or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's dynamic user interface would adapt to user's proximity, allowing control from close & far
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's dynamic user interface would adapt to user's proximity, allowing control from close & far

post #1 of 75
Thread Starter 
Apple has shown continued interest in a new input method that would use advanced sensors to detect gestures, movements, location and distance from a user, allowing a person to easily transition from physical input up close to gesture controls from afar.

Patent
Certain user interface elements could enlarge, simplify or disappear as users step further away from their device.


The company's pursuit of a user-sensing, highly interactive computer system was detailed in a patent continuation published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday. Entitled "Computer User Interface System and Methods," it describes sensors that could measure everything from the presence of a user to their location in the room to any gestures they may perform.

Perhaps most interesting is the filing's mention of a "user proximity context" that would modify a system's user interface based on how close the person is to the device.

The system described in Apple's patent filing would allow users to easily read and control a device from either up close or afar, dynamically adapting to the person's distance."An appearance of information displayed by the computer may be altered or otherwise controlled based on the user proximity context," the filing reads. "For example, a size and/or a content of the information displayed by the computer may be altered or controlled."

With this system, elements on the display, including text size, could be automatically increased or decreased based on how close the user is to the screen. The user interface could also adapt and change based on where a person is in relation to the device.

In another example given by Apple, a device could automatically transfer input controls from a mouse to hand gestures as a person steps away. Yet another situation presented by Apple describes a device increasing its screen brightness based on how far away a user is, allowing them to see the display more easily from a distance.

Apple's concept is in some ways a more advanced and interactive version of the "parallax effect" the company introduced with its iOS 7 mobile operating system upgrade last year. That feature uses the motion sensors in an iPhone or iPad to make background wallpapers move, giving users the illusion that their device is a sort of "window" into a virtual three-dimensional world.



The concepts presented in Apple's filing are not entirely new, though they do suggest that Apple could be interested in offering three-dimensional input and interactivity in future devices. Head tracking, motion gestures and user identification already exist in a number of products on the market, most notably Microsoft's Kinect for its Xbox gaming platform.

The application disclosed this week was filed with the USPTO in August of 2013, and is a continuation of a filing from 2008. It is credited to inventors Aleksandar Pance, David R. Falkenberg, and Jason M. Medeiros.
post #2 of 75
Got to love these filings. R&D for Google and Scamsung for free.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #3 of 75

2034 Apple announces the new iPhone 18Cr.  Size of a dime and fits in the frontal lobe.  Apple says it won't cook your brain.  You can do all your information via thought and see everything via daytime illusions when your eye lids are closed.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #4 of 75
This makes sense. The "iWatch" is probably a device that will be worn when interacting with the computer using this input method.
post #5 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Got to love these filings. R&D for Google and Scamsung for free.

LoL. That's what I was going to say. Samsung probably has someone monitoring the patent office release to see what they can "borrow" from Apple.
post #6 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

This makes sense. The "iWatch" is probably a device that will be worn when interacting with the computer using this input method.

 

More likely to be for a TV where the UI will respond to where the viewers are in the room.

post #7 of 75
These are all stepping stones to an eventual direct connection between the mind and digital devices.

Interface progression:

Input (visual and sound --> non physical communication)
keyboard --> mouse --> gesture --> vocal (Siri) ---> sub vocal --> direct connection (wired initially, but eventually non-wired)

Output (visual and sound --> non physical communication)
monitor ---> increasing monitor display resolution ---> 3D displays "Oculus Rift" (increasing resolution and speed) --> holographic 3D --> direct connection (wired initially, but eventually non-wired)

Apple needs to get ahead of this in developing their next generation operating systems.
post #8 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
 

2034 Apple announces the new iPhone 18Cr.  Size of a dime and fits in the frontal lobe.  Apple says it won't cook your brain.  You can do all your information via thought and see everything via daytime illusions when your eye lids are closed.

 

I know you're joking, but "mind controlled" interfaces are a real thing and getting better and better as time goes. I think we should skip the "gestures in the air" and go straight to this technology.

