or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio

Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio - Page 3

post #81 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This block user option is greyed out?

Sorry... it's not.  Thanks for pointing that panel Solips.  I was actually referring to the Messages/Buddies/Block Person option on the pull-down menu.  I didn't notice the option on this panel.  It pulled all my blocked-contacts from iCloud just fine.  Looks like I'm good to go.

I wonder why Apple doesn't make the "Block Person" option available?  I won't lose sleep over it. 

post #82 of 186

So far so good.  Seems like iMessage has a problem connecting to Yahoo IM -- could be a Yahoo issue, however...  

Surprised not to see any news about the software update from Bluetooth 4.0 --> 4.1 with 10.9.2!:

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Press-Releases-Detail.aspx?ItemID=197

The Bluetooth 4.1 update is all software related, which means manufacturers will be able to start rolling out over-the-air updates to existing Bluetooth 4.0 devices.

post #83 of 186
I can't help feeling that this item is really the usual "Computer software is discovered to have security bug. Bug has been fixed. An update has been issued"

This news item will repeat in 6 months time. And again. And again. Until. You. Stop. Using. A. Computer. Connected. To. The. Internet.
post #84 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

I remember the old days when Apple ads used to claim their OS was infallible.

Obviously your memory is playing tricks on you.  Apple (and no sane company) never said that.

post #85 of 186
Quote:
The who is irrelevant, but the potential for having your data compromised is very real and to assume that if you aren't aware of your data being comprised today means that your data hasn't been comprised or will be compromised based on previous dumps that will later be analyzed in the future is not a rational position to take. The point is data was compromised and one should be proactive in trying to prevent themselves from becoming a victim in the future through the very simple measures that take as much effort to complete as writing in a forum that there is nothing to worry about if you have no information of yet being victimized.

Let me parse what you're saying (the highlighted part, especially) and you please tell me if you agree.

Data was compromised in the sense that there was a security gap that could have been exploited, but not necessarily in the sense that someone actually did exploit it.  This is no different from if we learned that due to a configuration error (now fixed) it would have been possible for a person to intercept your cell phone calls yesterday.  So if and only if someone was actually intercepting your calls yesterday, you have a problem.  Likewise, if, and only if, someone was exploiting this bug and tricked you to go to a fake site during the past 18 months, then you're screwed.  If they didn't, then you dodged a bullet.  Our risk was higher over the past few days since the bug was advertised, but again until a hacker managed to catch you in his net since then, you're fine.

On the other hand, everyone go ahead and change your passwords.  You've used the same ones at too many shady sites over the years and I'm surprised you haven't already been hacked (unrelated to this bug).

post #86 of 186

The gotofail.com site even confirms OS X 10.8.5 and Safari 6.1.1 is safe as well as FireFox 27.0.1 with the following result when you force the test:

We have examined your OS and browser version information and determined that an active vulnerability test was appropriate. Fortunately, your browser correctly aborted loading our test image upon seeing an invalid ServerKeyExchange message.

So this SSL bug must have been another Mavericks clusterf**k like the Mail app.  So they had to patch it for Mavericks, but it was never an issue for OS X 10.8.5.  Another reason to stick with what works, and Mavericks is still a mess.  I doubt the Mail issues will be fixed with this patch.

post #87 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Let me parse what you're saying (the highlighted part, especially) and you please tell me if you agree.

Data was compromised in the sense that there was a security gap that could have been exploited, but not necessarily in the sense that someone actually did exploit it.  This is no different from if we learned that due to a configuration error (now fixed) it would have been possible for a person to intercept your cell phone calls yesterday.  So if and only if someone was actually intercepting your calls yesterday, you have a problem.  Likewise, if, and only if, someone was exploiting this bug and tricked you to go to a fake site during the past 18 months, then you're screwed.  If they didn't, then you dodged a bullet.  Our risk was higher over the past few days since the bug was advertised, but again until a hacker managed to catch you in his net since then, you're fine.

On the other hand, everyone go ahead and change your passwords.  You've used the same ones at too many shady sites over the years and I'm surprised you haven't already been hacked (unrelated to this bug).

I can't make heads or tails of your comment and have no idea what a fake site has to do with anything. If you don't think there is a problem with essentially logging into personal sites with plaintext over the last 18 months then this security hole will mean nothing to you, but even on a my secured LAN at home I use SSL to log into financial institutions, sync/backup with iCloud, etc. because it's foolish to trust your end-to-end data through various ISPs.

PS: If AI offered a paid option to gain access to an HTTPS version of their site and forums I would purchase it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #88 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except I already know that opinions can be true or false. So just shut up and go away.

Is that honestly your response to everyone who doesn't agree with you?

I read through your profile. You say you're a self-hater. Do you really think pushing your anger on everyone else will help? It wouldn't hurt to be nice occasionally.

post #89 of 186
Is that honestly your response to everyone who doesn't agree with you?

No, but if you cared anything about what you were saying, you’d know that.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #90 of 186
Quote:

Greyed out where? On the window’s interface for each individual user, or in Preferences?

On the menu bar.... "Messages->Buddies->Block Person".   That is still greyed-out, but thanks to Solips, Its in the preference panel and that part does work.

post #91 of 186

Obviously Apple doesn't take OS X seriously anymore.

To wait several days for the 10.9.2 release to fix a severe bug like this - I'm gobsmacked how non-professional Apple's behaviour in this case is.

post #92 of 186
Originally Posted by smalM View Post
To wait several days for the 10.9.2 release to fix a severe bug like this - I'm gobsmacked how non-professional Apple's behaviour in this case is.

Yeah, how dare they make sure the fix works properly¡!

post #93 of 186
Quote:

I can't make heads or tails of your comment and have no idea what a fake site has to do with anything. If you don't think there is a problem with essentially logging into personal sites with plaintext over the last 18 months then this security hole will mean nothing to you, but even on a my secured LAN at home I use SSL to log into financial institutions, sync/backup with iCloud, etc. because it's foolish to trust your end-to-end data through various ISPs.

PS: If AI offered a paid option to gain access to an HTTPS version of their site and forums I would purchase it.

Huh.  Let me try again then.  It's possible that I misunderstanding the vulnerability (which is why I asked for clarification of your assertions in the first place).

I thought the bug only allowed sites to impersonate other secured sites.  Is it really that case that nothing that was sent via Safari to a secure site was actually encrypted at all?

post #94 of 186
Quote:

Except I already know that opinions can be true or false. So just shut up and go away.

I think you suffer greatly from misunderstanding semantics.  Opinions can't be true or false - unless the opinion is given falsely in order to misdirect. The very nature of an opinion is that it is what one believes to be true.

The conviction behind the opinion can be true or false, or more likely somewhere in between.

post #95 of 186
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post
The very nature of an opinion is that it is what one believes to be true.

Beliefs can be false. Opinions are beliefs. Therefore opinions can be false. Since I’ve already said that, there’s no reason for me to be repeating it. Doesn’t even bear it. And yet here we are. I don’t get it. :???:

You can think something and be wrong. 

post #96 of 186
Quote:

So are you going to get rid of all your Apple gear and go with a truly secure operating system? I mean who would want to stick with a company as ‘non-professional’ as Apple. All this indignation but are you going to DO something about it? Just pontificating, blathering, whining, what?

post #97 of 186
Quote:

Huh.  Let me try again then.  It's possible that I misunderstanding the vulnerability (which is why I asked for clarification of your assertions in the first place).

I thought the bug only allowed sites to impersonate other secured sites.  Is it really that case that nothing that was sent via Safari to a secure site was actually encrypted at all?

Any packets you thought you were sending via Apple's SSL is potentially readable. This is why people made a comment about not using public WiFi but they weren't considering the start to finish with all the servers and routers between you and the end server to which you thought you were making a secure connection.

Impersonating a secured site is irrelevant as phishing scams (which this is not) is about impersonating a site in general. In fact, a phishing site could still use SSL that was truly encrypted but you're willfully giving them your data.

post #98 of 186
Quote:

I would have liked to have seen an update issued as swiftly as with iOS but I think the Mac update was still issued quickly.

Quote:

Beliefs can be false. Opinions are beliefs. Therefore opinions can be false. Since I’ve already said that, there’s no reason for me to be repeating it. Doesn’t even bear it. And yet here we are. I don’t get it. 
" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1confused.gif" style="line-height:1.4em;">

You can think something and be wrong. 

A belief can be false but the view (i.e.: opinion) can't be false since it's a self-report. It's a difference of where the subject resides in the statement. For instance, if someone stated "I believe the Earth is flat" it's a truthful opinion that they think the Earth is flat even though it's factually incorrect.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/25/14 at 3:01pm

post #99 of 186
the view (i.e.: opinion) cant be false since it's a self-report.

Unless it explicitly contradicts their knowledge or is willfully presented as a contradiction to established fact.

For instance, if someone stated "I believe the Earth is flat" it's a truthful opinion that they think the Earth is flat even though it's factually incorrect.

Sure, a “truthful opinion”, but still incorrect.

post #100 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebergh View Post

I just installed the update onto my MacBook Pro… and now the speakers do NOT work! Still get sound via bluetooth, but no sound out via the speakers at all… geez.
-e

Yes, but at least your secrets are safe.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #101 of 186
Quote:

Yes. Clearly they were dicking around for 4 days instead of fixing this bug. /s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #102 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, but at least your secrets are safe.

If his speakers worked it would interfere with the NSA listening through his microphone.

post #103 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

What problems are you having? Just wondering if they are the same as mine.
I replied back earlier but didn't quote it so not sure if u read it but said that after a while it synced up it seemed to be working good. The problem was that deleted messages from other devices or even gmail web would stay in the Mac mail inbox and unread counts wouldn't be right. Anyway after a while I'm here to say it's definitely finally working great for me. About time.
post #104 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Still waiting for a report of one instance of this vulnerability having been exploited.
Anyone…? Anyone…?  {sincere}

Who knows. However a non secure SSL layer is hardly something to ignore.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #105 of 186
Quote:
A belief can be false but the view (i.e.: opinion) can't be false since it's a self-report. It's a difference of where the subject resides in the statement. For instance, if someone stated "I believe the Earth is flat" it's a truthful opinion that they think the Earth is flat even though it's factually incorrect.

That's exactly the example I was going to use - I better change the password in my brain.

I'm on the other side, though: If my opinion is that "The Earth is flat", then that opinion is contrary to fact, and is false. The statement "I believe the Earth is flat" is still true, of course, but that's a statement ABOUT my opinion, not the opinion itself. 

By the way, did anyone see the episode of "The Good Wife" where the judge required all the lawyers to end their statements with "in my opinion"?. It was pretty funny.

post #106 of 186
Quote:

*yawn* 

Quote:

Yeah, how dare they make sure the fix works properly¡!

Yeah... he's so "gobsmacked", that makes it even more important!!! 

post #107 of 186
Quote:

They could try and impersonate a secure site but then they might as well phish you to a http site, who looks at the bar anyway?

The main issue is man in the middle. An attacker ( c) can intercept secure traffic between a + b by reading the public key from (a) requested by (b) and then pretending to be (a) but sending it's own public key so it can decrypt (b)'s messages.

Having a properly signed cert verification stage should cause this attempt to fail. The last part of the missing code in apples goto fail missed the verification step ( which either has a list of known certs, or talks to an authority, like Verisign, or both).

This is very basic and it calls into question not just the coding style which lead to this ( not just the gotos but the way it would succeed, ie actually just clean up when sopposedly "failing") and lack of code reviews and proper compiler warnings - I mean that's true but people are human - but the testing. The sad truth is nobody in Apple tested a site with a bad cert, nobody wrote those test scripts. That's the fundamental test for ssl security. The goto fail website produced a test in 10 minutes. What is going on?
Edited by asdasd - 2/25/14 at 4:06pm
post #108 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

That's exactly the example I was going to use - I better change the password in my brain.

I'm on the other side, though: If my opinion is that "The Earth is flat", then that opinion is contrary to fact, and is false. The statement "I believe the Earth is flat" is still true, of course, but that's a statement ABOUT my opinion, not the opinion itself. 

By the way, did anyone see the episode of "The Good Wife" where the judge required all the lawyers to end their statements with "in my opinion"?. It was pretty funny.

That scene was posted to this forum a couple weeks ago. It was the first time I had ever seen a clip from that show and makes me want to watch the show after I finish up with my current season of shows.

post #109 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Awww, they fixed the Gotofail bug.  Now what will all these poor click-whoring bloggers and stock manipulators have to get their panties all bunched up for now?

time to raise the bounty.   we need dirt.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #110 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Quote:

They patched it but remember that everything you may have sent via for the last 18 months can now be easily read by anyone that may have captured your data. It's not just public WiFI hotspots you need to consider. In fact, I'd say that is the least likely threat to your privacy you are bound to experience from this security bug. Again, I recommend everyone at least change their iTunes/iCloud password.
Unfortunately we all thought everything was fine up until late last week. 1biggrin.gif
If wifi hotspots aren't a concern, then what things are (or were)?

And if someone has my info, why bother waiting for me to change my passwords? Why not use that info right away before I know what's happened?

exactly!!! lets be practical about this. 

post #111 of 186
Quote:

They may not believe it, but some of their die-hards do

You are just plain wrong. In fact Apple always made a point of NOT making such claims. Of course for a long time it was true that exploits were not directed against them and many outside Apple noted that fact. But Apple never once said that the OS was impregnable. Hackers were not targeting them but that was simply because they would not reap the same level of damage and consequent notoriety. Apple were very careful and circumspect on this issue — traits that you would do well to acquire. You are spreading nonsense here and no one appreciates it. Go away; learn how to think and post responsibly.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #112 of 186
Quote:

Shut up and go away.

It’s laughable how pathetic you are.

Here's one where they're talking about Macs not getting viruses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF7habaTvAY

post #113 of 186

I've never had any of the fixed problems with Mail, unread messages or unread counts, then again I don't use GMail.

Unfortunately ALL my Mail issues remain : 

• The Address Panel is still dead and useless, clicking or double-clicking still doesn't populate To: or Bcc: boxes, not with Groups or even individuals. Is there a new setting in Mavericks that I missed ?
  • Message Attributes are always reset, specifically Size, where you have to select it twice every time to get it back, for every folder, before you actually get the Size to display as well as the checkmark in the menu.
  • When initiating an email from Safari, Font always resets to Times New Roman  rather than the default chosen in Preferences and the Format bar is always hidden.

Of course these are minor annoyances compared to security issues which is the dominant topic of this forum, but it's always frustrating when some of your legacy features and conveniences that you've been using for many years are stripped for no apparent reason. Suggestions of fixes would be welcome. Anybody ?

post #114 of 186
Quote:

Again, Apple never said Mac OS was incapable of getting any viruses or malware.

Uhhhhhhh.

PC Guy: "You'd better stay back, this one's a doozy"

Mac Guy: "That's OK, I'll be fine"

PC Guy: "Actually there are 114,000 known viruses for PC's"

Mac Guy: "PC's, not Macs"

Screenshots from the old "Why you'll love a Mac" (showing the flip flop):

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/wp-content/uploads//2012/06/sophos.jpg

And here's the web page via the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120329193342/http://www.apple.com/why-mac/better-os/

And I quote the page:

It doesn’t get PC viruses.

A Mac isn’t susceptible to the thousands of viruses plaguing Windows-based computers. That’s thanks to built-in defenses in Mac OS X that keep you safe, without any work on your part.

Edited by runbuh - 2/25/14 at 4:58pm
post #115 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

You seem to confuse two persons.
But your wrong, even good network hygiene won't save you if your unlucky (see my other post).

no... I tried to retain a thread.  I was agreeing with TS (my editting sucked today... bad network performance and mental timeslicing).

As for me being wrong...  I never said you were 100% safe... I just indicated that your risk was lower than 100%.   and that patching your system didn't fix any problems if you're 'luck' was bad.  

In any 'defense in depth' risk management scheme, human action is the first level, but there are several other levels... frequent changing of repeating secrets (passwords), monitoring of transactions, vulnerability management, hardening systems, etc..  focusing on the one level (VM) without the others is like focusing your toothpaste brand, and but not caring how often you brush your teeth, avoiding sugar and acid foods, go to the dentist, flossing, or wearing a mouthguard when you play contact sports.   

and back to the point... no amount of patching will 'undo' the impact.   Due to the length of time  this flaw was in the wild, and the potential that it was discovered by at least one 'grey/black' hat entity (e.g. NSA's inclusion of iOS in PRISM at the same time the code seems to have been introduced... if they found, we must assume someone else could have [unless we are into conspiracy theories of code planting]), the wise thing is to suck it up, and start changing passwords, and being vigilant on monitoring financial/credit transactions.   

post #116 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Quote:

Again, Apple never said Mac OS was incapable of getting any viruses or malware.

Uhhhhhhh.

PC Guy: "You'd better stay back, this one's a doozy"

Mac Guy: "That's OK, I'll be fine"

Screenshots from the old "Why you'll love a Mac" (showing the flip flop):

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/wp-content/uploads//2012/06/sophos.jpg

Right. 114,000 PC viruses for the PC; not for the Mac.

What's your beef?  That they didn't site the half dozen viruses that were written for an old Mac operating system that doesn't even exist on modern Macintosh computers anymore? (OS 9)

As for malicious ware on 21st century Macintoshes; Well, you would be talking about "trojans", not viruses.

(lookitup)

post #117 of 186
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Uhhhhhhh.

Not a single word of what you have written disproves his statement in any respect.

post #118 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

And if someone has my info, why bother waiting for me to change my passwords?

Why would someone wait for you to change your password before trying to steal your data?
Quote:
Why not use that info right away before I know what's happened?

Who says they haven't been using it? You being unaware of something doesn't mean it hasn't happening?

Also, why assume they necessarily had access to read your data before now? As I stated, I have GiBs of data I pulled for testing but I couldn't read because it was encrypted… or so I thought. Now I can go back to all those packets I've pulled in the last 18 months and read every little bit of them. Now imagine if someone was grabbing data for dubious reasons in hopes of finding a hole. Do you want to be able to read all the data you thought you had sent securely? Do you want to have your login credentials going forward?

You et al. seem to be coming at this like it's out of some cheesy hacker movie and anything less just isn't worth entertaining. That's foolish.

post #119 of 186

I hate to interrupt all the snark, but can someone post a build number for 10.9.2?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #120 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I hate to interrupt all the snark, but can someone post a build number for 10.9.2?

13C64

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio