or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Volvo shows off Apple CarPlay integration set for 2014 vehicles

Volvo shows off Apple CarPlay integration set for 2014 vehicles - Page 2

post #41 of 59

Perhaps this is too obvious and stupid a question, but where are 'regular' and satellite radios?

post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by locueh View Post

It's funny how our $200 phone determines what $20 000 car we drive, the power marketing. On a different note I wonder if Apple will open this to Kenwood, Alpine, Sony for the aftermarket ice segment?

What $200 phone?

post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Touch is not a good interface for a vehicle in motion...I've had a few cars with it, and at 60 miles an hour, its not ideal. Controllers like BMW's iDrive or Mercedes Command, while seemingly old school, are safer as you can comfortably rest your arm and wrist on the console, and deliver controlled movements to the interface. you spend more time looking at a touch screen to be sure you're pressing the right area than you do with a hard controller. In face, certain common actions are done by sense memory with the controller, further minimizing distraction.

I imagine that there'll surely be some type of Siri-based voice recognition system.

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What $200 phone?

What $20,000 car? lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I imagine that there'll surely be some type of Siri-based voice recognition system.

Of course, but it seems a lot of these early demos are showing touch as an alternative means...

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Touch is not a good interface for a vehicle in motion...I've had a few cars with it, and at 60 miles an hour, its not ideal. Controllers like BMW's iDrive or Mercedes Command, while seemingly old school, are safer as you can comfortably rest your arm and wrist on the console, and deliver controlled movements to the interface. you spend more time looking at a touch screen to be sure you're pressing the right area than you do with a hard controller. In face, certain common actions are done by sense memory with the controller, further minimizing distraction.

While I like iOS7, when driving, I miss iPods with the tactile clickwheel. I hope latter iterations of CarPlay will incorporate a tactile feel for different areas of the display.

post #47 of 59
Volvo's explanation cleared a lot up. I had questions about people who have both iOS devices and Android or like to switch in between and what that would mean for CarPlay. But it seems that both Volvo's own OS and CarPlay run on the in-car entertainment system. I guess from the moment you plug in an iPhone it switches to CarPlay and if you use another device you can use Volvo's own OS. That solution makes perfect sense to me.
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Because its completely ridiculous, implausible, and otherwise f'ing stupid. Hence why Google is all over.

lol.gif ok Mr. Stuck in the Stoneage. I guess you boycott all planes with autopilot as well? Only fly the tried n' true prop planes? Self-driving cars will cut down on a lot of traffic congestion and make the roads a lot safer. It will take some time, probably more than 10 years, but it will happen. Google's done some really good work in this space. I wish they had some competition, but I'm also not sure it makes sense for Apple to get involved. I like CarPlay though. That'll become a nice standard really quick.

How will self driving cars cut down on road congestion?
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

More efficient driving techniques? Less overall accidents thus reducing the amount of accident related congestion? Ideal speed so even rubberneckers will not be holding yup traffic from an accident on the other side of the road?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Because its completely ridiculous, implausible, and otherwise f'ing stupid. Hence why Google is all over.

Just because you may not personally see a need for a driverless car, rest assured, it's going to arrive sooner than you think and the reason is because of the massive numbers of aging Americans. Those people aren't going to simply disappear. They will need transportation over the next twenty years as the Boomer population works its way through their waning years. There will be driverless vehicles, more robots and artificial intelligence systems to assist this population because there are simply not enough people in America available to work, pay taxes and take care of the elderly. Automation will have to fill the gap.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #51 of 59
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Wait, really?

Self-driving cars can–with accuracy far surpassing that of a human–drive in tighter formation, making for better aerodynamics and higher road capacity. For example, you could have a set of five cars ping data back and forth from each other to determine that they’re all going to the same place (getting off at the same exit, what have you). So then these cars maneuver themselves into a line with only a foot or two of separation going 70 MPH. They brake nigh simultaneously, accelerate nigh simultaneously, and altogether remove the human error from the equation that is the cause of traffic. If one car, say in the middle, changes its mind about destination, the two behind would slow down such that a gap could be made to turn the middle one out to its new route. Afterward they accelerate to match distance with the two in front.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

You must bring VW to the fold, YOU MUST... Aaaargh!!

Aaaargh!! x2

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Car companies? Don't you mean local governments? Why the hell would car companies care if you installed a 3rd party automatic driver into the car that you now own? If it's the aftermarket system that failed, the responsibility seems clear although they will no doubt be sold with a use at your own risk liability waiver that transfers the responsibility onto the vehicle operator.

But in any case - it won't be the vehicle manufacturers that object to a 3rd party system although they probably won't offer it as a factory option for exactly those liability issues.

System failures will also be extremely rare because of multiple, redundant failsafe systems which disable the auto-drive functionality safely when the first sign of a problem is detected.

So you will still need a driver. The problem with driving on roads is that, for a large proportion of journeys, you are a split second away from a crash. Therefore, even if you automate the driving, you still need a human as a backup in case something goes wrong. And if that human isn't concentrating, will he react in a split second? Probably not; in which case, the human needs to be alert at all times, in which case he may as well be driving.

With a plane journey, it is a very different situation. Firstly, you have highly trained pilots, who still have to remain alert with auto-pilot on. Secondly, for most plane journeys, the plane is at least several seconds away from another plane or a potential crash. Therefore, there is a reasonable time to respond, at least for highly trained pilots, and so they can afford to rely on auto-pilot for most of the journey.

It is very hard to envisage a situation in which cars will ever be sufficiently far away from a crash situation to give time for a human to take over from an auto-pilot.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It is very hard to envisage a situation in which cars will ever be sufficiently far away from a crash situation to give time for a human to take over from an auto-pilot.

Humans drive much more distracted than a self-navigating car would. I'd expect far fewer accidents. Far fewer. The limited autonomous features cars already have like automated braking, lane change warnings and others are already saving injuries and property damage.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/crash-avoidance-features-reduce-crashes-insurance-claims-study-shows-autonomous-braking-and-adaptive-headlights-yield-biggest-benefits

Whether you can already understand the benefit yourself is moot anyway, Self-driving cars are coming.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Humans drive much more distracted than a self-navigating car would. I'd expect far fewer accidents. Far fewer. The limited autonomous features cars already have like automated braking, lane change warnings and others are already saving injuries and property damage.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/crash-avoidance-features-reduce-crashes-insurance-claims-study-shows-autonomous-braking-and-adaptive-headlights-yield-biggest-benefits

Whether you can already understand the benefit yourself is moot anyway, Self-driving cars are coming.

You're missing my point. You'll still need an alert driver with some form of automation.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're missing my point. You'll still need an alert driver with some form of automation.

Only to completely eliminate accidents- which is an impossibility.  Sure, there will still be accidents- but far fewer ones.

I will admit though- It is a crazy thing to think about and wrap your mind around.  You only have an accident if the system fails.  Which takes the power out of my hands (which I feel I am a very safe driver).  But its more about wrapping your head around the fact you're in "mass transit" at that point and time and currently- we place our lives in the hands of bus drivers, pilots, subway systems, etc.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But its more about wrapping your head around the fact you're in "mass transit" at that point and time and currently- we place our lives in the hands of bus drivers, pilots, subway systems, etc.

Excellent mentions! I hadn't considered those as other transportation modes where we relinquish control.
post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's also worth mentioning that true artificial intelligence is not far off and will be an integral part of both traffic control and onboard navigation and collision avoidance.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's also worth mentioning that true artificial intelligence is not far off and will be an integral part of both traffic control and onboard navigation and collision avoidance.

The State of California is unsurprisingly taking the lead on just how to regulate driverless cars.
http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/03/11/3815753/california-mulls-how-to-regulate.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Volvo shows off Apple CarPlay integration set for 2014 vehicles