or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › GSMA names Apple's iPad Air 'Best Mobile Tablet' of 2014

GSMA names Apple's iPad Air 'Best Mobile Tablet' of 2014

post #1 of 40
After being snubbed in 2013, Apple won the 19th annual Global Mobile Awards' "Best Mobile Tablet" for 2014 with the iPad Air, unseating last year's winners Google and Asus for their joint effort in the Nexus 7.

iPad Air

The iPad Air's award was one of many announced at the GSM Association's Mobile World Congress conference in Barcelona, Spain this week. While Apple does not have an official presence at the large gathering, many products and services represented at the conference run on the company's various hardware and software platforms.

According to the judges' comments, "The iPad Air packs class-leading performance in an attractive and svelte frame, while its ecosystem has an undisputed advantage in the number of format-optimized apps."

Precision-engineered to weigh just one pound, iPad Air is 20 percent thinner and 28 percent lighter than the fourth generation iPad, and with a 43 percent narrower bezel the borders of iPad Air are dramatically thinner. iPad Air's Retina display makes web pages, text, images and video look incredibly sharp and realistic, and the new power-efficient A7 chip allows the battery to be even smaller, helping reduce the overall volume by 24 percent from the previous generation while doubling its performance and maintaining its up to 10-hour battery life.

Other notable Global Mobile Awards wins for 2014 include HTC's One for Best Smartphone, CityMapper for Best Overall Mobile App and LG for Most Innovative Device Manufacturer.
post #2 of 40
"Mobile Tablet"? What? They're called iPads 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 40
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

In contrast to the immobile tablets, such as the real Surface and what Samsung will be releasing once the 13” iPad comes out.

post #4 of 40
The term mobile phone came about because phones before that we're mobile but I fail to see why we need to qualify the term tablet with mobile.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The term mobile phone came about because phones before that we're mobile but I fail to see why we need to qualify the term tablet with mobile.

I still wish some rich person would get me the Surface immobile table for playing RUSE...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #6 of 40
Quote:

Probably because there are also examples of tablets which aren't quite so mobile, like for example the Microsoft Surface (Microsoft hardware and software) from around 2008 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc

This is version 2.0 from 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL9MbEM2N4o (Samsung hardware and Microsoft software).

Edited by Chipsy - 2/25/14 at 4:47pm
post #7 of 40
Congratulations Apple for a well deserved honor.
post #8 of 40

Poor Samsung

post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Probably because there are also examples of tablets which aren't quite so mobile, like for example the Microsoft Surface (Microsoft hardware and software) from around 2008 or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc
This is version 2.0 from 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL9MbEM2N4o (Samsung hardware and Microsoft software).

The original Surface was a table.
post #10 of 40
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Exactly. All they did was add another ’T’ and boom.

post #11 of 40
Good for Apple they deserve it. I've really been enjoying my iPad Air the past few months.
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
post #12 of 40
Quote:

Although often called a 'table' the use of that term is debatable. It certainly isn't a table by the strict definition of the word: "a piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs, providing a level surface for eating, writing, or working at". One the Surface (certainly the 2.0) itself didn't have legs, the actual screen and the frame that it often rested on were separate. Two the Surface for example was also designed to be used vertically as well as horizontally.

I guess we are getting too much into unnecessary detail here, the definition of 'tablet' seems more appropriate for the original Surface than 'table'. (Microsoft simply called it 'Surface computer' I think).

post #13 of 40
Quote:

Microsoft and Samsung had to re-name the SUR-40 table (the 2nd version of the Surface) once Microsoft decided to call their tablets Surface. So the new name? "Samsung SUR40 with Microsoft® PixelSense™." Rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

I think the SUR40 is being discontinued (if it hasn't been already). Maybe because the IR based sensor array is just too susceptible to ambient IR, or maybe just price (~$9K). It included an embedded PC and was nice (in the right environment) to be able to detect simple shapes or block codes laid directly on the screen, but many applications didn't take advantage of this and were simply multi-touch oriented--which can be done cheaper with pro-cap type touch screens with a separate, ultra-small form factor computer.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

post #14 of 40
Quote:

Although often called a 'table' the use of that term is debatable. It certainly isn't a table by the strict definition of the word: "a piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs, providing a level surface for eating, writing, or working at". One the Surface (certainly the 2.0) itself didn't have legs, the actual screen and the frame that it often rested on were separate. Two the Surface for example was also designed to be used vertically as well as horizontally.

I guess we are getting too much into unnecessary detail here, the definition of 'tablet' seems more appropriate for the original Surface than 'table'. (Microsoft simply called it 'Surface computer' I think).

The Samsung SUR 40 was definitely a table (with optional legs, or, you could design your own). See my reply to jungmark.

post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

The Samsung SUR 40 was definitely a table (with optional legs, or, you could design your own). See my reply to jungmark.

It could be turned into a table, but does that make it a table? It was also possible for example to wall mount the SUR-40 (like demonstrated by Microsoft in the advertising).

Oh well I guess there is little sense in further nitpicking stuff like this :).

Back on topic: Certainly a well deserved award for the iPad Air.

post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

In contrast to the immobile tablets, such as the real Surface and what Samsung will be releasing once the 13” iPad comes out.

stone tablets?

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #17 of 40
Originally Posted by snova View Post
stone tablets?

I was thinking more a 17” and a 19”. You know, to replace Samsung laptops after Apple has replaced theirs. :p

post #18 of 40

That's hardly an achievement - standing out as the winner among a competition of stupid tablets that don't even know what they are. No award or recognition is required because the iPads and iPhones have always been the best since their conception.

post #19 of 40
OK, I'm trying to picture this.  so you and a 100 of your tablet competitors spends money on travel, say goodbye to family for the week, fight traffic,  get the pat down at the airport, stuff yourself into an airplane, hunt for your luggage,  eventually get yourself to the hotel.  Within a few hours, the alarm goes off, you drag yourself out of bed with zero sleep due to jet lag, get yourself all pretty for photos in your nice suit.  Show up at the awards ceremony.. and after all that they have the nerve to give the award to the one guy that does not even have any interest in showing up to the party. 

Edited by snova - 2/25/14 at 10:33pm
post #20 of 40
Quote:

I believe the term "mobile" in mobile tablet is in reference that it can connect to a mobile network. Not that it can be easily moved around from place to place. So an iPad with just WiFi would be called a tablet. But an iPad with 3G or 4G is a mobile tablet.

post #21 of 40
Not saying bad thing about HTC, but half of their "best phone" from Apple.
Without Apple, how could they use CNC and laser to build the phone?
HTC One looks like porting a MacBook Pro top case in a phone.
P.S. Why Tim Cook share patents with HTC? Just sue them until HTC bankrupt and buy it at cheap price.
post #22 of 40

Nexus 7 won last years award.

Award means nothing and is a clown show. 

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with.  I have the feeling they will launch a new category that is a cross between laptops and tablets.  I am also expecting something in the phablet space. If you add the wearable rumors and the Apple TV w/games rumors, it will be an interesting year.

On the other hand, its going to be hard for Samsung this year, in the Android space other manufacturers are making a comeback.

post #24 of 40
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

It could be turned into a table, but does that make it a table? It was also possible for example to wall mount the SUR-40 (like demonstrated by Microsoft in the advertising).
Oh well I guess there is little sense in further nitpicking stuff like this 1smile.gif.

Back on topic: Certainly a well deserved award for the iPad Air.

Yes, the original was most definitely a table almost 2 feet deep and most definitely not wall mountable.
I remember seeing one being set up in a London architects office reception area(ahem!...now building something for Apple:D) where they struggled for most of a day to find the 'ON' switch, needing to contact MS for instructions which was a major usability fail. Over a period of 2 months I only ever saw it displaying the water ripple screensaver or being used for empty coffee cups. Whereupon it disappeared.
post #25 of 40

GSMA is basing their results on hardware specs only, if they factor in software quality and software availability the iPad would've won all the previous years. Nexus 7 shouldn't have won last year.

Quote:
Other notable Global Mobile Awards wins for 2014 include HTC's One for Best Smartphone, CityMapper for Best Overall Mobile App and LG for Most Innovative Device Manufacturer.

Really?! LG! 

HTC as the best smartphone?! Wasn't LG on of the two companies, the other being Samsung, that rigged their benchmark results and got delisted by major benchmarking services?

bb
bb
post #26 of 40
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I have the feeling they will launch a new category that is a cross between laptops and tablets.

Rather, since tablets are the middle ground between smartphones and laptops, a larger tablet would be the replacement for laptops.

On the other hand, its going to be hard for Samsung this year, in the Android space other manufacturers are making a comeback.

BURN THEM TO THE GROUND.

post #27 of 40

This, making my upcoming decision that much tougher. I have a 1st-gen Mini that will likely be replaced next month and I'm trying to decide between the new Mini and the Air. Love the Mini form factor, but I do a fair bit of reading and often use my iPad as a second monitor (using the brilliant Air Display) which has me thinking the full-size screen might be nice too.

Ugh, someone make the decision for me :)

post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nexus 7 won last years award.

Award means nothing and is a clown show. 

So Apple iPad Air won this year without showing means MWC admiting they made a bad decision last year?  A friend asks me yesterday is there a Chinese handwriting recognition software for the Nexus 7 he bought.  I told him there should be one.  The difference between Androids and iOS is Apple configured all necessary things for the user.  The so-called openness of Android OS requires the users to look for what they need and install them by themselves. 

post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

This, making my upcoming decision that much tougher. I have a 1st-gen Mini that will likely be replaced next month and I'm trying to decide between the new Mini and the Air. Love the Mini form factor, but I do a fair bit of reading and often use my iPad as a second monitor (using the brilliant Air Display) which has me thinking the full-size screen might be nice too.

Ugh, someone make the decision for me 1smile.gif

Buy both 1smile.gif
post #30 of 40
Quote:

Buy both 1smile.gif

lol - now there's a solution I hadn't though of ;-)

post #31 of 40
Quote:

They will some how use it to segment the market to show that apple may not be doing as well as everyone thinks. kind of like Google owns mobile OS space with Andriod, since andriod is showing up on every cheap ass product out there since the knock off companies are too cheap to pay licensing for a real OS. I hope Oracle wins their new round of lawsuits again Google and forces ever company who download android to pay a licensing fee.

post #32 of 40
Quote:

Ugh, someone make the decision for me :)

djames4242,

I have both.   I'd suggest that you first take out factors that don't make much difference in the long run, and instead consider move heavily factors that are significant from every day of use.   If the Air is too large and it prevents you from carrying it around everyday, then get the mini.  If the Mini, is too small and prevents you from having a pleasureful reading experience every day then get the Air.  Figure out what you do more often. However, I'd personally take the price difference out of the equation as that will be long forgotten. Its the other stuff you will need to deal with on a daily basis that will make you pleased or unhappy with your decision. Hope that helps.

post #33 of 40
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
While Apple does not have an official presence at the large gathering, many products and services represented at the conference run on the company's various hardware and software platforms.

Just like CES.  And Macworld.

Apple's mindshare is something you simply can't buy and the world knows it.

But that won't stop Samsung from trying.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #34 of 40
All I can say is "Well Duh!"...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #35 of 40
Quote:

lol - now there's a solution I hadn't though of ;-)

I got a Mac mini in late December just for playing with Mavericks Server. I was shocked at the performance of the wee beast. This coming from someone also running a new Mac 6 Core Pro 2013 and a MBPro i7. You won't regret it. The iPad Air too, is a given ...1biggrin.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Just like CES.  And Macworld.

Apple's mindshare is something you simply can't buy and the world knows it.
But that won't stop Samsung from trying.

That's why Scamsung sell to the 'mindless' ... 1biggrin.gif

Caveat, I exclude buyers of their very nice double drawer, french door, fridge-freezers with cool (no pun intended) LED lighting ... 1tongue.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with.  I have the feeling they will launch a new category that is a cross between laptops and tablets. 

I want a Laplet!

post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

So Apple iPad Air won this year without showing means MWC admiting they made a bad decision last year?  A friend asks me yesterday is there a Chinese handwriting recognition software for the Nexus 7 he bought.  I told him there should be one.  The difference between Androids and iOS is Apple configured all necessary things for the user.  The so-called openness of Android OS requires the users to look for what they need and install them by themselves. 

Another way to spin this is, "Google is leaving opportunities for third-party developers."

post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Another way to spin this is, "Google is leaving opportunities for third-party developers."

and yet another way is that Apple is simply way better than google.

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

A friend asks me yesterday is there a Chinese handwriting recognition software for the Nexus 7 he bought.  I told him there should be one.  The difference between Androids and iOS is Apple configured all necessary things for the user.  The so-called openness of Android OS requires the users to look for what they need and install them by themselves. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

I thought Google Pinyin came preinstalled on most Android devices. 1confused.gif I know it came with my Nexus 7 purchased nearly two years ago but your friend may have assumed he needed to go find an app from a third party.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.pinyin&hl=en
Edited by Gatorguy - 2/27/14 at 4:54am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › GSMA names Apple's iPad Air 'Best Mobile Tablet' of 2014