or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › What DVD Player should I buy?

What DVD Player should I buy?

post #1 of 4
Right now I'm playing all my dvds on my PS2 and I'm a little disappointed with the quality of DVD playback on the PS2. I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen TV with component video inputs. I'm looking for a player in the $150-$300 range.
post #2 of 4
look at the Toshiba 210
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #3 of 4
Poor playback on the PS2? I bought the component video cables and optical cable for my PS2 and I've been fairly impressed with the quality.

However, it still doesn't compare to a standalone Sony player. I have experience with most models except Panasonic, and I still find Sony to be the best overall. The smooth scanning both forward and back, great picture quality and easy-to-use remote make it my top choice. Some say the remote is bulky, but I find it much easier to use and control.

I also have an Apex DVD player for MP3 playback and multi-region support. Picture and scanning are not quite as impressive as the Sony, but it gets the job done and is darn good for the price.

The 5-disc Sony DVD changer can be had for as little as $220 at Best Buy. Check it out. And for those of you who have not yet entered the world of Component Video, you are missing out. To me the difference between S-Video and Component Video is like the difference between Dolby Pro-Logic and Dolby Digital. Seriously. You'll notice it even more on animated titles and games on the PS2. Playing SSX Tricky through S-Video is SO BLURRY compared to component video. Really a huge difference, especially if you've calibrated your TV correctly. (Highly recommended!)

BTW, the new season of DVD players will start arriving this June.

Good luck!!

-------------
RosettaStoned

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: RosettaStoned ]</p>
post #4 of 4
I've got a PS2 and a stand alone Sony DVD player. Got the DVD player first so I never even used the PS2 to play a DVD.

I forget the actual model number of the Sony but it has the 5.1 audio, optical out and the digital video out (I can't remember the name of that either, I'm not good with these a/v names). It has the connections so you can hook it up directly to an HD or Digital TV. I love it. Couldn't be happier. It was a christmas gift from my girlfriend 2 years ago so I'm not sure how much she paid but I'd bet its a lot cheaper now.

Anyway, I think it will last a long time because when I finally get a digital TV my DVD player will be all set. I wouldn't get a DVD player that doesn't have that digital out. But thats just me.
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › What DVD Player should I buy?