or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV sales topped $1B in 2013, becoming Apple's fastest growing hardware

Apple TV sales topped $1B in 2013, becoming Apple's fastest growing hardware - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

1 Billion apparently includes movies etc bought on the Apple TV, not just hardware sales.

Create an Apple TV app store and allow it to play iOS games and expect that to be 4+ Billion next year.

Where did you read that? It just says units.

I agree that an Apple TV App Store would be money!
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Interesting rumor related to shareholder meeting that Oppenheimer may retire (I don't know Forbes's credibility on Apple-related matters): http://onforb.es/1khdUdd

If it turns out to be true, I'd say, it's about time. Apple's needs and complexities have far outgrown him.

(This is a repost -- I thought it was important enough a rumor and therefore OK to post twice).

Maybe you should apply for the job, since you have so much insight into Apple's complexities and his inadequacies. Seriously, give it a thought.

If you do apply, let us know, so we can take your critiques of management seriously.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Who needs GoogleTV if you have a Chromecast (or two). It also works with a lot more devices.

Who needs Chromecast, when with the AllCast app I can stream to just about every connected device/TV including the ATV?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its still not very significant indeed compare to the overall income.  They need to revamp it, if they cant secure TV deals they could still add apps and games to it so it add value and fonctionnality.

That would be why they called it a hobby, so that it wouldn't be overly scrutinized and compared in performance to their other lines. It may have also provided a use for some of the lower performing chips or leftover chips when transitioning between phones.

post #45 of 52
i think ppl neglected the huge implication from what you just mentioned. reusing certain lower performing or leftover chips in some lesser products categories, like ATV, is equivalent a higher yield from chip fab. it is interested on how apple does it. 

samsung is fabing apple's asic. so it has to have a samsung yield so that it can supply apple enough chips. then if apple wants to reuse some of chips which are inferior, then samsung needs to ship all chips from a wafer to apple. so apple can shift through them to figure which are usable for iPhone and which are for ATV etc. any one familiar with processing can provide more insights?

going back to ATv product. ws analysts kept talking that apple's business is not on growth path. i do agree that at hardware level, dramatic growth is not there anymore, but the growth on apple's service side is creeping up. last year, apple's iTunes brought in almost $15billion revenue. i don't have previous year number, but $15billion, though it is less than10% of the total revenue, is such big chunk that no one shall be ignoring it. 

apple's margin is about 37%, then this $15b on iTunes sales can bring in $5-6billion profit. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

That would be why they called it a hobby, so that it wouldn't be overly scrutinized and compared in performance to their other lines. It may have also provided a use for some of the lower performing chips or leftover chips when transitioning between phones.

post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Maybe you should apply for the job, since you have so much insight into Apple's complexities and his inadequacies. Seriously, give it a thought.

If you do apply, let us know, so we can take your critiques of management seriously.

What a juvenile post.

Hope you'll let us know how the egg that you laid looked the next time you criticize an omelette.

post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

boom.. did not see that one coming. I wonder how much of this was caused by interest in ChromeCast, and then deciding to up sell one self into AppleTV instead; after comparing the two platforms.

Don't be dense the Google ChromeCast is just crap first and foremost, a first and second generation Apple TV owner.

post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Who needs Chromecast, when with the AllCast app I can stream to just about every connected device/TV including the ATV?

Thanks! I'd heard of it but never looked at it in detail until your mention. Pretty cool and works with a whole lotta devices and platforms.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #49 of 52

Strictly on word of mouth. Apple TV rises.

post #50 of 52
Quote:

What a juvenile post.

Hope you'll let us know how the egg that you laid looked the next time you criticize an omelette.

Hey, you're right, I should have just said "What arrogant amateur punditry" and been done with it.
post #51 of 52

As months go by, I'm sure that we will never have "a la carte" programming that's actually cheaper and worthy than 200 channels.

For me, the only way to do this and surprise everyone, would be an Apple+Sony+Netflix partnership (Apple has the tools and platform, Sony and Netflix the content and productions DNA) or Apple to start their own Movie/TVshows/etc. studio.

Those providers are the same ones that are locking and trying to kill the internet. They are, perhaps together with oil companies and Samsung, the ones that give meaning to the word corruption.

post #52 of 52
Quote:

The corporate world is awash with excellent CFOs.

Moreover, Apple recently brought in a Controller from Xerox. I don't know if he'll fit the bill, but I am guessing he must be pretty good....

I may be wrong, but isn't Oppenheimer the guy who basically invented the 'Double Irish with a Dutch Sandwich' (or whatever the exact term is called)?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV sales topped $1B in 2013, becoming Apple's fastest growing hardware