or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Logitech unveils Apple TV-compatible Harmony Smart Keyboard for the living room

Logitech unveils Apple TV-compatible Harmony Smart Keyboard for the living room

post #1 of 30
Logitech on Tuesday took the wraps off of the latest addition to its Harmony intelligent remote control lineup: a Bluetooth-enabled keyboard with integrated touchpad, compatible with a plethora of living room devices, including the Apple TV.

Harmony Keyboard

Morges, Switzerland-based Logitech says the keyboard is designed as a way to speed up text entry and navigation on set-top devices, though the peripheral also features dedicated buttons for media controls like play and pause. Consumers who connect a Mac to their television can also make use of the integrated touchpad in lieu of a separate mouse or Magic Trackpad.

"Internet-connected and streaming-media devices seem to deliver limitless entertainment options, however their accompanying remotes struggle to keep up with the text entry needed to search for selections," Logitech marketing executive Chad Thompson said in a release. "Our goal with the Logitech Harmony Smart Keyboard is to unite Logitech's expertise in both universal remotes and keyboards to provide a fast and simple way to search for and navigate through the vast content options available through the living room's entertainment devices."

Harmony Keyboard

According to Logitech, the Harmony Smart Keyboard will work with more than 225,000 home-entertainment devices from over 5,000 brands. That includes game consoles like Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's PlayStation, for which the keyboard includes special navigation buttons.

The keyboard comes packaged with a radio frequency and infrared extender so that devices can be reached even when they are behind closed cabinet doors. Users can also control devices and setup the keyboard through Logitech's Harmony app for iOS.

The $149.99 Harmony Smart Keyboard is available now for preorder from Logitech's website, and the company expects to start shipping later this month.
post #2 of 30

Yeah, it is for smart TVs and set-top boxes... Ignore the Windows key while you are looking at it.

post #3 of 30
Most folks that have an Apple TV will use the Remote App on their iPad or iPhone. Why spend a bunch of extra money?
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

Most folks that have an Apple TV will use the Remote App on their iPad or iPhone. Why spend a bunch of extra money?

This. The entire idea of a 'couch keyboard' is mind-blowingly idiotic. That is what the iPhone/iPad is for.

post #5 of 30
OMG it costs more than the AppleTV... And I want one.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 30
So, is this a phablet size remote, or mini keyboard?

Backlit?
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

So, is this a phablet size remote, or mini keyboard?

Backlit?

Judging by the size of the iPhone, I’d say it’s standard Bluetooth keyboard sized, plus pointless trackpad.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #8 of 30
This is fugly and precisely the kind of junk I want to keep out of my house. Why add to the clutter? My iPhone/iPad work great as remote keyboards for Apple TV. My Macbook Airs function perfectly as remote keyboards if I'm sharing my screen to my TV via Apple Airplay.
post #9 of 30

What's with the Windows Logo?

post #10 of 30
It's too big.

Someone needs to get on kickstarter and make the Bluetooth love-child of this and the Apple Remote:

fzNteNi.jpg
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siyata View Post

I would guess they plan to market it to Windows users too for desktop use and media center.
post #12 of 30
Quote:

Exactly!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siyata View Post

I would guess they plan to market it to Windows users too for desktop use and media center.

Yeah, the site says it is Command on Mac and Menu on PS3, etc. In other words, they are catering to the Windows crowd and trying to expand their total addressable market by including AppleTV even though no self respecting AppleTV user would do this. ;)

post #14 of 30
This will probably be unnecessary when the next iteration of AppleTV comes out, but they have a small window available to exploit the consumer need.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 30
$150 BUCKS!?!?!? I think NOT!
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quote:

This. The entire idea of a 'couch keyboard' is mind-blowingly idiotic. That is what the iPhone/iPad is for.

If you are going to get a BT keyboard for your AppleTV, I can recommend one for less than half the price of this logitech turd. It is $69 and looks great with your other Apple products. ;)

post #17 of 30

The iPhone/iPad Remote apps don't control my TV, Roku, DVD player, AV Receiver, or any of my other hardware.  The beauty of the Harmony series of remotes is that they control virtually everything and are easy to pre-program with specific sequences (to make sure each set of hardware is not only on, but on the correct input setting, etc).  

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not advocating for this piece of hardware (which I'll never own), but to imply that an iPad/iPhone can do everything a Harmony remote can (without additional hardware) is just incorrect.

post #18 of 30
Why so huge for sofaware? It needs to be a third of the size for that purpose and a third of the price. What a useless piece of cr....
post #19 of 30
I wish Apple would make a BT version if their keyboard with built in trackpad.
post #20 of 30
Feels like WebTV all over again /s

Webtv.jpg
post #21 of 30

Regardless of price, I hope they keep updating the software for this in the future. I was gifted a Harmony 510 TV remote & it was totally configurable via usb with the Logitech software on my Mac Pro. However, the software stopped working & won't even launch. Extensive research & chat with Logitech customer service indicates the software requires Java 6 to run, & will not work with Java 7. Their solution, I should also install Java 6 so I can run this (one) program. I asked if they were going to upgrade their software to run Java 7 & Mavericks, & was thanked for my input.......

Hope they do better for the customers who purchase this above new product.

post #22 of 30

The Apple TV remote is a problem is search of a solution, but this is definitely not it. The existing remote is sleek, but all form over function.

As many have pointed out in various threads, neither is the Remote App on the iPhone.

Apple should revamp the dedicated remote to do a lot more. Maybe it will come with the Apple TV refresh. Or maybe they are not investing much into it since the Apple TV hardware itself is only $99 and they never used to pull in enough to justify more resources on fixing the remote.

Now, however, since Tim acknowledged that it is no longer a hobby, I'm hoping for a better input device soon.

post #23 of 30
DOA, next!

I do agree that the Remote App needs a better implementation though. One thing that I would really like to see is this: When I have the Remote App open because I'm watching a show, and my phone/iPad screen goes to sleep, I would like the ability to still be able to use the Remote from the lock screen without unlocking my phone. Been wishing for that for some time now.
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Apple should revamp the dedicated remote to do a lot more. Maybe it will come with the Apple TV refresh. Or maybe they are not investing much into it since the Apple TV hardware itself is only $99 and they never used to pull in enough to justify more resources on fixing the remote.

Now, however, since Tim acknowledged that it is no longer a hobby, I'm hoping for a better input device soon.

Exactly.
post #25 of 30
If you use a Harmony Ultimate to unify control of all the elements (components) of your entertainment center (as our home does), you'll understand what this keyboard is about. If there's an Apple ecosystem, similarly Harmony has developed a unified control ecosystem that ties together TVs, audio, gaming, iTunes content and all kinds of set-top boxes including cable, satellite, Apple TV, Roku, etc. This keyboard supports that ecosystem.

Before all the sniping begins, it's worth becoming familiar with Harmony Ultimate, including the iPhone and iPad apps that can operate it. The keyboard will be a convenient adjunct to the Ultimate schematic.

Ever tried to letter-search on Apple TV for a single music track, a podcast, a movie or a TV show in your computer's iTunes app - using only the Apple remote? Excruciatingly slow. For users like me, this keyboard will make searching a lot easier.

I agree on the physical design and form factor. It could be a lot more compact.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #26 of 30
I'm not going to spend more for a keyboard than for my Apple TV. If this was $50.00 then I would buy it. But $150.00 to expensive to add onto a $100.00 Apple TV.
post #27 of 30
$150?
Could someone please tell me what this keyboard does that a $39 bluetooth keyboard does not? Or even the Apple wireless keyboard? Is it really worth $100 extra?
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

I'm not going to spend more for a keyboard than for my Apple TV. If this was $50.00 then I would buy it. But $150.00 to expensive to add onto a $100.00 Apple TV.

Your call. But if you're using Harmony to control your whole entertainment system, it might be a different matter. The Ultimate lists at $349, though it can be found for $100 less.

post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

$150?
Could someone please tell me what this keyboard does that a $39 bluetooth keyboard does not? Or even the Apple wireless keyboard? Is it really worth $100 extra?

Read up on the Harmony Ultimate.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-ultimate

post #30 of 30
Nice size for my bedroom Apple TV setup! Just hoping Apple will introduce it next Apple TV box or stick this month!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Logitech unveils Apple TV-compatible Harmony Smart Keyboard for the living room