or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer

Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer - Page 2

post #41 of 93
I find this video incredibly annoying and difficult to watch.

post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Actually I've read that CarPlay runs on (is powered by) QNX.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-carplay-powered-by-blackberry-qnx-04-03-2014/

my point is, CarPlay will likely run on top of any kind of underlying generic OS with the necessary adaptations for it. QNX, Linux, whatever. the carmarker will determine what Nav system OS they want to use. i suppose there are various ones in use now.

post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Well, the passenger can still do all of that either with the plugged in iPhone or a mobile iPad from home.

The only potential issue I see that the driver may forget to take their phone with them when they leave the car, and this is where the iWatch will come in handy to remind you to take the phone when it loses Bluetooth LE connectivity.  I think CarPlay is just the beginning of something much bigger.

you must not be married. she runs everything from the passenger seat.

sure, iWatch will be another Apple ecosystem extender device. that's what this is all about.

post #44 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3) I'd like to assume this "partnership" doesn't exclude OAA but since we're talking about a partnership to QNX and not to a specific automaker I think it's more likely Apple would be able to get exclusivity for a couple years.

While Google is listed as a QNX partner some of those automakers in the OAA are not. Perhaps that's the reason for that alliance, they don't already use QNX and need an alternative. You may be on to something.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #45 of 93

His point still stands since that came about after Apple announced the CarPlay nee iOS in the Car.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #46 of 93
Ferrari as an iPhone accessory! Can we get them in matching colours?

Seriously though... the interface still needs work. Doesn't seem like a minimalist interface in most Apple products. I'm surprised this may be legal because it may take eyes off the road for too long.

What about gestures? This is a step backwards to click on a scroll bar to go up and down.
post #47 of 93
Quote:

His point still stands since that came about after Apple announced the CarPlay nee iOS in the Car.
Quote:

That would assume Google hadn't been working on Android integration at the same time as Apple, perhaps even planning to backbone on QNX like they have and may still for some automakers.

And Apple announced their automotive initiative after Google's own automotive OS development became public. 1wink.gif
post #48 of 93
I'd love to see Waze as an included app. Wave is crowd sourced traffic info app.
post #49 of 93
Originally Posted by iBog View Post
Ferrari as an iPhone accessory! Can we get them in matching colours?

Product (red) Ferrari? That’d work.

post #50 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That would assume Google hadn't been working on Android integration at the same time as Apple, perhaps even planning to backbone on QNX like they have and may still for some automakers.

And Apple announced their automotive initiative after Google's own automotive OS development became public. 1wink.gif

1) Apple announced iOS in the Car close to a year ago at WWDC on June 10th, 2013.

2) His point still stands. He didn't state that Google would start working on their own implementation but that they'd announce it after Apple. Do you have any evidence to show Google announced the OAA before June 10th, 2013?

3) While it's unusual for Apple to announce a project so far in advance (even though they do have a history of doing so when the project requires multiple 3rd-parties to come on board), Google et al. have the corporation version of Tourette's syndrome announcing something pretty much immediately without any sort of filter.

post #51 of 93
Quote:

4) Are all of these screens the same aspect ratio? 4:3? If not how many different UIs is Apple making? Does their CarPlay system require a certain aspect ratio? What about resolution or sizes? There is surely some leeway in size for a given UI but resolution could easily change wildly between manufactures. Is Apple using Resolution Independence here? It's plugged in so power isn't an issue.

It doesn't matter what the aspect ratio is, since iOS 6 and the use of Apple's new layout system, the screen size shouldn't matter if you design and develop your apps properly. The only time you really want to make big changes to your layout is when there's a substantial increase in screen size, such as your app moving from iPhone to iPad. But that's already taken care of with storyboards.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #52 of 93
Quote:

1) Apple announced iOS in the Car close to a year ago at WWDC on June 10th, 2013.

