or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Third-Party Products › MS Office download to iMac (Mavericks)

MS Office download to iMac (Mavericks)

post #1 of 5

I downloaded a supposedly free version of MS Office from Softronics to my iMac. It showed the entire downloading process; however, I can't locate it. Spotlight doesn't show it; it isn't in Applications; it isn't in the dock or in the downloads folder.  Where else could it be?  Should I assume that it didn't actually download despite indications that it had?

What else should I do or should have done? I'm stymied.

ADS
ADS
post #2 of 5

What you should do is buy it.

I'm quite sure that Microsoft is not giving away their flagship productivity app. If someone is advertising it for free, you can be sure it's unauthorized.

post #3 of 5

You're right but that was an older version - 2008 I think. I have a previous (purchased) version that I thought could be upgraded by it.

However, I deleted everything I could find of the 2008 version as I couldn't get it to work anyway.

I've heard  that Softronics is a reliable company but have no idea why they 'give away' software.

http://www.softronix.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/company/softronics

ADS
ADS
post #4 of 5

Well, Microsoft charges for upgrades to Office also. (Upgrade = going from 2004 to 2008, for example). Security updates are free downloads. I'm also quite sure Microsoft would not license another company to give Office away. If you've trashed 2008 and want 2011, I believe the only legitimate way to get it is to fork over some dough. You might get it for a lower cost if you can provide your 2008 serial number, but I'm not sure.

post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Well, Microsoft charges for upgrades to Office also. (Upgrade = going from 2004 to 2008, for example). Security updates are free downloads. I'm also quite sure Microsoft would not license another company to give Office away. If you've trashed 2008 and want 2011, I believe the only legitimate way to get it is to fork over some dough. You might get it for a lower cost if you can provide your 2008 serial number, but I'm not sure.

You’re mistaken about Microsoft’s licensing procedures. I don’t understand why you’re bugging me about it.  Do you work for Microsoft?  Will you get a salary cut if someone doesn't "fork over some dough" for an older version of MS Office?

I teach at Miami-Dade College, the second largest college in the US with over 161,000 students. 

MDC has a(n) MS Office license that permits the library to offer that app to faculty and students without having to "fork over some dough".  If I wanted a newer version of MS Office bad enough to walk to the library, I could get it without having to "fork over some dough". 

I’m just not that interested in a minor upgrade.  If I could have downloaded an (a mid) upgrade - security of otherwise, I would have but I wasn't interested enough to walk across campus - one of seven campuses in Miami-Dade County - to borrow the disk and then have to walk back to return it two days hence.  

I have taught MS DOS - and MS Word and MS Excel - and other non MS courses until later teaching Math and English.  At any time during that 25 year period, I could have had MS Office without having to "fork over some dough".  Being too lazy to walk that far - and having a limiting disability - I bought  the 2008 version from the MDC bookstore at an educational discount, of course. That gave me the original disk.  

I tried only to download a possible 2008 upgrade - security or otherwise.  When it failed to function, I dumped it. 

I haven’t a clue as to how Softronics can offer it, and I couldn’t care less.  I gave you Softronics URL in case you might want to find out for yourself.  

Please don’t urge me to purchase something I’m not that interested in.  If you want to “fork over some dough” for something you don’t want, you have my blessing.  

Possibly Microsoft will offer you a kickback for proselytizing their product or give you an employee discount.

Edited by sequitur - 3/11/14 at 10:05am
ADS
ADS
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Third-Party Products
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Third-Party Products › MS Office download to iMac (Mavericks)