or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple expected to ship iOS 7.1 'any day now,' will support new iTunes Festival app
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple expected to ship iOS 7.1 'any day now,' will support new iTunes Festival app

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
With the U.S. debut of the iTunes Festival set to kick off next week, Apple will reportedly update its iOS application to support live streaming of the concerts from the SXSW festival -- but not before the iOS 7.1 update is issued to iPhone and iPad owners.

Animation


The well-connected John Gruber of Daring Fireball reported on Tuesday that a "little birdie" told him the new iTunes Festival application will require iOS 7.1 Based on that tip, iOS 7.1 is expected to ship "any day now" to end users.

AppleInsider was also told weeks ago that iOS 7.1 is expected to arrive in March. Ahead of the update's launch, Apple debuted new mass deployment tools last week, making it easier for IT professionals to launch large numbers of iOS devices in enterprise or education settings.

Pre-release versions of iOS 7 have been supplied to developers for testing since last November, making it a particularly lengthy beta period.

Since iOS 7 launched last September, users have expressed frustration with a number of lingering bugs that have yet to be patched. Most notably, users have experienced crashes when using the new multitasking interface, while the Safari browser is also prone to frequent crashes.

To date, there have been five beta releases of iOS 7.1, the most recent arriving in early February. It features new "natural-sounding" Siri voices for international users in the U.K., Australia and Japan.

Separately, AppleInsider was told by sources last week that Apple is preparing a software update that will enhance the functionality of Touch ID, potentially fixing a "fade" issue that has been experienced by some iPhone 5s users. It is unknown whether that update will be a part of iOS 7.1, or if it will arrive independently.
post #2 of 52
Will support iTunes festival app!!!!!!?? Lol.

In other news 7.1 beta 5 still has a few front facing bugs. The virtual space between the date and the first line of a note in Notes keeps growing and shrinking. That bug has been around since beta 2. There's a visual glitch when in Safari in window view when your other devices have no iCloud tabs open. Other stuff too. And I'm still not happy with the speed of all the animations. Some are still too slow. And there's no reason why I should be able to swipe three times across the home screen when going home or unlocking before my pagination interaction registers when I only needed to swipe once in iOS 5 or 6. A significant step backwards when we're unlocking over 100 times a day. Steve wouldn't have put up with it.
Edited by Ireland - 3/4/14 at 11:08am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 52
I am not sure about the rest of you but the ability to run an iTunes festival app that I likely will never install is a rather unimportant detail in regards to a 7.1 update.
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am not sure about the rest of you but the ability to run an iTunes festival app that I likely will never install is a rather unimportant detail in regards to a 7.1 update.

I think the reason it got a mention here is clear in hindsight after reading the piece, but AI should drop that from the article title.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 52
I heard they were waiting to release iOS 7.1 until the fluctuating price of marble rye stabilizes. Purely rumor though.
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Will support iTunes festival app!!!!!!?? Lol.

In other news 7.1 beta 5 still has a few front facing bugs. The virtual space between the date and the first line of a note in Notes keeps growing and shrinking. That bug has been around since beta 2. There's a visual glitch when in Safari in window view when your other devices have no iCloud tabs open. Other stuff too. And I'm still not happy with the speed of all the animations. Some are still too slow. And there's no reason why I should be able to swipe three times across the home screen when going home or unlocking before my pagination interaction registers when I only needed to swipe once in iOS 5 or 6. A significant step backwards when we're unlocking over 100 times a day. Steve wouldn't have put up with it.

C'mon,"Steve wouldn't have put up with it"?

I'm surprised at you, resorting to this empty troll taunt. Be original and blame it on the loss of Scott.

(Four crashes on my iPad mini retina while posting this.)
post #7 of 52
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Pre-release versions of iOS 7 have been supplied to developers for testing since last November, making it a particularly lengthy beta period.

 

Haven't seen many changes at all in 7.1 beta 5 (or so a little birdie tells me.)

At least not on an iPod touch 5th gen.  Apple must be saving all the new stuff for iOS 8.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #8 of 52
Touch ID fade has kept me from using it. Fails more than half the time starting a few days after I enter my fingerprints. Works great for the first few days.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am not sure about the rest of you but the ability to run an iTunes festival app that I likely will never install is a rather unimportant detail in regards to a 7.1 update.

 

Ditto here. An absolutely irrelevant piece of information, and definitely NOT the reason to update.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Touch ID fade has kept me from using it. Fails more than half the time starting a few days after I enter my fingerprints. Works great for the first few days.


return your phone and stop crying because you are too lazy to go to the store.

post #11 of 52
iOS 7 is def the most buggy version of iOS that i've used, then again, as a code base grows and shifts from its original purpose, complexity and baggage grows as do bugs.
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Ditto here. An absolutely irrelevant piece of information, and definitely NOT the reason to update.

You guys are missing the point entirely. iTunes festival starts next week, and if the app requires 7.1 then that means 7.1 has to be ready before then. Understand?
post #13 of 52

Why would he return his phone when it seems to be a software problem?

 

"Separately, AppleInsider was told by sources last week that Apple is preparing a software update that will enhance the functionality of Touch ID, potentially fixing a "fade" issue that has been experienced by some iPhone 5s users."

post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

C'mon,"Steve wouldn't have put up with it"?

I'm surprised at you, resorting to this empty troll taunt. Be original and blame it on the loss of Scott.

(Four crashes on my iPad mini retina while posting this.)

Steve wouldn't put up with it. Nothing trollish about the reality if that statement.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Touch ID fade has kept me from using it. Fails more than half the time starting a few days after I enter my fingerprints. Works great for the first few days.

Ah, tough luck. I hope to God that's purely a software problem.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post


return your phone and stop crying because you are too lazy to go to the store.

Chill, dude.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmanPak View Post

Why would he return his phone when it seems to be a software problem?

"Separately, AppleInsider was told by sources last week that Apple is preparing a software update that will enhance the functionality of Touch ID, potentially fixing a "fade" issue that has been experienced by some iPhone 5s users."

He's probably worth ignoring. Well, at least for that comment.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #18 of 52

What a bitchfest this thread is. Meanwhile hundreds of millions of iOS users are happily going about their daily business without the alleged show stopping bugs claimed here. Why not just dump your Apple gear and be happy? Buy something else that doesn’t cause you to bitch, whine, complain, hand wring, raise your blood pressure, stroke out, and otherwise be unhappy with your Apple gear. As Tallest Skil always says...

 

Go away.

post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmanPak View Post
 

Why would he return his phone when it seems to be a software problem?

 

"Separately, AppleInsider was told by sources last week that Apple is preparing a software update that will enhance the functionality of Touch ID, potentially fixing a "fade" issue that has been experienced by some iPhone 5s users."

 

cause 99.99% of the people using touchID have ZERO problems.

 

he has a defective phone and should return it before its too late.

 

This is like someone grumbling that he has a flat tire but does nothing about it and continues to drive.  Get it fixed.  Apple accrues millions of dollars for warranty repairs for a reason.

post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What a bitchfest this thread is. Meanwhile hundreds of millions of iOS users are happily going about their daily business without the alleged show stopping bugs claimed here. Why not just dump your Apple gear and be happy? Buy something else that doesn’t cause you to bitch, whine, complain, hand wring, raise your blood pressure, stroke out, and otherwise be unhappy with your Apple gear. As Tallest Skil always says...

Go away.
But it's so much more fun for them to whine and throw out buzz words like "flat" and "intuitive". 1biggrin.gif
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 


return your phone and stop crying because you are too lazy to go to the store.

This is real issue, and its software related.

post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

cause 99.99% of the people using touchID have ZERO problems.

 

he has a defective phone and should return it before its too late.

 

This is like someone grumbling that he has a flat tire but does nothing about it and continues to drive.  Get it fixed.  Apple accrues millions of dollars for warranty repairs for a reason.

Just stop. Touch ID fade is software related. It was not present in 7.0.1 and got introduced with .03,.04, and .1 betas.

post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

You guys are missing the point entirely. iTunes festival starts next week, and if the app requires 7.1 then that means 7.1 has to be ready before then. Understand?

1) Seconded.

2) I understand that some people just read the headline and not the article before jumping to the comments, but I don't understand why they would get worked up over the headline and then comment specifically on it without reading the article.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Seconded.

2) I understand that some people just read the headline and not the article before jumping to the comments, but I don't understand why they would get worked up over the headline and then comment specifically on it without reading the article.

Happens all the time here, and you're right it makes no sense for members to comment without knowing what they're commenting on.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

cause 99.99% of the people using touchID have ZERO problems.

 

he has a defective phone and should return it before its too late.

 

This is like someone grumbling that he has a flat tire but does nothing about it and continues to drive.  Get it fixed.  Apple accrues millions of dollars for warranty repairs for a reason.

More or less my reaction (returning a defective unit) as the "fade" being addressed doesn't appear to be a failure that occurs within days: that's possibly something else, either hardware or specific personal hygiene: Hey if your hands are either perpetually greasy or totally soiled or cold and wet then the tech just isn't gonna fit... so why not get the hardware checked out or replaced?

post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


Steve wouldn't put up with it. Nothing trollish about the reality if that statement.

And who is to say that Tim Cook 'puts up with it'? More likely he doesn't put up with it either, but is also less irrational about the proper way to fix software bugs...something other than stamping feet on the ground and demanding things be fixed.

 

I work in software. Do you know where that kind of management gets people? No where. Properly managed and scheduled bug fix releases result in better overall releases. One high-authoritity whining about a particular fix and derailing the programming schedule does nothing but slow things down and result in fewer bugs actually getting fixed per release.

post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post


You guys are missing the point entirely. iTunes festival starts next week, and if the app requires 7.1 then that means 7.1 has to be ready before then. Understand?

 

I do get it - that doesn't mean the formulation below is not misleading as far as the importance of 7.1 is concerned: 

 

"Apple will reportedly update its iOS application to support live streaming of the concerts from the SXSW festival"

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Happens all the time here, and you're right it makes no sense for members to comment without knowing what they're commenting on.

 

You speak Portuguese, Gatorguy?

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I do get it - that doesn't mean the formulation below is not misleading as far as the importance of 7.1 is concerned: 

"Apple will reportedly update its iOS application to support live streaming of the concerts from the SXSW festival"

Fact: The SWSX festival starts next week.

Fact: The iTunes festival app is needed for live streaming from the SXSW festival.

Fact: The iTunes festival app requires iOS 7.1.

Fact: iOS is currently only on 7.0.6.

Deduction: iOS will be updated to iOS 7.1 before the SWSX festival starts next week.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

Just stop. Touch ID fade is software related. It was not present in 7.0.1 and got introduced with .03,.04, and .1 betas.


 If its a software problem than how come 99.99% have no problems with touchID?

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And who is to say that Tim Cook 'puts up with it'? More likely he doesn't put up with it either, but is also less irrational about the proper way to fix software bugs...something other than stamping feet on the ground and demanding things be fixed.

It's not a bug, it's a major oversight.

You work in software? Woopdi-do.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

I heard they were waiting to release iOS 7.1 until the fluctuating price of marble rye stabilizes. Purely rumor though.

 

"Give me that marble rye you old bag!" —Jerry Seinfeld

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #33 of 52

Unlocking the phone with the keypad has one major flaw, the glowing numbers. They glow long enough for anyone who casually glances over your shoulder to figure it out. I tried it with my 10 yo nephew in law, and no matter how quick I typed, or how devious I was in moving my fingers, the glows always gave it away. This wasn't the case with iOS6... Very annoying. 

bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #34 of 52

Why on earth would the iTunes Festival app require 7.1?  The app has been feature rich for a couple of years now, what could they possibly be adding/changing that would only work with something in 7.1?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #35 of 52
I don't see a good reason to require IOS 7.1 in the Festival app, unless they are suddenly adding HEVC support in 7.1, so they can do better video streaming.
We can see in the recent adoption rates of 7.0.X that Apple doesn't need any user incentives to drag along people to update.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Steve wouldn't have put up with it.

Here's how to easily tell if Steve "wouldn't put up with it."

The day you see a hulking form dragging one leg and moving slowly toward the Apple HQ building, you will know something is going on that Steve wouldn't put up with.

God help the fool that did something so stupid to disturb Steve that bad.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

C'mon,"Steve wouldn't have put up with it"?

I'm surprised at you, resorting to this empty troll taunt. Be original and blame it on the loss of Scott.

(Four crashes on my iPad mini retina while posting this.)

Ever thought it might be the AI app that causes the crash. Try the iPhone version of the app. I have problems viewing the AI site on the android browser even though it loads OK in the Dolphin browser on my Samsung Tab. Not had any problems with the desktop site on my iPad mini retina.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 


return your phone and stop crying because you are too lazy to go to the store.

 

I did go to the store and return the phone. The new one has the same problem, called "Touch ID fade" that supposedly 7.1 will fix. I even programmed all 5 slots with the same finger, but it didn't help. After a week or so the ability of iOS 7.0x to recognize a print starts fading away.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #39 of 52
The Safari Crash issue is getting a lot of attention in the Forum:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/25066965?ac_cid=tw123456#25066965
post #40 of 52
i have to say i can't use the new i tunes and drive it keeps putting me in places i don't want to be mostly the i tunes store . i want to be in my non data download i tunes storage space not streaming from the goddam cloud and making att rich . i hope mr Ives discovers the back button at some point because getting to an app is easy getting out of one is less than obvious
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple expected to ship iOS 7.1 'any day now,' will support new iTunes Festival app
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple expected to ship iOS 7.1 'any day now,' will support new iTunes Festival app