 2006 sale of his Pixar computer animation studio to the entertainment and theme-park company for $7.01 billion in stock. The trust gained beneficial ownership of the shares (AAPL) after Jobs died on Oct. 5 at age 56, the filing showed.

Jobs acknowledged investing about $55 million in Pixar, which he bought from “Star Wars” producer George Lucas in 1986. The law offices of Howson & Simon LLP in Walnut Creek, California, were listed as the address of the trust.

Disney, operator of the namesake theme parks, as well as cable networks and ABC television, fell 1.8 percent to $33.40 at the close in New York yesterday. The stock has declined 11 percent this year. Apple, based in Cupertino, California, declined 2.5 percent to $366.99.

Under U.S. law, Jobs’s heirs may sell his Apple and Disney shares and avoid taxes on capital gains that accrued up to the time of his death. If Jobs left his estate to his wife, the family won’t be liable for the 35 percent estate tax until she dies or gives money to others, according to estate planners

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-23/steven-jobs-trust-reports-holding-7-7-stake-in-walt-disney-1-.html

Today, DIS is valued at $80.80 -- making Jobs' $7.01 Billion worth $11.1 Billion in the estate.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #21 of 57
Quote:

So much for 'one world'

Hopefully they'll bring this to more regions. I happen to like The Incredibles, I and wouldn't mind getting it free!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 57
Funny, if I go to Purchased Movies, Incredibles (HD) shows up. But if I'm just in the Videos app, it doesn't list under "All Movies" like my other iTunes in the Cloud movies.
post #23 of 57
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Apple buys Disney?

Cash on hand is not the only thing that is required for an acquisition. (Not that I think this is a good idea).

post #24 of 57

The implementation of this is odd.  I've downloaded the video to my iPhone and it shows up on my phone's iTunes store and on my Apple TV, but it doesn't show up in iTunes/iTunes Store on my Mac.  

It's nice to have a free movie, but I'll probably not use the Disney app to buy content in the future if it doesn't synch across all my devices.

post #25 of 57
Connecting accounts is not working for me. Anyone here get it to work?

Edit: Just noticed someone else did. Glad it is not just me.
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Hopefully they'll bring this to more regions. I happen to like The Incredibles, I and wouldn't mind getting it free!

I missed where the 'free' part came in? This is a free service? Come on ...

Edit: Oh, the one free movie, I get what you mean now ... my bad!
Edited by digitalclips - 2/26/14 at 10:18am
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #27 of 57
Quote:

So much for 'one world'

Only works in Disney World.

It's an incredible deal to get a movie for free.
post #28 of 57
I guess that's pretty cool, it's good to give consumers more options. Plus a free movie is a nice incentive to signup and try it out at the very least. I wonder if any other place will follow suit.
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
post #29 of 57
Interesting development. "Anywhere" makes me wonder if Apple have allowed this as part of a wider move to prep for more of a push into the living room.

censored

censored

post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

I'm also getting this.
post #31 of 57

Sigh.

This is the future, isn't it? You'll eventually need 147 apps to watch all possible content.

One flat rate service that can stream anything? No, that's too effing nice and convenient for the consumer. We can't have that.

I don't want to have to buy individual or TV shows. I'll only watch most of them one time.

post #32 of 57

Worked fine for me- but it's interesting how they get your collection.  They obviously use your iTunes account, but it also uses your Disney Movie Rewards points that were Vudu/Ultraviolet eligible.  Example- in my Vudu account, I never redeemed Peter Pan Return to Neverland or Pixie Hollow Games from a Blu-Ray I bought- But I did redeem the DMR points, and they are in this app now.

Likewise, other movies like the Little Mermaid 2 & 3, Oliver & Company, etc that I redeemed in DMR- that didn't have a digital option- are not in this app.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #33 of 57

OK.  Disney buys Apple?

post #34 of 57
Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

Sigh.

This is the future, isn't it? You'll eventually need 147 apps to watch all possible content.

One flat rate service that can stream anything? No, that's too effing nice and convenient for the consumer. We can't have that.

I don't want to have to buy individual or TV shows. I'll only watch most of them one time.

There are three quick and easy steps to the app-ification of everything:

1. App-ify music (done, obviously: iTunes / Music / Podcasts apps etc.)

2. App-ify the web (done, obviously: CNN / NBCOlympics / IMDb / AppleInsider apps etc.)

3. App-ify movies & TV (off to a good start: Netflix, iTunes, etc.)

post #35 of 57
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Interesting development. "Anywhere" makes me wonder if Apple have allowed this as part of a wider move to prep for more of a push into the living room.

Bingo.  It looks like a Disney app.  Right now anyway.

But it's really a signal that Apple is getting major players to sign on the dotted line.

Apple's (eventual) TV strategy is slowly being rolled out.  Inexorably, inevitably, unstoppably.

post #36 of 57

I guess I'm just paranoid. As I started to create my Disney account I saw that I had to agree to let my private information go to unnamed third parties who have agreed to protect my information in accordance with "their own policies". How can I trust the policies of third parties when I don't know who they are? All this means, of course, they effectively can sell or use my info any way they want, including targeted spam, spam, spam. Sadly, this is not an option; it is a must to have an account. Just sad…and from Disney, too. :no:

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cash on hand is not the only thing that is required for an acquisition. (Not that I think this is a good idea).

If Apple could buy ESPN so we can get even better live sports programming on AppleTV.

post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I missed where the 'free' part came in? This is a free service? Come on ...

I was referring to the free digital copy of The Incredibles. Come on ... 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 57

Same here unable to connect to iTunes error. I've tried all morning always get the same error.

post #40 of 57
This is awesome!!! I linked the app with my iTunes and now The Incredibles is part of my library. It even shows up on my Apple TV under purchased movies!! Thanks Disney!! 👍
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Disney Movies Anywhere allows users to bypass Apple's store for iTunes content, comes with free movie
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Disney Movies Anywhere allows users to bypass Apple's store for iTunes content, comes with free movie