or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac owners report OS X 10.9.2 update breaks AirPlay functionality

Mac owners report OS X 10.9.2 update breaks AirPlay functionality - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I gotta be honest, i've been huge Apple fan for years now and i've never been afraid to update any of devices until lately. ....  I'm not a freakout artist and I definitely know that there aren't any "better" alternatives, but Apple needs to get it's sh!t together. The one thing that I could always count on with my Apple devices is that I never had to worry about an update breaking my stuff and I couldn't wait to update. Now I find myself reluctant and in some cases just not updating at all.

I'm beginning to think that's why Apple is so in your face with updates anymore.  Red flags on the App Store icons, trying to get us to update in the background, etc.  I love the new ideas coming out of Apple, and I'm on board with many of the changes, however the implementation anymore is horrid.  Photostream on Apple TV is hosed up for many users (check the Apple forums), Mavericks and iOS7 still have a lot of open issues, Server is just simply embarrassing with its issues, and yet we aren't that far off from the developers conference and discussion of iOS 8 and 10.10.  I'd be completely satisfied if they "took a year off" from their new OS each year plan and get everything working the way it should be.  Apple can we have a "Snow Mavericks" please?

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #42 of 58
One of the things that kinda irks me is that iTunes extras won't play on Apple TV. I bought a movie with some cool featurettes, but the Apple TV interface won't display or play them - only the purchased movie is available.

Ah, so I figured my MBA could conntect via AirPlay, and it would mirror the extras to the AppleTV and connected HDTV.

No dice, and it appears to be design, as there was a specific error displayed.

I don't use Netflix or Hulu or any of the others, so I can't tell if those services would display the added content.

Grinds my gears. It shouldn't work this way - I'd expect microsoft crap to be like that, but not Apple equipment.
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Not working at all on my early 2013 MBP 15". The Airplay option showed up in menu bar (as per the Settings in the monitor menu) but disappeared when I tried to use it. Reboot for both iOS and OSX don't seem to help.

Not sure why rebooting iOS would help your MBP?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #44 of 58
no this does not only affect airplay i'm currently running dual wired monitors and am experiencing freeze ups on a continual basis....its driving me crazy cause the only way out is to reboot. btw- running a 8 month old mac mini..... this shouldn't be happening
post #45 of 58
My secondary external display was unaffected after the update. And while the MBP is early 2011 the display is a positively ancient Cinema display that is probably late 90's in vintage....

Lucky me.
post #46 of 58
For the sake of anecdotal info, I bit the bullet and updated a 2011 Macbook Air 11" which is connected via dvi to an Asus VG248XE. I have experienced no problems, and have tried to explore various conditions to be certain.

So, if you have something similar, ~could~ be ok to update. YMMV.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Not working at all on my early 2013 MBP 15". The Airplay option showed up in menu bar (as per the Settings in the monitor menu) but disappeared when I tried to use it. Reboot for both iOS and OSX don't seem to help.

Not sure why rebooting iOS would help your MBP?

I think he was inferring that the version of iOS running on the tv needed rebooting...

post #48 of 58
The only issue I had was having to reset the mirror preference to extended desktop, and to reset the display arrangement.

Otherwise, all seems to be fine. For the last couple of hours, I've been watching iTunes Visualizer (G-Force) on external display (50" TV) full screen, while continuing to work on built-in (rMBP mid-2012).
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsepjm View Post

Works perfectly for me... Must be user error!

Oh, must be an ignorant comment!

(your dual 15" VGA rig isn't the benchmark that the professionals use)

post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The White Room! Gosh you didn't emigrate to the US empty handed, did you? Wow. So, who's performing for you lately? Some teenage pop-till-they-stop, Kylie Minogue or a more serious artist?
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #51 of 58
Works fine for me, audio and video.

Mid-2013 Air / ATV 3rd generation
post #52 of 58
Not only does it breaks Airplay functionality, it breaks Saphire HD7950 graphic card as well. The system refused to complete the boot cycle after the update. The card is completely unusable.
post #53 of 58
Originally Posted by boinkboink View Post
Not only does it breaks Airplay functionality, it breaks Saphire HD7950 graphic card as well. The system refused to complete the boot cycle after the update. The card is completely unusable.

I’d imagine that’s what you get for using nonstandard parts.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d imagine that’s what you get for using nonstandard parts.

It is Mac certified 7950.

post #55 of 58
Originally Posted by boinkboink View Post
It is Mac certified 7950.

Sure, but it’s not an Apple part. It’s put out only by Sapphire.

post #56 of 58
if you connect to a bluetooth speaker and you are using your library, with this update music will shut off and send you back to the sign in screen. If you are using iradio i will do the same thing. I have an mac air late 2012 with nothing and I mean nothing that is not stock never had any problems till this update.
post #57 of 58
Quote:
 Details matter, it’s worth waiting to get it right.
– Steve Jobs

Tim?

post #58 of 58

I keep reading that this airplay problem seems to only affect older macs.  That's not true for me.  I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" and ever since I updated with 10.9.2, it will not detect my AppleTV.  However, my iPad has no problem with airplay with the same AppleTV. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac owners report OS X 10.9.2 update breaks AirPlay functionality