or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iOS-powered CarPlay infotainment system, to roll out later this year

Apple announces iOS-powered CarPlay infotainment system, to roll out later this year - Page 2

post #41 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Which ones? The music icons are the same as the music app iOS.

my mistake - realized that would be tied to the car maker, hence the legacy cd/dvd and ugly icons

post #42 of 90
Quote:

Good day to announce this, right after the Samsung awards last night. 1biggrin.gif

I started to watch the awards last night. Ellen was pretty funny....but then the commercials started and I switched it off. Not so much because of Samsung, just the overall banality of the commercials.

post #43 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenly View Post

No. The "bigger antennas" are the wrong wavelength. With antennas, bigger is not better. The antenna length has to be matched to the frequency band of the signals you are trying to transmit or receive on.

Size matters! (But bigger is not necessarily better!)

I think the antenna issue is even deeper than that. If I recall correctly, the FCC approved design of the phone system includes the size of the antenna. That is, the power output of the transmitter and the size of the antenna are considered together in approving the design for production and use. Further, I believe FCC regulations prohibit adding after market antennas.

post #44 of 90

Good for Apple! Looks good...Now all we need is tesla to give up on Android. 

I know Maps had problems but I do like saying the address to Siri and it just opens and starts. It had a few miss-steps for me early on, but none lately.

I had the Tom Tom App for the iPhone way back in the day and I thought it was brilliant. But I had to type in the street number, then type in the street name. It was not easy to do in the car. 

This will certainly influence my next car purchase. It will be a hybrid, probably a Prius or a Hybrid Highlander. Would love to get an all electric but the ranges are limiting. Telsa can go 300 miles but it's a $100,000. There's an electric motorcycle, I'm considering called the Zero, $13,000 and a non-hybrid three wheeler for $6,800 that gets 84 mpg (hwy).

Best.

post #45 of 90
I'd would actually pay money to have this installed in my 2012 GMC Terrain now. This looks far better than the crappy interface I have to deal with now. I keep it on one radio station and won't use my iPod because the current set-up is so poorly designed and doesn't work quite right with the iPod. Here's hoping this update allows me to use CarPlay over the inferior GMC interface that came with my car.
post #46 of 90
The name CarPlay has to be a preemptive strike at Google is it not?
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #47 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post

No Volkswagen Group in the list.

That's a huge omission in my opinion.
It's a pity Audi partnered with Google on Android based car infotainment.

Yes. Very frustrating to see Audi/VW/Porsche go with an inferior solution.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #48 of 90

I recently listened to an audio book called Unbroken: A world war II story of survival....

I really recommend it! It was riveting.

Best regards.

post #49 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes. Very frustrating to see Audi/VW/Porsche go with an inferior solution.

Agreed, and hasn't BMW decided to do their own thing, two. No Z4 for me!

post #50 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

The name CarPlay has to be a preemptive strike at Google is it not?

It seems to be. Will this lead to TV Play? FitPlay? MedPlay?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

The bad news is the stereo sounds like crap. The frequency response was quite obviously tuned for the American market: loose, heavily boosted bass for the all the idiots who are going deaf and making themselves yet more stupid listening to trash music; heavily boosted treble to compensate for their inevitable high frequency hearing loss. One must turn the bass and treble down to -9 to hear any midrange at all.

On my last car purchase they tried to up sell me on a BOSE sound system. I actually laughed. BOSE....all the highs and all the lows. Nothing in the middle.
post #52 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post

No Volkswagen Group in the list.

That's a huge omission in my opinion.
It's a pity Audi partnered with Google on Android based car infotainment.
It won't be for long, because if they don't it will cost them sales. CarPlay will be universal in two years most likely - three at the most. Same for whatever Android produces.

The key driving forces:

1, Universal systems. Consumers want to move their devices from vehicle to vehicle, especially in multi-car families and with rentals.

2. Commonality. The device must deliver the user interface, not the auto infotainment system. Users don't want to be coping with displays and control protocols that change from vehicle to vehicle. It's an unsafe distraction while driving.

3. Connectivity. With a physical connection, there's easy portability. Go from one car to another, drop the phone into a cradle and everything else is automatic. Never a need to waste time with Bluetooth pairing, especially when driving a new vehicle such as a rental. Two riders with different devices and different contact lists or iTunes content - undock one phone and drop in the other - simple.

4. Safety. Keep it simple - keep it verbal - avoid buttons and touchscreens that take eyes off the road. Apple understands the device user interface better than any carmaker. They should have the lead in development. Regardless of all these great new capabilities, we can never forget the overriding priority - reaching the end of our journey as safe as when we started.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #53 of 90
1) I am surprised there is no mention of BT connectivity, but I wonder if it's just an omission since the devices listed seem to be the ones with BT4.0.

2) I don't know why anyone expected something revolutionary on the dash. It's a touchscreen you access whilst driving so it needs to be clean and simple.

3) I still contend, along with @Gatorguy, that any exclusivity will be short-lived and that VW Group will have iOS and the others will Android access.

4) No Rolls Royce? There goes my next car purchase¡

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

When hardwiring the phone can it then use the bigger antennas of the car, or would it still use it's one with all the rays being reflected inside the car until they can escape through one of the windows?

No, because iOS isn't designed to work that way.

Quote:

It seems to be. Will this lead to TV Play? FitPlay? MedPlay?

If Apple makes devices for proctologists will that be called AssPlay?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #54 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Correction: Two major additions.

They'll all end up with iOS. They'll all end up with Android too. Some just announced one before the other.

Maybe when you buy the car you will be asked, iOS or Android? ... then the dealership they set the default for the buyer. If so, them judging by the socioeconomic distribution we see now with the two OSs, the Android users will probably find this link useful: http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2013/02/06/cheapest-cars/
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #55 of 90
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
The interface is very ordinary. Doesn't look exciting like all the rest of Apple UI before iOS 7.

Good. It’s a car. That’s not what it’s supposed to look like. You’re supposed to be driving, not excited by your dashboard.

The background is black because anything else would be too much ambient/peripheral light for nighttime driving and would lower your outward visibility.

The UI is simple and clean with as much contrast as possible because Apple knows you’re going to be an idiot and touch the screen WHILE you’re driving, so they want you to be able to find what you’re doing as QUICKLY as possible before getting back to the only job you really have here.

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

YAY. Keep on keeping on.

Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

I’ll add that maybe that internal stereo space could be used as a compartment into which an iDevice could be safely stored. Simple little door or something.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #56 of 90
Partial quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No Rolls Royce? There goes my next car purchase¡

Damn, same here 1wink.gif

My reply to you Saturday where I guessed this was what was coming seems to have been 100% on the money! > Administers self congratulatory slap on back 1smoking.gif
post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good. It’s a car. That’s not what it’s supposed to look like. You’re supposed to be driving, not excited by your dashboard.

The background is black because anything else would be too much ambient/peripheral light for nighttime driving and would lower your outward visibility.

The UI is simple and clean with as much contrast as possible because Apple knows you’re going to be an idiot and touch the screen WHILE you’re driving, so they want you to be able to find what you’re doing as QUICKLY as possible before getting back to the only job you really have here.

YAY. Keep on keeping on.

I’ll add that maybe that internal stereo space could be used as a compartment into which an iDevice could be safely stored. Simple little door or something.

I'd say you have Man and Woman labels reversed!
post #58 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd say you have Man and Woman labels reversed!

Unless the labels indicate which one is the man and women, which typically means the knobs are manipulated by the opposite sex. In that case it would be correct.

post #59 of 90

ah, this reopens the classic "open vs. closed" topic.

car makers now have to choose whether their built-in Nav/Entertainment systems will work  fully with any brand ecosystem - Apple, Google, and others like MS - or are optimized for just one of them or some other proprietary service of that car maker.

(i'm not talking about simple bluetooth calling, i'm mean systems that run apps etc.)

Ford just announced it will switch from its own system - provided by MS and buggy - to a QNX core system. now it announces that will work with iOS CarPlay. i expect it will also work with whatever Google comes up with. so Ford would be taking an "open" approach. too bad for MS.

and any maker that supports iOS poorly puts itself at a strong disadvantage in the US market at least. we'll see how that plays out. they want to charge a lot extra for these Nav systems, and Droids don't like to pay.

post #60 of 90

You realize this is a CAR interface? You aren't supposed to be dazzled by the interface while driving. It is supposed to be simple as possible.

post #61 of 90
Quote:

1) I am surprised there is no mention of BT connectivity, but I wonder if it's just an omission since the devices listed seem to be the ones with BT4.0.

2) I don't know why anyone expected something revolutionary on the dash. It's a touchscreen you access whilst driving so it needs to be clean and simple.

3) I still contend, along with @Gatorguy, that any exclusivity will be short-lived and that VW Group will have iOS and the others will Android access.

Oh, gee... Thanks for that last comment. I just spit my breakfast all over from laughing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #62 of 90
Quote:

Oh, gee... Thanks for that last comment. I just spit my breakfast all over from laughing.

1biggrin.gif

post #63 of 90
I'm hoping Nissan delivers a software update for this. I just bought a car.
post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I'm hoping Nissan delivers a software update for this. I just bought a car.

Maybe, but I think it depends on how much longer they plan to have the current lot of Nissans for sale. If your model/year will be on sale when they plan to launch this you may be fine, but if they need to do some HW changes, like a special line for that Lightning cable, not the USB AUX port it comes with, then you may be SoL.

post #65 of 90
This article talks about how this will revolutionize cars like the ipod did MP3 players. Cool stuff, and just the beginning!

http://www.apaininthetech.com/home/2014/2/22/apple-iositc-set-to-revolutionize-cars-like-they-did-with-the-ipod
post #66 of 90
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
According to Apple, CarPlay can access all knobs, buttons and dials controlling an in-car display.

Except for the iDrive controller in BMW and Rolls Royce cars.  BMW may have invested too much time and energy (and money) in iDrive development to let Apple wade in and obsolete a huge chunk of its code.  Then again, I'm sure dealers hear customers whining each and every day about being forced to buy the "Technology Package" (a $2,150 option) for "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration" along with "Navigation system w/ touchpad" and "BMW Online and BMW Apps."  I'd expect CarPlay to replace BMW Nav and Apps, and Eyes Free to eliminate much of the menu-drill-down navigation required by iDrive.

Maybe dealers will report this dissatisfaction back to Munich, and maybe BMW management will cut a deal with Apple.  Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #67 of 90
I realize iDrive wasn't available, but CarPlay? Surely there must have been a name that sounded less Googley and more Apple-like. A little surprising.

I do like the way it looks in the video tho.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/3/14 at 9:48am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #68 of 90

They should put a touchpad down in the center console where BMW has their controller. I don't want to reach forward to touch the actual screen. I like the screen recessed in the dash so that it is shaded for better contrast and no reflections. In that position it is not convenient to reach out and touch it, especially if you are tall and have the seat all the way back.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #69 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They should put a touchpad down in the center console where BMW has their controller. I don't want to reach forward to touch the actual screen. I like the screen recessed in the dash so that it is shaded for better contrast and no reflections. In that position it is not convenient to reach out and touch it, especially if you are tall and have the seat all the way back.

1) A touchpad implies a mouse pointer which I'd think would be more cumbersome to maneuver than simply tapping on a virtually represented item.

2) I hope they include a knob option that will highlight each CarPlay item which can then be selected by pressing the knob.

3) I assume that you'll be able to use Siri commands from the hands-free button on the steering wheel to control most of the items. I'd think this would be the safest option.

post #70 of 90
Quote:

I realize iDrive wasn't available, but CarPlay? Surely there must have been a name that sounded less Googley and more Apple-like. A little surprising.

I do like the way it looks in the video tho.
Didn't Apple have AirPlay before the Google Play Store?
post #71 of 90
Quote:

Good point.

AirPlay
CarPlay
Coldplay

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #72 of 90
Quote:

Good point.

AirPlay
CarPlay
Coldplay

Kid 'n Play

post #73 of 90
Quote:

Not entirely certain. Airplay use to be called AirTunes. Don't know when they changed it or even when Google changed the Android Market to GooglePlay. In any event I think more people would generally associate CarPlay with Google than Apple (PlayMusic, PlayMovies, etc) if they didn't know any different.

EDIT: I see they called it AirPlay at WWDC2011. Maybe it was even earlier than that?
post #74 of 90
Quote:

2) I hope they include a knob option that will highlight each CarPlay item which can then be selected by pressing the knob.

I know a lot of people around the forum have little affection for BMW iDrive but it is fine for me. That is exactly how it works, with a knob. I really don't want to touch the screen. It is too far away. So yeah a knob would make sense.

One thing BMW needs to fix is the way it dials #s that have an extension. With iPhone you put a comma and it pauses just long enough to dial the extension but BMW doesn't understand the comma.

post #75 of 90
Quote:

Not entirely certain. Airplay use to be called AirTunes. Don't know when they changed it or even when Google changed the Android Market to GooglePlay. In any event I think more people would generally associate CarPlay with Google than Apple (PlayMusic, PlayMovies, etc) if they didn't know any different.

EDIT: I see they called it AirPlay at WWDC2011. Maybe it was even earlier than that?
Wikipedia has AirTunes from 2004 and AirPlay from 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know a lot of people around the forum have little affection for BMW iDrive but it is fine for me.

Well those people are knobs. 1biggrin.gif
Quote:
One thing BMW needs to fix is the way it dials #s that have an extension. With iPhone you put a comma and it pauses just long enough to dial the extension but BMW doesn't understand the comma.

Hopefully the system will use iOS to make calls thereby preserving how it dials. I'll have to check that in my car next time, but I think my hands-free shows it "calling" my phone which then the phone does it all, but I can't be certain.

One thing I am certain of is my car's address book system is downright archaic. It only lists the first three numbers for a contact and gives them labels as HOME, WORK, and OTHER; I think in that order regardless of how they are setup in the vCard in Contacts.

post #76 of 90
Quote:

Hopefully the system will use iOS to make calls thereby preserving how it dials. I'll have to check that in my car next time, but I think my hands-free shows it "calling" my phone which then the phone does it all, but I can't be certain.

Mine imports all the contacts every time I get in the car which takes awhile because I have maybe a couple hundred contacts. So apparently when I call the car just sends the number straight to the phone just like if I dialed a new number using the on-screen dialer. So maybe it is the iPhone's fault and it doesn't understand the comma when sent directly from the car, only if you are tapping the contact in iOS. Or perhaps the car removes the comma. Now that I think about, that seems more likely.

post #77 of 90
Quote:

I literally lol'ed lol.gif
post #78 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good for Apple! Looks good...Now all we need is tesla to give up on Android. 

I know Maps had problems but I do like saying the address to Siri and it just opens and starts. It had a few miss-steps for me early on, but none lately.

I had the Tom Tom App for the iPhone way back in the day and I thought it was brilliant. But I had to type in the street number, then type in the street name. It was not easy to do in the car. 

This will certainly influence my next car purchase. It will be a hybrid, probably a Prius or a Hybrid Highlander. Would love to get an all electric but the ranges are limiting. Telsa can go 300 miles but it's a $100,000. There's an electric motorcycle, I'm considering called the Zero, $13,000 and a non-hybrid three wheeler for $6,800 that gets 84 mpg (hwy).

Best.

One would have to persuade Tesla to switch from Google Maps to Apple Maps. Besides being a much less well-tested platform, Apple Maps also doesn't have an API for third parties to write mapping applications using Apple's data.

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 3/3/14 at 6:26pm
post #79 of 90
Quote:

Kid 'n Play

Here we go again.
post #80 of 90
Quote:

Not to be a pain in the ass, but this comment deserves at least a "thumbs up"!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple announces iOS-powered CarPlay infotainment system, to roll out later this year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iOS-powered CarPlay infotainment system, to roll out later this year