2) His point still stands. He didn't state that Google would start working on their own implementation but that they'd announce it after Apple. Do you have any evidence to show Google announced the OAA before June 10th, 2013?
Yeah I remember when it was announced. Seems I recall a couple of commenters at the time saying it was Apple's answer to Google's automotive interest, that it would be the next great battleground or something to that effect. But then of course there was an iPod dock in cars before Google started working on a car, so Apple was first again. You win.

Something that I began thinking about yesterday tho that I'd love your comment on. How does the automotive money flow back to Apple and Google from this? Apple's not selling any hardware to CarPlay and I doubt it will drive a significant share of new iPhone sales because you can use it in your car.. Putting Google-placed ads ion the dashboard won't be well-received and probably wouldn't be permitted anyway as it would add to driver distraction. So where's the money?
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/4/14 at 10:40am
post #53 of 93
Quote:

Yeah I remember when it was announced. Seems I recall a coup[le of commenters at the time saying it was Apple's answer to Google's automotive interest.

What automative interest is that? I'm under the impression that the OAA is their first attempt at this market.

Quote:
You win.
Cool it!

post #54 of 93
Quote:

What automative interest is that? I'm under the impression that the OAA is their first attempt at this market.
Cool it!

Self-navigating cars. And sorry if you mistook the "you win" for being dismissive. It was simply a joking way of telling you it didn't really matter, to me at least, who was perceived as first in the car. I'm claiming shotgun anyway. 1wink.gif

My original answer to OP was quite appropriate since he obviously was unaware that Google had already announced their intentions months ago.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/4/14 at 10:52am
post #55 of 93
Quote:

Self-navigating cars. And sorry if you mistook the "you win" for being dismissive. It was simply a joking way of telling you it didn't really matter, to me at least, who was perceived as first in the car. I'm claiming shotgun anyway. 1wink.gif

1) That's a very different project which is why I didn't consider it. It's a cool project that shows a lot of promise and Google seems to have made a lot of advancements in that area but it's still appears to be a long way off.

2) When self driving cars finally arrive the entire front seat will be shotgun. In fact, by then electric cars will probably be pervasive enough that most cars will no longer have that drive shaft down the center which means most front seats could support 3 comfy seats; perhaps even reviving the single front seat design from the 70's and earlier.

post #56 of 93
Quote:

1) That's a very different project which is why I didn't consider it. It's a cool project that shows a lot of promise and Google seems to have made a lot of advancements in that area but it's still appears to be a long way off.

2) When self driving cars finally arrive the entire front seat will be shotgun. In fact, by then electric cars will probably be pervasive enough that most cars will no longer have that drive shaft down the center which means most front seats could support 3 comfy seats; perhaps even reviving the single front seat design from the 70's and earlier.

That reminds me of one of my first jobs (aviation). I was friends with two other guys at work but only one of us could afford a decent looking car so we figured we'd all ride together and save wear and tear on the other two pitiful vehicles. So we chipped in for gas in a pretty new Ranchero. One bench seat in the front. The guy always picked me up first then Don. My 120lb scrawny butt ended up as the middle filling between two 200+ pounders.

By fall I had a better car, and I rode alone. 1smoking.gif
post #57 of 93
The UI looks fine in its first iteration. I absolutely hate the aesthetics of the Ferrari touch screen & buttons. The unit just screams rushed & cheap and that's a shame for such a beautiful car and media interface. Nonetheless kudos to Ferrari & Apple for this collaboration!
post #58 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Actually I've read that CarPlay runs on (is powered by) QNX.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-carplay-powered-by-blackberry-qnx-04-03-2014/

Before people start to get confused by what this actually means, CarPlay actually runs on your iPhone, it is a built-in system service, just as AirPlay is. Everything that happens on that built-in display is running on the iPhone. The iPhone is just using the cars display instead of its built-in display. CarPlay, like AirPlay is simply a communication protocol that defines how two devices can talk to each other to create a service.

That part of CarPlay that runs on the car's console is basically a driver (middleware) that allows the iPhone to interact with all the hardware on the car's console, this includes, the main display, speakers, microphones, methods of user interaction (touch screen, console knobs/buttons), etc. The car becomes an iPhone peripheral.

Apparently, Apple has decided to start with QNX based-systems first. Although I'm sure if Android becomes ubiquitous, they'll also develop a version for Android.

post #59 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

believe it when i see it.

Actually, Volvo already had a system based on Android, but it sucked and no one bought it. 

It's an Android layer that seats on top of QNX.

It was like a $2000 option on a Volvo and was very limited and clunky.

It is not integrated with a phone at all, it stands alone. 

I think Google will try to improve this but it will still suck.

Here is a demo of the system.

http://youtu.be/64t6kWKTHiM

post #60 of 93
Quote:

my point is, CarPlay will likely run on top of any kind of underlying generic OS with the necessary adaptations for it. QNX, Linux, whatever. the carmarker will determine what Nav system OS they want to use. i suppose there are various ones in use now.

You're correct and why trying to compare Android against iOS in the car is silly and stupid. Apple doesn't want iOS running in your car's console, all they want is integration. Let the car maker have whatever they want built-in, but let the customer have an option to use their iPod or iPhone if they want. It probably doesn't take much for Apple to add this integration, especially if they concentrate on a single embedded OS at first.

I'm guessing the reason most automakers have decided to with QNX is because it's a tried, true and tested embedded OS.

post #61 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Before people start to get confused by what this actually means, CarPlay actually runs on your iPhone, it is a built-in system service, just as AirPlay is. Everything that happens on that built-in display is running on the iPhone. The iPhone is just using the cars display instead of its built-in display. CarPlay, like AirPlay is simply a communication protocol that defines how two devices can talk to each other to create a service.

That part of CarPlay that runs on the car's console is basically a driver (middleware) that allows the iPhone to interact with all the hardware on the car's console, this includes, the main display, speakers, microphones, methods of user interaction (touch screen, console knobs/buttons), etc. The car becomes an iPhone peripheral.

Apparently, Apple has decided to start with QNX based-systems first. Although I'm sure if Android becomes ubiquitous, they'll also develop a version for Android.

Yep that's right, sorry I didn't detail it further I assumed it would be well established by now that the iPhone is the center of the system and CarPlay being AirPlay like. That middleware is QNX, which BTW seems like a good choice to me. (I wouldn't be surprised if Google's in-car entertainment system would be QNX based as well as Google is also a QNX partner).

post #62 of 93
Quote:

oh, wrong. you forget about your passengers, who use the iPad to kill time on longer trips or search for stuff around and about. my wife does this all the time. they can take care of the infotainment system instead of the driver - much safer.

I doubt your wife wants to keep reaching across to the center console to use an iPad when she could have had it right in front of her. Plus, its a big distraction to the driver when someone keeps reaching for something. So no, I don't think its much safer. 

Also, to add something...it would be a disaster getting people to constantly update the iPad in the car when you can just update your phone which would then as part of the update, automatically update CarPlay. No need to keep updating the system inside the car itself. You can take the phone with you and it CarPlay will follow you to whatever car you get into as long as it supports CarPlay. You can't rely on every manufacturer installing an iPad into a car. You would also have issues with the iPad in the car getting old and outdated. Then what will you do? Go to the dealership and ask them to replace the iPad with a newer model?

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #63 of 93
Quote:

So where's the money?

Can't answer regarding Google, but for Apple it's about expanding their platform. Offering more value to their customers, giving them more options. Apple understands their customers probably spend quite a bit of time in their cars, why not make using their devices much easier while doing so? And make using their devices much safer at the same time.

This type of product development may not have any real monetary value at first, but what it does is build customer satisfaction, which in turn grows customer retention numbers.

post #64 of 93

I wish Chrysler would take advantage of this. Their uConnect system is already based off QNX so it would seem to me that it would be an easy transition. I know uConnect is already pretty good, but it would be nice to see CarPlay as an option at least, even if its one of the uConnect Access Apps or something like that. 

post #65 of 93
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
In addition to being the automaker's first CarPlay-equipped vehicle, the 651-bhp coupe was also Ferrari's first all-wheel-drive sports car.

Not really a sports car, but more of a grand touring car.  Actually, the Ferrari FF fits neatly into the shooting brake category, which includes 4-seat 2-door cars with hatchbacks.  Kind of like sporty station wagon coupés.  The name shooting brake comes from the earliest days of motoring, from vehicles designed "to take gentlemen on the hunt with their firearms and dogs" (according to the New York Times in 2006.)

A Ferrari FF is featured in the movie "The Counsellor," 2013.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #66 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Quote:

Something that I began thinking about yesterday tho that I'd love your comment on. How does the automotive money flow back to Apple and Google from this? Apple's not selling any hardware to CarPlay and I doubt it will drive a significant share of new iPhone sales because you can use it in your car.. Putting Google-placed ads ion the dashboard won't be well-received and probably wouldn't be permitted anyway as it would add to driver distraction. So where's the money?

Can't answer regarding Google, but for Apple it's about expanding their platform. Offering more value to their customers, giving them more options. Apple understands their customers probably spend quite a bit of time in their cars, why not make using their devices much easier while doing so? And make using their devices much safer at the same time.

This type of product development may not have any real monetary value at first, but what it does is build customer satisfaction, which in turn grows customer retention numbers.

I agree with @mjtomlin. This is about adding value so they can sell more devices and retain customers that have purchased their devices. The CarPlay licensing may even be free, like the mDP port interface, but setup simply so that automakers follow a standard guidelines so customers can be assured that their iDevices will work as expected.

That would be my guess simply because of the number of vendors that are on-board out of the gate but it's possible that they were able to use their position in the market and stats regarding consumer interests regarding Siri Eyes Free that allows them to ask for a lump, and per sale, and/or per annum fee from automakers for using the CarPlay setup and trademark.

Also, there is always the benefit of collecting additional metadata so I would doubt Google will be placing ads on the dash unless their Maps apps has such items so ingrained that they'll show up by default. I don't we'll see ads like, "I see you've recently called AAA while at this gas station and searched for how to retrieve your keys from the car. Why don't you Step into a Slim Jim® while waiting for roadside assistance to unlock your car with a slim jim. Only 99¢ at the checkout counter. They also sell antacids, which you'll need after eating the Slim Jim."

post #67 of 93

I can't imagine a car company would want to limit itself to only one operating system.  Ford should sell to everybody.  Android and iOS should BOTH work in all new Toyotas and Hondas.  Otherwise they risk losing sales.  Why would they want that?

The USA is a big car market, and lots of people use iOS in the US including lots of buyers of upscale cars.

Maybe in Europe they can refuse to offer iOS in the car, since most Europeans don't use iOS.

I did watch some videos of CarPlay.  It seems like just what you can already do with Siri, but with a bigger screen, and fewer options.  

Maybe that's the right approach.

Currently I try to have Siri send texts and such while I'm driving, and usually, I'll just end up pulling over to the side of the road in utter frustration.  

I do like Apple Maps however.  It has great turn-by-turn navigation.  That's my favorite driving app.

I'm just glad Apple is making a stand in the auto space and not ceding it to rivals.

Now they should become a bigger presence in social media and also content creation (a la Netflix and Amazon and Hulu).

post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I can't imagine a car company would want to limit itself to only one operating system.  Ford should sell to everybody.  Android and iOS should BOTH work in all new Toyotas and Hondas.  Otherwise they risk losing sales.  Why would they want that?

One scenario is the car company is getting paid enough money to make it a viable option. I think that's how MS got SYNC in Fords.

post #69 of 93
Quote:

oh, wrong. you forget about your passengers, who use the iPad to kill time on longer trips or search for stuff around and about. my wife does this all the time. they can take care of the infotainment system instead of the driver - much safer.

Wow. Forget CarPlay. I am not sure if I want to be on the road with a driver like you currently if your wife is not present.

post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I guess what I don't get is, does this mean auto makers who implement it will only be able to sell to iPhone owners? I'm sure not, but still not quite clear on the scope of the target audience.
Also, is this an iPhone lock-in then? Once I get this car (like, yeah, sure) if my iPhone dies, amd I without a console until I replace it... with another iPhone?

Still, it still looks better than anything I've seen, including the built-in Tesla console.

Um.. you're stuck with whatever default Ferrari currently offers as its in-dash infotainment system? Did you watch the video that was helpfully linked in one of the posts?

post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Google's was already announced, and I think Audis with it are expected to ship in 2014

I think you're just making up the date. Where did they say 2014?

post #72 of 93
Quote:

Considering Google's proclivity for jumping the gun on product/service announcement way, way, waaaaaaay before they're anywhere close to ready (e.g., Goggle Glass; driverless cars), I doubt that they'd have been working on that for all that long.

We'll wait and see until/if/when (i) There's something to show; (ii) There's something to ship.

post #73 of 93
Quote:

How does the automotive money flow back to Apple and Google from this? 

Ecosystem lock-in.

post #74 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you're just making up the date. Where did they say 2014?

http://www.dailytech.com/CES+2014+Androids+Reach+Expands+as+Google+Audi+Honda+GM+Form+Open+Auto+Alliance/article34050.htm
post #75 of 93

"Open" alliances can either make a project go quickly or slow down to a crawl. The only thing it has going for it is that Apple is paving the way and going them a deadline that needs to be met if they want it to be relevant. Because of this I think they will launch in 2014. Apple has already done the more difficult logistics part of this over the past year (if not sooner with Siri Hands Free and iPod in the Car) so it's mostly up to Google to get Android to interact with and display the in-dash UI properly, which I think is comparatively simple.

post #76 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

To keep an iPad in a car all the time is a waste because you can not use it most of the time.
It's better to plug-in your iPhone in any car and allow others to plug-in their iPhones in your car when needed.

Once your iPhone is plugged in, the car essentially becomes your car; even if it is a rental.
Your contacts, your music & media, your messages, Your phone number, your iCloud data all become available.

The ipad will replace the existing entertainment/nav/climate control/etc controls and buttons that is normally in the center console. It will save the manufacturer a ton of money.
post #77 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I guess what I don't get is, does this mean auto makers who implement it will only be able to sell to iPhone owners? I'm sure not, but still not quite clear on the scope of the target audience.

Nobody said CarPlay was going to be standard factory equipment or available as an optional factory upgrade. The choice to order CarPlay on a car is likely yours.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #78 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

The ipad will replace the existing entertainment/nav/climate control/etc controls and buttons that is normally in the center console. It will save the manufacturer a ton of money.

Probably not going to happen as long as the CarPlay app is on an iOS device. Even if you didn't have a phone, the car still needs to be a fully functioning auto.

CarPlay is mostly redundant to the car's normal functionality. If you don't have CarPlay running then the car's own nav system would be available. Same with the music, and BT phone integration in case you have some phone other than iPhone. CarPlay is just offering a slightly more refined way to use the same kinds of functions that modern luxury cars already provide.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #79 of 93
lol.giflol.giflol.gif
post #80 of 93
Quote:

you must not be married. she runs everything from the passenger seat.

sure, iWatch will be another Apple ecosystem extender device. that's what this is all about.

LOL.  She rules!  She'll definitely like the CarPlay but she is better off her own mobile iPad instead of an integrated one.

Car infotainment screens will not allow playing of videos while the car is in motion.  You can only watch videos from a back seat integrated screen while the car is moving; unless you have a separate iPad. :) 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer