or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's mystery barge ordered to stop construction work, leave San Francisco bay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google's mystery barge ordered to stop construction work, leave San Francisco bay

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
Google has been ordered to stop construction of its floating retail barge and tow the structure 80 miles east, out of the San Francisco Bay Area to the Port of Stockton in Central California after failing to obtain the proper building permits.

Google Glass barge retail store
Google's low cost, super-sized floating retail strategy was assembled on a barge, but work has now stopped. Photo: Daniel Eran Dilger


The mysterious $35 million structure (above, with the University of California, Berkeley in the background), began rising last summer off Treasure Island next to the Bay Bridge (below) that links San Francisco and the Berkeley and Oakland side of the Bay Area. The project was originally described by Google as being a "temporary technology exhibit space."



However, an investigation into the construction revealed that Google actually planned to use the barge as a floating retail store that the company's representatives reportedly described as "an important opportunity for the launching" of Google Glass.

A permit from the Bay Conservation and Development Commission is required to moor a barge in the bay for any period of time, both during construction and were it to be moved to the City's heavily trafficked Fisherman's Wharf area to attract attention from tourists. Gaining such a permit requires a legitimate plan involving maritime or recreational use.

Google Glass barge retail store


Google Glass barge retail store


Rather than just being delayed for months, Google's apparent attempt to make an end run around planning process resulted in a regulatory order in January to stop construction on Treasure Island and tow the structure out of region managed by the commission.

Google must tow the barge 80 miles east of its current location in the San Francisco Bay to the Port of Stockton in California's Central Valley, south of Sacramento. The barge is supposed to be moved this week, by March 7.

Google Glass barge retail store


Google's plans to bypass environmental review backfires



The floating project appeared aimed to skirting environmental review and public planning procedures, regulations that can add significant cost or delay.

Apple's own retail store plans for a new Union Square store just three blocks from its existing San Francisco flagship location have been regularly delayed by the City's recommendations and planning reviews.

Similar community input and environmental reviews are a factor in every major project, including Apple's new Campus 2 headquarters, which took nearly a year of public process to gain approval.

Apple recently secured final permits for both projects, and plans to begin construction of both this year. Last Friday, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook reiterated that the company expects to complete and occupy its new Campus 2 facility by 2016.
post #2 of 51

Bahahahaha!!!!

post #3 of 51
Hihihi so much hype for nothing. The perfect word to use here is FAIL.
post #4 of 51
Permits? What permits? We're Google, we don't need no stinking permits.
post #5 of 51
Tsk. Tsk. Imagine that. Google not thinking they have to play by the same rules everyone else has to play by.
post #6 of 51
Google announced several days ago that they were moving across the bay to finish it. That's an advantage of being mobile 1wink.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #7 of 51
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The floating project appeared aimed to skirting environmental review and public planning procedures, regulations that can add significant cost or delay. 

 

Google's planning process: Regulations, schmegulations.  Just put it out there, and if we get sued we'll deal with it later.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #8 of 51

Google is working under the the old staying, Do not ask permission just bet forgiveness later.

 

We already know Google glasses are failure so that can not be reason to spend so much money to kick of glasses.

post #9 of 51
Barge Party this week, dudes! Partying all the way to Stockton!
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

 

Google's planning process: Regulations, schmegulations.  Just put it out there, and if we get sued we'll deal with it later.

Google and Samsung seem to both share the same code of ethics. :)

post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The project was originally described by Google as being a "temporary technology exhibit space."

Just like Google Glass!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #12 of 51
I'm sure the Feds will jump in and prevent this. The NSA must be salivating at the idea of having direct access to Google Glass to further extend their spying efforts.
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google announced several days ago that they were moving across the bay to finish it. That's an advantage of being mobile 1wink.gif

Do you ever get dizzy from all that spin?
post #14 of 51
Results of Google search:

"hubris":

1. excessive pride or self-confidence

2. (in Greek tragedy) excessive pride toward or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google has been ordered to stop construction of its floating retail barge and tow the structure 80 miles east, out of the San Francisco Bay Area to the Port of Stockton in Central California after failing to obtain the proper building permits.

the state ordered that construction be stopped and that the barge be moved or face penalties. the state did not order the barge to be towed to stockton, just that it be moved.

... and, according to other more reliable reports not written by ded, the city of stockton has received no request for the barge to be berthed there. and you need permission to do that. so google does not yet have the permits for stockton, either.

great photos by the way: "(above, with the University of California, Berkeley in the background)". you can *almost* see the barge. and cannot at all distinguish ucb in the background, nor any of the other zillion structures; and where was the aerial shot taken -- the one marked "appleinsider" with the compass on it? cuz unless you rented an airmobile to capture it i think you owe someone a credit rather than slapping an appleinsider moniker on it.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #16 of 51
Google may have been bending a few rules, we can't have that!

Now the state will need to pay for unemployment payments to the workers for a few weeks or even more as well as not collecting taxes on wages during that time. Then the sales tax revenue from the store finally opening will be delayed by a similar or longer period of time. Way to go!

Google will now have to weigh if for the next big project if they should just build it overseas (Mexico or many other places) and just float it finished to the area. After all not only are the workers less money but the chance of randomly being stopped are less as well.
post #17 of 51

A company the size of Google is building huge structures without proper permits?

Who is the clown in charge of this construction for Google?

What a joke...

post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Google may have been bending a few rules, we can't have that!
 

Yeah, they should have said it was an indian casino. It would have been approved lickety-split.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
 

A company the size of Google is building huge structures without proper permits?

Who is the clown in charge of this construction for Google?

What a joke...

This is what happens when you hire a bunch of 20'somethings who have never dealt with the real world. This also like an example of instead of Google admitting they screwed up, they trying to avoid the situation altogether now.


Edited by Maestro64 - 3/3/14 at 2:45pm
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Google may have been bending a few rules, we can't have that!

Now the state will need to pay for unemployment payments to the workers for a few weeks or even more as well as not collecting taxes on wages during that time. Then the sales tax revenue from the store finally opening will be delayed by a similar or longer period of time. Way to go!

Google will now have to weigh if for the next big project if they should just build it overseas (Mexico or many other places) and just float it finished to the area. After all not only are the workers less money but the chance of randomly being stopped are less as well.

of course, regulations, maritime or otherwise, building codes, they should all be bendable. In fact, why even have them. There are a few countries in the world that have almost none of these stupid rules, and perhaps we should use them as an example, nay, use them as a goal. If it were not for the se dumb regulations, I would be able to build a much bigger dock for my boat, screw the neighbors and there petty needs.

post #21 of 51
Google: Do no evil (unless we can get away with it)

Still this is obviously bad news for Apple.
post #22 of 51
careful guys, we all know Google is housing an army of their monster robot dogs in that barge. Let's not be too quick to anger Google, lest they release their robotic dog army on us.
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post
 

of course, regulations, maritime or otherwise, building codes, they should all be bendable. In fact, why even have them. There are a few countries in the world that have almost none of these stupid rules, and perhaps we should use them as an example, nay, use them as a goal. If it were not for the se dumb regulations, I would be able to build a much bigger dock for my boat, screw the neighbors and there petty needs.

There was no evidence of them not complying with maritime regulations.  It appears the docking permit is the main thing.  Building what they were doing would not have needed a ground building permit, zoning or many other things that are needed on land. 

 

Again, the best move is to build it elsewhere and legally bring it in and bring none of the other benefits to the area of the construction happening locally.  Protip - Those benefits are huge and far outweigh the paperwork snafu.

post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post
 

of course, regulations, maritime or otherwise, building codes, they should all be bendable. In fact, why even have them. There are a few countries in the world that have almost none of these stupid rules, and perhaps we should use them as an example, nay, use them as a goal. If it were not for the se dumb regulations, I would be able to build a much bigger dock for my boat, screw the neighbors and there petty needs.

 

I want to build a damned forty five foot fence around my block, f*ck the neighbours, f*ck the council.

 

So if not Stockton, which I assume is the closest port OUT OF the bay, then where?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #25 of 51
They should have googled what permits they needed
post #26 of 51
It would be a horrible shame if this ugly pile of floating shit were to burn completely down to water level. A horrible shame.

Question: Are there any decent mobsters living in SF who like the view of the Bay just the way it is?
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGizmo View Post

It would be a horrible shame if this ugly pile of floating shit were to burn completely down to water level. A horrible shame.

Question: Are there any decent mobsters living in SF who like the view of the Bay just the way it is?

 

It's probably a floating brothel. The mob will be supplying the prostitutes. The 1% don't follow our rules. This order is probably just a save face move for the local government. They're all in it together. Does no one recall the early days of Google when they got into fights over what water bed to put into their private jet?

post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

They should have googled what permits they needed

Probably did, but could not discern the appropriate info from the GooglePlay store, Google+, Google handouts, ads, ...
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Permits? What permits? We're Google, we don't need no stinking permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

Tsk. Tsk. Imagine that. Google not thinking they have to play by the same rules everyone else has to play by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Google is working under the the old staying, Do not ask permission just bet forgiveness later.

We already know Google glasses are failure so that can not be reason to spend so much money to kick of glasses.

Isn't this the exact approach they used for Google Music initially? There were rumors of what became iTunes Match. Then, all of a sudden Google had the exact offering they though Apple was going to release, have it away "free" at first, THEN asked the record companies permission?
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Google may have been bending a few rules, we can't have that!

Now the state will need to pay for unemployment payments to the workers for a few weeks or even more as well as not collecting taxes on wages during that time. Then the sales tax revenue from the store finally opening will be delayed by a similar or longer period of time. Way to go!

Google will now have to weigh if for the next big project if they should just build it overseas (Mexico or many other places) and just float it finished to the area. After all not only are the workers less money but the chance of randomly being stopped are less as well.

I was waiting for the first 'free lunch' Libertarian to chime in blaming government. 
Hey... how about Google just work with the rules? Get permits then start building. Or do we just say the SF Bay is a no man's land for anyone to just build crap on as they see fit?

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post
 

There was no evidence of them not complying with maritime regulations.  It appears the docking permit is the main thing.  Building what they were doing would not have needed a ground building permit, zoning or many other things that are needed on land. 

 

Again, the best move is to build it elsewhere and legally bring it in and bring none of the other benefits to the area of the construction happening locally.  Protip - Those benefits are huge and far outweigh the paperwork snafu.

Yeah, the key word is LEGALLY. Something Google is only vaguely familiar with.

post #32 of 51

D'oh!

post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

great photos by the way: "(above, with the University of California, Berkeley in the background)". you can *almost* see the barge. and cannot at all distinguish ucb in the background, nor any of the other zillion structures; and where was the aerial shot taken -- the one marked "appleinsider" with the compass on it? cuz unless you rented an airmobile to capture it i think you owe someone a credit rather than slapping an appleinsider moniker on it.
Looks like an iPad screenshot from Maps.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #34 of 51
Not a few miles but 80 damn miles. Lol!
Floating barge retail store? You have got to be kidding me!!
post #35 of 51

What an ugly eyesore.

 

I'll say it again:  Google and Samsung have horrible taste

post #36 of 51
Can't believe this eye sore ever had a floating chance! Apple probably said the fountain can stay, but that barge has gotta go! :-)
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

... and, according to other more reliable reports not written by ded, the city of stockton has received no request for the barge to be berthed there. and you need permission to do that. so google does not yet have the permits for stockton, either.

Maybe they figure that Stockton is so bankrupt, they won't be able to afford to legally stop the infestation.
post #38 of 51

They need to add a sculpture to the front of it to get it approved in San Francisco.    Something attractive like this:

 

San%20Francisco%20Fountain-thumb.jpg

post #39 of 51

Too bad that San Francisco Bay and San Pablo Bay are generally shallow, because sticking a couple limpet mines on this sucker would only clog shipping channels and make for a marine navigation hazard.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by willizen View Post

careful guys, we all know Google is housing an army of their monster robot dogs in that barge. Let's not be too quick to anger Google, lest they release their robotic dog army on us.


Those are robot dogs with android killer bees in their mouth.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google's mystery barge ordered to stop construction work, leave San Francisco bay
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's mystery barge ordered to stop construction work, leave San Francisco bay