or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside the tech behind CarPlay, Apple's new in-vehicle infotainment system

Inside the tech behind CarPlay, Apple's new in-vehicle infotainment system - Page 2

post #41 of 50

Thank you, Mr. Cole, for introducing me to 'onomastic.' And thank you, Apple, for making it so easy to look up words.

I thought I read onanistic initially.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #42 of 50
My only issue with Apple's CarPlay is the black space on the screen. The icons should automatically adjust in size and placing depending on how many icons there are in the screen in order to reduce that black area.
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

My only issue with Apple's CarPlay is the black space on the screen. The icons should automatically adjust in size and placing depending on how many icons there are in the screen in order to reduce that black area.

That is a fair observation, but the thing I would add to that is that since it is completely software based, it would be easier for Apple to update if usability shows it to make sense, whereas manufacturers are slow as all heck to do anything in the infotainment space. Look at Ferrari...resistive screen in 2014 in a car that expensive? Maybe they thought it would help with being more deliberate with presses, but who knows.

post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedekPRO View Post

Nope. But better use of spacial positioning and more intelligent choices of color would be a start.

What I'm trying to say, is, a car interior requires a little more thought than has been put into iOS design.

There are a couple things to take into consideration.

First off is visual memory and clarity. There is a one to one correlation between what you see on your phone and dash. That makes it much easier to know what feature you will be accessing at a glance. I will agree though that the icon colors are a bit jarring in some of the dashes. The actually interfaces aren't.

Secondly, this is a 1.0 product. Sure iOS has been around for awhile, but this specific use is completely new. I'm sure that with time and feedback, they will refine it. Apple would be faster to update it than any manufacturers update their own systems.

post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

I disagree. I would think ample space between icons is required for a jittery hand while driving to accurately touch the intended app. Uniformity is more pleasing to look at. I don't want to see a few large icons screaming at me, nor do I want to see a whole bunch of tiny ones cluttering the screen.  I think colorful, tasteful looking icons look quite elegant on a black field.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I disagree. I would think ample space between icons is required for a jittery hand while driving to accurately touch the intended app. Uniformity is more pleasing to look at. I don't want to see a few large icons screaming at me, nor do I want to see a whole bunch of tiny ones cluttering the screen.  I think colorful, tasteful looking icons look quite elegant on a black field.

Not just a touch from a jittery hand but a 'no look' one.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

Wonder when Ford's going to drop Microsoft's notoriously buggy SYNC for CarPlay.

They can't. CarPlay isn't designed to run a car. But CarPlay can run over sync, which is. Just as it runs over QNX. But Sync is buggy, and causes problems. Drivers don't like the UI either.
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They can't. CarPlay isn't designed to run a car. But CarPlay can run over sync, which is. Just as it runs over QNX. But Sync is buggy, and causes problems. Drivers don't like the UI either.

Ford is also fully dropping Sync as well. They are going with a QNX based system. If stories hold true and CarPlay is working with QNX, we could see CarPlay in Fords

post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by foad View Post

Ford is also fully dropping Sync as well. They are going with a QNX based system. If stories hold true and CarPlay is working with QNX, we could see CarPlay in Fords

First a Benz, now a Ford. How many cars do you have man? lol.gif
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

First a Benz, now a Ford. How many cars do you have man? lol.gif

HAHAHA! I only have my one car, but I follow the car industry. My two vices in life are tech and cars...and when they collide....man! I have been waiting for the big tech companies to get more involved with automakers, especially in the infotainment space. A lot of these big automakers are slow to do anything and the things they do don't make sense. Now with Apple and Google getting in the game, we might see some better developments.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Inside the tech behind CarPlay, Apple's new in-vehicle infotainment system
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside the tech behind CarPlay, Apple's new in-vehicle infotainment system