or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013 - Page 2

post #41 of 159
Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.
post #42 of 159

macbook air, mac mini, Ipad mini, 3rd gen Ipad... I don't think so jungy.. I'm still waiting for the iwatch let alone a big iPad or iPhone..

post #43 of 159
I travel a great deal and have seldom seen an Android tablet in use. Kindle book readers, yes, Android tablets no. Simply go into a Costco and see the absolute absence of buyers around the Samsung land other tablets. Since Costco has a large TV agreement with Samsung they carry their tablets, but according to the folks working at Costco, few tablets are actually sold. These numbers a are bogus.
post #44 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.

 

I guess you didn't read the last quarterly report.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #45 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.

Boy, more coming crawling out of the woodwork..... Relentless.

post #46 of 159

I have seen exactly one tablet that was neither an iPad nor a Kindle. A photographer had brought his portfolio on a no-name cheap Android tablet to interview for a position I had open. The only thing I could think the entire time was how terrible the screen quality was compared to an iPad. I tried to be sympathetic to the fact that maybe he couldn't afford anything better, but the presentation of his work was so unflattering on the cheap tablet it was hard not to be distracted by that fact. I should note that I have similar reactions when people come in with poorly printed physical portfolios as well--or cheap fitting suits for that matter. Let's face it, when you are going for a job interview you should borrow the money if necessary to make  good presentation.

post #47 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelock View Post
 

I have seen exactly one tablet that was neither an iPad nor a Kindle. A photographer had brought his portfolio on a no-name cheap Android tablet to interview for a position I had open. The only thing I could think the entire time was how terrible the screen quality was compared to an iPad. I tried to be sympathetic to the fact that maybe he couldn't afford anything better, but the presentation of his work was so unflattering on the cheap tablet it was hard not to be distracted by that fact. I should note that I have similar reactions when people come in with poorly printed physical portfolios as well--or cheap fitting suits for that matter. Let's face it, when you are going for a job interview you should borrow the money if necessary to make  good presentation.

 

It's strange that a photographer would put his work on an Android tablet. From comments that I've heard from owners, Android seems to have a problem when it comes to storing and retrieving photos.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #48 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

It's strange that a photographer would put his work on an Android tablet. From comments that I've heard from owners, Android seems to have a problem when it comes to storing and retrieving photos.

 

That would come down to user errors.  Android has no problems storing and/or retrieving photos.  In fact, Android is pretty compatible with anything you throw at it.  The only thing I've had problems connecting an Android device to was an iMac.  It turns out there are 3rd party solutions to connect the two but I didn't know about them at the time.  That was some time ago so it's possible that those solutions aren't even necessary anymore.

post #49 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpdave View Post

I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them
here we go - a new troll on the scene...
post #50 of 159
Quote:
End users

 

There you have it!

post #51 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

That would come down to user errors.  Android has no problems storing and/or retrieving photos.  In fact, Android is pretty compatible with anything you throw at it.  The only thing I've had problems connecting an Android device to was an iMac.  It turns out there are 3rd party solutions to connect the two but I didn't know about them at the time.  That was some time ago so it's possible that those solutions aren't even necessary anymore.

 

To say that "user error" is responsible says a lot. I had originally put the words "intuition problem" in my comment but removed them. I wish now that I had left them in place.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #52 of 159
While doing some changes to my phone account at Sprint, they offered me a FREE samsung tablet, I just had to pay for the data plan with a 2 year contract. I said NO, NO, NO, NO, but thanks.

Thats how samsung is moving their tablets, for free with 2 year commitment,!!!!
post #53 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpdave View Post

I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them

 

Yeah, you're full of it. You could have modified the astroturfer guide-template just a tad. Would have been  a bit more believable. Let's see:

 

1. "I'm the biggest Apple fan"- check. 

2. "I gotta say I love Samsung Product X"- check. 

3. "Better than iOS Product X in every way" -check.

4. Insert mild compliment to Apple to make post more believable- check. 

5. "My next product will be Samsung product X"- check. 

6. Mention multi-tasking. -check. 

7. "Apple better get their shit together or its game-over"-check.

 

Got em all in a couple lines. Pathetic. How much did you get paid for that post? Why is it that even paid celebrities who are given insane amounts of money to use Samsung devices refuse to do so? And yeah, Apple is smashing sales and profit records every year, I hope it keeps going "worse for them" as you say. They're in such a dreadful situation with that $1,700,000,000 in the bank. 

post #54 of 159

Wow, I thought Gartner was moderately accurate. The fact that they ignored Apple's reported sales figures suggests that Gartner is no longer a trusted source. I would have believed that Android is surging, probably it is, but clearly we can't get an accurate picture about the market by looking at anything Gartner has to say going forward. 4 million units, wow.

 

Can we get some more reliable metrics posted please so we can get an actual picture of the emerging market?  Thanks.

post #55 of 159
More sh!t from the anal-cysts.
post #56 of 159
I work at a large hospital in Los Angeles, where I used to see only iPads, I'm now seeing a mix of other tablets, but it's literally taken years for this to happen.

Today, I saw perhaps 20 iPads, and a handful of cheap Android tablets, 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10", and IIRC, 3 Kindle's (e-readers, not the forked Android tablets)
post #57 of 159

Dave, if you're living a sheltered life, then so am I. Have never seen an Android tablet in the wild either. They're just not there. I'm convinced that Samsung is shipping all their tablets, phablets, and phones to a huge warehouse in the middle of a desert just so they can technically report more shipments than Apple reports sales. In my area, iPhones outnumber Sammy's by at least 12 to 1. It would be great if the SEC could investigate all the shady journalism..it seems as if Gartner is in Samsung's back pocket.

post #58 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by xflare View Post

This analysis and report is up at Android Central with the usual Apple is doomed slant.

 

I saw the article and it's no more than 10% as slanted as any AI article in the opposite direction.  Stop pot stirring.

post #59 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If the 70 millions is the number they came up with there way to finding sales and the real number is 74 millions, then that means they are right on with other devices...

I don't see nexus tablets up there, so they are in the "other" category, which could mean a good chunck of sales are Nexus.  

Apple is losing on unit ships or market shares on both phones and tablets... , I don't see how denying it is helping in anything...

They are made by ASUS.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #60 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

A couple years ago, a co-worker approached me to troubleshoot his "iPad".  It would not connect to our WiFi network.  Well, in under a second, I realized it was not an iPad, but a bonafide $50 chinese knock-off tablet.

This is where the bulk of Android "sales" are coming from.  I never see anyone at the Samsung Kiosks at Best Buy and Costco buying those things.  It's always a ghost-town in that area.  It's the $50 knockoff-crap the Chinese factories are peddling.

Yeah, they reported 3 million off-label tablets in 2012 in China per month (36m per year), it could easily have scaled up to 60 million in 2013:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403060,00.asp

That may also explain why so many tablets are not registering in ad networks for usage.

In the US, Apple dominates the sales by about 2:1:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/report-apples-ipad-has-dominated-us-tablet-sales-in-2013

Android tablets have a high growth rate but that's to be expected as most people at the premium price point already have an iPad.
post #61 of 159
I, too, never see android tablets in the wild. I have a sister and brother in law who prefer android, because no reason, literally. My brother in law just decided to be an android person and dislike apple - it was really funny. Not to be offensive, but it's probably best he's on androids side. Anyways, my sister doesn't care too much, and bought an ipad. Now he's bought one. But he wants to say he likes android better so he bought two cheap android tablets. I have actually never seen him use either one, one time. She's never used them. They're always playing games on the iPad, and she makes posters with it. I couldn't even tell you what the other tablets look like.

My dad wanted to buy an android tablet because he's trying to save money. I advised him to get an iPad anyway, but he bought a $40 android tablet. When it came in the mail, the screen looked like it was made from a ziplock bag. Anyways, he didn't use it more than a few minutes, total. He ordered a $70 android tablet, came in the mail, he never used it more than a few minutes. Hated to see the money go down the drain. I wouldn't be too surprised if this story is common.
post #62 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

To say that "user error" is responsible says a lot. I had originally put the words "intuition problem" in my comment but removed them. I wish now that I had left them in place.

 

Yeah, I have an aunt with "intuition problems."  I tried to talk her into an iPad but she wouldn't listen.  She brought me her Android tablet one day because she couldn't get on the Internet anymore.  I looked at her main home screen and there was the icon clear as day.  "Oooooh, it's called browser!" was her response...

post #63 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

I dunno. I could very well be living a very sheltered existence where I am, but, I've only ever seen iPads and Kindles (the original and Paperwhite - not the Fire versions.) I've never seen an Android tablet "in the wild" - i.e., not for sale on a shelf, but actually being used by someone. Same for a Surface - I've seen one for sale in Staples, but have never seen one that has been purchased.

Yeah, it's not right to extrapolate my personal observations to the rest of the market; I just find it odd that I haven't seen anyone using one of the kabillions of Android tablets that're supposed to be running around out there.
Same here.
Once in a while you see someone with some stupid looking phablet to their head, but pretty much everyone out here uses iPhones, and if they have a tablet, iPad.

Considering that Microsoft, Samsung and Apple all have their stores in the same mall, you'd think I'd see more of them. Microsoft has this nice big free-wifi Xbox One kiosk outside Target, while the majority of their store seems to be decorated in Xbox One marketing, same copycat store feely type as Apple. Apple is Apple and every product is showcased. Samsung's store is a little weird, as they flog their electronics (eg TV's) but nothing large enough that someone could walk out of the store with it. Same design as Apple.

In fact the weird thing is, both Microsoft and Samsung are blatantly copying the look and feel of the Apple store, but are only having limited success in sales. You'd be forgiven if you thought the Microsoft store was just an Xbox One store. Even when I went inside Target, I saw the PS4 and the Wii U section and failed to notice the Xbox One, if it was even there.

The point is that anyone who operates a website can tell you, in very clear numbers that next to nobody is using an Android device in any significant amount, and pretty much nobody is using the cheap devices.


Apple (54.58%)
Samsung (18.01%)
Everyone else has single digits.

That is a far cry from what we see reported in the media.
post #64 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.
Why? They already have most of the profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Wow, I thought Gartner was moderately accurate. The fact that they ignored Apple's reported sales figures suggests that Gartner is no longer a trusted source. I would have believed that Android is surging, probably it is, but clearly we can't get an accurate picture about the market by looking at anything Gartner has to say going forward. 4 million units, wow.

Can we get some more reliable metrics posted please so we can get an actual picture of the emerging market?  Thanks.
It's possible the Apple sales numbers were released to late for inclusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpdave View Post

I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them
No Apple fan calls themselves an "Apple fan boy" unless they aren't and then, if they preferred something else, they wouldn't be. I doubt you were once an Apple fan at all.
post #65 of 159

Can’t Apple sue Gartner for misrepresentation and damages to image and name?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #66 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

So which tablet took nearly all of the profits last year?

Which OS brought in a larger dollar amount of purchases (for apps, games, or movies?)
Which tablet is overwhelmingly used by enterprise?

Which tablet is overwhelmingly used by education?

Which table is overwhelmingly used to surf and shop the internet?

Which table is the ONLY tablet approved by the GSA for government purchase?

Which tablet can be warranteed for three years?

Which tablet is automatically synced with iPhones, iPod Touches, and desktop computers?
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #67 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can’t Apple sue Gartner for misrepresentation and damages to image and name?

In the United States it is not a crime to be stupid or Consumer Reports would have been sued out of existence 40+ years ago.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #68 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post


It's possible the Apple sales numbers were released to late for inclusion.
Apple released the Dec numbers in January. Is it too hard for Gartner to update their Excel file?

I want Gartner to expand this "other" category.
post #69 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I, too, never see android tablets in the wild. I have a sister and brother in law who prefer android, because no reason, literally. My brother in law just decided to be an android person and dislike apple - it was really funny. Not to be offensive, but it's probably best he's on androids side. Anyways, my sister doesn't care too much, and bought an ipad. Now he's bought one. But he wants to say he likes android better so he bought two cheap android tablets. I have actually never seen him use either one, one time. She's never used them. They're always playing games on the iPad, and she makes posters with it. I couldn't even tell you what the other tablets look like.

My dad wanted to buy an android tablet because he's trying to save money. I advised him to get an iPad anyway, but he bought a $40 android tablet. When it came in the mail, the screen looked like it was made from a ziplock bag. Anyways, he didn't use it more than a few minutes, total. He ordered a $70 android tablet, came in the mail, he never used it more than a few minutes. Hated to see the money go down the drain. I wouldn't be too surprised if this story is common.

If you want to see a ton of Android tablets, go to garage sales in the spring. Never used and many still in the plastic-wrapped box with bits of christmas paper still attached. Be sure to look for them in the box with VCR and 8-track tapes.

Cheap-assed no-name tablets make good Christmas gifts from cheap-assed relatives to a kid they hardly care about. Once the kid sees it's not an iPad he has a fit and tosses the tablet back under the tree. Most adults that get a brand-x tablet don't know the difference and will take it out of the box and try to use it. You can't fool a kid over four-years-old.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #70 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by teongo View Post

As a user of the third iPad i don't care about their research. As an investor of aapl for the past 14 years, i really don't care about those idiots.

Yes, but as an Apple investor you should. Those idiots are trying to undermine your investment, by putting out the false impression that iPad sales are falling. Major news sources pick up their headlines. 

post #71 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


In the United States it is not a crime to be stupid or Consumer Reports would have been sued out of existence 40+ years ago.

No, but it is libelous to report numbers you know are not true if the numbers damage Apple's reputation. 

post #72 of 159
Where are all these Android tablets? The only place I ever see them is in stores like Best Buy. I was in a board meeting last week with 12 other directors around the table. There were 11 iPads and 2 Mac Airs. No other tablets and no PCs at all.

I really never see Android tablets around the university where I teach.
post #73 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

 

So some $50 POS Android tablet means Apple is doomed? Take your popcorn and... well, you know.

 

You're still trying to reason with Patpatpat? I gave up a long time ago.

post #74 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

I pity the fools who buy the tripe that firms like Gartner put out.

 

Wall Street Hedge Funds, Ad companies.

post #75 of 159

Here's my take on it.  I'm going to assume these numbers are more or less right (yes, I know the iPad number is slightly off) because I don't have evidence to the contrary.  I think the reason you might see more iPads in public is twofold:

 

1.  There is not a compelling reason to buy a large Android tablet.  The app ecosystem isn't complete yet like it is on the iPad.  The only Android tablets that currently make sense are in the 7" to 8" class.

2.  Since Android users are more likely than iPhone users to own an Android tablet and since the average Android phone is so large, Android users won't feel compelled to take their (likely small) Android tablets with them on the way out the door.  If I had a 5" phone, I wouldn't see a reason to carry around an extra device.  My phone would be sufficient for media consumption and internet browsing on the go.

post #76 of 159
I am in long,. I am more worry about what aapl will do, not aapl did!
post #77 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Where are all these Android tablets? The only place I ever see them is in stores like Best Buy. I was in a board meeting last week with 12 other directors around the table. There were 11 iPads and 2 Mac Airs. No other tablets and no PCs at all.

I really never see Android tablets around the university where I teach.

I never see anything other than iPads either. But I'm in the US.

We're forgetting about the sheer volume of tablets in the rest of the world.

For instance... look at the chart in this article. 60 million "other" tablets sold in 2013. Those are mostly cheap, no-name Android tablets that we've never heard of. They give Android tablets a huge worldwide market share number... but I'm not actually seeing anything good coming from that.

The same thing happens with smartphones too. On tech websites... we only ever talk about a handful Android phones: Galaxy S, Note, LG something, HTC One and Moto X/G

But Android's smartphone market share is mostly made up of cheap garbage phones sold around the world. So when people say "ZOMG Android 80% market share!!!" I just shake my head. There's nothing gained from those.... other than the headline "Android dominates smartphone market share"

Don't worry though... a $50 Android tablet or Android phone sold in a developing nation isn't taking a sale away from an iPad or iPhone. Apple shouldn't be worried... they sell more than enough iPads and iPhones to exactly the right customers. And they're selling more every year... attracting more developers and accessory makers to grow the iOS ecosystem even further.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Android market share makes a great headline... but there's no compelling story after that.
post #78 of 159

It would be interesting to see how their figures change if Samsung switches to Tizen.  Will that white box Android figure mysteriously drop, giving Tizen the lead?

post #79 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.

 

...maybe something like 64bit?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #80 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
 

Here's my take on it.  I'm going to assume these numbers are more or less right (yes, I know the iPad number is slightly off) because I don't have evidence to the contrary.  I think the reason you might see more iPads in public is twofold:

 

1.  There is not a compelling reason to buy a large Android tablet.  The app ecosystem isn't complete yet like it is on the iPad.  The only Android tablets that currently make sense are in the 7" to 8" class.

2.  Since Android users are more likely than iPhone users to own an Android tablet and since the average Android phone is so large, Android users won't feel compelled to take their (likely small) Android tablets with them on the way out the door.  If I had a 5" phone, I wouldn't see a reason to carry around an extra device.  My phone would be sufficient for media consumption and internet browsing on the go.

 

Except the majority of Android phones sold have small screens and are cheap, this can easily be seen by the pitiful amounts of money Android vendors make and the absence of high end large screened phones using the web.

 

The vast majority of Android users don't have 5" phones.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013