or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer

Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer - Page 3

post #81 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. Forget CarPlay. I am not sure if I want to be on the road with a driver like you currently if your wife is not present.

likewise, i'm sure.

post #82 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

LOL.  She rules!  She'll definitely like the CarPlay but she is better off her own mobile iPad instead of an integrated one.

Car infotainment screens will not allow playing of videos while the car is in motion.  You can only watch videos from a back seat integrated screen while the car is moving; unless you have a separate iPad. :) 

she picks the music and plays slot games.

post #83 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

That screen looked painful to use, scroll bars and arrows to scroll between screens.  Yuck.

And of course no one's going to get killed by physically attending to the screen and scrolling through contacts, songs, playlists, radio stations, etc. while cruising along at 70mph....  ...jeezus...

I won't be surprised if some states don't start regulating or banning systems this distracting...

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #84 of 93

The demo looks very promising.  I like how CarPlay basically integrates with whichever design the car maker chose for its in-dash system.  If the system uses hard buttons that flank the touchscreen, CarPlay will use them.  Presumably, systems that use low mounted joystick controls or touch-only interfaces would operate slightly differently.

I also have some misgivings about scrolling lists for contacts and messages.  But, having a clear way of short cutting alphabetically still works a lot better than trying to scroll those same lists with a docked iPhone in the car.  So far, it seems that Apple has made a lot of the right choices for car use, such as only reading the messages verbally and not displaying them by default. 

Now, why would Apple announce CarPlay now instead of waiting until closer to the actual product launch?  The answer's simple if you follow the auto industry's calendar.  Auto makers announce and display their new models well in advance, and this is the latter part of the major car show season where the manufacturers unveil their models for the upcoming year.  A feature like CarPlay would have been difficult to keep under wraps for long, especially if more of these in-dash systems have something like the "Apple CarPlay" button shown in the Ferrari.  Also, the auto makers want to generate buzz for the upcoming model year, in which the new models typically begin arriving in September and October, but the specs and option lists are locked down much earlier.  Auto makers would obviously want to tout CarPlay if they plan to include the feature with their 2015 models. 

post #85 of 93

I'm digg'n the carplay...but when are Ferrari, Bentley, Aston Martin going to get their head out of their asses and stop building 12 cycl. engines that get 12 miles to the gallon? Sheesh! We're going to have to kill more dinosaurs! :)

post #86 of 93
I am hoping Apple broker a deal whereby I get a Ferrari for $299 and monthly roaming and data plans for the family. 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #87 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm digg'n the carplay...but when are Ferrari, Bentley, Aston Martin going to get their head out of their asses and stop building 12 cycl. engines that get 12 miles to the gallon? Sheesh! We're going to have to kill more dinosaurs! 1smile.gif

Looking at this season's Top Gear the future of super cars and high-end luxury vehicles with plenty of oomph! they will be petrol-electric hybrids.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #88 of 93

Edit.

Edited by christopher126 - 3/5/14 at 6:52am
post #89 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

To keep an iPad in a car all the time is a waste because you can not use it most of the time.

It's better to plug-in your iPhone in any car and allow others to plug-in their iPhones in your car when needed.

Once your iPhone is plugged in, the car essentially becomes your car; even if it is a rental.

Your contacts, your music & media, your messages, Your phone number, your iCloud data all become available.

Yes, but my interpretation of his point was-why not have an iPad permanently fitted? Ie, Apple design integrated hardware. But I guess CarPlay is easier and more flexible for the car manufacturers.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #90 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not that car interfaces have ever been particularly good but I don't think they're improved enough here. The UIs are far too distracting. There was a demo here with a video that has some ideas:

http://mmminimal.com/a-new-car-ui/

but it's not immediately intuitive and would need capacitive touch hardware. Given that it's not Apple making the hardware controls with CarPlay, it's really the responsibility of the car manufacturers to do this. The entire interface should require that you don't take your eyes off the road, except for maps. As soon as you have to focus on a musician's name, track title, icon, home button, you are not focusing on driving - you should be able to feel for the controls without looking. Perhaps this just needs an override to detect when the car is in motion. The iOS device can detect this and change the UI accordingly.

If a track is playing, the display can shut off. Tapping the screen in the middle can play/pause the track and tap-hold to read the track name, tapping right/left for next and previous track, slide or tap up/down for volume.

Some people have complained about the cable connection but I expect the UI is being streamed over the cable, bluetooth might not be fast enough to push the display data over.

Hopefully they will come up with an alternative for people who can't afford a fancy car too:

That would just be the same UI they already have but at least there would be some recognition of this group in their advertising.

For the driver, I feel that the best place for a screen would be right next to the speedometer or in the middle of the steering wheel. Having the screen in the middle of the car is useful when you have a passenger, though. Ideally, there would be both.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #91 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Looking at this season's Top Gear the future of super cars and high-end luxury vehicles with plenty of oomph! they will be petrol-electric hybrids.

Yep, I'm seeing it too, with Audi and the some of the others. F1 going to 6 cycl, etc. :)

I find Jeremy Clarkson a bit boorish, but he did a very nice piece driving an Aston Martin thru the English countryside, lamenting on the dying breed of the big Astons. One of the best pieces! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0Svvdrx_E

I live in Scottsdale, AZ and when someone drives by in a Lamborghini, they really look like a tool. In a Ferrari, not so much! :)

Best.

post #92 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I figured most would be QNX as that seems to be standard but I didn't think Apple would be working directly with QNX but rather with each automaker. This may be why nearly all of them seem to be able to announce the same setup at the same time. IOW, it's an update to the QNX subsystem that they all can implement like updating Darwin in OS X or iOS without touching the rest of the system.

2) I wonder if VW Group's absence is because they don't use QNX.

3) I'd like to assume this "partnership" doesn't exclude OAA but since we're talking about a partnership to QNX and not to a specific automaker I think it's more likely Apple would be able to get exclusivity for a couple years.

I find Volkswagen's absence puzzling.

I tend to think of them as the Apple of cars, not so much because of the quality, but because of the combination of clean lines, simplicity and design. 

They were due to bring out an iBeetle this year; is that still happening?

On the UK App Store, Volkswagen have, hands down, the best app for browsing and configuring their models. No-one else comes close, unless I've missed one. 

So they have shown a willingness in the past to pair with Apple at greater lengths than other makers. Mysterious.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #93 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I find Volkswagen's absence puzzling.

I tend to think of them as the Apple of cars, not so much because of the quality, but because of the combination of clean lines, simplicity and design. 

One could look at their absence as proof they are the Apple of cars since they don't play well with others unless they are ones who are in control. 1biggrin.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer