or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Volvo shows off Apple CarPlay integration set for 2014 vehicles

Volvo shows off Apple CarPlay integration set for 2014 vehicles

post #1 of 59
With the wraps officially taken off of CarPlay on Monday, Volvo has showcased how it will implement Apple's in-car infotainment system in its coming generation of vehicles, including the all-new XC90 SUV set to debut this year, and has also promised that Wi-Fi support for CarPlay integration is coming in the future.

Volvo

A video released by Volvo on Monday shows how Apple's iOS-based CarPlay will be integrated into Volvo's own in-car user interface. The demonstration includes a total of seven applications: Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, Now Playing, Podcasts and Spotify.

Volvo's solution is a touchscreen-based interface that also allows users to control features of the vehicle such as temperature. The video boasts that CarPlay will provide iOS users with a familiar environment without being distracting to drivers.

Apple CarPlay will be available in forthcoming Volvo models based on the company's new Scalable Product Architecture, starting with the XC90.

Volvo is among the first companies to support Apple's CarPlay, joining Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari.CarPlay integration will initially require a Lightning cable, though Volvo revealed that Wi-Fi support is "coming in the near future." The connection is based on a streaming H.264 video feed that returns user input from the touchscreen.

"iPhone users will feel completely at home in a new Volvo. We have created a wholly-integrated user experience in our large portrait-oriented touch screen that takes the in-car mobile device experience to a new level," said says H?kan Samuelsson, president and CEO of the Volvo Car Group. "That, coupled with the obvious driver safety benefits of an advanced voice control system like Siri, made Apple a perfect match for Volvo."

CarPlay was officially announced by Apple earlier Monday, rebranding the company's "iOS in the Car" initiative unveiled with iOS 7 last year. The system will integrate both the touch and voice controls of iOS with a car's infotainment system.

Volvo will be one of the first companies to release vehicles with CarPlay, along with Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari. Other announced partners include BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Land Rover, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Subaru, Suzuki, and Toyota have also pledged support.
post #2 of 59
Looks nice. Is the system itself "smart" or does it rely on the phone to do the heavy lifting? Obviously it has to have some capabilities itself, but it could have a mode to where it basically just streams your phone interface like iTV or chromecast.

If it does that I could see similar things cropping up, basically phone dummy terminals tailored to their respective use (at restaurants, airports etc)
post #3 of 59
I honestly would be willing to throw down some good cash for Apple to somehow create a software update for my '09 BMW that I could install via USB so that I could have this functionality. It sucks that I'll more than likely have to wait a few more years until I buy a new car though.
post #4 of 59
Now if they can make an interface for stupid people. Like the ones that can't drive.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #5 of 59
Looks sweet. In the market for new car later this year, going to take a close look at Volvo

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #6 of 59
In Flames!
post #7 of 59
I think it's reasonable to assume all of the major car makers will offer automatic driver functions in ten years, with the high-end cars having this feature within five years.

I wonder how Apple will fit into this environment? Surely Apple has plans evolving for AI systems and won't allow Google to own this market.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 59
interface seems a bit un-apple like...hope it won't lead to frustration.

good thing is it looks like it's a touch screen pass through to the iphone, so the car manufacturers can't screw it up too badly.
post #9 of 59
I drive a 1981 VW beetle. I have no idea what most of this technology does for driving.

To me this all sounds like: let's add all the distractions we can find but let's make them the most non distracting as possible. I just don't know.

Spelling corrected
Edited by Drunkzombie - 3/3/14 at 8:28am
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I drive a 1981 VW Beatle.

Is it Paul or Ringo?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I drive a 1981 VW Beatle[sic]. I have no idea what most of this technology does for driving.

To me this all sounds like: let's add all the distractions we can find but let's make them the most non distracting as possible. I just don't know.

You're right, these don't help with the actual driving and could take away from it, but they do allow the driver to listen to music, use an interactive mapping, get verbals directions, allow you to ask for places along a route (like a gas station), take a call without having to pick up a cellphone, change the music and volume without removing your hands from the steering wheel, etc. These are benefits over that old AM/FM radio in a 1981 Bug and can help the driver, too.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #12 of 59
I think this is a win-win scenario for everyone.. Just have iOS integrated instead of taking over completely which would still allow car manufacturers to do what they want..and drivers who are not iPhone users don't have to deal with it..
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

I honestly would be willing to throw down some good cash for Apple to somehow create a software update for my '09 BMW that I could install via USB so that I could have this functionality. It sucks that I'll more than likely have to wait a few more years until I buy a new car though.

Agreed though it might not be as simple as that. A lot of cars implement their own voice recognition outside of the infotainment system and then pass the command through to the phone rather than passing what was said to the phone. Because of this Siri is basically unusable when it's connected to the car

post #14 of 59
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
Now if they can make an interface for stupid people. Like the ones that can't drive.

Google’s working on one: a self-driving car.

Google: For stupid people.™

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #15 of 59
This looks really promising. I hope the rumors of Ford ditching Microsoft turn out to be true. Although Ford Sync has become much better, Apple's offering looks a hundred times better.
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Looks nice. Is the system itself "smart" or does it rely on the phone to do the heavy lifting? Obviously it has to have some capabilities itself, but it could have a mode to where it basically just streams your phone interface like iTV or chromecast.

If it does that I could see similar things cropping up, basically phone dummy terminals tailored to their respective use (at restaurants, airports etc)

There needs to be two parts to controlling a vehicle. One is the OS that actually controls the vehicle. That could be QNX, for example, with a simplified UI for changing temperature, and other basic auto mobile functions such as engine control, brakes, etc.

The other, and layered on top, or completely separate, is what Apple is doing. They control the nav system, entertainment and communications with the outside world. The two systems aren't mutually exclusive, unless Blackberry, for example, has an acceptable UI of their own, with the same services, and can sell that UI to the vehicle makers.

This is what Microsoft has been doing with sync, their not as well received vehicle OS.
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think it's reasonable to assume all of the major car makers will offer automatic driver functions in ten years, with the high-end cars having this feature within five years.

I wonder how Apple will fit into this environment? Surely Apple has plans evolving for AI systems and won't allow Google to own this market.

I really wonder about that. Apple seems to be lagging there. While Google buys robot manufacturers, and has a lot of publicity witheir driverless cars, Apple does noting public, and we don't see any purchases that would show them leaning in that direction. As we know from other articles point out that Apple has made purchases that we don't know about, except for the number.

And Cook just recently said that their saphirre plant was, at least partly, going to be used for a secret project, though that may be the watch.

But any purchases they may have made that we don't know about are likely very small companies that as a result of their size, and apparent invisibility, we won't know about unless Apple decides to have a product that they announce uses their technology.

I imagine that Apple must be working on better AI than Siri, which isn't much more today than it was when it first came out, and languished for two years as a beta product. I keep hoping that they've got something that they're working on that is a killer AI. But with no evidence to support that hope, I'm stymied as to what they may be doing, and my contacts there haven't said anything at all to me about anything in that area, for some time now.

AI is the future of computer control, whether it's voice control, gestures, some combo of the two, or something else altogether, possibly including eye control. If Apple want to lead, they have little choice but to investigate this at a high level. I hope they are.
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Google’s working on one: a self-driving car.

Google: For stupid people.™

We'll all be better off with self driving cars. I can't wait.
post #19 of 59
Quote:

Do you actually think car companies will allow third party automatic driver functions to take over their cars?  Hell no!

Who will be responsible when the system fails and causes an accident?

post #20 of 59
Odd that we have to wait for a Volvo video to show it working.
Looks nice, simple and clear, as it should be to avoid distraction.
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We'll all be better off with self driving cars. I can't wait.

Yes, more security, less congestion on the roads. Less pollution and maybe even less traffic, if usage of shuttle cars is democratized. 

post #22 of 59

Does it fit my 2008 C70 or is it only available for new models?

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

This looks really promising. I hope the rumors of Ford ditching Microsoft turn out to be true. Although Ford Sync has become much better, Apple's offering looks a hundred times better.

I agree. I have a couple Lincolns and iOS would be great vs sync. Only bad thing is I'll have to wait 4-5 years as I only buy 2-3 year old used cars. 1smile.gif

I still think apple is missing the boat here though by not offering their own setup/head units where they have complete control over all hardware and software. It also allows it to be easily user upgradable to get annual or every two year refresh cycles.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #24 of 59
FINALLY, I am getting all damp in the panties about this. Can't wait to have it in my new car this year.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Do you actually think car companies will allow third party automatic driver functions to take over their cars?  Hell no!

Are you aware of Google's driverless car project or the many states that have already laws on the books allowing these vehicles on the road for testing?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 59

You must bring VW to the fold, YOU MUST... Aaaargh!!

bb
bb
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Car companies? Don't you mean local governments? Why the hell would car companies care if you installed a 3rd party automatic driver into the car that you now own? If it's the aftermarket system that failed, the responsibility seems clear although they will no doubt be sold with a use at your own risk liability waiver that transfers the responsibility onto the vehicle operator.

But in any case - it won't be the vehicle manufacturers that object to a 3rd party system although they probably won't offer it as a factory option for exactly those liability issues.

System failures will also be extremely rare because of multiple, redundant failsafe systems which disable the auto-drive functionality safely when the first sign of a problem is detected.
post #28 of 59
Quote:

I think it's reasonable to assume all of the major car makers will offer automatic driver functions in ten years,

I think its reasonable to assume that there is no chance of that happening whatsoever.

post #29 of 59
Quote:

I really wonder about that. Apple seems to be lagging there. While Google buys robot manufacturers, and has a lot of publicity witheir driverless cars, Apple does noting public,

Because its completely ridiculous, implausible, and otherwise f'ing stupid. Hence why Google is all over.

post #30 of 59
Looks nice. I wonder how the system will work with non Apple smartphones. This seems an area where car manufacturers would want to offer some usability to other platforms.
post #31 of 59
I really like the sound of this feature, but until it becomes more widely available I'll continue using "Harken For iPhone" in the car. It's much easier to use than Apple's music player (bigger text, large buttons/touch areas). There's also "Harken" on the iPad but I need a new cradle for my iPad so I can't use it at the moment.
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Looks nice. I wonder how the system will work with non Apple smartphones. This seems an area where car manufacturers would want to offer some usability to other platforms.

The same way. Android et al. just have to make their own system that can be sent to the in-car system.

post #33 of 59
It's funny how our $200 phone determines what $20 000 car we drive, the power marketing. On a different note I wonder if Apple will open this to Kenwood, Alpine, Sony for the aftermarket ice segment?
post #34 of 59
Quote:

I really wonder about that. Apple seems to be lagging there. While Google buys robot manufacturers, and has a lot of publicity witheir driverless cars, Apple does noting public, and we don't see any purchases that would show them leaning in that direction. As we know from other articles point out that Apple has made purchases that we don't know about, except for the number.

And Cook just recently said that their saphirre plant was, at least partly, going to be used for a secret project, though that may be the watch.

But any purchases they may have made that we don't know about are likely very small companies that as a result of their size, and apparent invisibility, we won't know about unless Apple decides to have a product that they announce uses their technology.

I imagine that Apple must be working on better AI than Siri, which isn't much more today than it was when it first came out, and languished for two years as a beta product. I keep hoping that they've got something that they're working on that is a killer AI. But with no evidence to support that hope, I'm stymied as to what they may be doing, and my contacts there haven't said anything at all to me about anything in that area, for some time now.

AI is the future of computer control, whether it's voice control, gestures, some combo of the two, or something else altogether, possibly including eye control. If Apple want to lead, they have little choice but to investigate this at a high level. I hope they are.

Last year's purchase of the personal assistant company named Cue gives Apple an entry into AI. Here is a link to an article covering Apple's purchase... http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/03/rumor-apple-may-have-acquired-personal-assistant-app-cue-for-at-least-35m. It looks like Apple was able to Cue functionality into CarPlay to provide a compelling solution for getting drivers where they want to go by accessing Contacts, Calendar, Reminders and email. Passbook could be added as well. Apple has been pretty good with asking permission to access customer data and being transparent about how it is using the customer data so, I am thinking it will continue being good about that.

post #35 of 59
Do you need to have an iPhone to use this Car Play system?

Part of me wonders, is this is going in the right direction? The current direction seems more like one screen that does everything rather than adding another touchscreen. If there was a way to simply stick your phone into the dash and let it take over the music, maps, etc, that would satisfy the needs. Apple probably sees the opportunity of getting inside a potential customer's car, and getting them into the ecosystem. I don't like the direction this could go - what if Android starts getting into cars? Then I'll be stuck with an Android car? I'd hate to make my car decision based off of the OS in the dash.
post #36 of 59
Touch is not a good interface for a vehicle in motion...I've had a few cars with it, and at 60 miles an hour, its not ideal. Controllers like BMW's iDrive or Mercedes Command, while seemingly old school, are safer as you can comfortably rest your arm and wrist on the console, and deliver controlled movements to the interface. you spend more time looking at a touch screen to be sure you're pressing the right area than you do with a hard controller. In face, certain common actions are done by sense memory with the controller, further minimizing distraction.
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Because its completely ridiculous, implausible, and otherwise f'ing stupid. Hence why Google is all over.

lol.gif ok Mr. Stuck in the Stoneage. I guess you boycott all planes with autopilot as well? Only fly the tried n' true prop planes? Self-driving cars will cut down on a lot of traffic congestion and make the roads a lot safer. It will take some time, probably more than 10 years, but it will happen. Google's done some really good work in this space. I wish they had some competition, but I'm also not sure it makes sense for Apple to get involved. I like CarPlay though. That'll become a nice standard really quick.
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Do you need to have an iPhone to use this Car Play system?

Part of me wonders, is this is going in the right direction? The current direction seems more like one screen that does everything rather than adding another touchscreen. If there was a way to simply stick your phone into the dash and let it take over the music, maps, etc, that would satisfy the needs. Apple probably sees the opportunity of getting inside a potential customer's car, and getting them into the ecosystem. I don't like the direction this could go - what if Android starts getting into cars? Then I'll be stuck with an Android car? I'd hate to make my car decision based off of the OS in the dash.

Android is already going into Audis in the (near?) future, and I assume the rest of the VW family brands will also receive Android later. I'm not sure whether that will sit well with at least part of the Audi and Porsche crowd...

post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjhj View Post

Android is already going into Audis in the (near?) future, and I assume the rest of the VW family brands will also receive Android later. I'm not sure whether that will sit well with at least part of the Audi and Porsche crowd...

Yes, but this misses the point. I currently and a VW driver, but would never use an Android phone. I want iOS integration. How will vendors like VW, and Volvo deal with other phone platforms? I do not want Android on my dash, when I am using iOS on my phone. 

post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, but this misses the point. I currently and a VW driver, but would never use an Android phone. I want iOS integration. How will vendors like VW, and Volvo deal with other phone platforms? I do not want Android on my dash, when I am using iOS on my phone. 

I'm in the same boat.

That said, there is a serious risk involved also for car makers when they tie themselves to one or the other platform. I cannot for the life of me imagine that Porsche will use only Android in the car in the future. It could turn out to be a colossal mistake.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Volvo shows off Apple CarPlay integration set for 2014 vehicles