or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple retains title of 'most admired' company for 7th straight victory
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple retains title of 'most admired' company for 7th straight victory

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
For the seventh year in a row, Apple has been deemed the "World's Most Admired Company," edging out rivals such as Amazon and Google to take first place in the 2014 rankings.

Fortune


The annual list of the "most admired" companies on the planet was published on Thursday by Fortune. While Apple remained No. 1, there were a number of changes in the top 10, starting off with Amazon and Google swapping places, and now representing second and third place, respectively.

Following those two rivals was Berkshire Hathaway in fourth place, followed by coffee maker Starbucks in fifth. Coca-Cola fell from fourth to sixth in this year's rankings, followed by Walt Disney in seventh.

Rounding out the top 10 were FedEx, Southwest Airlines, and General Electric. One major electronics company that fell out of this year's top 10 was IBM, which dropped to No. 16.

Other notable brands in the rankings include Nike (No. 13), Samsung Electronics (No. 21), Microsoft, (No. 24), Facebook (No. 38), eBay (No. 44), and Intel (No. 47).

U.S. wireless provider AT&T barely cracked the list at No. 50, while its chief rival Verizon was not ranked.

Fortune's annual "most admired" ranking is whittled down from a starting list of 1,400 companies. Eligible corporations are ranked by conducting surveys with 3,920 correspondents comprised of executives, directors and analysts.
post #2 of 51

AAPL tanks on the news.

post #3 of 51
Fortune quote:
Quote:
Google
Google 3
Top 50 rank: 3
Rank in Internet Services and Retailing: 1
(Previous rank: 1)
Overall score: 8.07
Ticker:GOOG

Why it's admired:
Though it dropped a spot to Amazon.com this year, Google continues to find ways to make life easier (sometimes creepily so) via mind-blowing Internet products. It also seeks to blow minds with its innovative “moonshot projects,” like the production of driverless cars. Google, which saw revenues climb 22% in 2013, acquired among other things, a handful of robotics companies and Nest, the smart thermostat company last year. --E.F.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #4 of 51
This and other such titles like th JDPowers customer satisfaction top ranks awarded to Apple along with the Q1 2014 POZITIVE and ascending overall results, generate tanking of the stock....I'm simply lost. The stock market behaves too irrational. Nothing is rational anymore, just pure speculation.
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

AAPL tanks on the news.
And news like this is also troll bait, unfortunately.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Fortune quote:
Quote:
Google
Google 3
Top 50 rank: 3
Rank in Internet Services and Retailing: 1
(Previous rank: 1)
Overall score: 8.07
Ticker:GOOG

Why it's admired:
Though it dropped a spot to Amazon.com this year, Google continues to find ways to make life easier (sometimes creepily so) via mind-blowing Internet products. It also seeks to blow minds with its innovative “moonshot projects,” like the production of driverless cars. Google, which saw revenues climb 22% in 2013, acquired among other things, a handful of robotics companies and Nest, the smart thermostat company last year. --E.F.

I guess Fortune hates Google too!

post #7 of 51
Amazon? Admired? Why?
post #8 of 51

Whoopy-frickin-do.

post #9 of 51
most admired but not even in fortune's top 100 best companies to work for ...
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

I guess Fortune hates Google too!

That, or they are simply being objective and not biased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Whoopy-frickin-do.

TS, is that you?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That, or they are simply being objective and not biased.

BTW you did recognize who "they" were. . . other business executives for the most part. It's a nice recognition.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #12 of 51
That's admirable.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That, or they are simply being objective and not biased.

BTW you did recognize who "they" were. . . other business executives for the most part. It's a nice recognition.

Heavens no. I was simply being my usually self, lambasting Google is all I know ™! Why Fortune wrote this I have no idea. Perhaps (part of) my views on Google are shared by others? Nah..
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Heavens no. I was simply being my usually self, lambasting Google is all I know ™! Why Fortune wrote this I have no idea. Perhaps (part of) my views on Google are shared by others? Nah..

err. . . Actually I was complementing Apple for the award. But yeah, Google and Amazon are also apparently admired by their business brethren.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #15 of 51
These are almost entirely American companies. Hard to believe there aren't more international companies on the list if this survey was done properly. I think the survey is more likely the most popular brands in the USA.
post #16 of 51

Who the hell admires google?!!!!!!! For their f**king Ads?????

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

err. . . Actually I was complementing Apple for the award. But yeah, Google and Amazon are also apparently admired by their business brethren.

Sorry slightly off topic but regarding Amazon's 'Admirability Level' ... Amazon deserves it IMHO it, perhaps not the Wall Street brown nosing, but certainly from consumers. The services is almost unbelievable. Only yesterday I returned a product I had ordered (and was shipped free) only to discover I'd ordered the wrong thing, totally my error which I admitted. I was given an immediate refund and they paid the return shipping! Mind blowing customer satisfaction generated immediately ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlack View Post

 I think the survey is more likely the most popular brands in the USA.

 

Nope. In the article, it says that these are the most admired brands on the planet.

 

American brands are far ahead of any other country's brands, when it comes to be being global juggernauts.

 

Even Samsung is on the list, though they're at #21.

post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Amazon? Admired? Why?

Service, speed, selection, and prices typically can't be beat. But I'm not just talking about their primary goods store. They also have their EC2 cloud computing. I can setup and run complex server scenarios that I can put on the internet and it's unbelievably inexpensive.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Who the hell admires google?!!!!!!! For their f**king Ads?????

I love YouTube, not the mindless crap posted about dog tricks, I mean the ability to create a channel and distribute ones own HD material worldwide in seconds for business purposes. I do admire that. I was one of the early Google developers granted unlimited length HD streaming in a pilot many years ago when most people still used SD DVDs and the postal service. Google's vision was right on the money, even though it took many years before 99.9% of the population could watch anything I made in HD due to their lousy internet connection speeds. I also loved their mapping and Google Earth in particular. I also totally get their need to use ad revenue to pay for all this. My problem with Google started with their ripping off iOS IP and Schmidt back stabbing Steve. At one time Apple and Google seemed joined at the hip and great things were coming down the pipe. Sadly a bastard child was adopted by Google called Scamsung.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Service, speed, selection, and prices typically can't be beat. 

 

I don't have anything bad to say about Amazon. I've ordered from them plenty of times, and always gotten what I ordered with no hassles and for a decent price.

 

I do think that their stock is extremely overvalued, but that's a different story.

post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Heavens no. I was simply being my usually self, lambasting Google is all I know ™! Why Fortune wrote this I have no idea. Perhaps (part of) my views on Google are shared by others? Nah..

err. . . Actually I was complementing Apple for the award. But yeah, Google and Amazon are also apparently admired by their business brethren.

Ah, ok. well, I wouldn't know; I'm not a fortune teller, but I can tell Fortune's stories. Or at the very east pass them on, by quoting. The Top 5 company articles were all from Erika Fry, a NYC journalist.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #23 of 51

Most Admired.

Largest Profits.

Humongous Bank Wad.

Master Innovator.

Great COO/CEO.

Cuddly Designer.

Stock worth Squat.

Go figger.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Most Admired.
Largest Profits.
Humongous Bank Wad.
Master Innovator.
Great
 COO/CEO.

Cuddly Designer.

Stock worth Squat.

Go figger.

Succinct and accurate. Although I can't complain having gathered all my AAPL <100 but it should be 700-1000 for sure.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Succinct and accurate. Although I can't complain having gathered all my AAPL <100 but it should be 700-1000 for sure.

 

Forgive the succinctness, but why? Stock isn't priced based upon how 'awesome' a company is.

post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Amazon? Admired? Why?

Amazon Web Services are the gold standard for cloud computing. Major internet services like Dropbox and Netflix depend on AWS.

post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post
 

Stock isn't priced based upon how 'awesome' a company is.

 

You're right, Apple's share price isn't based on how awesome it is. It seems to be based on FUD.

post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post
 

Who the hell admires google?!!!!!!! For their f**king Ads?????

 

My guess is that it is the same group of polled individuals who also admire Apple.

post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

You're right, Apple's share price isn't based on how awesome it is. It seems to be based on FUD.

 

In very many ways it can be, you're not wrong. It's based on what investors in general feel the future potential of the company is. Apple is currently fighting a complicated battle with some large competitors in all of their major markets. This is not the case for some of the other companies often compared.

 

If you feel Apple is going to win this battle, then low prices are good for you because you can buy a $500 with the hope of cashing out in a few years at double that.

 

If you feel that Apple is not going to win this battle, then you will not be willing to buy at $500 and a lack of buy pressure will push the price downwards.

 

So yes, if people believe that Apple is not going to win then the price will go down, and FUD can be a part of that, but massive profits and a vertical ecosystem is already part of Apple's price as they've been doing this for some years now.

post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Forgive the succinctness, but why? Stock isn't priced based upon how 'awesome' a company is.

Nice sarcasm there. Did I say it was? However, there is a strong link. ... p.s., love how your handle is grammatically incorrect ... 1wink.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Did I say it was?

 

You seemed to imply it, that's why I asked you why you felt that way.

post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

You seemed to imply it, that's why I asked you why you felt that way.

Actually I agree with your post above to Apple ][.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Actually I agree with your post above to Apple ][.

 

Ok cool, I just get confused seeing a lot of the stock posts because I am hoping to see some stocks I like fall in value so I can justify putting money in. I'm not even sure if I could use an apostrophe in my username by the way, but I probably should have tried.

post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Service, speed, selection, and prices typically can't be beat. But I'm not just talking about their primary goods store. They also have their EC2 cloud computing. I can setup and run complex server scenarios that I can put on the internet and it's unbelievably inexpensive.

Yes, their ec2 service perhaps. But I generally don't admire low prices per se. Amazon is the King of internet commerce, or at least it was, but I still find it hard to admire them. The sell cheap, as does the dollar store, granted. I admire companies for quality, design, and all sorts of other qualities, but rarely cheap. Amazon is significant, and impressive but admirable? Admirable suggests the embodiment of mostly positive qualities and Amazon hardly fits the term in my book. 'Impressive' is less discriminating and I would not argue Amazon's inclusion there. A much more interesting list is Fast Company's list of top innovative companies.

 

http://www.fastcompany.com/section/most-innovative-companies-2014 

post #35 of 51
That's impressive they've been able to retain that title for such a long time. I don't like Amazon's tablets but the services they offer are nice so good for them too.
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
Reply
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
Reply
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


I love YouTube, not the mindless crap posted about dog tricks, I mean the ability to create a channel and distribute ones own HD material worldwide in seconds for business purposes. I do admire that. I was one of the early Google developers granted unlimited length HD streaming in a pilot many years ago when most people still used SD DVDs and the postal service. Google's vision was right on the money, even though it took many years before 99.9% of the population could watch anything I made in HD due to their lousy internet connection speeds. I also loved their mapping and Google Earth in particular. I also totally get their need to use ad revenue to pay for all this. My problem with Google started with their ripping off iOS IP and Schmidt back stabbing Steve. At one time Apple and Google seemed joined at the hip and great things were coming down the pipe. Sadly a bastard child was adopted by Google called Scamsung.


Yes, my friend ... my / OUR problem with google started with that asshole named Schmidt as well.

 

And, when google kind of cheated and forced many of Youtube members to create a gmail and link our original registered e-mail to it and then ....BOOM ..... never ever log in with that BAD OLD e-mail. Going forward ... log in with your gmail freaking account only!

 

FWIW, I prefer developers who use Vemo now. It's kind of classy .... if you know what I mean :)

 

I also enjoy the French Youtube here ;)

 

http://www.dailymotion.com/

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #37 of 51
You've got to notice Starbucks as number five! Those people just love their morning coffee.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Ok cool, I just get confused seeing a lot of the stock posts because I am hoping to see some stocks I like fall in value so I can justify putting money in. I'm not even sure if I could use an apostrophe in my username by the way, but I probably should have tried.

Well a fall is relative. If you bought as I did below 100 then I think of it as a movement and yes perhaps for a while that's ok but if you bought at 600-700 it's a pretty nasty loss / decline and I hope for those folks hanging on it comes back up. Ultimately it is too low for the company by any metric you look at.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post


Yes, my friend ... my / OUR problem with google started with that asshole named Schmidt as well.

And, when google kind of cheated and forced many of Youtube members to create a gmail and link our original registered e-mail to it and then ....BOOM ..... never ever log in with that BAD OLD e-mail. Going forward ... log in with your gmail freaking account only!

FWIW, I prefer developers who use Vemo now. It's kind of classy .... if you know what I mean 1smile.gif

I also enjoy the French Youtube here 1wink.gif

http://www.dailymotion.com/

You known I never looked at Vimeo as a solution for distribution since the early days when they couldn't deal with 1080p. I will check it out. Daily Motion doesn't have the 'classy' feel IMHO but again, I haven't checked that out either.

Edit: Ah I see now, Video Plus is a fee paying system. But perhaps worth it.
Edited by digitalclips - 2/27/14 at 9:46am
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other notable brands in the rankings include Nike (No. 13), Samsung Electronics (No. 21), Microsoft, (No. 24), Facebook (No. 38), eBay (No. 44), and Intel (No. 47).

What a blatant lie. Microsoft is number 17

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple retains title of 'most admired' company for 7th straight victory