or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio

Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio - Page 2

post #41 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

I don't think you understand dates and spans of time. Ya see, the link you posted was the explanation of the SSL exploit as provided by Adam Langley on February 22nd whereas the 10.9.2 update containing a fix for that bug was released on February 25th. Perhaps you can now understand what's going on.

You seem to have missed my post to Tallest Skil. Ya see, you have to stay alert.
post #42 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

This was, by all accounts, the most serious breach in the history of computing. Therefore the fix should be the single greatest update ever done in the history of computing.

I wonder if as much attention will be paid to the fix as to the doomsayers claiming this was such huge security flaw?

There is no correction to risk level and effort to correct a risk, as noted by the on line, 10 characters, of repeated code is all it took to cause this issue.
Quote:
What I really like is how many talk about how this was such a big deal, yet nobody can produce a list of all the victims. Where are they? Where are the countless people who have had money taken from their bank, charges of their credit cards or iTunes accounts compromised?

Security is most effective when one taking proactive measures. It's why we have passwords in the first place instead of waiting for something to type in our usernames without our permission.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 186
I just installed the update onto my MacBook Pro… and now the speakers do NOT work! Still get sound via bluetooth, but no sound out via the speakers at all… geez.
-e
post #44 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

I don't think you understand dates and spans of time. Ya see, the link you posted was the explanation of the SSL exploit as provided by Adam Langley on February 22nd whereas the 10.9.2 update containing a fix for that bug was released on February 25th. Perhaps you can now understand what's going on.

The time span is 18 months. What you're reporting is when the public became aware of the security issue. You're falsely attributing security to not having been privy to the breach prior to February 22nd. You have no idea who or what has been exploiting this bug for the last 18 months.

post #45 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

These point releases are getting increasingly boring - the Jaguar and Panther times were more interesting, I must say.

I'm actually glad Apple keeps adding more under the hood changes and improvements. This keeps the underpinnings of OS X more up to date unlike other OS's out there. This can set them up for future products and OS X features down the road. 

It's easy to say 10.2 and 10.3 were more interesting because back then it was just really a baby OS and needed these so called amazing new features to make the OS what it is today. Today, its a very mature OS and nothing of extreme significance needs to be added right now. I really don't see any issues with what they're going with OS X. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #46 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebergh View Post

I just installed the update onto my MacBook Pro… and now the speakers do NOT work! Still get sound via bluetooth, but no sound out via the speakers at all… geez.
-e

Audio works fine on my MBP. Maybe another restart? Reset PRAM?

post #47 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebergh View Post

-e

Restart again. If it still doesn't work grab the combo update and do it again but first your permissions and disk with Disk Utility to make sure there are no other issues.

post #48 of 186
Quote:

This was, by all accounts, the most serious breach in the history of computing. T
herefore the fix should be the single greatest update ever done
 in the history of computing.

I wonder if as much attention will be paid to the fix as to the doomsayers claiming this was such huge security flaw?

What I really like is how many talk about how this was such a big deal, yet nobody can produce a list of all the victims. Where are they? Where are the countless people who have had money taken from their bank, charges of their credit cards or iTunes accounts compromised?

I monitor my bank accounts and credit cards on a daily basis.

The worst problem I've had is one bogus charge to Discover from Brazil -- Discover caught the charge.

Discover has locked down my credit card 3 times in the last 5 months because of security -- and issued a new card. The problem with this is that I use Discover to autopay all the monthly bills I can (2% Cashback). Every time the card is reissued it screws up the autopay (sometimes with a charge from the payee). So, now I pay all my recurring bills manually.

Sigh ...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #49 of 186
A storm in a teacup
post #50 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm actually glad Apple keeps adding more under the hood changes and improvements. This keeps the underpinnings of OS X more up to date unlike other OS's out there. This can set them up for future products and OS X features down the road. 

It's easy to say 10.2 and 10.3 were more interesting because back then it was just really a baby OS and needed these so called amazing new features to make the OS what it is today. Today, its a very mature OS and nothing of extreme significance needs to be added right now. I really don't see any issues with what they're going with OS X. 

I know that - but it doesn't mean it's not boring :D

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #51 of 186

Give me a break!  This whole thing has been so overstated!

It was a very specific and even minor threat for most typical users!

And Apple was able to fix it in 24 hours.

This is a non-story being shouted from the rooftops.

post #52 of 186

Mail still doesn't fetch worth a damn.

post #53 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Updated ... All is fine, so far ...

"This is your captain speaking, there is no reason for alarm..."
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #54 of 186

Changed the power button behavior from touching and going to sleep to touching and nothing happens.  You have to press for one second to go to sleep and about 3 to get the options dialog box.  Excellent.  

post #55 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Give me a break!  This whole thing has been so overstated!

It was a very specific and even minor threat for most typical users!

And Apple was able to fix it in 24 hours.

This is a non-story being shouted from the rooftops.

1) It didn't take only 24 hours to issue a fix since it went public.

2) It's been out there for about 18 months.

3) You have no idea who or what could have or will have access to any account that used their SSL. Do you think people that had their CC card stolen in that Target breach should wait until their card is illegally used before getting a new card? And that actually takes more time to complete and has zero risk for the user since your accounts are insured.

post #56 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Mail still doesn't fetch worth a damn.

Interesting. I've not had a single issue with Mail in Mavericks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #57 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Changed the power button behavior from touching and going to sleep to touching and nothing happens.  You have to press for one second to go to sleep and about 3 to get the options dialog box.  Excellent.  

How do you do that? I find that to be the worst features with the new MBP design putting the power button next to the volume up and delete buttons.

post #58 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

These point releases are getting increasingly boring - the Jaguar and Panther times were more interesting, I must say.

I had a thought while I waited for the 15 minutes to update -- an epiphany, actually!

From the Apple ][ days, Apple computers have had a good part of their OS in the hardware (Integer BASIC, MiniAssembler, Debugger, etc.) -- in ROMS, PROMS and EPROMS. This was especially true of the Original Macs. To some extent, this is still true today with the TouchID enclave in the A7 and with the various programming constructs in the M7.

It seems to me, that there could be many advantages to moving lower-level constructs of the OS into hardware where they can be more securely monitored and controlled. There are established, secure, protocols for patching/overriding code in ROMS, PROMS and EPROMS -- I suspect that this could be true of logic on the Ax and Mx chips.

Hmmm ...

post #59 of 186
Why can't they fix this freakin gmail problem already. There's been like what, 3 or 4 so called mail fix updates and still doesn't work. Uhg.
post #60 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Why can't they fix this freakin gmail problem already. There's been like what, 3 or 4 so called mail fix updates and still doesn't work. Uhg.

What problems are you having? Just wondering if they are the same as mine.

post #61 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

What problems are you having? Just wondering if they are the same as mine.

I'd like to know also. I've not had any Gmail issues with Apple's Mail.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #62 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd like to know also. I've not had any Gmail issues with Apple's Mail.

Did you see my prior post? I cannot get an unread count on my Gmail and Google Apps inboxes and therefore cannot get an unread count on the dock icon. This has been an ongoing issue for me since upgrading to Mavericks. In addition to this, if I read emails on Gmail they either take forever or never get marked as read in Mail. I don't know if this update fixed that, but it most certainly did not fix my unread count issues.

post #63 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How do you do that? I find that to be the worst features with the new MBP design putting the power button next to the volume up and delete buttons.

I only had it a couple of times when Mavericks first came out.  It was habit for me to push the power button (17" 2011 MacBook Pro) to bring up the options box and turn if off.  Took a little bit of time to get rid of that habit.  I just think it was dumb to even introduce it.  

post #64 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

Did you see my prior post? I cannot get an unread count on my Gmail and Google Apps inboxes and therefore cannot get an unread count on the dock icon. This has been an ongoing issue for me since upgrading to Mavericks. In addition to this, if I read emails on Gmail they either take forever or never get marked as read in Mail. I don't know if this update fixed that, but it most certainly did not fix my unread count issues.

Have you tried forwarding your Gmail to an iCloud account that is setup in Mail? You can still have your return mail server and email address being your gmail account which makes this invisible to everyone except hose would look at the raw headers of a conversation.

post #65 of 186
Quote:

Have you tried forwarding your Gmail to an iCloud account that is setup in Mail? You can still have your return mail server and email address being your gmail account which makes this invisible to everyone except hose would look at the raw headers of a conversation.

No, I have not tried that. I appreciate the suggestion for the workaround, but I really think this issue needs to be fixed by Apple. It worked fine in 10.8 and was broken in 10.9. I have other apps and the web interface to get my by, but I really had my hopes up that this would finally get fixed.

post #66 of 186
This update put a spring in my step and resolved an issue for me where, if I gambled, I would lose large amounts of money.

Highly recommended.
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
post #67 of 186
Quote:

Can you post link to at least one of those ads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z0Ia5jDt4 @2:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away.

It’s laughable how pathetic you are.

Go ahead, laugh. I really could not care less what you think of me or my opinions.

post #68 of 186

Usually I leave a few days before updating my work machine. Because Apple's bundled the security fix, I don't have that option.

Here's hoping that 10.9.2 is rock solid...

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #69 of 186
Quote:

3) You have no idea who or what could have or will have access to any account that used their SSL. Do you think people that had their CC card stolen in that Target breach should wait until their card is illegally used before getting a new card? And that actually takes more time to complete and has zero risk for the user since your accounts are insured.

Target was a specific "targeted" attack (no pun intended) by a highly organized group of people. Until someone has concrete evidence that this exploit was actually used to gain access to a significant number of users credit cards or usernames/passwords I don't think there's anything to worry about. I change my passwords fairly regularly anyway, so changing a couple right now (like my bank and CC's) is all I feel I need to do.

I'm not saying this isn't a serious issue - the exploit is real. I'm just sick of people taking about what "might" have happened as if it "actually" happened. It makes for great news stories, that's about it.

The only people who will be talking about this is 6 months are the Apple haters who have another standard go-to quote to post up (filed away in the same drawer as "antennagate" or "maps gate").

post #70 of 186

you know what, it seems like it might be good now. i hope. ill reply back in a while.

at first i seen lots of messages that were deleted on the iPhone the past two days

still in the mac mail inbox but then after a few it synced up correctly.

But it seemed to work at first after one of the other updates too then went to shit, so let me 

take that first post back and hope it works. For now it seems to be. Thank u apple 

post #71 of 186

Does anyone know of info regarding specifics and how-to to blocking users on OSX iMessages?  I've been eagerly waiting for this update as my iOS devices block users just fine, but I was still getting them on my Mac's messages.

The "Block User" option is still greyed-out in Messages.  Anyone have ideas?

post #72 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z0Ia5jDt4 @2:36

1) Since when do Windows viruses affect Macs?

2) Again, where did Apple ever state Macs were infallible.

3) Proof that your wrong is the fact that security updates for Mac OS X used to be released independently of their point updates as noted at the following links…

Quote:

Target was a specific "targeted" attack (no pun intended) by a highly organized group of people. Until someone has concrete evidence that this exploit was actually used to gain access to a significant number of users credit cards or usernames/passwords I don't think there's anything to worry about. I change my passwords fairly regularly anyway, so changing a couple right now (like my bank and CC's) is all I feel I need to do.

I'm not saying this isn't a serious issue - the exploit is real. I'm just sick of people taking about what "might" have happened as if it "actually" happened. It makes for great news stories, that's about it.

The only people who will be talking about this is 6 months are the Apple haters who have another standard go-to quote to post up (filed away in the same drawer as "antennagate" or "maps gate").

The who is irrelevant, but the potential for having your data compromised is very real and to assume that if you aren't aware of your data being comprised today means that your data hasn't been comprised or will be compromised based on previous dumps that will later be analyzed in the future is not a rational position to take. The point is data was compromised and one should be proactive in trying to prevent themselves from becoming a victim in the future through the very simple measures that take as much effort to complete as writing in a forum that there is nothing to worry about if you have no information of yet being victimized.

post #73 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your “opinions” are lies.

Wow. My opinions are lies?

"~~o·pin·ion /ə'pɪnjən/  noun 1.a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty •"

If my opinions were true they'd be facts

post #74 of 186

Still waiting for a report of one instance of this vulnerability having been exploited.

Anyone…? Anyone…?  {sincere}

post #75 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Does anyone know of info regarding specifics and how-to to blocking users on OSX iMessages?  I've been eagerly waiting for this update as my iOS devices block users just fine, but I was still getting them on my Mac's messages.

This block user option is greyed out?

post #76 of 186

Also, just so you know, Update / patch is available for 10.6 (maybe others as well?)

post #77 of 186

Quote:

1) Since when do Windows viruses affect Macs?

I never said that. One of the biggest themes in those ads was the fact that "PCs crash, Macs don't" or "PCs get viruses, Macs don't".

The word "infallible" was never directly used but it was implied

And I'm not trying to start and argument here, I'm just pointing out that Macs are not perfect. Nothing is

post #78 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

To update or not to update..in the middle of work day...that is the question.

Took about 5 minutes over the university wifi: 400-ish MB. Restart was needed, took longer than the download.

post #79 of 186
Quote:

Quote:
I never said that. One of the biggest themes in those ads was the fact that "PCs crash, Macs don't" or "PCs get viruses, Macs don't".

And I'm not trying to start and argument here, I'm just pointing out that Macs are not perfect. Nothing is

Again, Apple never said Mac OS was incapable of getting any viruses or malware. Apple never implied that their code was error free. Apple never made a single statement that the Mac was incapable of ever failing and the very fact they issue point and security updates is proof that they fix bugs in their code.

in•fall•ib•le |inˈfaləbəl|
adjective
never failing; always effective.

If you've fallen victim to a marketing campaign because you can't separate Windows and Mac OS X being different operating systems that would be affected by different viruses and malware that is on you. When did Apple first start using their built-in virus protection? When did Apple start requiring an admin username and password to install apps that need access outside the user environment? When did Apple add "Open safe files after downloading"? None of these things would even be necessary if Apple believed that their OS was infallible.

post #80 of 186
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Greyed out where? On the window’s interface for each individual user, or in Preferences?

Wow. My opinions are lies?

You know, someday all these people will grow up and comprehend that they can believe something that isn’t true.

And that makes their opinion a lie. 

Opinions can be both lies and truth. What opinions inherently CANNOT BE is “not wrong”.

I never said that.

And the backpedaling begins:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post
I remember the old days when Apple ads used to claim their OS was infallible.

I’m sure that saying this and then posting of a video that explicitly talks about PC viruses means you didn’t say that.

"PCs get viruses, Macs don't".

…”get PC viruses”, which was the explicit wording on their website and elsewhere.

Nope. “And while no system is 100% secure” is also straight from the website.

And Im not trying to start and argument here

Then you probably shouldn’t have started one. Apple has never said any of their systems are infallible. Ever. At any time. Nor claimed anything like that.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio