or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to announce 'iOS in the Car' tie up with Ferrari, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz next week

Apple to announce 'iOS in the Car' tie up with Ferrari, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz next week

post #1 of 63
Apple is rumored to be prepping an official announcement relating to its "iOS in the Car" initiative, with one report claiming the company will reveal the first three automakers to implement the technology next week.

iOS in the Car makers
Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue reveals "iOS in the Car" partners at WWDC 2013.

Sources tell the Financial Times that Apple will launch an "in-car operating system" at next week's Geneva Motor Show, with Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz named as the initiative's first partners.

The publication fails to name the rumored operating system, but additional details point to Apple's "iOS in the Car" program, which is mentioned at the end of the article as being introduced last year.

A description of the rumored system matches exactly with iOS in the Car functionality. Specifically, the report claims drivers will be granted access to Apple Maps, music, videos, Siri, voice calls, text dictation and more via the partners' infotainment systems.

Further, as seen above, Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz were announced as launch partners when Apple introduced the platform at WWDC 2013. Apple previously partnered with the three auto manufacturers, as well as Nissan and Alfa Romeo, in a 2005 push to integrate the iPod into car stereo systems.

After its unveiling, Apple's new automotive initiative has remained largely under the radar. Select manufacturers have implemented Siri Eyes Free technology into their cars, but none have gone so far as to incorporate iOS in the Car's full suite of features.

A report in January suggested Apple executives were having trouble getting the project ready for market, which could explain the nearly year-long period of silence.

Most recently, a short video published to the Web in January shows what looks to be an iOS developer tool running an iOS 7.1 emulator piping Apple Maps to a simulated iOS in the Car screen.
post #2 of 63
1) Is this better than Apple having their own event?

2) I hate the current system in every car to an extent that I may trade in my less-than-one-year-old car for a new one if this system is true great. My system is so archaic that when I hit the button for hands-free calling it says "Please listen carefully as our menu items have changed…"¡
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/28/14 at 7:06pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 63

My understanding was that Apple also had BMW in the fold. Anyone clued up to the standing of their relationship?

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #4 of 63
I'm as big an Apple fan as the next guy, but I'm not really sure I'm down with the operator-facing OS of the being so linked to my phone. It seems a tad restrictive as to which car I am going to buy. What if I want to buy a Bimmer? Is it going to be running Droid? It looks like Audi will be. That would be annoying. It seems like a better strategy for auto makers to give the customer the option on this one. But since I'll probably never own a car made after the year 2000, it doesn't really make a difference to me, just doesn't seem smart for an auto manufacturer to get tied in to a system like this. But hey, it's tech, this shit changes fast.
post #5 of 63
Hmm...Apple is going to announce something but not with their own event? How often do they do that?
post #6 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

I'm as big an Apple fan as the next guy, but I'm not really sure I'm down with the operator-facing OS of the being so linked to my phone. It seems a tad restrictive as to which car I am going to buy. What if I want to buy a Bimmer? Is it going to be running Droid? It looks like Audi will be. That would be annoying. It seems like a better strategy for auto makers to give the customer the option on this one. But since I'll probably never own a car made after the year 2000, it doesn't really make a difference to me, just doesn't seem smart for an auto manufacturer to get tied in to a system like this. But hey, it's tech, this shit changes fast.

One of us is incorrect. I thought iOS in the car was more like AirPlay via BT with unique UI features and in no was actually installed iOS as the car's OS. I also haven't seen any reports that if a vendor offers IOS in the Car they can't also offer Android in the Car. alongside it.

post #7 of 63
iOS in car is obviously a licensing program; short of Apple making their own cars it's obviously NOT Apple who's going to introduce the new product, you're not seeing Bosch introducing new cars either, no matter how many of them have a Bosch engine management computer on board.

As for the "long" year wait: does any of the morons who write this have ANY clue about product development cycles in the Auto industry? I think not, otherwise they wouldn't write such nonsense.
To get a brand new infotainment ecosystem into a shipping car just a year after announcing such a system is very quick, particularly if rumors about it aren't swirling around about it for five years before the announcement.
Cars are developed in 5 to 7 year cycles, not in 12 to 18 month cycles as usual in the computer tech industry.
post #8 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

One of us is incorrect. 

Yep, probably me.

post #9 of 63
Quote:

Yep, probably me.

If I honestly thought it had to be you I would have said something. I'm not shy. 1biggrin.gif I honestly don't know which one will be correct because there is so little info and Apple can do some weird stuff like.

post #10 of 63
Quote:

You should get a newer car just for the advances in safety features alone.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #11 of 63
I'm hoping more manufacturers will come on board, as those are three I would probably never buy from. Actually, what I really want is for after-market companies, such as Alpine, to implement it.
post #12 of 63

I really wish Apple would partner with a 3rd party manufacturer for aftermarket head units.

post #13 of 63
Quote: rfca
 To get a brand new infotainment ecosystem into a shipping car just a year after announcing such a system is very quick, particularly if rumors about it aren't swirling around about it for five years before the announcement.
Cars are developed in 5 to 7 year cycles, not in 12 to 18 month cycles as usual in the computer tech industry.

Yes and no. Cars are still developed on 5 to 7 year cycles, but infotainment is not any longer.

That all changed back in 2009 when MS Sync became the reason people bought Fords. Following that, car MFRs realized that in part, their vehicles are A/V touchscreens that happen to have wheels.

They're getting smarter: with every bit of telematics on CANBUS, they either spec it into the radio and Alpine, BOSCH, Blaupunkt, Delphi, or whoever the contract goes to, builds it as the OEM (Bose is a licensed out name for car, B&W has a car tech licensing program as well). 

They have come to realize that they need to be able to substitute the infotainment on a 12-18 month cycle, because no one wants to be stuck with an antiquated system that depresses car sales numbers. Chrysler shipping a spinning HDD under the dash doesn't cut it on a 5 year timeline. 

18 months is about right. That's how long it took BMW to spin up and ship the new iDrive that's MFi licensed. Between the iOS in the car initiatives and the Android in the car initiatives, development time could potentially shrink further.

post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

I'm hoping more manufacturers will come on board, as those are three I would probably never buy from. Actually, what I really want is for after-market companies, such as Alpine, to implement it.

Me too, although I suspect it won't happen. The aftermarket head unit sales are shrinking as everyone thinks it's too much trouble for too little reward to take out the stock radio anymore. 

Alpine will probably make one under OEM contract, but you and I will never know it was an Alpine.

post #15 of 63
Quote:

Why 2000?

I can understand the interest in 1995/6 and prior (some states don't require emissions testing on OBD1 vehicles any longer), but what's the reason for 2000?

post #16 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You should get a newer car just for the advances in safety features alone.

Meh. The wifey will hopefully be getting an E61 this summer, but if I died in a car, I could live with that. I love driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

Why 2000?

I can understand the interest in 1995/6 and prior (some states don't require emissions testing on OBD1 vehicles any longer), but what's the reason for 2000?

Oh, no specific reason really, other than being a nice round number. Emissions BS is a little part of it, but it also gives me a little extra leeway for getting my 993!... Some day. I just like older cars. More sensation, more soul. Newer cars are all so numb. You can't feel the engine, you can't feel the road, you can't feel the brakes... there's so much disconnect. I love the sensation of driving a machine. Plus I love fixing my stuff. I've fixed my iPhones, iPads, as well as tons of other stuff throughout my life. It's not that you can't fix newer cars yourself, it's just that they're not as fixer-friendly. And then the electronics. Once that stuff goes... Forget about it. Late 80's to late 90's was the golden age of the car. Now they're all disposable appliances. No thanks.

post #17 of 63

I can't believe BMW is not willing to even try this out.

This could be their Verizon vs Cingular moment.

I hope Mercedes puts this in their GLK-350.

Time will tell.

post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I can't believe BMW is not willing to even try this out.

This could be their Verizon vs Cingular moment.

I hope Mercedes puts this in their GLK-350.

Time will tell.

BMW just got done with their MFi iDrive system. Additionally, they may not have the choice.  See: the original AirPlay speaker partners.

post #19 of 63
Quote:

Meh. The wifey will hopefully be getting an E61 this summer, but if I died in a car, I could live with that. I love driving.

Oh, no specific reason really, other than being a nice round number. Emissions BS is a little part of it, but it also gives me a little extra leeway for getting my 993!... Some day. I just like older cars. More sensation, more soul. Newer cars are all so numb. You can't feel the engine, you can't feel the road, you can't feel the brakes... there's so much disconnect. I love the sensation of driving a machine. Plus I love fixing my stuff. I've fixed my iPhones, iPads, as well as tons of other stuff throughout my life. It's not that you can't fix newer cars yourself, it's just that they're not as fixer-friendly. And then the electronics. Once that stuff goes... Forget about it. Late 80's to late 90's was the golden age of the car. Now they're all disposable appliances. No thanks.

I'm mixed - I do like a late 90s car for wrenching on, but heavens, my 2005 is comfortable. And, it's not numb at all - a little acceleration and the rear wheels are happy to swing out to the side. I will admit to having changed the differential mounts and shift linkage to polyurethane and mounting thicker anti-sway bars on it.

post #20 of 63

Never mind

post #21 of 63
My wife's Lexus is very iOS integrated yet Lexus is not mentioned here. Her ES 350 allows her to talk to Siri and control her 5s totally hands free. What else is there?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #22 of 63

"Apple executives "didn't quite know what to do" with the iOS in the Car program"

So has this issue been solved?

Jan. 28

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/28/organizational-strife-said-to-bedevil-apples-ios-in-the-car-intiative

post #23 of 63
I hope it works better than Ford's SYNC thing. Half the time, it wouldn't recognize the connected iPhone.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 63

PLEASE work with VW because their UI is mostly crap (especially if you have the on board navigation). 

post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Andersen View Post

PLEASE work with VW because their UI is mostly crap (especially if you have the on board navigation). 

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 63
I'm an Apple and VW fanboy so of course I would love VW/Audi to get on board. I can't speak of VW navigation since I don't understand why anyone would spend that much on a crappy nav. My Garmin and iPhone are plenty fine for gps. Lately I just use my phone and not my Garmin.
post #27 of 63
Volvo showed off their new interface for their Volvo Concept Estate, which looks suspiciously like an iOS GUI.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/27/volvo-infotainment-user-interface-concept-estate-geneva/
post #28 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Not happy with your 911 Turbo's infotainment system eh?

post #29 of 63
Tesla please.
post #30 of 63

It would be so sweet if Apple really entered this space with all the power in the world. So many patents, so little innovation, so crappy software, just like phones before the iPhone.

People are focussed on stupid worthless things. Why does it matter to 99% of the world if your car goes above 200 km/h? It's illegal, dangerous, irrational. I believe that the trick to make a really enjoyable car for almost everyone is to make it all about software. Currently I believe that the GT-R (Software making that engine work like a charm) and Model S (everything) are the best examples, with the tesla dominating the car rankings, for obvious reasons.

And once it is all about software (intuitive, faster and more importantly updatable) and support there's one company that stands above everybody else.

For once, the benefits would be immense for Apple. Not only the billions, not only the renewed sensation of disruption, not only the dream, but also one step further to tell the world that you are not an US company anymore but a Global company, and join the best automotive engineers in the world, right here in Europe.

I don't (yet) really understand why some of the most talented people prefer to go to the US, where the educational system (and results) are terrible, but if there is one area where the US are also pathetically inferior, is automotive engineering. American cars, with their huge engines, pathetic build quality, pathetic handling, pathetic security are so un-Apple like. That's PC-like mentality (more cores Vs bigger engine, beige box Vs everything you have, etc.).

Apple doesn't seem American at all, neither does Google. Maybe because they are only American in everything tax-related? I would love to know.

Anyway, Cars + TV + wearables look like fantastic areas. Between those, TV + wearables look obvious bets and easier for Apple (iOS, iPhones, etc. and the ecosystem are already there, it's just a matter of war of Attrition) but cars look like a million time bigger deal.

And with cars comes TSLA. With TSLA, Musk. For the current Apple (and the next few years) there's no one better than Cook, I believe. But when Apple looks at the sky again, or looks to conquer something else (as they did, before), Musk is the guy.

Steve managed to be Pixar's and Apple's CEO, Musk is capable of much more. He could bring all of his companies to Apple (or closer). That's leaving everybody on every area scared to death. Those are the companies that could build a nice home, in Mars.

post #31 of 63
I'm confused about what this is. Apple needs to make an iPad for your dashboard hardware item car manufacturers would install at a factory level and allow new car customers an option to add on the "iCar package" (GPS, FM/AM radio, Bluetooth, WiFi for either ad-hoc updating from your phone or long range for updating from your driveway, 32 GB HD with larger options, plus select custom car functions per car maker like heated seat controls or airflow control) for a reasonably price when purchasing their car, with some manufacturers bundling the hardware package for "free" to help get sales of their cars up. I was exited there for a second when I saw this article title. Damn.

EDIT: The title of the article first read with the words "new operating system".
Edited by Ireland - 3/1/14 at 9:27am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #32 of 63

All Apple needs is a modified Apple TV like box hardwired into the dash along with the manufacturers system of choice and outputting to a touchscreen which along with steering wheel controls acts as the remote.

It could link to an iPhone or iPad via airplay and other phones via bluetooth and utilise their Internet connection.

You could also link it to your homes wifi network for syncing an iTunes library, updates etc and have it connect when in range.

Simple and most of the work is already done.

post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

People are focussed on stupid worthless things. Why does it matter to 99% of the world if your car goes above 200 km/h?

It's nice to reach 100km/h in just over 5 seconds and end up in a good buffer zone with no-one else anywhere near you.

post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

People are focussed on stupid worthless things. Why does it matter to 99% of the world if your car goes above 200 km/h?

It's nice to reach 100km/h in just over 5 seconds and end up in a good buffer zone with no-one else anywhere near you.

Exactly, that's why Tesla has the correct approach. Everything above 200 km/h should be illegal or only sold to professionals when justified.

Again, people have all these ideas of "fun", "feeling", etc. while driving. It isn't. Roads aren't yours. It's not your decision to decide if you go above or bellow X km/h, or if you drift or not. There are limits and rules.

So why selling cars that go above 150 km/h? Autobahn? I remember reading somewhere that the GT-R only unlocks full power/speed when the GPS detects that you are in a circuit. Samse stuff should be applied.

post #35 of 63

I won't be happy until there's a big Apple logo on Ferrari's Formula 1 car. Forza Ferrari, y'all! 8-)

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #36 of 63
Quote:

.......but if I died in a car, I could live with that.

If you can manage to pull that off, hats off to you, Sir! ;-)
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

BMW just got done with their MFi iDrive system.

BMW's iDrive is crapness raised to the n-th level. irked.gif
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I won't be happy until there's a big Apple logo on Ferrari's Formula 1 car. Forza Ferrari, y'all! 1cool.gif

Yes, a Team Apple F1 would be cool! Way cooler than Red Bull.

To paraphrase Steve ... "F1 do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugary water?" 1biggrin.gif

The Team Apple could be black or white cars with an inverse Apple logo. It would look spectacular!

Then ... Take it to the next level ... in an actual F1 race ...

"Siri ... shift down now, shift down again, ... OMG .. brake ......brake!!!!"

"I'm sorry, I am unable to break I am made of very strong material, shall i look that up for ....."
Edited by digitalclips - 3/1/14 at 6:24am
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

One of us is incorrect. I thought iOS in the car was more like AirPlay via BT with unique UI features and in no was actually installed iOS as the car's OS. I also haven't seen any reports that if a vendor offers IOS in the Car they can't also offer Android in the Car. alongside it.

Did you get to the bottom of this? I agree the article tells us nothing. As I mentioned in the thread, my wife's Lexus already has total blue tooth integration that lets her, hands free, do anything she wishes on her iPhone, however I am thinking perhaps this concept takes it farther by placing a screen in the car which displays what would normally display on the iPhone, i.e. when you ask for directions iOS is running the screen with Apple maps on it. In effect the guts of an iPhone on the dashboard. In fact, if Apple are as clever as I know they are ... they are planning an iPhone sans pretty case, rather in a functional one without any buttons, that slots into an Apple designed dashboard to be the brains of the built in screen, sound system etc.. That way the iPhone part could be upgraded easily thus more sales for Apple and always the latest technology in the car. ... an iCar?
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Did you get to the bottom of this? I agree the article tells us nothing. As I mentioned in the thread, my wife's Lexus already has total blue tooth integration that lets her, hands free, do anything she wishes on her iPhone, however I am thinking perhaps this concept takes it farther by placing a screen in the car which displays what would normally display on the iPhone, i.e. when you ask for directions iOS is running the screen with Apple maps on it. In effect the guts of an iPhone on the dashboard. In fact, if Apple are as clever as I know they are ... they are planning an iPhone sans pretty case, rather in a functional one without any buttons, that slots into an Apple designed dashboard to be the brains of the built in screen, sound system etc.. That way the iPhone part could be upgraded easily thus more sales for Apple and always the latest technology in the car. ... an iCar?

I've got nothing and probably won't until Apple wants us to know.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple to announce 'iOS in the Car' tie up with Ferrari, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz next week
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to announce 'iOS in the Car' tie up with Ferrari, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz next week