 

The Muse headband ( http://www.interaxon.ca/muse/ ) will ship next May for $299, and it's the smallest of its kind. Sure it's still clunky and its applications are not straightforward yet, but these will get smaller and smaller and more software will be written for it (the SDK is open source).

 

post #9 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
 

2034 Apple announces the new iPhone 18Cr.  Size of a dime and fits in the frontal lobe.  Apple says it won't cook your brain.  You can do all your information via thought and see everything via daytime illusions when your eye lids are closed.

Didn't you get the memo? iPhones are getting bigger not smaller.

 

I'll see if I can get you a copy of that memo.

post #10 of 75

The year is?  An option of a large screen TV iPhone you carry around in a shopping cart can be yours.  It is covered in your own skin so you can say you have an implant.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #11 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Got to love these filings. R&D for Google and Scamsung for free.

At the pace Google is filing patents it may be some of their competitors and tech neighbors keeping an eye on what they're working on via the patent office. I had no idea until this morning that Google now controls 51,000 patents and patent applications!! To put that in perspective they had only bothered to get 38 patents up thru 2007, depending more on trade secrets than the patent office.
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/521946/googles-growing-patent-stockpile/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #12 of 75
This is an interesting idea that, yes, will probably get copied by other companies in some shape or form. I remember seeing that Kinect video a few years ago, same basic idea except you had to wear glasses with IR lights on either side for it to track you.
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
Reply
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
Reply
post #13 of 75

In all of these "gesture" related patents we've seen for so long...I still don't understand the benefit or positive user experience gleaned from waving your hand around in the air. Seems to make about as much sense as a MacBook with a touch screen...holding your arm out gets old in about 20 seconds.

post #14 of 75

MS tried this, dancing before one's set.

Apple, plodding Apple, designs behind the scene, waiting panther-like to pounce and amaze the world.

Talk is cheap.

Results herald the conjoined twins of time and timing.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #15 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Got to love these filings. R&D for Google and Scamsung for free.

Yeah. I'm getting a little tired of Apple as of late. While they seem to do a lot of interesting research, they also seem to rarely do much with it. They appear to be to afraid to actually take a chance. And for those who think that's Cook's problem, it's not. SJ wasn't any better.

I'd like to see a product (or several) from them that incorporates a number of these inventions, even if they're not entirely ready for prime time. Apple could state that they are "hobbies", or experimental' or whatever. Just DO something! I understand Apple's penchant for only releasing products that they think are perfected (though often we find they are not). But Google has no problem with releasing things that aren't, and doing well with them.

Apple has lost the belief that they are innovating. Whether true or not, it's one reason the stock is where it is. So it takes them years to come out with a watch. Maybe it will be great, and maybe it will bomb. But meanwhile, give us SOMETHING! There's no reason it took so many years before we got API's for handheld controllers, for example. Why weren't they out in 2008? Think of how things could have been different.

We're talking about saphirre screens and Liquidmetal on Seeking Alpha. I'm wary of either. While both sound nice, the costs will be significant, and what real benefit will there be? Yes, saphirre is less scratchable. But Gorilla Glass is already pretty hard to scratch. Less breakable? Yes, but better design would go a long way there too. As it is, the 5, 5S and 5C are all much better than the 4 and 4S in that regard. Liquidmetal? What real benefit will that give us, other than bragging rights?

I'd rather see some of these innovative UI inventions come out, even if Apple makes them optional. And how about finally doing something with Siri? What have they don't with it these past few years? Hardly anything!
post #16 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


Yeah. I'm getting a little tired of Apple as of late. While they seem to do a lot of interesting research, they also seem to rarely do much with it. They appear to be to afraid to actually take a chance. And for those who think that's Cook's problem, it's not. SJ wasn't any better.

I'd like to see a product (or several) from them that incorporates a number of these inventions, even if they're not entirely ready for prime time. Apple could state that they are "hobbies", or experimental' or whatever. Just DO something! I understand Apple's penchant for only releasing products that they think are perfected (though often we find they are not). But Google has no problem with releasing things that aren't, and doing well with them.

Apple has lost the belief that they are innovating. Whether true or not, it's one reason the stock is where it is. So it takes them years to come out with a watch. Maybe it will be great, and maybe it will bomb. But meanwhile, give us SOMETHING! There's no reason it took so many years before we got API's for handheld controllers, for example. Why weren't they out in 2008? Think of how things could have been different.

We're talking about saphirre screens and Liquidmetal on Seeking Alpha. I'm wary of either. While both sound nice, the costs will be significant, and what real benefit will there be? Yes, saphirre is less scratchable. But Gorilla Glass is already pretty hard to scratch. Less breakable? Yes, but better design would go a long way there too. As it is, the 5, 5S and 5C are all much better than the 4 and 4S in that regard. Liquidmetal? What real benefit will that give us, other than bragging rights?

I'd rather see some of these innovative UI inventions come out, even if Apple makes them optional. And how about finally doing something with Siri? What have they don't with it these past few years? Hardly anything!


This post of yours Mel, would be perfect for sites such as CNet or ZDNet, where Apple never did anything of significance. I'm very surprised to see it here.

Keep in mind that between 2001 (iPod) and 2007 (iPhone) there's a 6 year gap. Ground breaking, trend setting innovation takes time. But it also has to be released at the right time, when the technology supporting it is ripe.  Case in point, tablet computers. Wasn't Microsoft and partners trying to get them in people's hands way before there ever was an iPad?

Just because Apple won't release a beta product (Google Glass) it doesn't mean that Jony Ive, Craig Federighi, Eddy Cue and company are sitting around downing brewskies and high fiving each other.

post #17 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Got to love these filings. R&D for Google and Scamsung for free.

 

While reading this, did anyone else hear "Money For Nothing" (Dire Straits) playing in their head?

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #18 of 75

Have you read it? It says that half of these patents were acquired through MM, and the rest was a rushed job:
Quote:
Google must have understood how weak its own position was. When Jobs announced the iPhone, Google had earned only 38 patents since its founding. Thirty-eight! To equal Apple’s phone, Google rushed to release Android, relatively old software that Google had acquired. It is open source, and was poorly defended with intellectual property.

From then on, Google wouldn’t keep product features or new ideas as trade secrets anymore; its researchers, business managers, and advertising experts would work with a rotating cast of outside attorneys to patent whatever ideas they could. Only such a dogged focus can explain the exponential increase in Google patents.

My glass is always half full, but I fail to see anything positive for Google with this article.
post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Have you read it?

I always read the articles before I link'em. Google is doing the same thing Apple and IBM does. Flood the USPTO with patent applications, file for everything and anything, try to stake some claim to anything you think might be of value to your future business, understanding that a significant portion of whatever ends up issued will be invalidated if challenged. Quality isn't as important as quantity.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah. I'm getting a little tired of Apple as of late. . . . [plus more petulant foot stamping]

Your use of Google for comparison gives you away. You have forgotten Apple doesn't do Beta hardware, ever.

Focus, thousands of noes, product and user-oriented technology, many ways to look at what Apple is doing rather than the impatient and market-focused way you are looking at them.

I'm surprised at you too.
post #21 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post




I'd rather see some of these innovative UI inventions come out, even if Apple makes them optional. And how about finally doing something with Siri? What have they don't with it these past few years? Hardly anything!

 

 

Be Zen. Empty your mind. Do not pay attention to noise. Have faith in the prophets (OK, they do not say much, but ...).

 

(may be what Apple needs are prophets, after all)

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Reply

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Reply
post #22 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthNut View Post

This is an interesting idea that, yes, will probably get copied by other companies in some shape or form. I remember seeing that Kinect video a few years ago, same basic idea except you had to wear glasses with IR lights on either side for it to track you.

 

erm.... except the existing Kinect does these things, and has done them for several years now, with no glasses with IR lights required....  even AI which is usually somewhat Apple biased couldn't release an article showing these patents without mentioning that other companies already have products out that are doing these things.

 

I don't really view Apple as a 'copycat' for following others into the space, just as I won't look at anyone else who enters the market as 'copying' Apple.  I hope many do enter and they all compete with each other and drive some great products.

post #23 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Have you read it?

I always read the articles before I link'em. Google is doing the same thing Apple and IBM does. Flood the USPTO with patent applications, file for everything and anything, try to stake some claim to anything you think might be of value to your future business, understanding that a significant portion of whatever ends up issued will be invalidated if challenged. Quality isn't as important as quantity.

Since you always provide a link in your posts I must say you are either a fast reader or have quite a lot of time on your hands to keep up with so much tech news.

The amount of patents Apple files is also ridiculous, guess they need to in order to prevent stuff rather than seeing all these products coming to life. With the widespread area Google is in it doesn't surprise me they file for so many patents.
post #24 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Since you always provide a link in your posts I must say you are either a fast reader or have quite a lot of time on your hands to keep up with so much tech news.

The amount of patents Apple files is also ridiculous, guess they need to in order to prevent stuff rather than seeing all these products coming to life. With the widespread area Google is in it doesn't surprise me they file for so many patents.

I've always been a very fast reader. It helps that I've always enjoyed it since I was a kid, and I'll read almost anything. I remember walking to the library a couple times a week when still in grade school. It was one of those old Carnegie libraries, still there too just as it was. Really cool classic design
Edited by Gatorguy - 2/27/14 at 1:49pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post


This post of yours Mel, would be perfect for sites such as CNet or ZDNet, where Apple never did anything of significance. I'm very surprised to see it here.
Keep in mind that between 2001 (iPod) and 2007 (iPhone) there's a 6 year gap. Ground breaking, trend setting innovation takes time. But it also has to be released at the right time, when the technology supporting it is ripe.  Case in point, tablet computers. Wasn't Microsoft and partners trying to get them in people's hands way before there ever was an iPad?
Just because Apple won't release a beta product (Google Glass) it doesn't mean that Jony Ive, Craig Federighi, Eddy Cue and company are sitting around downing brewskies and high fiving each other.

1) Not necessarily from melgross but I see a lot of people ignore the yearly innovations Apple not only releases but also talks up during their events. For some reason, since the iPhone launched the only innovations that have become meaningful to some are brand new product categories.

2) I would love for Apple to events every month showing a brand new product category but that's only because my perception of Apple releasing a new product category is that it's been thoughtfully considered and is ready to be released. If that changes then my desire for Apple to release new product categories will also change. I don't think what Google is doing is healthy for the long term.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #26 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post


This post of yours Mel, would be perfect for sites such as CNet or ZDNet, where Apple never did anything of significance. I'm very surprised to see it here.
Keep in mind that between 2001 (iPod) and 2007 (iPhone) there's a 6 year gap. Ground breaking, trend setting innovation takes time. But it also has to be released at the right time, when the technology supporting it is ripe.  Case in point, tablet computers. Wasn't Microsoft and partners trying to get them in people's hands way before there ever was an iPad?
Just because Apple won't release a beta product (Google Glass) it doesn't mean that Jony Ive, Craig Federighi, Eddy Cue and company are sitting around downing brewskies and high fiving each other.

I've been heavily involved with Apple since 1988. I'm not writing a post for c/net. I'm writing a post to people who, for the most part here, are interested in knowing what the rest of the people on the site think, as many of us have known each other for years. No one here would think that I deliberately diss Apple. Some think I defend them too much. Just ask Garorguy, with whom I have a friendly (I hope!) adversarial relationship. I suppose that's a good middle ground.

My complaint here is that, it's true, Apple does a lot of research, but more often that not, we don't get to use the results of that. I've never said that Apple does nothing of significance. If you think I did, then you had better read my post again. Obviously, Apple does things of significance. More than most companies in the business.

But, and it's a real but, often, Apple does some wonderful things in their R&D, but it never materializes as a product, even as something for us to try out. The aTv is an interesting product, but I wish they did more with it already.

The problem is that Apple has been unwilling to have any product that isn't a halo product. So in,es it's an accessory for so e other product, we just don't see so ethi g that won't sell in high numbers, but is interesting in its own right.

When Apple was a small company, this could be expected, but today, they can do anything they want. But they are very careful to think long on what they are going to do. I don't believe they need to do that. If they've got so ethi g interesting in the lab, and this is particularly true for software, let it out. Tell us it's an experiment. Tell us it may never become a real product. But give us something interesting to see and handle.

Yes, I know that seems far out to you. After all, why should they? But why not? A lot of companies do that. It would make Apple more interesting again. So give us another experimental UI, and let us play with it. It doesn't have to be the real UI, just something we can download and install on top of the OS to feel and comment on. The point I'm making, and it's partly facetious, I admit, is that they're falling behind in the spin area. Just having something interesting would help to end that.

Oh, and Apple does release beta products, and hobby products. Let's not pretend otherwise.
post #27 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I always read the articles before I link'em. Google is doing the same thing Apple and IBM does. Flood the USPTO with patent applications, file for everything and anything, try to stake some claim to anything you think might be of value to your future business, understanding that a significant portion of whatever ends up issued will be invalidated if challenged. Quality isn't as important as quantity.

Well, not really. Google has always been weak in R&D. That's not something to really argue about. Until they bought up many patents, they had a small number they came up with on their own, or ended up with after buying companies that had their own. Google has relied in taking IP from other companies, using it, then complaining when caught, that they were "innovating". The companies they stole that from don't agree. So now they are busily buying up patents. Most seem to have no direct value to them, though they don't appear to be good at evaluating that beforehand. Such as with Motorola.

While Apple, Microsoft and others are also buying up patents, both Apple and Microsoft actually do far more real research than does Google. Even Glass has little that's new about it.
post #28 of 75
I saw this job posting on Apple's website. Hmm...I wonder what these new input devices might be?

https://jobs.apple.com/us/search#&t=1&sb=req_open_dt&so=1&lo=0*USA&pN=0&openJobId=32239816

Input Devices Product Design

Apple Inc. is looking for mechanical engineers to design new input device products, subsystems, and modules to support the Mac and iOS product lines. The candidate will primarily work on ground up designs in partnership with electrical engineering and firmware cross functional teams. Their responsibilities will span from technology development and concept generation to detailed design, analysis and testing through mass production ramp. There is an emphasis on optimizing and enhancing the ergonomic interaction between the user and the product.
post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah. I'm getting a little tired of Apple as of late. While they seem to do a lot of interesting research, they also seem to rarely do much with it. They appear to be to afraid to actually take a chance. And for those who think that's Cook's problem, it's not. SJ wasn't any better.

I'd like to see a product (or several) from them that incorporates a number of these inventions, even if they're not entirely ready for prime time. Apple could state that they are "hobbies", or experimental' or whatever. Just DO something! I understand Apple's penchant for only releasing products that they think are perfected (though often we find they are not). But Google has no problem with releasing things that aren't, and doing well with them.

Apple has lost the belief that they are innovating. Whether true or not, it's one reason the stock is where it is. So it takes them years to come out with a watch. Maybe it will be great, and maybe it will bomb. But meanwhile, give us SOMETHING! There's no reason it took so many years before we got API's for handheld controllers, for example. Why weren't they out in 2008? Think of how things could have been different.

We're talking about saphirre screens and Liquidmetal on Seeking Alpha. I'm wary of either. While both sound nice, the costs will be significant, and what real benefit will there be? Yes, saphirre is less scratchable. But Gorilla Glass is already pretty hard to scratch. Less breakable? Yes, but better design would go a long way there too. As it is, the 5, 5S and 5C are all much better than the 4 and 4S in that regard. Liquidmetal? What real benefit will that give us, other than bragging rights?

I'd rather see some of these innovative UI inventions come out, even if Apple makes them optional. And how about finally doing something with Siri? What have they don't with it these past few years? Hardly anything!
So basically your bored with Apple and want them to do something, anything to cure your boredom. I get the frustration, and I'm frustrated that Apple has chosen product cycles that leave large gaps where they've gone quiet and the vacuum gets filled up with FUD and D&G. But the day Apple does something just for the sake of the DO SOMETHING crowd is the day it stops being Apple. For people that need a constant fix of SOMETHING, there's Samsung.
post #30 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Your use of Google for comparison gives you away. You have forgotten Apple doesn't do Beta hardware, ever.

Focus, thousands of noes, product and user-oriented technology, many ways to look at what Apple is doing rather than the impatient and market-focused way you are looking at them.

I'm surprised at you too.

That's totally incorrect. SIRi was beta for two YEARS! Apple stated that. They say aTv is a hobby. They've stated that as well. They've had other beta software over the years.

People who think Apple isn't market oriented are fooling themselves. Of course they are. Every company is. They have to be. Apple responds to the market. If they do come up with a bigger phone this year, that will be entirely in response to market movement. Please don't think that they came up with it all by themselves.
post #31 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's totally incorrect. SIRi was beta for two YEARS! Apple stated that. They say aTv is a hobby. They've stated that as well. They've had other beta software over the years.

People who think Apple isn't market oriented are fooling themselves. Of course they are. Every company is. They have to be. Apple responds to the market. If they do come up with a bigger phone this year, that will be entirely in response to market movement. Please don't think that they came up with it all by themselves.
but if it was just a response to the market we would have has a larger iPhone well before 2014.
post #32 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Since you always provide a link in your posts I must say you are either a fast reader or have quite a lot of time on your hands to keep up with so much tech news.

The amount of patents Apple files is also ridiculous, guess they need to in order to prevent stuff rather than seeing all these products coming to life. With the widespread area Google is in it doesn't surprise me they file for so many patents.

I think that Apple is truly interested in the things they patent. But that doesn't mean that it will result in anything for any number of reasons.

But before they lost that famous lawsuit with Microsoft all those years ago, they began to patent more of what they did. Getting ripped off will test anyone.
post #33 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Google has relied in taking IP from other companies, using it, then complaining when caught, that they were "innovating". The companies they stole that from don't agree. So now they are busily buying up patents. Most seem to have no direct value to them, though they don't appear to be good at evaluating that beforehand. Such as with Motorola.t.

Mel I really don't know what stolen IP you're referring to. There's been a lot of claims of patent thievery. I guess Google's been sued nearly as often as Apple for "patent theft". Not he same as being guilty of it anymore than when Apple is accused tho is it?

Search? Not that I'm aware of. Maps? Microsoft's lawsuit was tossed today and the patent ruled invalid. Oracle,? Nope, not yet anyway. Apple? Dunno, they've never accused Google of stealing anything, rumors to that effect be damned. Books? Nope again, scanning was perfectly legal. Adwords? Infamous troll Vringo did ding'em on that one and MS is now in their crosshairs.

So have you got a collection of legal cites to demonstrate this widespread IP theft you think you've seen from Google? Based on your tone there must be a lot of 'em.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I saw this job posting on Apple's website. Hmm...I wonder what these new input devices might be?

https://jobs.apple.com/us/search#&t=1&sb=req_open_dt&so=1&lo=0*USA&pN=0&openJobId=32239816

Input Devices Product Design

Apple Inc. is looking for mechanical engineers to design new input device products, subsystems, and modules to support the Mac and iOS product lines. The candidate will primarily work on ground up designs in partnership with electrical engineering and firmware cross functional teams. Their responsibilities will span from technology development and concept generation to detailed design, analysis and testing through mass production ramp. There is an emphasis on optimizing and enhancing the ergonomic interaction between the user and the product.

Weird, but it sounds like a controller.
post #35 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While Apple, Microsoft and others are also buying up patents, both Apple and Microsoft actually do far more real research than does Google.

What are you using for a measuring stick Mel?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #36 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically your bored with Apple and want them to do something, anything to cure your boredom. I get the frustration, and I'm frustrated that Apple has chosen product cycles that leave large gaps where they've gone quiet and the vacuum gets filled up with FUD and D&G. But the day Apple does something just for the sake of the DO SOMETHING crowd is the day it stops being Apple. For people that need a constant fix of SOMETHING, there's Samsung.

To a certain extent, yes. Product cycles are something that bothers me as well as it does you. I understand that things come out at certain times. But I also remember Jobs saying, as a reason why they stopped going to MacWorld, and a couple of other conventions, is that they were restrained by those conventions, because they needed to have something new, or updated at particular times of the year, and they wanted to come out with products when they were ready, no matter when that would be.

I don't see that. Do you see that?

Unless they're having a problem, they come out with something at the same time, usually once a year. Why did the 5C and 5S have to come out at the same time? Just throwing that out there. I don't mean anything special about those two products, but still... Maybe that was a bad idea for several reasons.

They used to update their computers four times a year, often just for a cpu speed bump. When have they done that last?

I don't think they should do something just to do something. Sorry if I gave that impression. But they do have a lot of interesting stuff. I remember when Apple did release experimental software all the time. One interesting thing was a 3D UI for OS X. It never became a product, but it got a lot of people talking about real 3D UI.

And it's not like they're hiding any of this stuff, as anyone can read the patents, and do.
post #37 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

but if it was just a response to the market we would have has a larger iPhone well before 2014.

Not necessarily. It does take time to come up with a new product, and two years ago, large phones weren't selling well yet. That only became apparent in 2013. So some months for Apple to decide they needed to respond, and a year for the new product to come out. Sounds about right.

Now, we'll have to see how they handle it, assuming that large phone, or two does make it. The biggest question is the resolution. Do they break their contention that around 325ppi is enough for a phone, or the one in which they double resolution with four times as many pixels? One or the other is gotta go.

And Apple has also stated that being first isn't what counts. It's doing it better as they did with the iPod, the iPhone, and even with the iPad. That will be true for the iWatch, if it comes out, and a Tv, if that comes out.
Not first, but better.
post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Mel I really don't know what stolen IP you're referring to. There's been a lot of claims of patent thievery. I guess Google's been sued nearly as often as Apple for "patent theft". Not he same as being guilty of it anymore than when Apple is accused tho is it?

Search? Not that I'm aware of. Maps? Microsoft's lawsuit was tossed today and the patent ruled invalid. Oracle,? Nope, not yet anyway. Apple? Dunno, they've never accused Google of stealing anything, rumors to that effect be damned. Books? Nope again, scanning was perfectly legal. Adwords? Infamous troll Vringo did ding'em on that one and MS is now in their crosshairs.

So have you got a collection of legal cites to demonstrate this widespread IP theft you think you've seen from Google? Based on your tone there must be a lot of 'em.

There's enough. We're all aware that a large number of patents that Apple has sued over with third parties were Google software. This is common. You sue the party who is easier. Google makes no products, so it's hard to sue them. So they don't get sued for software that their OEM's use. The OEM's get sued. This has been discussed plenty.
post #39 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What are you using for a measuring stick Mel?

Unless Google has been doing a vast amount if R&D that they don't patent. Which they don't, up until they gegan massing patents from companies and patents they bought, they only had about 300 patents. That was far less than any other major competitor. And everybody patents. Everybody.

I've read that Google does a lot of R&D, but if you look at those numbers very closely, you will see that it's not mainly R&D, but software development costs. That's very different.
post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Unless Google has been doing a vast amount if R&D that they don't patent. Which they don't, up until they gegan massing patents from companies and patents they bought, they only had about 300 patents. That was far less than any other major competitor. And everybody patents. Everybody.

I've read that Google does a lot of R&D, but if you look at those numbers very closely, you will see that it's not mainly R&D, but software development costs. That's very different.

Ah, keepin' it vague I see. So in other words you don't really know much about either Apple or Google areas of research and where they stand. FWIW once upon a time Google was like Apple in the early years. They just didn't consider patenting all that important instead relying more on trade secrets for their competitive edge. Like Apple tho they've now learned the value of patenting it all.

By the way I had no idea Apple and Google break down their R&D numbers for investors and/or public into categories like software development, new products, etc. Where can I see those numbers you've referred to? Gotta link to offer?

EDIT: In answer to your earlier comment yes I've always considered us to be friendly adversaries. 1smoking.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 2/27/14 at 5:06pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's dynamic user interface would adapt to user's proximity, allowing control from close & far